Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
The draw in DH is the main problem, with hero power second. You can play cards and reload your hand every turn. Board clears, no problem just play cards and draw more good stuff. Contrast this with paladin. The hero power is also the strongest, it's a straight upgrade over rogue because you can buff your equipped weapon too. It allows you to be super Mana efficienct, you basically never float mana as DH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

adamarama posted:

The draw in DH is the main problem, with hero power second. You can play cards and reload your hand every turn. Board clears, no problem just play cards and draw more good stuff. Contrast this with paladin. The hero power is also the strongest, it's a straight upgrade over rogue because you can buff your equipped weapon too. It allows you to be super Mana efficienct, you basically never float mana as DH.

Every modern playable class has busted card draw/generation. Without it DH would be trash tier. Even Spectral Sight is not good enough in this environment.

ptroll posted:

I would dearly love to see Altruis not hit face.

This should have been the nerf last time, probably.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I would guess the reason they haven't stopped Altruis hitting face is because they'd have to change the animation (it would look a bit odd swiping across the portrait and doing nothing) and getting the art team involved is a lot more work than simply changing a few numbers.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Please, Blizzard, don't nerf Altruis. This stupid card is so fun; behold as I burst down a rogue from 20 on turn 8!

I expected get a rage-add after that bullshit.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

fanny packrat posted:

Please, Blizzard, don't nerf Altruis. This stupid card is so fun; behold as I burst down a rogue from 20 on turn 8!

I expected to get a rage-add after that bullshit.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Nothing in this game is more fun than running spell mage and having a Solarian Prime generated by Font of Power pull Yogg-Box as one of his five random "target enemy when possible" spells. It's a galactic instance of "nah, gently caress YOU".

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I went against Bomb Warrior a couple days ago and I was at 4 health and he was at two, and he had put a lot of bombs in my deck. But instead of ending his turn and waiting for me to draw, he conceded after he played his cards.

I really felt like I was gonna top deck that bomb and lose.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

skaboomizzy posted:

Nothing in this game is more fun than running spell mage and having a Solarian Prime generated by Font of Power pull Yogg-Box as one of his five random "target enemy when possible" spells. It's a galactic instance of "nah, gently caress YOU".

It’s awesome but Solarian’s effect does not work with Yogg Box, as he is the RNG god and cannot be tamed by such mere words. Targeted effects, frostbolt fireball polymorph pyroblast, will always find an enemy target. Yogg Box will just cast its 10 spells and you keep your fingers crossed for the best

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

By ten they come
By the box thy way opens
By the blood of the willing
We call thee home
Hail mother of random
Hail creator of rage-adds
Hail Yogg-Saron

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, does anyone have any advice on when I'm supposed to be playing the Puzzle Box in a Mage Highlander deck?
I'm kind of treating it as an absolute last resort option and because of that it feels like a mostly dead card in my deck.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Jack Trades posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone have any advice on when I'm supposed to be playing the Puzzle Box in a Mage Highlander deck?
I'm kind of treating it as an absolute last resort option and because of that it feels like a mostly dead card in my deck.

I mean, of course you can never know for sure, but there are tendencies that you can follow:
Do not play it while ahead, just like Yogg-Saron himself in wild, the box tends to swing the game around in the opposite direction.
Do not play it if you have a very big hand, because it is very likely that you will get a bunch of draw and burn through cards. Plus, it is likely to give you a twin spell, meaning you get another card from it.
Do not rely on it to get friendly buffs. It can and does happen, of course, but the math says no when it comes to rely on it. Harmful spells are more likely.
Do not use it if already in fatigue, unless you are already close to losing and might as well roll the dice. The chances of your burning up through fatigue is very high.
The most likely spells you will get are card draw, harmful damage spells, secrets and some sort of minions that get summoned. Resurrect effects, friendly buffs, silences are unlikely, it does not cast any uncollectible spells.

There are currently 324 spells in standard, so predicting what comes out of it is pretty much impossible. The general advice for Yogg-Saron is to use it while you are not ahead, so either more or less neutral (which can be dangerous) or clearly behind, do not use it if your hand is already big or you are in or near fatigue due to the very likely massive draw, do not play it if your board is full of stuff as it will most likely clear a bunch of it, but do use it if your board is rather slim or empty and the enemy board is rather full and valuable. Always play it you have nothing else to lose and want to see if your last sacrificial payment to the great Yogg has been accepted.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Santheb posted:

It’s awesome but Solarian’s effect does not work with Yogg Box, as he is the RNG god and cannot be tamed by such mere words. Targeted effects, frostbolt fireball polymorph pyroblast, will always find an enemy target. Yogg Box will just cast its 10 spells and you keep your fingers crossed for the best

Also, Solarian fucks with Font of Power and Apexis Blast, so it is definitely a mixed blessing in pure Spell Mage - which is by far the most fun deck I have ever played in Hearthstone.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

kaesarsosei posted:

Also, Solarian fucks with Font of Power and Apexis Blast, so it is definitely a mixed blessing in pure Spell Mage - which is by far the most fun deck I have ever played in Hearthstone.

