Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
If you want a grill get charcoal.

A gas grill is just a gas stove inconveniently placed outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Charcoal is worth the effort unless you're spending some solid money on a grill, basically any gas grille under $250 is going to be a piece of poo poo

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Do you want to taste the meat or taste the heat?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Resting Lich Face posted:

Eh, it keeps the heat out of the house in the summer.

I have a small Weber Spirit E-310 that I’ve been happy with for 6 years now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yeah, and blind taste tests just keep refuting the whole, "charcoal is objectively better argument", too.

I use a pellet smoker and then finish on a propane grill. Great combo.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Charcoal is better because you get coals which can be useful. Toss an eggplant in the dying fire and just leave it til its cold and you get something delicious.

Or you can add wood and just do the smoking in the grill itself rather than needing a smoker.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

TheMadMilkman posted:

I even have the next one smaller, the Spirit E-210 and hell same.

It has trays for my stuff, hooks for my tools, and a goofy spring-hook thing the propane hangs from that tries to tell you how much the canister has left in it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Or you can add wood and just do the smoking in the grill itself rather than needing a smoker.

That's what I do. Snagged a bunch of pear from a neighbor, apple from my own trees. I have a little hickory but prefer the fruit woods, pear is my favorite. I toss on a couple chunks when grilling, delicious.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

wormil posted:

That's what I do. Snagged a bunch of pear from a neighbor, apple from my own trees. I have a little hickory but prefer the fruit woods, pear is my favorite. I toss on a couple chunks when grilling, delicious.

Oak is my fav at the moment.

Helps that I have a half cord of it too.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Yeah I hadn't really thought of this. When you put it that way it makes much more sense to get charcoal.

Moot point though, as I realized I'm probably going to an apartment building :downs:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Red Crown posted:

Yeah I hadn't really thought of this. When you put it that way it makes much more sense to get charcoal.

No, it really doesn't make sense, but it's a cute quip.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Charcoal grills provide a solid 2-3x improvement in flavor in exchange for a solid 5-10x cost in effort/maintenance. For years, I used to say a gas grill was a pointless outdoor stove, and then I moved, and my new apartment building got annoyed at the smoke from me lighting a charcoal fire, but hinted they'd be OK with gas, so I switched.

I do miss the flavor you get from charcoal, but the ability to make a couple of hot dogs for lunch in the middle of the new-normal WFH day is pretty great. The ability to press a button and walk away for 10" and then quickly grill a fish or something for dinner, rather than spending 15" setting up a charcoal fire and then waiting 30" for it to be ready to cook on is great. Buying a tank or two of propane a season instead of a bag of charcoal a month is pretty great. I haven't yet made a steak that I'm fully happy with, though--gas just doesn't get hot enough.

I would still get a charcoal grill again if I had the space and ability, just for when I wanted extreme high heat, but I think the average home cook is better served with a solid gas grill. As far as I can tell, Weber is the brand to look at in both cases; their classic kettle grills are the standard for charcoal, and the Spirit II line seems good for entry-level-but-solid gas.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: making fire rocks

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Pro tip if you can afford a gas grill worth buying you can also afford a cheap charcoal grill to go alongside it

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I have a Traeger, and an outdoor gas range that I put cast irons and baking steels on for searing. It’s a good combo but I learned how to smoke stuff on a Weber Smokey Mountain and charcoal is secretly my favorite even though I don’t use it now

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I prefer a gas stove and a charcoal grill... I have an induction stove and a gas grill :negative:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I prefer a gas stove and a charcoal grill... I have an induction stove and a gas grill :negative:

I have an electric coil stove and every place I've ever lived has had one. I do like cooking st my aunts though, gas stoves are really nice, being able to precisely change heat is good

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I just learned that gas stoves might possibly aggravate asthma, so I'm no longer regretting my glass-top electric.

e: accidentally overstated the case in an attempt to convince myself I'm ok with electric

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 5, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

I just learned that gas stoves can aggravate asthma, so I'm no longer regretting my glass-top electric.

Not calling you out but just curious where you read that? Asthma management is a huge part of my profession and I've never heard that. We sometimes see COPD from people who had prolonged exposure to wood stoves but I've never heard anything about gas stoves, neither have a few of my colleagues in the office at the moment.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

VelociBacon posted:

Not calling you out but just curious where you read that? Asthma management is a huge part of my profession and I've never heard that. We sometimes see COPD from people who had prolonged exposure to wood stoves but I've never heard anything about gas stoves, neither have a few of my colleagues in the office at the moment.

nah, I should have included a source. there are some academic ones you'll be able to pick through better than I can, but here's the most recent reliable pop source I found:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/05/gas-stoves-air-pollution-environment

but this is less histrionic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760246/

looks as though it's not really conclusive, and I'll amend my post. (really it's just sour grapes. I want a gas stove, dammit.)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is there an alternative recommended kitchen scale? The oxo one looks good as always but its drat expensive.

Also I need a pizza peel. How hard is it to launch a pizza with a metal peel? I dont have a lot of room in my kitchen for one of each and also trying to save money.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Is there an alternative recommended kitchen scale? The oxo one looks good as always but its drat expensive.

Also I need a pizza peel. How hard is it to launch a pizza with a metal peel? I dont have a lot of room in my kitchen for one of each and also trying to save money.

this myweigh one (or the 7000, which is the older model and very similar). think mine is more than a decade old now lol

e: vvv sorry i didn't google the oxo as well? you really don't have to be like that

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 5, 2020

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
They said they wanted an alternative because it's expensive but they one you linked is even pricier, isn't it

e: OP OXO has a scale that's half the price of the first search result which seems to be about the same thing? Unless this is what you were talking about when you said it was too expensive in which case I dunno of any good kitchen scales in a similar price range

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 5, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AnonSpore posted:

They said they wanted an alternative because it's expensive but they one you linked is even pricier, isn't it
Huh, looks like the price has shot up recently--it was apparently going for around US$100 sometime last month. Pandemic pricing? Anyway, the KD-8000 has been a longtime gws hivemind recommendation and historically they went for around US$35.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SubG posted:

Huh, looks like the price has shot up recently--it was apparently going for around US$100 sometime last month. Pandemic pricing? Anyway, the KD-8000 has been a longtime gws hivemind recommendation and historically they went for around US$35.

that actually makes sense, buy it nows on ebay are in the $70s -- it's a victim of the covid baking supply panic

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

eke out posted:

you really don't have to be like that

Be like what?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I only have a metal one and its fine for up to ~60% hydration, haven't gone higher. Plenty of flour and semolina are key.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 3 years now.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 6, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

I only have a metal one and its fine for up to ~60% hydration, haven't gone higher. Plenty of flour and semolina are key.

I did a 2 65% hydration pies on my metal peel yesterday and they were fine

wormil posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 years now.

FWIW I killed the same scale in less than a year and i didn't exactly beat it up

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 6, 2020

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

wormil posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 years now.
Can't tell from the description, but does it have a baker's percentage function? I'd literally never used a scale with it before I got a KD-8000 and now I use it literally every time I bake or make noodles.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

Can't tell from the description, but does it have a baker's percentage function?

No, just a normal scale.

Checked, bought it 3 years ago.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

eke out posted:

this myweigh one (or the 7000, which is the older model and very similar). think mine is more than a decade old now lol

e: vvv sorry i didn't google the oxo as well? you really don't have to be like that

This is what I have and it rules. Been great for like 4 years now

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Empty Sandwich posted:

nah, I should have included a source. there are some academic ones you'll be able to pick through better than I can, but here's the most recent reliable pop source I found:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/05/gas-stoves-air-pollution-environment

but this is less histrionic:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2760246/

looks as though it's not really conclusive, and I'll amend my post. (really it's just sour grapes. I want a gas stove, dammit.)

All good who knows what this poo poo is doing to us anyways just enjoy the best tastes while you can.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

wormil posted:

I have an Ozeri zk14, $14 on Amazon, I tested and it's accurate. Had it for about 2 3 years now.

Yep. I have a red Ozeri ZK14. I paid less than $14 for it on Amazon over four years ago. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I’ve mistreated it, but I have not gone out of my way to baby it, and it’s as accurate now as it was four years ago. It’s also shockingly repeatable for such a cheap scale with such a simple mechanism. Put the bowl down, pick the bowl up, add stuff to the bowl, remove stuff from the bowl, jostle or shift the bowl, and it always goes right back to 0, or wherever it was when you started. Most cheap scales flicker a gram or two when you fiddle with the load, but not my Ozeri.

If you don’t need fractional-gram accuracy or fancy functions, like the baker’s percentages, it’s a great buy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

eke out posted:

I strongly recommend the Maestro instead of the KD8000. It is an upgrade in nearly every respect while being built on the same base, and it usually comes out cheaper than the 8000 if you include the cost of the ac adapter.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm struggling to find a 12" cast iron skillet in the UK. Is this a pandemic thing, or are they usually so expensive?

Lodge is about £60+. Apart from that, there are a couple of unknown brands on Etsy (of all places) - I'm not sure I should trust them, or is cast iron just cast iron?

My other alternative is just to drop down to 10" which gives me a few more options, but I'd be worried about it limiting me if I wanted to roast chickens or something like that?

Should I just suck it up and pay for the Lodge?

e: found a "camp chef" 12" for £26 - worth going for that?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I'm struggling to find a 12" cast iron skillet in the UK. Is this a pandemic thing, or are they usually so expensive?

Lodge is about £60+. Apart from that, there are a couple of unknown brands on Etsy (of all places) - I'm not sure I should trust them, or is cast iron just cast iron?

My other alternative is just to drop down to 10" which gives me a few more options, but I'd be worried about it limiting me if I wanted to roast chickens or something like that?

The Lodge one is probably overpriced right now. I would wait a minute and buy one of those.

That said, a 12 inch pan would take up 3 of my burners, so I wouldn't have a problem using the 10 inch.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Can't comment about UK pricing but if you buy a Lodge, get the new lighter version, might be why the one you found is more expensive.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I'm moving to an apartment with access to a backyard, so I'm looking to get my grill game going. What's a good basic charcoal grill? I'm not looking for anything too fancy as I haven't really done much grilling. I don't want to blow a wad of cash on some top of the line thing only to find I use it only once or twice a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

webber non fancy types