Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also

These numbers are pretty solid, if not outright good (great would be an overstatement).

That is still 1.5million more than the total number of REGISTERED Star citizen users.

If we still counted the 1/3rd paid accounts/just sign ups ratio, it's not even a discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

in my space game I find it beneficial if I can walk past a janitor and see people go to lunch

but is the janitor an NPC or not????

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Buying $15000 worth of video game spaceships is the prefect way to trigger those SJWs.

it just blows my goddamn mind that this the hill they want to die on, $15000 in the hole for the crobbler.

my friends keep asking me, "what is your obsession with SC? no one you know has even bought in" but i just... can't... stop... watching this trainwreck. i feel like the negative universe version of that guy who has his own discord containment channel to shill SC.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Oh man this is perfect and perfectly highlights something I've been commenting about- as they go onwards, their design is actually getting more and more terrible. The early stations didn't have many greebles and a spaceman could jump out of bed and straight into his ship, which at the time seemed like an onerous chore but now feels totally delightful in comparison to the awful, awful state of cities. They also lock all the "Trade Terminals" behind giant train rides so tack on ~5 minutes any time you need to make a trade at one of the big towns, as well.

Also, despite there being 3 different cities with 3 entirely different design languages, the actions the player takes are identical, right down to the second. Hab -> Elevator -> Run -> Train -> Run -> Spawn Ship -> Elevator -> Hangar. Everything feels lovely and same-y because everything is lovely and same-y, with different coats of paint.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah but those paint coats are full of fidelity!

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

pipelines

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:v: - I wish logging out in your ship's bed would actually work, doing it in my freelancer gave me the nice infinite loading bug and had to reset...

:homebrew: - I've been consistently logging off in my bed and so far it has always worked, I'm talking exclusively as of the 3.9 as I didn't own a ship with a bed before. Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you consistently.

:v: - Where do you respawn when logging out in your ship? and is your ship landed somewhere when you log off?

:homebrew: - I respawn in my bed, and the ship is where I left it when I logged out or somewhere nearby, yesterday I logged off nearby Grim hex landing pads and I logged in into my ship but I was midway between Yela and Grim hex, still pretty close! Other times I log in exactly where I was. Always in the bed of your ship anyway. The ship is a Vanguard for what is worth.

Star Citizen: Pretty Close!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Star Citizen 2024: You wake up and jump out of your wankpod. Your feet touch soft carpet. Where are your shoes? Stored away in the closet, dummy. Using the twelve separate inventory systems, you must grab each item of clothing and place it on your body- make sure you match your left and right socks, you get a bonus for that- before you are able to leave your room. Failure to dress before leaving your room results in a criminal penalty and deskeletonization. Once out, you'll need to make your way to a Roberts Space Industries (tm) Brand Breakfast Nook Sponsored By RSI and order a fry-up. Be sure to read the menu carefully, many ingredients are intended for non-human residents and will kill you instantly if they make it into your meal! Once you've eaten enough to not die of starvation within the next 15 minutes, you'll want to go hunting for your ship. But oops, you forgot to pay the registration and license fees! Hurry along to the DMV where a realistic lobby-waiting simulator has been prepared for you. Take a number and spend the next 2 hours checking it against the sign on the wall! Since numbers in the future are in alien languages, this will be more of a pattern-recognition game than one of counting. Be careful- if you miss your turn, space police will shoot you dead for loitering too long!

Finally, fees paid, you'll need to- no, wait, you're hungry again. Better gulp down a Chris Roberts Nutri-Slurry by purchasing it from the janitor in the bathroom, looking at the item in your hand, pressing F to activate interactions, pressing H to activate your "Head" intention, setting P to indicate you want your action to be peaceful- oops, you hit H for harmful and jammed the sauce pouch through a man's skull. Now the law is after you for real- a seventeen star bounty rating! If you go to jail with those kinds of numbers you will have to wait 35 real-time years to play the game again, or pay big cash for a one-time-only consumable space attorney and engage in a lengthy court battle! Quickly, get to your ship! Oops, they still haven't fixed the bug where the ladders kill you. As your broken body is flung away from the station at nine hundred miles per hour, you black out, knowing that the next thing you see will be your wankpod all over again. What a magnificent game, you think to yourself. I'm glad of my eighty-six thousand dollar investment in Chris's vision.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh man this is perfect and perfectly highlights something I've been commenting about- as they go onwards, their design is actually getting more and more terrible. The early stations didn't have many greebles and a spaceman could jump out of bed and straight into his ship, which at the time seemed like an onerous chore but now feels totally delightful in comparison to the awful, awful state of cities. They also lock all the "Trade Terminals" behind giant train rides so tack on ~5 minutes any time you need to make a trade at one of the big towns, as well.

