Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

#Vortex
#wheat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Ashley's next :ohdear:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mrs Mango watched this with me. The door is now open to rewatching a thousand hours of C1 and C2 (where I’m up to ep 92).

I can’t be more excited.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Oh my -god-, the little interlude with Sam's wife broke me. I was practically crying I was laughing so hard. Perfection.

#Justice4Wheat

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
God my face hurts so much after that.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I hope Ashley’s story is as randomly incoherent as her attempts to retell the stories the other people gave her. Lean into the blessed Taliesin phrase “it sounded like you were trying to describe a car crash you saw in the parking lot at dodger stadium” from the first episode.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

DarklyDreaming posted:

Spooky Liam :allears:

EDIT: Oh come on no one is gonna remember to count in German

They're giving it the old college drei though

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I for some reason had auto-generated captions on when I started the video. There were some...interesting interpretations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yeah, the whole crew's really been on a no bullshit stance on this - as they should. Good riddance to all the idiots who leave this community over this.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmfao good for Sam

this segment hasn't been my favorite but Liam really brought it this time

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 1, 2020

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
You can tell that Matt is taking cues from his players on filling out the lore and folk tales of his setting in these Narrative telephone stories. Really love it when DMs incorporate good ideas from their players and make them canon.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1267486101901463552?s=20

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

And in true Social Media form, the top three or four replies are people bitching about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"NOW they're being POLITICAL!" I screech as I blatantly ignore what they say on their personal accounts.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

It can be a bit disappointing if you're looking for light-hearted entertainment as a distraction, but hell, this is a hard time to be the light-hearted entertainment.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

"NOW they're being POLITICAL!" I screech as I blatantly ignore what they say on their personal accounts.
It was actually the opposite

WHY AREN'T NOT YOU DOING A CHARITY STREAM LIKE [INSERT OTHER PERSONS HERE] WHY ARE YOU SO APATHETIC!!!

About that...

https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1267900816507015170?s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Crazy Ted posted:

It was actually the opposite

WHY AREN'T NOT YOU DOING A CHARITY STREAM LIKE [INSERT OTHER PERSONS HERE] WHY ARE YOU SO APATHETIC!!!

That also makes sense. The entitled Critter, and I know it's a small minority, is a terrible creature.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Mica Barton’s had a rough couple days. Looks like working at Rooster Teeth was pretty rough and it just came out.

I have more than a few times wondered if she could fit in permanently with the cast. She brings a ton of energy and youthful spirit and they all seemed to love having her.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Disappointing Pie posted:

Mica Barton’s had a rough couple days. Looks like working at Rooster Teeth was pretty rough and it just came out.

I have more than a few times wondered if she could fit in permanently with the cast. She brings a ton of energy and youthful spirit and they all seemed to love having her.

I could totally see her as #8 on Campaign 3.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Disappointing Pie posted:

She completely demolishes BWF as a host and I want to see her take over Talks Machina.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

xarph posted:

She completely demolishes BWF as a host and I want to see her take over Talks Machina.

I would start watching Talks Machina again if they made her the host.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

xarph posted:

I think BWF is fine. I want to see what her and Matt do with Critter Hug before she adds a second Critical Role show.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

This seems to be the most relevant place to ask this, but does anyone know what happened to the podcast version of Campaign 1?

I just started listening again after having it in my backlog for ages, but every single Campaign 1 episode is 404-ing on their site, and thus my podcast program can't grab at it.
( https://critrole.com/campaign-1-podcast/ )

Kinda odd since it worked just fine a couple days ago.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I think you have to enroll in the Geek and Sundry CR Feed to get the season 1 episodes?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

That is apparently exactly what has just vanished sometime the last couple of days.
http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/ just redirects into a podbean 404.
https://critrole.com/campaign-1-podcast/ Links on their site are dead as well.

It makes me wonder if they started transferring them over to podbean, or if something got nuked by accident.

e: Yeah, the only place they seem to be up currently is on google music, which of course is unavailable due to me not being in the US.
Hopefully they'll notice and respond to the barrage of questions about it on twitter and reddit.

