Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Nature's Claim is solid gold, and I'm kind of surprised to not see Disenchant. It looks like a solid deck though.

If you're going for Landfalls, Thawing Glaciers is maybe a good pick (and it's a relatively low-priced reserve list card)? Emeria, the Sky Ruin could also be a nice add. I'm not sure how aggressive your intended power level is, where land drops on turns 10+ are a factor for you. Slow lands are only going to help in pretty long games.

As far as I'm concerned, Angel's Grace is basically mandatory in nonblue decks like this, and Gideon of the Trials really helps with sneaky combo wins, and as much stax as you can manage without slowing yourself down. Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem, Drannith Magistrate, Grafdigger's Cage come to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
I've been considering building a spider tribal using Thantis and Revenge of Ravens.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

This deck looks solid. My only comments:

You're running 35 lands (if you exclude Maze of Ith, which you should). That is fairly lean, especially since your ramp package is not especially large either (I count 6 cards: Kodamivate x2, Ringu, Birb, Stupid Sexy Dryad, and Green Future Sight). Normally you want 10ish? Basically, you don't want to have a game where you are stuck on 3 lands where Karametra can't save you. I'd suggest finding a spot for Sakura Tribe Elder (also a creature for added value) and probably Rampant Growth and maybe one other at least, maybe Search for Tomorrow or Caravan Vigil if you think you can trigger it (though it's not ramp without morbid). For more landfall, you could try Khalni Heart Expedition but I fear that the 2CMC is deceiving on that one since you need two lands to get it off. If you have that and 2 lands in hand, that is not helping you. Lotus Cobra has the same problem but has certain higher upside and is a creature. Frankly, if you just want creatures to get more out of Karametra, Avacyn's Pilgrim fits the bill quite nicely.

Here's another question: what do you do when you run out of lands to get with Karametra? If things run long or you get foiled once or twice, you only have 20. If you're Fleetwood Panthering over and over again, it could happen. (BTW, inclusion of Fleetwood Panther and Duskcloaker is *chef's kiss* ) Then again, you''d have drawn 20 cards so maybe that is a good problem to have. Also, yes, that means you are more likely to draw gas, but if that gas is all Landfall synergies, they might be a little limp without the help. I feel that's another reason to up the count.

Do you want a backup Karametra if she somehow gets permanently dealt with? Perilous Forays might be an interesting include to get landfall considering your go-wide strat, but I dunno if it's better than much of what you're already running. That's probably a meta decision if she's getting Darksteel Mutationed or something.

Emeria Shepard would synergize with repeatable rattlesnakes like Seal of Cleansing, Seal of Primordium or Soul Snare or something. Or, hell, Wayfarer's Bauble: not just for non-green decks anymore. You can't choose inclusions around one single card, but if they are effects you wanted anyway, that can be a reason to choose one or the other.

I will definitely look into my early mana issues, I wasn't thinking about that (I cut a bunch of mana dorks and now I realize I don't have those). I have some options if I can't pull lands out with Karametra if I want landfall triggers, namely I have cloudstone curio to bounce lands to my hand to replay them but if I've ripped that many lands out of my deck I'm going to go in for the kill turning my lands into creatures or turning their lands into creatures and having Elesh Norn out. I want to try and stick with creatures if I can so I'll probably go Sakura-Tribe Elder/Qasali Pridemage/etc instead of a sorcery or enchantment.

Infinite Karma posted:

Nature's Claim is solid gold, and I'm kind of surprised to not see Disenchant. It looks like a solid deck though.

If you're going for Landfalls, Thawing Glaciers is maybe a good pick (and it's a relatively low-priced reserve list card)? Emeria, the Sky Ruin could also be a nice add. I'm not sure how aggressive your intended power level is, where land drops on turns 10+ are a factor for you. Slow lands are only going to help in pretty long games.

As far as I'm concerned, Angel's Grace is basically mandatory in nonblue decks like this, and Gideon of the Trials really helps with sneaky combo wins, and as much stax as you can manage without slowing yourself down. Stony Silence, Null Rod, Cursed Totem, Drannith Magistrate, Grafdigger's Cage come to mind.

Like I said previously, if a creature can do what an enchantment or artifact can do I'll probably go that route. My stax in the deck are: Aven Mindcensor, Collector Ouphe, Grand Abolisher, Linvala, Shalai, and Rest in Peace.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

do u believe in marigolds posted:

I will definitely look into my early mana issues, I wasn't thinking about that (I cut a bunch of mana dorks and now I realize I don't have those). I have some options if I can't pull lands out with Karametra if I want landfall triggers, namely I have cloudstone curio to bounce lands to my hand to replay them but if I've ripped that many lands out of my deck I'm going to go in for the kill turning my lands into creatures or turning their lands into creatures and having Elesh Norn out. I want to try and stick with creatures if I can so I'll probably go Sakura-Tribe Elder/Qasali Pridemage/etc instead of a sorcery or enchantment.

Like I said previously, if a creature can do what an enchantment or artifact can do I'll probably go that route. My stax in the deck are: Aven Mindcensor, Collector Ouphe, Grand Abolisher, Linvala, Shalai, and Rest in Peace.

You probably want null rod, and Drannith Magistrate. Sylvan advocate, maybe thelonite druid, rude awakening, overrun, and if you can afford it kamahl fist of krosa. Also where you can you want to add as many search lands as possible, as they will generate 2 landfall triggers for you instead of one.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I'm in love with this Pako/Haldan list and slapped together a cheap imitation pile out of cards I own, and it's a really fun deck!
Pako becomes terrifying pretty fast, and the amount of cards you rip off the top is just insane. Ordered a bunch of pieces to take my pile from jank to an actual deck. Taking infinite turns and playing fetch with my constantly growing dog, just as Richard Garfield intended.

junan_paalla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 2, 2020

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My friend built a Zaxara, the Exemplary deck and she went the standard route of hydras and X spells. I feel like this commander could be a fun, combo style deck that breaks away from creatures. Zaxara + Freed from the Reel/Pemmin's Aura is infinite mana and can one shot a pod with dozens of mil cards or black life loss. Besides cramming the deck full of tutors, removal and X sorcery spells I'm at a loss on ways to generate infinite mana or other combo oriented play. I figured the goon hive mind might have a idea or 6.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rythe posted:

My friend built a Zaxara, the Exemplary deck and she went the standard route of hydras and X spells. I feel like this commander could be a fun, combo style deck that breaks away from creatures. Zaxara + Freed from the Reel/Pemmin's Aura is infinite mana and can one shot a pod with dozens of mil cards or black life loss. Besides cramming the deck full of tutors, removal and X sorcery spells I'm at a loss on ways to generate infinite mana or other combo oriented play. I figured the goon hive mind might have a idea or 6.

Kinnan helps grease these wheels a lot. Kinnan + Grim/Basalt Monolith alone generates infinite colorless.

Any creature that taps for multiple mana, at least one of which being blue, can go infinite with Freed/Pemmins. Bloom Tender comes to mind.

Tidespout Tyrant + any two mana positive rocks creates infinite mana as well.

Then there’s IsoRev, Isochron Scepter + Dramatic Reversal. If you’ve got anything on board that taps for more than 2 mana you go infinite.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I were you my main win conditions would be Villainous Wealth, Finale of Devastation and Torrent of Hailfire

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

If I were you my main win conditions would be Villainous Wealth, Finale of Devastation and Torrent of Hailfire

Those are auto includes but I also found a crap ton of spells with infinite mana that let's me drain everybody's life or infinite mill. It is getting to the infinite mana first that was my worry, I have tons of payoffs after that. The post above yours has so many good ideas I'm going to look into.

Looks like all those combo pieces are incredible, might have to find a few more tutors like trinket mage and a few others that let me find all those combo pieces on top of card draw. I'm trying to go creatureless besides the commander but Bloom Tender and Trinket Mage is to good.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 3, 2020

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rythe posted:

Those are auto includes but I also found a crap ton of spells with infinite mana that let's me drain everybody's life or infinite mill. It is getting to the infinite mana first that was my worry, I have tons of payoffs after that. The post above yours has so many good ideas I'm going to look into.

Looks like all those combo pieces are incredible, might have to find a few more tutors like trinket mage and a few others that let me find all those combo pieces on top of card draw. I'm trying to go creatureless besides the commander but Bloom Tender and Trinket Mage is to good.

You’ll want to include the following creatures:
Trinket mage
Tribute mage
Trophy mage
Snapcaster mage
Spellseeker
Kinnan
Bloom Tender
Mana dorks
Walking Ballista

And tutors to grab your combo pieces. You’re in black which means you have access to the best tutor suite - make use of it.

For draw don’t go too wild. Quality of draws is better than quantity of draws in most cases. Sylvan Library, Mystic Remora, Rhystic Study, Divining Top, Brainstorm, and fetches to move cards around. That’s really all you need.

You won’t have to pack too many wincons if your tutor suite is comprehensive. With zax in your cz you’ll need to have it survive a turn, then get enchanted and have something to do with that mana. 2.5 card combo so keep that in mind. Your most important task will be keeping zax alive until it can tap.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

How important would sorcery ramp/ basic land fetch be? Im thinking I can leave out the artifact signets in place of sol ring, crypt and both monoliths.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rythe posted:

How important would sorcery ramp/ basic land fetch be? Im thinking I can leave out the artifact signets in place of sol ring, crypt and both monoliths.

Ramp:
Mana dorks (llanowar elves, elvish mystic, elves of deep shadow, fyndhorn elves, birds, deathrite shaman, bloom tender, priest of Titania maybe)
Mana positive rocks (crypt, vault, monoliths, chrome mox, mox diamond if you can afford it)
Talisman and/or signets (for color fixing, the ability to turn colorless mana in to the colors you want)
Carpet of Flowers
MAYBE green suns zenith + dryad arbor

That’s all you really need for ramp. You’ll be running 6-8 dorks so that should cover it.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Using that as ramp instead of land tutor freed up about 6 slots for other spells. I think I have 12 spots to fill not including mana base. Is tapped out the best way to post a deck shell for critique?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I prefer deckstats but put it in the deck builder of your choice and give us the list.

Keep in mind we’re looking at a higher power level here. Make sure your play group is ok with that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I prefer Moxfield it’s so much cleaner and snappier and aesthetically pleasing than the other sites IMO

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/q6p9XllsW0a3PvvhGUFHCQ

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My play group varies from high powered to super casual based on who shows up and my last 3 decks I built where fun but super casual and heavily creature based which is not my preferred play style. Combo is where my heart always goes back to and it's time to break out some busted stuff.

Off the top of my head I have most the expensive stuff minus a Snapcaster and Ballista, everything else needs to get borrowed/proxied from other decks. Zaxara is a nice commander as everybody will assume it's a typical hydra tribal and might let me sneak a win or two out.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

https://deckstats.net/decks/86640/1659925-infinite-zaxar

Unless I have a copy of intuition laying around I'll probably pull that one, didn't realize it was a reserve list card. Other than that this is a rough shell with fillers like Damnation and Bribery (pet card), go to town on suggestions.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Rythe posted:

Unless I have a copy of intuition laying around I'll probably pull that one, didn't realize it was a reserve list card. Other than that this is a rough shell with fillers like Damnation and Bribery (pet card), go to town on suggestions.
Thrasios should be in there as another infinite mana outlet. Arbor Elf + Wild Growth + Utopia Sprawl is solid mana ramp and another Freed from the Real target. Blue Sun's Zenith and Green Sun's Zenith are just solid, and they're X spells to boot.

I'm assuming you're just trying to make a high powered casual deck and not cEDH? You could probably use 5-10 more bits of cheap countermagic and removal, too. Capsize might be a good card instead of Distorting Wake. It's not an X spell, but it's better as a high-mana outlet and cheaper to cast on the low end.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rythe posted:

I think you want to be a bit more conscious of where your infinite mana goes to win the game. If you're going to combo off and outright win, you might want to keep the more "global" kills of Mind Grind, Exsanguinate, Torment of Hellfire and such. Gelatinous Genesis gives your opponents a turn to react, the X draw spells that can target players (Brain Geyser, Mind Spring, Damnable Pact) do have the added benefit of being cards you can cast to win the game, but in a multiplayer game it's awkward. My opinion is that if you're going to spend the resources to go infinite, it's better for the table if you just try and take everyone out rather than "Target Player Loses".

If you're trying to be "nice" and don't want to be "that player" to instantly win, then don't include the other ways to globally kill people, pick a lane. Finally if you are trying to infinite combo, I think you want other cards that can protect Zaxara like Heroic Intervention, Lazotep Plating or Pact of Negation.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The gelantinous and x draws are more for protection and cantrips with the added advantage of taking out a player in one shot via decking. I am all for complete table death with global kills, I am going to put as many as I can in the deck if I can find all of them.

I agree, I need more protection for my combo pieces and probably better spot removal and counter magic. I have a bunch of fillers like damnation that can be removed.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rythe posted:

You’ll need a lot more counter magic and a lot fewer sorcery x spells. Force of Will, Force of Negation, Pact of Negation, Swan Song, and Fierce Guardianship all spring to mind, but you can include negate, dispel, and classic counterspell too.

Blue Sun’s Zenith is a good option for winning at instant speed too, at very least it presents some counterplay with decking an opponent in response to them winning or stopping you.

Winning via Lab Man/Jace/Thassas Oracle after decking yourself is an option too.

Ditch regrowth for Noxious Revival. You need to be doing more at instant speed. You’re going to have infinite mana, what good is it if you can’t use it in an opponents turn.

Stroke of Genius and Erebos’ Intervention should go in.

Remove:
Migration Path
Gelatinous genesis
Entrancing melody

And two of:
Mind spring
Brain geyser
Damnable pact

Make sure you have lines to win that ignore your opponents.