Also, despite there being 3 different cities with 3 entirely different design languages, the actions the player takes are identical, right down to the second. Hab -> Elevator -> Run -> Train -> Run -> Spawn Ship -> Elevator -> Hangar. Everything feels lovely and same-y because everything is lovely and same-y, with different coats of paint.

you are clearly in the wrong, according to the comments

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sarsapariller posted:

Star Citizen 2024: You wake up and jump out of your wankpod. Your feet touch soft carpet. Where are your shoes? Stored away in the closet, dummy. Using the twelve separate inventory systems, you must grab each item of clothing and place it on your body- make sure you match your left and right socks, you get a bonus for that- before you are able to leave your room. Failure to dress before leaving your room results in a criminal penalty and deskeletonization. Once out, you'll need to make your way to a Roberts Space Industries (tm) Brand Breakfast Nook Sponsored By RSI and order a fry-up. Be sure to read the menu carefully, many ingredients are intended for non-human residents and will kill you instantly if they make it into your meal! Once you've eaten enough to not die of starvation within the next 15 minutes, you'll want to go hunting for your ship. But oops, you forgot to pay the registration and license fees! Hurry along to the DMV where a realistic lobby-waiting simulator has been prepared for you. Take a number and spend the next 2 hours checking it against the sign on the wall! Since numbers in the future are in alien languages, this will be more of a pattern-recognition game than one of counting. Be careful- if you miss your turn, space police will shoot you dead for loitering too long!

Finally, fees paid, you'll need to- no, wait, you're hungry again. Better gulp down a Chris Roberts Nutri-Slurry by purchasing it from the janitor in the bathroom, looking at the item in your hand, pressing F to activate interactions, pressing H to activate your "Head" intention, setting P to indicate you want your action to be peaceful- oops, you hit H for harmful and jammed the sauce pouch through a man's skull. Now the law is after you for real- a seventeen star bounty rating! If you go to jail with those kinds of numbers you will have to wait 35 real-time years to play the game again, or pay big cash for a one-time-only consumable space attorney and engage in a lengthy court battle! Quickly, get to your ship! Oops, they still haven't fixed the bug where the ladders kill you. As your broken body is flung away from the station at nine hundred miles per hour, you black out, knowing that the next thing you see will be your wankpod all over again. What a magnificent game, you think to yourself. I'm glad of my eighty-six thousand dollar investment in Chris's vision.

it's amazing that i can actually imagine a lot of this making its way into the gamen't.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Have to say I just fired up Elite after a long time without playing and I find myself enjoying it more than I expected, given the general hostility towards in on this thread. Sure, you have to use your imagination a lot to immerse yourself in it, but that reminds me of the old DOS days, when most games were like that to some degree or another. Besides, if this alternative is having to actually walk a character around to perform basic tasks, a la SC, I know I prefer elite's version.

Sure, having a walky-man is fun as well, but not everything has to be a Ubisoft or Rock Star game. Just show me some cool space stuff and let my imagination do the rest, and I'm pretty good. Throw in some progression mechanics and I have stuff to do. How bad is that, really?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Needs more train rides.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller posted:

quote:

I think the opposite. This is how it should be. This type of realism needs to be there to make the other things in the game worth it.

You can just stay docked in space, never come to planets... problem solved.

quote:

See, that's the thing. What you and others are not really getting.

There is value in me delivering something to a place you are not willing to go, for whatever reason. I derive fun from that. Yes, even if that is me sitting on a train with a box.

Let me give you something to think about - the Argo MPUV. Consider exactly why that ship exists... and then realize what type of game SC is intending to be.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
Did they ever release that Squadron 54 video? Or the video explaining why the SQ54 video was delayed? How long has it been delayed by this point?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
CIG's philosophy is to make every moment of game play a long drawn out bore so that when you do finally get to do something fun you enjoy it that much more.

It's sort of like putting a plastic bag around your head and then just as you are about to pass out someone pulls it off and that first breath of fresh air is that much more enjoyable!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Asmodai_00 posted:

but is the janitor an NPC or not????

Why with this AI it is impossible to tell!

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I know this is lame rear end posting but just purging the Pictures folder

Blast from the Past #5

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

:allears:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Did they ever release that Squadron 54 video? Or the video explaining why the SQ54 video was delayed? How long has it been delayed by this point?

i think ci posted a comment why the video, which explains why the video teaser of squadron 64 will be delayed, was delayed.

and it was....drumroll...because chris was not happy with the quality of the video.
so the video teaser for squadron 73 was not up to snuff, but squadron 85 itself is.

but all this will be expained in the video, which....yadayada

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

his nibs posted:

I know this is lame rear end posting but just purging the Pictures folder

Blast from the Past #5

Do you have toejam's sexy bears meltdown?