Accidentally nuking like 400+ hours of podcast is pretty impressive. Hopefully it's just them migrating stuff and having forgotten to update the links, or something.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 8, 2020

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I've always wondered, where and how do they store the "originals" in cases like CR, both video and audio?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'd presume that the twitch and youtube videos end up as a type of cloud storage. I would also think that uploading videos to youtube works based on uploading a video file from a computer, so they should have a hard data copy of the episodes on hand. Similarly, it'd make sense that they would have hard data copies of the mp3's for the podcast.

I have no clue if that's how any of that would actually work, but it seems like it would be super simple to do and I don't see why they wouldn't have backups just in case. In their shoes I'd be putting everything on at least two separate hard drives and like, keeping one set at the company HQ and the other at Matt's house or something.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

YouTube uploads are straight from a video file, so presumably they store all of those until they need the space and have to trust in cloud storage or existing uploads online.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

NowonSA posted:

I have no clue if that's how any of that would actually work, but it seems like it would be super simple to do and I don't see why they wouldn't have backups just in case. In their shoes I'd be putting everything on at least two separate hard drives and like, keeping one set at the company HQ and the other at Matt's house backblaze or something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh dear, I do hope I can have a listen to Campaign one soon! I still need to finish the Chroma Conclave stuff!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm a few episodes into the Chrome Conclave stuff and the season has sure hit its stride. Whitestone was where it first got going and it's just ramping up here.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Josef bugman posted:

Oh dear, I do hope I can have a listen to Campaign one soon! I still need to finish the Chroma Conclave stuff!

The audio seem to be back up on the Critical Role website, so hopefully it will follow suit on podcast networks soon.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
It's truly so odd that they've not attempted something digital at this point beyond the narrative telephone stuff.

99% of all D&D content on Twitch, involve everyone on webcams. Critical Role, stuff from Geek & Sundry, and what Matt Colville was doing are the only exceptions I can think of. They've got great sound people, and given the narrative telephone episodes when they are at home their webcam set ups seem excellent.

It could simply be that prepping for a digital game is different enough that Matt is unsure about it? I know he suffers from impostor syndrome, so even if he has a critter contracted specifically to draw digital maps it could make him feel really anxious.

Personally I can't go back to running at a table if I really can help it. And the thing is if they did do it, I sadly think they'd use Roll20 which I don't think deserves the attention compared to Fantasy Grounds or something more fledgling like FoundryVTT.

If anyone is jonesing for more TTRPG goodness after devouring C2. L.A. by Nights is often praised, Mark Hulmes has a very good show as well. Colville's The Chain of Acheron is interesting, and feels different from the way Mercer does things. Plus you have Campaign Diaries to go along with some of the earlier episodes, which can be a fantastic insight into DMing.

Beyond that? Stuff ran by Steven Lumpkin is very good, The Sunfall Cycle has been running since 2018 with ... mostly the same cast, sadly one of the original five passed away last year.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 11, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I also just realized that any virtual tabletop site or program would absolutely be willing to give Critrole a pretty big bag of money to be the VTT they use, maybe on a per-game basis deal since they'd go back to doing it in person once it's safe to do so. Maybe one holdup that's delayed taking the campaign online is the negotiations and research on what one they want to go with.

I guess the best possible outcome (and probably the most business savvy if they want to really be set up long term) would be that they've spent the time since the game went on hiatus creating a cool looking setup that follows social distancing guidelines. Kind of setting up a lot of different cameras and audio spots, but still giving them the ability to see each other and interact in person even though the camera setups as a viewer would probably make it look similar to a remote game. i can see that making sense if they know they want to get back to live games earlier than "whenever a vaccine arrives."

If we manage to get all the way to the end of August without the campaign proper resuming in some form then I'll have to assume that the CR team has opted to put the health of the cast and employees ahead of creating new content and just decided that a virtual approach wouldn't work for them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Arthil posted:

If anyone is jonesing for more TTRPG goodness after devouring C2. L.A. by Nights is often praised, Mark Hulmes has a very good show as well. Colville's The Chain of Acheron is interesting, and feels different from the way Mercer does things. Plus you have Campaign Diaries to go along with some of the earlier episodes, which can be a fantastic insight into DMing.

My recommendation would be for anyone who wants more Actual Play stuff to watch Fantasy High on Youtube. It's a fantastic, hilarious ride, Brennan Lee Mulligan is a frankly amazing GM who puts the Rule Of Cool above anything else, and it also has everyone in the same room together and everything.

The only real downside is that it's relatively short, since it's only about 20 hours long. It carries on beyond that, but they switch from being a prerecorded thing with cool visuals, maps and audio to being streamed so it takes a bit of a hit at that point.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

My recommendation would be for anyone who wants more Actual Play stuff to watch Fantasy High on Youtube. It's a fantastic, hilarious ride, Brennan Lee Mulligan is a frankly amazing GM who puts the Rule Of Cool above anything else, and it also has everyone in the same room together and everything.

The only real downside is that it's relatively short, since it's only about 20 hours long. It carries on beyond that, but they switch from being a prerecorded thing with cool visuals, maps and audio to being streamed so it takes a bit of a hit at that point.

There's also The Unsleeping City, Tiny Heist, A Crown of Candy, and Escape from the Bloodkeep on Dropout if you want more Brennan DMed APs. Bloodkeep even has Mercer as a player.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Prettypanda posted:

There's also The Unsleeping City, Tiny Heist, A Crown of Candy, and Escape from the Bloodkeep on Dropout if you want more Brennan DMed APs. Bloodkeep even has Mercer as a player.

Seconded.

Brennan and Matt have very different DMing styles, but are both fantastic. A Crown of Candy has been amazing so far. :smith:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I also just realized that any virtual tabletop site or program would absolutely be willing to give Critrole a pretty big bag of money to be the VTT they use, maybe on a per-game basis deal since they'd go back to doing it in person once it's safe to do so. Maybe one holdup that's delayed taking the campaign online is the negotiations and research on what one they want to go with.

I guess the best possible outcome (and probably the most business savvy if they want to really be set up long term) would be that they've spent the time since the game went on hiatus creating a cool looking setup that follows social distancing guidelines. Kind of setting up a lot of different cameras and audio spots, but still giving them the ability to see each other and interact in person even though the camera setups as a viewer would probably make it look similar to a remote game. i can see that making sense if they know they want to get back to live games earlier than "whenever a vaccine arrives."

If we manage to get all the way to the end of August without the campaign proper resuming in some form then I'll have to assume that the CR team has opted to put the health of the cast and employees ahead of creating new content and just decided that a virtual approach wouldn't work for them.

I got the feeling that everyone thought that maybe a return to work by the end of the summer would be reasonably possible.

And, given California's reopening schedule, it technically is. But uhhh things aren't actually going well there:

I can understand the desire to avoid figuring out how to switch to online play in hopes that you can just go back to the studio in a few months. But, in terms of risk to cast and crew, that's probably not going to be possible this year, and may not be until (optimistically) well into next.

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If people are looking for good tabletop stuff. Have I got recommendations

First off Friends at the Table.

Actual Play Podcast with DM Austin Walker and Co.

This season is absurdly good. They are playing a game called Beam Saber. And it's just oh so very fun and the Cast is very locked in.

Start with Partizan 01 unless you are super into character building.

http://friendsatthetable.net/the-seaside-town-of-obelle-pt-1

If you do decide to go back and listen from their start. The Audio is hot garbage for most of the first season, it gets better. If you do decide to start listening elsewhere After Partizan I would go to Marielda to see their fantasy setting, or Counter/Weight for more mech show.

Second is a new(sorta very long story, screw Adam Koebel) group and live stream called Indoor Recess

The JBMD crew(sans the former GM) and Mistressverse are starting up their new Theros based game and I love this crew.

https://twitter.com/roll20app/status/1270536464208728065

They had their Session Zero + 0.5 on Tuesday Night.

The other Roll20 Presents game has a fun cast and is starting up anew as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iouNhfXUNZc

Their Session Zero

Another one I've been listening to is Fun City.

https://funcity.ventures/

And another one is a game set in Wildemount, Tides Of Wildemount by Realmsmith.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcVoov2ilOfL1m-JL5FvdM9Inbredy4l7