Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zereth posted:

that's a LOT of torches to put in a small area, i want to see a picture of this alleged base

yeah i have no earthly idea how they're even managing to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't think I place more than 200 torches per world, if I'm starting from a fresh character before I get some kind of more convenient light source, so yeah, "accidentally" triggering that fight doesn't seem like it should ever happen.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'd love to see how these people are accidentally triggering the event. I light up my underground by placing torches everywhere. I just loaded up my file and ran from the surface to Hell through my original tunnel and despite there being enough torches to make the caves as bright as midday, the event did not trigger. And let me be clear, when I say torches everywhere, I do not skimp:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
But spamming torches in a straight line was their thing as a decorator! So cool

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Auto-placing torches in Journey mode with extended reach on places a loving ton, but certainly not that many.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've gone through stacks of 999 biome torches in Journey mode.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The little torch god minigame and reward is nice. I kinda like idea of incentivizing using different torch types since matching torches with their biomes looks better and now there's not the slight annoyance of switching between them.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m using the wrong torches everywhere and I’m still getting great loot.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I prefer the normal torches as it's easier to tell if I've been somewhere already. Also I didn't realise until pretty late game you could turn off coloured lighting, that poo poo was hurting my eyes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I spent a couple hours building and when I was done, found that terraria dumped a bunch of copies of my single player world into my recycle bin. That's kind of weird.

Mill Village posted:

I’m using the wrong torches everywhere and I’m still getting great loot.

Yeah now that you aren't penalized for using the wrong torch I seem to have filled out most of my accessory collection going through the ice and desert biomes again.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Freakazoid_ posted:

I spent a couple hours building and when I was done, found that terraria dumped a bunch of copies of my single player world into my recycle bin. That's kind of weird.

Yeah now that you aren't penalized for using the wrong torch I seem to have filled out most of my accessory collection going through the ice and desert biomes again.

Torch luck wasn't even affecting chest loot, just enemy drops iirc.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Chest loot is generated on world creation and is even always placed in the same location for any given seed, so yeah, bad torch luck wouldn't do anything to that even if it still existed.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

Torch luck wasn't even affecting chest loot, just enemy drops iirc.

I think you may have misread, the compass and depth meter were missing from my collection until I did a second pass after the torch change in the ice biome. Also started getting banana splits from the underground desert when I wasn't getting any before.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Killed the WoF. I had two corruption areas before it, the new streak missed both of them and spawned a third. It also went straight through my underground village.

Oh and the Hallow streak went through the jungle. Without turning more than a handful of blocks it looks like, dryad doesn't even mention hallow existing in the world. :negative:

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Dont worry, artificially planting hallow is not hard after WoF- just mine a bunch of hallow stone and replace natural stobe under 1 tule of grass with it- it will overtake normal woods pretty fast.

I didnt really Prepare my workd at all, and managed to create artificial hallow desert/crimson desert and surface hallow forest rather easily.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

At least I won't have to worry about corruption eating the jungle :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Groetgaffel posted:

At least I won't have to worry about corruption eating the jungle :v:

:tizzy:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

also if you plant a single hallowed seed next to a desert the entire thing will be hallowed the next time you blink

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Valtonen posted:

Dont worry, artificially planting hallow is not hard after WoF- just mine a bunch of hallow stone and replace natural stobe under 1 tule of grass with it- it will overtake normal woods pretty fast.

I didnt really Prepare my workd at all, and managed to create artificial hallow desert/crimson desert and surface hallow forest rather easily.
It's always a wild ride, spiraling between worry over the places you want clear being hit, and the places you want ruined being untouched.

"Nice, neither beam is gonna corrupt anywhere NEAR my desert!... Wait, poo poo. I'm gonna want those drops. Does snow Hallow give me something cool? I can't even remember (Oh they removed holy apple drops from Pigron)"

Meanwhile the start of hardmode Hallow containment solution of "gently caress it, MORE DYNAMITE!" remains an old friend for the bottom edge of a hell shaft to the right of my spawn getting clipped on both sides.

I'm a lazy bastard who hates long horizontal tunneling and only did a single one relatively close to spawn. So the mole cart sounds lovely.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

watho posted:

also if you plant a single hallowed seed next to a desert the entire thing will be hallowed the next time you blink
That's exactly what I did, yeah.
Planted some crimson on the other side of it as well to get some ichor bullets.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I really hope luiafk gets updated for 1.4 at some point. The one-click hellavator digger was amazing not just to hit the bottom but to also segregate your map's corruptions.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That Guy Bob posted:

Hotfix changelog
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-journeys-end-hotfix-changelog.89153/

The Torch God now haunts Terraria :allears:

Please don't be a something awful mechanic. Nevermind, apparently too many torches will shoot fireballs at you now. https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/gwpkci/the_torch_god_has_spoken/ Hopefully its a dumb joke and not a what how dare you have 10 torches on the same screen.

If this is real, this is actually really cool. The obvious solution to his previous torch-hate bad-luck thing was to just make torches automatically match biome as the devgod truly intended... and literally had the power to make a core part of their reality.

It's kind of weird that it's not the default behaviour since it's apparently very important to the terraria god, but given what seems to be something of an amusing History going on between the god of a videogame and the denizens who have to play there, it seems like a really satisfying way to meet in the middle.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Section Z posted:

I'm a lazy bastard who hates long horizontal tunneling and only did a single one relatively close to spawn. So the mole cart sounds lovely.
I want, like... Scarab Rockets with very short fuses or something. Except accessible before you get rocket weapons normally.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I got really lucky with my stripes. Corruption hit between two existing chasms in an area I didn't care about (Built my corrupted desert in that area, and the stripe hit a floating island, too), while the Hallow hit the other corruption chasm almost dead-on (which turned my corruption fishing hole into a hallowed one). My underground house was completely untouched.

I vaguely remembered some info that the stripes spawn from where the WoF dies and killed it as close to center as possible, but that may have had no influence whatsoever.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 5, 2020

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zereth posted:

I want, like... Scarab Rockets with very short fuses or something. Except accessible before you get rocket weapons normally.
Yeah, Scarab bombs are wonderful :buddy: It took me longer than I'd like to admit to pick up on the fact they blast based on your current positioning though. "Horizontal blast, horizontal blast. Now to jump toss some to clear more headroom... Why do they keep making diagonal tunnels when I do that?" :downs:

I should dust em back off. Reckless sticky dynamite usage is still fun. But a double scarab tunnel with a thin strip between em I can dig out easily later or something would be much cleaner.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The torch God thing is real and neat, I tried it yesterday.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I'm stuck in a loop of losing my items in hard mode, then getting invaded by goblins and having to slog through killing them over like two hours with crappy items... then I lose my items again :(

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

End of Shoelace posted:

I'm stuck in a loop of losing my items in hard mode, then getting invaded by goblins and having to slog through killing them over like two hours with crappy items... then I lose my items again :(
don't play on hardcore.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I mean yes, this is hardcore on hard mode. Maybe it's a bit too much because I am spending all of my time getting my items back and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere because NPCs die and I can't use pylons.
But then again the game is kinda too easy on normal.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Play on normal and just throw away half your stuff when you die.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like master mode on classic is hard enough to be interesting without bringing in the tedium associated with stuff like character death or item loss.

And if you really want it to be harder play on the FTW seed.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

End of Shoelace posted:

I mean yes, this is hardcore on hard mode. Maybe it's a bit too much because I am spending all of my time getting my items back and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere because NPCs die and I can't use pylons.

There are 3 difficulty modes, play on a harder one with mediumcore on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

item loss is awful and serves no real purpose. either play a character that gets deleted when you die or just have it drop money or some poo poo. none of that halfway crap that does nothing but waste time.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

End of Shoelace posted:

Play master difficulty? If that's too easy, then good for you I guess. It's no joke.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I just got the onyx blaster, tons of fun, and I have a stormbow in storage for the destroyer. What's the next gun I should aim for?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Probably either megashark w/ chlorophyte bullets or chlorophyte shotbow.
I had a ton of fun with the nailgun when it randomly dropped, but I wouldn't recommend grinding for it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
If you want the ultimate challenge, play a FTW seed on journey, set difficulty to master and spawn rate to 10x. Good loving luck even leaving the spawn area though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That sounds alright for a laugh, the excessive health pools of enemies on Master isn't so bad once you get a weapon with a bit of knockback but just getting over that hurdle can be tough.

Edit: actually I've never played a FTW map, is it just "for the worthy" as the seed?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Groetgaffel posted:

I just got the onyx blaster, tons of fun, and I have a stormbow in storage for the destroyer. What's the next gun I should aim for?

Honestly just the bow off the lunar pillars

Onyx and daedalus can carry you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Probably either megashark w/ chlorophyte bullets or chlorophyte shotbow.
I had a ton of fun with the nailgun when it randomly dropped, but I wouldn't recommend grinding for it.

Megashark is weaker than onyx blaster. The next gun upgrades are post plantera dungeon and ufo invasion stuff.