That was one of my favorites. :iiasb:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/guvfp5/this_week_in_star_citizen_roberts_space/

:trustme: Last but not least, we’re aware that many of you eagerly await the Squadron 42 Update video we had mentioned previously. We’re eager too! So much so, that we jumped the gun and posted a publish date prematurely. We mentioned editorial issues, and to be very specific about what that meant, the video just wasn’t good enough, which oftentimes can be the case when working creatively. It’s very rare that we publish any video without it going through some level of iteration – our goal is to provide you all with meaningful content after-all. For this episode, it lacked the b-roll to properly illustrate what we were discussing, which led to it feeling like a lot of words without visual substance. We played with it, and added more visuals to better accompany our discussion. However, it became clear that we still weren’t quite there. So we’ve had to re-shoot some of it to better reflect what we want to show.

To properly set expectations, this specific video is just another way to share more information by checking in with Brian Chambers and some of the devs and seeing what they are working on. Our goal overall is simply to create more ways to share Squadron 42 progress updates with you, especially in lieu of the Roadmap visualization which is being updated. We don’t want to leave you in the dark! So, while progress continues on an updated Roadmap (which we’re looking forward to rolling out), stay tuned and we’ll update the community content schedule as quickly as possible, and not before it’s ready.

:lol:

HorseBodyInspector
Dec 14, 2018

cmdrk posted:

it just blows my goddamn mind that this the hill they want to die on, $15000 in the hole for the crobbler.

my friends keep asking me, "what is your obsession with SC? no one you know has even bought in" but i just... can't... stop... watching this trainwreck. i feel like the negative universe version of that guy who has his own discord containment channel to shill SC.

It is my case as well. I feel like trapped in some version of Silent Hill, unable to escape .
I didn't pledge, even in 2012, because each next wing commander was more interactive movie and less game....Still cannot stop
watching.

I think my situation is best described by this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUQyEr-sg0

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Why with this AI it is impossible to tell!

amazing

I bought an idris because of this

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Quavers posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/guvfp5/this_week_in_star_citizen_roberts_space/

:trustme: Last but not least, we’re aware that many of you eagerly await the Squadron 42 Update video we had mentioned previously. We’re eager too! So much so, that we jumped the gun and posted a publish date prematurely. We mentioned editorial issues, and to be very specific about what that meant, the video just wasn’t good enough, which oftentimes can be the case when working creatively. It’s very rare that we publish any video without it going through some level of iteration – our goal is to provide you all with meaningful content after-all. For this episode, it lacked the b-roll to properly illustrate what we were discussing, which led to it feeling like a lot of words without visual substance. We played with it, and added more visuals to better accompany our discussion. However, it became clear that we still weren’t quite there. So we’ve had to re-shoot some of it to better reflect what we want to show.

To properly set expectations, this specific video is just another way to share more information by checking in with Brian Chambers and some of the devs and seeing what they are working on. Our goal overall is simply to create more ways to share Squadron 42 progress updates with you, especially in lieu of the Roadmap visualization which is being updated. We don’t want to leave you in the dark! So, while progress continues on an updated Roadmap (which we’re looking forward to rolling out), stay tuned and we’ll update the community content schedule as quickly as possible, and not before it’s ready.

It's because our standards are too gosh darn high! Not because we're bumbling assclowns. It's a virtue, not a failing on our part.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

we had to reshoot some of our digital footage about a video game. This has taken several weeks. As I'm sure you are all aware, making a video for youtube is an extremely arduous task, but rest assured we will not publish anything less than perfection for this, a minor update video which is - again - about a video game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Retro postin

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

"erotically charged fingerpaintings of Chris Roberts as a hot bear"

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

No, but this

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Quavers posted:

For this episode, it lacked the b-roll to properly illustrate what we were discussing, which led to it feeling like a lot of words without visual substance. We played with it, and added more visuals to better accompany our discussion. However, it became clear that we still weren’t quite there. So we’ve had to re-shoot some of it to better reflect what we want to show.
Here's how this reads to someone that is used to corporate double-speak, albeit not game development: "We tried to add some actual game video to prove that we weren't full of poo poo, but it turns out that we couldn't."

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Quavers posted:

They are literally saying they are cancelling the video because they have nothing to show.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Mirificus posted:

"erotically charged fingerpaintings of Chris Roberts as a hot bear"

That's the good stuff

his nibs posted:

No, but this

The Goonfear™ is real- unlike the game.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

XK posted:

They are literally saying they are cancelling the video because they have nothing to show.

But Ben played it years ago...

Also this gem:

5 years later...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmHz2NGhVhk

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You really should stream, your voice would be competitive to OAnt.

EDIT: Stream any game that's playable, so not Star Citizen.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://i.imgur.com/V9IyZ6W.mp4

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
these videos are like a really relaxing fever dream

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

You really should stream, your voice would be competitive to OAnt.

EDIT: Stream any game that's playable, so not Star Citizen.

I'm recording some rimworld with a friend atm, that's up next! I think you can really hear my patience starting to fray with sc...

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Ground control to Major Tom we need another video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
This guy might be my favorite Citizen right now, he's so bitter :lol: