Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Goonpa's going to be attacked by murder hornets. He'll be stung in the face due to not having anything to make a mask with.

(good to see you back even though disaster is imminent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Oh poo poo that's right, if Goonpa makes it back to civilization he's probably going to catch the Roni.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Glad Tegnell didn't end you OP, keep fighting for Goonpa's dream of having smörgåstårta again!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Gotta say, I was not expecting that much of a response to the return of an LP of a maximally obscure game from 1986 that has been neglected for over a year. You guys are pretty cool :3:

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Covski posted:

Gotta say, I was not expecting that much of a response to the return of an LP of a maximally obscure game from 1986 that has been neglected for over a year. You guys are pretty cool :3:

Hey we all know that Goonpa was just hibernating for the winter, and now that it's the June thaw, he's hungry for Cheetos and ready to roll!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Goonpa.jpg

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I've been checking up on thread updates practically every day!*

*technically correct since it's in my thread bookmarks

But seriously, I'll be glad to see the final fate of Goonpa.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Let's go Goonpa! Live! Live for us all!

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
He's totally going to die five minutes into the first update isn't he

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I follow the theory that all this is Goonpa's fever dream as he lies dying among the plane's remains.

Or perhaps he's imagining this scenario happening after the plane totally crashes because drat that's some heavy turbulence! Hey, steward, are these occasional sudden drops normal???

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Look, I'm just expecting Goonpa to faceplant and drop dead about a meter away from the ranger station.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Hell yeah, Goonpa's back!

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Long live Goonpa!

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
C'mon Goonpa, I'm pulling for you.

Also, he should totally rest for the day when you are finally able to play this again. Have him cook up his food, rest by a fire, drink a ton of water and hopefully get his health somewhere more manageable.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think we're at the point where if we stop we die - we just gotta 'sprint' to the goal.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
The game literally told us that if Goonpa walks he'll barely make any progress. Sprinting is out of the question. We have a decent amount of food that needs to be cooked up before it goes bad anyways. Have him rest by the fire for the day and cook up everything we can, the benefit being that we'll have more food we can take with us, Goonpa can rest, and hopefully eat up a bit as well.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Fair, yeah, I hadn't looked back at the last post.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

It's a Christmas miracle! Goonpa is back! :woop:

October 20th, sixteenth day in the wilderness.

6AM

He's not in a very good shape though. Where we left him all those months ago, he's suffering from a cocktail of frost bite, starvation, dehydration, and beaver feaver. He's also way too exhausted to take a single step forward, so he's stuck in his tent by the fire, too tired to do anything else but subsist on melted snow and meager yet quickly dwindling rations of what little small game he was able to catch.

The silent whiteness of the Canadian forest surrounds him.

October 21th, seventeenth day in the wilderness.

6:30 AM

After a full day of rest, as dawn is casting its golden rays over Bullshit River Ridge, Goonpa's health has improved slightly but only marginally. Despite his rest he is still too weak to push on, his aged spherical body pushed beyond all its limits. Even staying bedridden he is wracked by a ravishing hunger, and his stock of squirrel meat dwindles rapidly.

As the sun begins to set again on the banks of Dogleg River, he has only gained a little more strength from another day of rest. Surely, one more night of sleep will cure him of this terrible fatigue. One more night of slumber, and surely he'll be ready for the last push up the ridge, beyond Bullshit river, and to the safety of the ranger station. Just one more night of deep sleep will do him good.

October 22th, eighteenth day in the wilderness.

6 AM

Dawn breaks once again over the snow covered forest, but Goonpa doesn't stir from his ripose.

Goonpa is dead, merry christmas!

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.
And God bless us, every one

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
With his goony reserves of body fat I didn't expect him to go due to starvation, but such are the dangers of the wilderness. God bless.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Wow. I gotta say, he survived much longer than I ever anticipated.

Good run Sir Goonpa. You've earned your rest.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
likely would've made it if not for the giardia.

this is why water safety is so important, kids!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

May a choir of angels sing you softly to your rest, Goonpa. You would have got the roni when you made it to civilization anyway.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

He made it so much further than i would have expected (you know, more than two steps). Rest well, Goonpa.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

likely would've made it if not for the giardia.

this is why water safety is so important, kids!
Yeah, looking at that last screenshot the thirst measurement is worse than his hunger stat.

Godspeed, goonpa. May you be reunited with your lucky rock in the afterlife.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Now if only he had had a printer with him, I'm sure he could have made that last leg.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Post-mortem analysis! You guys actually did a pretty great job here, both regarding the navigation as well as the general decision making!

Most of the major mistakes were due to me not being careful enough - having Goonpa get giardia from drinking beaver water being the big one. In my defence running water in a sufficiently large stream, especially in a very cold climate such as this can *generally* be considered safe to drink, although boiling any drinking water is ALWAYS preferable. And the manual even states that contracting giardia is less likely at high altitudes! And even more in my defence, you guys were the ones who left the anti-giardia medicine behind :colbert:

The game gives very little feedback on how exactly conditions are affecting you, so it's hard to tell what precisely pushed Goonpa over the edge of not being able to go any further. It might have been me accidentally pushing him too far on the day before, it might have been the accumulating effects of starvation. As Coolguye said though, we really can't underestimate how much Goonpa was vomiting and making GBS threads himself to death those last few days.