What’s a good list for spell mage?

I love mage I kinda don’t care how bad it is or not I just enjoy playing it

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

teacup posted:

What’s a good list for spell mage?

I love mage I kinda don’t care how bad it is or not I just enjoy playing it

# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Flame Ward
# 1x (3) Ice Barrier
# 2x (3) Netherwind Portal
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 2x (6) Blizzard
# 1x (8) Deep Freeze
# 2x (8) Power of Creation
# 1x (10) The Amazing Reno
#
AAECAf0EBO0EjLYDxbgD3sQDDbsCyQOrBJYFn5sDoJsDv6QD9KsD8a8DwbgDwrgDjLkDgb8DAA==

I was running this one before I swapped to highlander because I just love Solarian, should be pretty standard setup. You might as well add Yoggy to this in exchange for a secret or something if you like to roll with the flow.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
I have no rogue or mage standard decks. I am low on dust, but I have a bunch of cards. Does anyone have a cool mage deck that isn't spell mage? I'm open for weirdness. Actually, the weirder the better, go hog wild.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Grei Skuring posted:

I have no rogue or mage standard decks. I am low on dust, but I have a bunch of cards. Does anyone have a cool mage deck that isn't spell mage? I'm open for weirdness. Actually, the weirder the better, go hog wild.

I don't think it would be any good, but there might be some fun trying to OTK with Kaelthas and pyroblasts. Basically Cyclone Mage, but worse since Elemental Evocation rotated. Maybe throw in some Mountsellers as a backup win condition?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
There's a Chenvaala mage that you occasionally see. It's not particularly good, but if it manages to go off, it's pretty bonkers.

I haven't built it myself, but seems like it's Sorcerer's Apprentice, Chenvaala, draw and cheap spells. Maybe Khadgar would make sense. Almost definitely the "spend 8 mana on spells for a dragon" sidequest (which also incidentally works with Khadgar)

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Jack Trades posted:

I drop asap unless I'm ahead on board or have a full hand.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

My own two cents on praying to the great Yogg:

If you are behind and you have other plays in your hand that at least get you to parity and you’re not worried about your opponent pushing lethal, play those first. Yogg can theoretically answer any threat but those other answers you have may not.

If you are playing an extremely unfavored match (basically any Hunter, situationally Demon Hunter), you may just want to pop it at the first opportunity if you have nothing better to do. Hunter can deal so much damage from hand and you have so few healing options that you are disadvantaged even with a neutral board; behind is dead, neutral is behind, ahead is neutral. Taking a risk for the chance of instantly building an insurmountable lead is probably a risk worth taking.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
when did they add in the ability to get Invoke cards from discovers, cause I just got Devoted Maniac from a Blazing Invocation

also if DQ Alex can't generate herself any more they should stop Mugurgle Prime from being able to generate another Mugurgle

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The devs like it when cards generate themselves a lot of people think it is funny/epic and it gets upvoted on reddit because internet types are insane about the concept of recursion for some reason.

DQ alex was a special case because it was just too op.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think it took a bit longer than dragonqueen but Stonehill could discover itself for ages as well until it was patched out

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think it took a bit longer than dragonqueen but Stonehill could discover itself for ages as well until it was patched out

That's an amazing example of recent power creep. I'm sure a 3 mana 1-4 that discovers a taunt would see fringe play, but nobody would be calling for it to be unable to autodiscover. Not complaining, but the game sure has changed.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, what? AFAIK, the only change to him was removing the 400% increased chance to offer a class card.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

fanny packrat posted:

That's an amazing example of recent power creep. I'm sure a 3 mana 1-4 that discovers a taunt would see fringe play, but nobody would be calling for it to be unable to autodiscover. Not complaining, but the game sure has changed.
I would have said the same thing but I don't think stonehill into stonehill was actually good, the controversy of the card was iirc playing against three Tarims every game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

I would have said the same thing but I don't think stonehill into stonehill was actually good, the controversy of the card was iirc playing against three Tarims every game.

Not just that, the majority of paladin legendaries at that point had taunt. You were all but guaranteed to get offered at least one of Wickerflame, Tirion, and Tarim.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

If DQA discovered 9 mana DQA's I don't think it would have mattered as much as it did.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Cuntellectual posted:

Not just that, the majority of paladin legendaries at that point had taunt. You were all but guaranteed to get offered at least one of Wickerflame, Tirion, and Tarim.

Wickerflame, Tirion, Talim, or another Stonehill to get a new chance to high roll! Stonehill was straight up busted in odd Paladin

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Solo content releases in a week according to the in-game countdown. No details, huh.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, what? AFAIK, the only change to him was removing the 400% increased chance to offer a class card.

