Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

fridge corn posted:

I think a real time combat system suits Yakuza better but I would prefer a turn based system over the joke of a combat system the games currently have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Jesus I only held the record for like half an hour

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Fridge corn can't be beaten for long. He worked to get to where he is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Judge Eyes series can keep the action combat while the main line switches to turn based (or something else entirely as long as it's good) and that's fine with me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Fridge corn can't be beaten for long. He worked to get to where he is.

CTH is cooking up something big. I can feel it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

hahaha Oh man this gif perfectly sums up the content of a lot of reports I see. I love it!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you need to revise that tier list

I am thinking you are right!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Persona 5 Royal and Dragon Quest 11 didn't come out that long ago, why are people acting like turn-based games are some kind of ancient lost art form now?

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

fridge corn posted:

I think a real time combat system suits Yakuza better but I would prefer a turn based system over the joke of a combat system the games currently have

I can't call it because I haven't played the turn based one yet but I have always felt the combat in Yakuza would be great for a new Three Stooges game with some modification

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Turn based combat is great and one of my favorite gameplay styles, but I immediately lose interest if the animations take too long. Thankfully it seems like most major turn-based games these days have pretty quick animations, or at least a way to speed them up. I haven’t seen too much Yakuza 7 gameplay (though I am definitely looking forward to it) but hopefully fights don’t drag on too much in that one.

Yakuza has always secretly been a JRPG so the new system fits.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I can understand the position of the yakuza combat apologist as it is not the main draw of the series but if you are not as invested in the characters, storyline, or side stories as I was, then the failings of the combat system become much more apparent

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Your post was actually correct tho. fridge’s is just unbridled lunacy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Judge Eyes series can keep the action combat while the main line switches to turn based (or something else entirely as long as it's good) and that's fine with me.

I’m not judging Yakuza 7s turn based combat until I try it, but going forward anything in the Yakuverse with real time combat needs to have a Bravely Default style option to switch it off. No more late game thug swarms, god dammit.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I just lose track of poo poo now in these sprawling 100+ hour games. I take breaks and come back and forget what I was even doing.

people who get "burnt out" on games with "too much content" always confuse me because like.. you know you don't have to do any side poo poo, right? I replayed HZD earlier this year and my total play time was like 20-25 hours or something because I did pretty much no sidequests (except the bandit camps, because Nil is the best), and that was WITH doing the DLC before the end.

I know there are some people who just can't resist, but HZD is not a long game if you're just in it for the main story, and that's the case with a lot of open world games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
While I tend to agree, the two best open world games are BotW (almost no story at all) or The Witcher 3 (basically the equivalent of 5 seasons of an HBO prestige drama) so it’s really up to the developers to figure out how to keep players engaged without compromising their vision

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

While I tend to agree, the two best open world games are BotW (almost no story at all) or The Witcher 3 (basically the equivalent of 5 seasons of an HBO prestige drama) so it’s really up to the developers to figure out how to keep players engaged without compromising their vision

:yeah:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

morallyobjected posted:

people who get "burnt out" on games with "too much content" always confuse me because like.. you know you don't have to do any side poo poo, right? I replayed HZD earlier this year and my total play time was like 20-25 hours or something because I did pretty much no sidequests (except the bandit camps, because Nil is the best), and that was WITH doing the DLC before the end.

I know there are some people who just can't resist, but HZD is not a long game if you're just in it for the main story, and that's the case with a lot of open world games.

You're right, but for me what tends to happen is that I hit a "wall". I'll be doing tons of side stuff, maybe grinding for XP or equipment, maybe an inkling towards going for the plat, and then all of a sudden it's like wow, what am I doing, let's finish this game and move on. And unfortunately that's a hard thing to anticipate.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's more than one Judgment game?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I got burnt out on hzd because I was stupidly doing the bad content thinking that was the game rather than just enjoying the story.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ExCruceLeo posted:

There's more than one Judgment game?

Hopefully.....

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I wondered myself if, going forward, it would be Judgment games set in Kamurocho with action combat, and Yakuza games set in whereever 7 is mainly set with turn based combat. I love yakuza games and I like turn based combat well enough so I'm broadly okay with that if it was the plan. I've not played 7 yet, but I just need to finish 5 and I'll have finished all the yakuza games with western PS4 releases (yes, including Fist of the North Star, which I'd rate as "fine" overall).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Hopefully.....
Yeah, I totally want another one is what I mean.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Is there is a Discord for this thread?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

owl_pellet posted:

Is there is a Discord for this thread?

the thread is the discourse.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hail eris

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

exquisite tea posted:

I don't know if I can agree. Spider-Man is one of the most egregious examples of "so you thought you were done with the collectibles, now here's 7 more types of them, all in places you already had to visit to get the first 7 sets of collectibles."