However, I'm uncertain if we could have made it all the way even with more optimal play on my part, this MIGHT have been a "dead man walking" scenario from the start. It's really hard to show how INCREDIBLY slowly Goonpa moves which combined with his pretty enormous caloric needs meant that our chances were pretty slim to begin with, as we were in a pretty rough (and very slow) race against the clock to reach safety before running out of food. Since finding food sources in the game is mostly based on luck, you're very unlikely to be running a surplus even with a decently fit character.

Also, sorry about the extreme delay in getting this update out! Had I known for sure it would be the last one I would definitely have done it sooner :v: In a bit I'm going to upload a copy of the game for those of you who want to try it out for yourselves! I'll be including both the map of Goonpa's journey, as well as a challenge map so you guys can compare your survival skills with your fellow goons.

Anyway, I hope you've all had a great christmas and thank you for following Goonpa's adventure, delays and all! :) My plan is still to do another run of this game *at some point*, but no promises as to when that will be.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for struggling through this game. Maybe the next survivor will have a windfall when they find Goonpa's frozen corpse, ready for cooking.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Waiting six months just for him to die is somehow incredibly fitting. RIP Goonpa. Thanks for coming back to finish up :) If we do end up doing a second run can we please pick a vaguely functioning body to pilot?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I do wonder if the extreme proportions was also throwing off the game's ability to correctly calculate food requirements and walking speed.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Öh sweet, an update, well now we'll finally be able to... oh.

RIP Goonpa, he died the way he lived, making GBS threads uncontrollably.

I would love to see another game or something similar later, this was pretty fun all things considered and I feel so much better prepared for it now that I recently became a qualified volunteer rescue worker. I'm sure this will come in handy.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

May Goonpa rest in piece

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Personally can't wait to lumber my own Goonpa through a series of misadventures only to fall off a cliff and die. Thanks for this, hope you go again!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

He died as he lived.

Slowly.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rip Goonpa.

Great thread op

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Thank you for all the kind words, I'm glad so many of you seem to have enjoyed this weird old game! :) I was fully expecting everyone to have forgotten about this LP, what with me leaving it to languish for an exceptional amount of time.

Black Robe posted:

If we do end up doing a second run can we please pick a vaguely functioning body to pilot?

Oh, I'm going to INSIST on it! A fair part of my putting the (what turned out to be) last episode off was due to the fact that Goonpa's decrepitude makes the game even more cumbersome to play than usual. It's a bit clunky at the best of times, but it was definitely exacerbated by moving so glacially that I had to go through all the routine steps of camp making and eating, drinking cooking etc wayyy more times than the game really expects you to have to do it.

Robindaybird posted:

I do wonder if the extreme proportions was also throwing off the game's ability to correctly calculate food requirements and walking speed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Goonpa was on the very extremes of what the game would even allow me to input, so I'd assume that the calculations might start to break down in such edge cases. I do believe there are some pretty advanced models being used (given the limits of 1986 pc computing power), but very little of this information is actually presented to the player. One interesting thing is the fact that Goonpa was quite capable of walking in sloped terrain carrying a heavy load for pretty much a full day without becoming exhausted incredibly quickly, instead moving incredibly slowly. I'm not sure if this is by design, but I'm personally thankful for it - having to stop and manually rest every five minutes would have been rather unplayable.

Nice piece of fish posted:

I would love to see another game or something similar later, this was pretty fun all things considered and I feel so much better prepared for it now that I recently became a qualified volunteer rescue worker. I'm sure this will come in handy.

I hope you put the lessons Goonpa taught you to good use during the training! That's cool though, mountain rescue stuff I'm assuming?

Anyway, my plan for the next run (whenever that will be) is to have a pretty fit character but up the difficulty a bit, and go for one of the warmer climates (Borneo, New Guinea, or Burma) to show off the different challenges those offer in contrast to the snowier climes. Probably going for a compass-less run, since the other modes of navigation are pretty interesting and should probably make finding our bearings a bit more interesting.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hopefully this is not :files: (if it is deemed to be so i'll delete it) but there's no need to be too fancy about the game as a download or a setup to play it. you can literally play it in a browser here.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Welp, a fitting end to Goonpa and at least he died as he always wanted to, nibbling on squirrel meat while being literally unable to move. What a fantastic journey, well done!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Lesson learned, next time we will need to pick up way more rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Covski posted:

I hope you put the lessons Goonpa taught you to good use during the training! That's cool though, mountain rescue stuff I'm assuming?

Anyway, my plan for the next run (whenever that will be) is to have a pretty fit character but up the difficulty a bit, and go for one of the warmer climates (Borneo, New Guinea, or Burma) to show off the different challenges those offer in contrast to the snowier climes. Probably going for a compass-less run, since the other modes of navigation are pretty interesting and should probably make finding our bearings a bit more interesting.

Yeah I figured I had to prepare for the next LP (it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Red_Cross_Search_and_Rescue_Corps, I don't know if y'all have that in Sweden, it's pretty cool and serious business for volunteer work, but so far I've mostly just worked as a covid-19 testing assistant and such).

Not that any of that will help for a warm climate run. Should be extremely interesting, please consider doing that when you have time.