That's all I remember. Poison Hunter dragon can discover itself over and over right now. Arguably as strong or stronger.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Is anyone else running Myalgo Quest Warlock or any Quest Warlock and if so what's your list. I'm running the Vicious Syndicate list and it's working well but have seen people playing all sorts of weird versions.

### Malygos Quest Warlock
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Mortal Coil
# 2x (1) Rain of Fire
# 2x (1) Soulfire
# 1x (1) Supreme Archaeology
# 2x (2) Mo'arg Artificer
# 2x (2) Nether Breath
# 2x (2) Plot Twist
# 2x (2) Questing Explorer
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 2x (3) Dark Skies
# 1x (3) Sense Demons
# 2x (5) Crazed Netherwing
# 2x (6) Abyssal Summoner
# 2x (6) Aranasi Broodmother
# 1x (6) Keli'dan the Breaker
# 1x (8) Twisting Nether
# 1x (9) Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Malygos
#
AAECAcn1Agi0A8UE2wbcBuujA/yjA5GxA+6/AwvOB8QI2pYD2psDu6UD5awD66wD7KwD7awD7qwD6b4DAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

So I tried something new tonight against Quest Priest as Highlander Mage. I played so that there was no damage on the board until I hit 10 mana, at which point I out-greeded them. Easiest game of my life, but is that a valid tactic or did I just get lucky? Obviously it would only work in a control vs control match.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Kalko posted:

So I tried something new tonight against Quest Priest as Highlander Mage. I played so that there was no damage on the board until I hit 10 mana, at which point I out-greeded them. Easiest game of my life, but is that a valid tactic or did I just get lucky? Obviously it would only work in a control vs control match.

I did this with Tempo DH yesterday. Just built my board for 4 turns until I could hit them for lethal in two turns or so. It was incredibly satisfying.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Let's go, 9.5k! Big ups to an absurdly weak lobby, two people were playing pretty good juggler builds that mulched all the lategame scaling stuff while my big pink man and lizard just ate them.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I honestly didn't know you could gain more than 100 sr for 1st place. I haven't tracked it and I sure as poo poo dont come first enough to be an authority, but I always just assumed the matchmaking somehow anchored itself around that bc of how ubiquitously 1st place always gets me that straight 100

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
nvm

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 6, 2020

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Spell mage owns, I'm winning games in the most hilarious ways. The best so far was when my Yogg-Box cast Shadow Madness to steal a Kayn Sunfry and Chaos Strike to get me 5 damage on a DH with 5 life left when I was facing lethal next turn.

### Spell Mage
# Class: Mage
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 2x (1) Font of Power
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 2x (1) Ray of Frost
# 2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 2x (3) Counterspell
# 2x (3) Flame Ward
# 2x (3) Netherwind Portal
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 1x (8) Deep Freeze
# 2x (8) Power of Creation
# 1x (10) Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron
# 1x (10) The Amazing Reno
#
AAECAf0EBMKhA4y2A8W4A97EAw1xuwKrBJYFn5sDoJsDv6QD9KsD8a8DwbgDwrgDjLkDgb8DAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Was tilting hard yesterday. Then watched RDU play demon Hunter and realized I really needed to be more aggressive than I was. Went from Plat 4 to Diamond 10! At the highest I was last month in the first six days. Guess I'll try for Diamond 5 the rest of the month.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
If I share my login with someone so they can try the game out properly before they decide to sink a bunch of cash into packs will Blizzard care or will they just assume i'm playing somewhere else? I know it seems like a stupid question and I am about 99% sure it's safe but I don't want to risk a ban. I've spent way too much time and money getting a near complete standard collection and a roughly 2/3rds complete wild collection. Obviously we'd be communicating so we don't log in at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Just hit my ranking goal for the season (diamond 5). Played tempo DH, flew up the ladder until I hit D6, then I went 6-4 over 10 games to break through. I'm probably going to mess around with this stupid thing for a while:

### Custom Druid
# Class: Druid
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 2x (0) Moonfire
# 2x (1) Crystal Power
# 1x (1) Untapped Potential
# 2x (1) Worthy Expedition
# 1x (2) Breath of Dreams
# 2x (2) Rising Winds
# 2x (2) Wrath
# 1x (3) Bogbeam
# 2x (3) Imprisoned Satyr
# 1x (4) Germination
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (5) Oasis Surger
# 2x (5) Starfall
# 2x (6) Hidden Oasis
# 2x (6) Nourish
# 1x (9) Malygos
# 1x (9) Ysiel Windsinger
#
AAECAZICBrQD+KEDjK4D5roD6roD7roDDEBWX/4B0wPEBrmUA8iiA9yiA9mpA/m1A+S6AwA=
#
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

I've played it a little in casual. Definitely needs work, but wins can come out of nowhere, and it feels satisfying when they do.