Yeah, granted - but I guess I see those as just another excuse to swing through the city, and given that they're on the map and marked by light shooting into the sky they're not exactly fiddly.

I'm thinking more about (to use the most recent examples I've played) GoW or TLOU, where you never want to just follow the quest marker or go the obvious route, because otherwise you might miss the chest with resources in it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong (I'm probably doing it wrong), but I think THAT kind of resource gathering or exploration is kind of inelegant, as it kind of incentivises sprinting around the perimeter of every area/room just in case you missed something, and also breaks immersion a little, as sometimes an NPC can be like "follow me! urgently! now!" and you're all like 'hold up a sec just need to open all these cupboards".

Again, maybe this says more about me than the actual game design...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
wait beside the backpacks what collectibles did spider-man have?

Or are you referring to the drone challenges, crimes, and combat challenges as collectibles? That seems like totally separate things to me. When I think of Collectibles I think you mean Banjo Kazooie.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Bust Rodd posted:

wait beside the backpacks what collectibles did spider-man have?

Or are you referring to the drone challenges, crimes, and combat challenges as collectibles? That seems like totally separate things to me. When I think of Collectibles I think you mean Banjo Kazooie.

it had a ton of collectibles beside the backpack, the newspapers, jjj stuff, audio recording, photo ops, secret photos ops, the tokens, the outfits

and gently caress yeah i got every last one of them baby.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

do you remember playing spider-man ps4 for the first time, thinking man i hope it isnt as bad as its probably gonna be and then the game went out of its loving way to be incredible in both storytelling, playable cinematics, characters, setpieces AND gameplay.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jun 5, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No, but I don't play games assuming they're going to be bad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
oh word you are correct. I didn't remeber any of that, but I have the plat so I mustve gotten em all lol. I just remeber the awesome story and incredible gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if there were flaws i wouldn't have forgiven in less fun games.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

No, but I don't play games assuming they're going to be bad

the best way to do it, always some good to come out of it. think sometimes i still get discouraged by over-hype or some other dumb bullshit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I did not like yakuza Kiwani and never played any of the others because of it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Mr Hootington posted:

I did not like yakuza Kiwani and never played any of the others because of it.

0 is like ten times better than Kiwani 1.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, granted - but I guess I see those as just another excuse to swing through the city, and given that they're on the map and marked by light shooting into the sky they're not exactly fiddly.

I'm thinking more about (to use the most recent examples I've played) GoW or TLOU, where you never want to just follow the quest marker or go the obvious route, because otherwise you might miss the chest with resources in it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong (I'm probably doing it wrong), but I think THAT kind of resource gathering or exploration is kind of inelegant, as it kind of incentivises sprinting around the perimeter of every area/room just in case you missed something, and also breaks immersion a little, as sometimes an NPC can be like "follow me! urgently! now!" and you're all like 'hold up a sec just need to open all these cupboards".

Again, maybe this says more about me than the actual game design...

This is the huge difference in me playing Uncharted 4 and then immediately going into FF7R. I knew from past Uncharted games that I didn't give a poo poo about finding the hidden treasures and it was nice going through the levels linearly and matching the pace of the story.

Whereas in FF7R it's exactly what you're taking about where the path I'm supposed to follow is the one I avoid for as long as possible looking through every nook and cranny because otherwise good and important stuff is missed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
PS5/PC Bloodborne remaster appears to be the first sprung leak from the delayed presentation

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Im itching to pick up something from the days of play sale, in the threads opinion, which is the best sequel?

-South Park 2
-Shadow of War
-Wolfenstein 2

I really enjoyed the first iteration of either of these, but im not sure what to grab.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

PacoPepe posted:

Im itching to pick up something from the days of play sale, in the threads opinion, which is the best sequel?

-South Park 2
-Shadow of War
-Wolfenstein 2

I really enjoyed the first iteration of either of these, but im not sure what to grab.

I think most goons will tell you that each of these three games suffer from diminishing returns, but I really enjoyed Wolf 2 and that would be my pick.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

man nurse posted:

I think most goons will tell you that each of these three games suffer from diminishing returns

I agree. I've only played Shadow of War and Wolfenstein 2, but of those two I would pick Shadow of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

PacoPepe posted:

-South Park 2
-Shadow of War
-Wolfenstein 2

I'm playing through Shadow of War and be aware; this game was designed to be played with loot boxes, and now that they don't exist you can get some serious balance and difficulty issues (I had to bump it down to easy). The challenge seems to be less "how can you exploit this captains only weakness" and more "how can you get Talion to do what you want him to do while surrounded by a literally infinite stream of orcs"