Also regarding your lands, remove the ETB tapped lands in favor of lands that add a mana of any color. City of Brass, mana confluence, reflecting pool, exotic/forbidden orchard, etc. you don’t even have command tower in there yet. Also use every fetch you can until they outlaw off color fetches.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I agrees I have way too many sorcery spells going for instants is way stronger.

I like the Lab Man win con but I might forge that as I have that in another deck and it makes my friends bitchy winning that way.

edit: I made a bunch of cuts to the sorcery spells and added in a few lands that I completely bypassed, the lands will be a work in progress later on though when I have the main cards decided on. Cutting all the sorcery spells definitely streamlined the deck nicely and helped narrow down the focus and the counter magic is smart as I should have a ton of mana just laying around. I am going to link the new deck for further critique, I am thinking a 60/40 split cards to lands and I need to either go less lands or find 4 cards to cut in the current list.

Thanks for all the helpful critiques and linking of some cards I haven't even heard/thought of.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2020

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Rythe posted:

I agrees I have way too many sorcery spells going for instants is way stronger.

I like the Lab Man win con but I might forge that as I have that in another deck and it makes my friends bitchy winning that way.

edit: I made a bunch of cuts to the sorcery spells and added in a few lands that I completely bypassed, the lands will be a work in progress later on though when I have the main cards decided on. Cutting all the sorcery spells definitely streamlined the deck nicely and helped narrow down the focus and the counter magic is smart as I should have a ton of mana just laying around. I am going to link the new deck for further critique, I am thinking a 60/40 split cards to lands and I need to either go less lands or find 4 cards to cut in the current list.

Thanks for all the helpful critiques and linking of some cards I haven't even heard/thought of.

With the dorks and rocks you’re running you can likely go with 30 - 32 lands. Consider each dork and rock 0.5 lands.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Balon posted:

With the dorks and rocks you’re running you can likely go with 30 - 32 lands. Consider each dork and rock 0.5 lands.

Man it's been forever since I brewed a deck, I had forgotten that conversion. Guess I have at least 2 more cards places to fill now.

I cleaned up everything and got it down to 67/68 playable cards with 32/33 lands. I'll figure out the mana base when I settle on cards, what I have listed are cards I own or can reliably aquire.

Rythe fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 4, 2020

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Rythe posted:

Man it's been forever since I brewed a deck, I had forgotten that conversion. Guess I have at least 2 more cards places to fill now.

I cleaned up everything and got it down to 67/68 playable cards with 32/33 lands. I'll figure out the mana base when I settle on cards, what I have listed are cards I own or can reliably aquire.

I don't see an Ancient Tomb or Zagoth Triome in your land base. I'm not sure if you considered Gadwick, Logic Knot, Syncopate, Doubling Season, or Astral Cornucopia either.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Bust Rodd posted:

I prefer Moxfield it’s so much cleaner and snappier and aesthetically pleasing than the other sites IMO

Thanks for this! I'm converting all my decks from Tappedout to Moxfield right now. The difference is huge.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

:3:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow, how am I just hearing about this website?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

missed opportunity to have them sewn together like catdog

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Clowner posted:

Wow, how am I just hearing about this website?

They are also updating the site at a much faster rate than these sites usually do, and are super active on twitter about feedback and stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The guy behind it is also very active in their discord. I've popped in a few times and immediately gotten responses to questions, plus sneak peaks at upcoming features are cool.

For instance, there's a very early version of deck comparison already implemented. Just go to a moxfield URL and put "/compare" at the end. Then paste in another deck's URL. It'll show you the differences between the two decks.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

They are also updating the site at a much faster rate than these sites usually do, and are super active on twitter about feedback and stuff.

That's sweet!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why dogs and not hounds?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Heath posted:

Why dogs and not hounds?

Hounds are now dogs

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I ain't nothin' but a hound, dawg.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Wow yes Moxfield is fantastic!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so the entire format is going to undergo a massive paradigm shift.

https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1269364438408278023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toshimo posted:

Ok, so the entire format is going to undergo a massive paradigm shift.

https://twitter.com/ChannelFireball/status/1269364438408278023

That was probably the last big "bad feels" inducing rules interaction that was hanging around for players new to the format. It's probably a good thing? Question mark? Though I guess I don't know how much better the format honestly needs to be doing anyway. It's the most popular format by a mile.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I had always thought the way it now works is how it has worked all along and only now found out I've been wrong

Well, at least I'm right now. :unsmith:

How much of an impact is this going to have, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Me, my GF and our local stores might have been doing it wrong but that is how we always treated it. The commander dies/is exiled etc, and then you (can) send it to the command zone. Like that seems logical to me/us ?

Like the death/exile goes on the stack, poo poo triggers, and when resolving you can put it into the command zone. Seems logical to me.