Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

sullat posted:

Go to law school!

I wish more lawyer jobs involved dismantling white supremacy and opposing fascism.

Of course if we can get qualified immunity chucked out then maybe they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Some of us were 3rd amendment stans before it was cool

I think i've posted before about how I think there's conceptual room for a "strong" reading of the third amendment, where it blocks things like surveillance in the home, etc. Basically 3rd amendment as explicit right to privacy (following Griswold). But the law isn't actually there.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, in Canada

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Judges are the worst and I wish we had some check against them. Has any country explored that?

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I've always wanted to make an argument that the military draft constitutes unlawful involuntary servitude under the Constitution.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Virtually guaranteed to be appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada. But defence lawyers across the country are celebrating.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

thehoodie posted:

Virtually guaranteed to be appealed to the Supreme Court of Canada. But defence lawyers across the country are celebrating.

With drinks, I imagine

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
intox to the point of non insane automatism SHOULD be vanishingly rare, honestly my concern is just that judges will gently caress it up and turn it into "well, both of them were real drunk, so is it really sex assault?" (they already do that)

if s.33.1 is ruled unconstitutional at the SCC they'll create a new general intent offence for knowingly getting intoxicated to that degree or something. no way they leave an out for voluntary consumption of huge amounts of intoxicants as a defence to criminal charges

fun story, s.33.1 was made a law in response to a guy drinking a 6 pack of beer and 40 oz of brandy, raping an elderly woman in a wheelchair while "blacked out", and then being acquitted because of his intoxication!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

intox to the point of non insane automatism SHOULD be vanishingly rare, honestly my concern is just that judges will gently caress it up and turn it into "well, both of them were real drunk, so is it really sex assault?" (they already do that)

if s.33.1 is ruled unconstitutional at the SCC they'll create a new general intent offence for knowingly getting intoxicated to that degree or something. no way they leave an out for voluntary consumption of huge amounts of intoxicants as a defence to criminal charges

fun story, s.33.1 was made a law in response to a guy drinking a 6 pack of beer and 40 oz of brandy, raping an elderly woman in a wheelchair while "blacked out", and then being acquitted because of his intoxication!

Yeah involuntary action as a result of consuming alcohol is not just "drunk" it's "almost dead and spasming as life leaves your body."

I'm all for it being a mitigating factor or preventing say, premeditation, but I don't have much of a problem with lapse of judgment where alcohol was a contributing factor being treated largely the same as guilty.

SlyFrog posted:

I've always wanted to make an argument that the military draft constitutes unlawful involuntary servitude under the Constitution.

I've always been glad I don't have to.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

SlyFrog posted:

iirc scotus's reasoning for why conscription is not barred by the 13th amendment is extremely sus

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Unamuno posted:

iirc scotus's reasoning for why conscription is not barred by the 13th amendment is extremely sus

Yeah, I just read the Selective Draft Law Cases decision quickly. Basically, a pretty tortured reading that consists of Constitution gives the government right to raise armies, it's always been done so it must be okay, lol fuckers.

I mean, "Finally, as we are unable to conceive upon what theory the exaction by government from the citizen of the performance of his supreme and noble duty of contributing to the defense of the rights and honor of the nation, as the result of a war declared by the great representative body of the people, can be said to be the imposition of involuntary servitude in violation of the prohibitions of the Thirteenth Amendment, we are constrained to the conclusion that the contention to that effect is refuted by its mere statement."

That's pretty hilariously terrible. I mean, you know there was no way they were going to say there couldn't be an involuntary draft, but still, that's almost insultingly bad reasoning.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Nonexistence posted:

Judges are the worst and I wish we had some check against them. Has any country explored that?

One time someone told me that if the government really cared about justice they'd abolish the separation of powers and make judges directly accountable to politicians.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Law is inherently conservative and reactionary and sucks generally. Welp,

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

SlyFrog posted:

Yeah, I just read the Selective Draft Law Cases decision quickly. Basically, a pretty tortured reading that consists of Constitution gives the government right to raise armies, it's always been done so it must be okay, lol fuckers.

I mean, "Finally, as we are unable to conceive upon what theory the exaction by government from the citizen of the performance of his supreme and noble duty of contributing to the defense of the rights and honor of the nation, as the result of a war declared by the great representative body of the people, can be said to be the imposition of involuntary servitude in violation of the prohibitions of the Thirteenth Amendment, we are constrained to the conclusion that the contention to that effect is refuted by its mere statement."

That's pretty hilariously terrible. I mean, you know there was no way they were going to say there couldn't be an involuntary draft, but still, that's almost insultingly bad reasoning.

I mean, it's not like a constitutional amendment allowing it wouldn't pass in record time, so they could have actually done the right thing.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

It wouldn't have even been that hard to actually ground the logic though. Considering the Civil War was won by a conscripted army, legislative intent as to what was meant by "involuntary servitude" gives you a drat easy out.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Unamuno posted:

next time I get jury duty I’m pleading the 13th

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

evilweasel posted:

next time I get jury duty I’m pleading the 13th

Look, if the 13th wasn't written for the FYGM crowd, who else could have afforded the lobbyists?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

SlyFrog posted:

Is there any case that uses a phrase like "supreme and noble duty" that isn't horse crap.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

SlyFrog posted:

Cool tautology judge

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

What, you veer into my specialty field and you don't write, you don't call? No batsignal?

Yeah, this is cool and an acknowledgment of one of the central problems of high degrees of intoxication. If we care about things such as criminal intent (which we should) then the problem of the mental state during severe intoxication has to be addressed somehow.

Now, the canadians aren't the only ones to notice this poo poo. Ze germans have developed an entire legal framework around this once they realized that the criminal intent component was a problem. Their general solution is

a new general intent offence for knowingly getting intoxicated to that degree or something.

Yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actio_libera_in_causa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vollrausch

Which is a weird statute. It basically sets a "cap" on sentencing as I suppose a compensation for it not being really super duper okay to convict a person without the capability to hold criminal intent? I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but if it's anything like ours, it's probably "because we said so".

You see

. no way they leave an out for voluntary consumption of huge amounts of intoxicants as a defence to criminal charges

This is kinda sorta what Norway did in the older criminal code (before 2005, new one implemented 2018).

While there was a general principle at work for "assuming" adequate intent for general criminal acts, it was decided that this couldn't logically and sensibly apply to special intent, such as intent to make financial gain (a core component of the theft, embezzlement, fraud statutes) or premeditation. It was (an possibly is still today, but that's a whole debate) not supposed to be possible to convict someone in Norway for theft if they are roaring drunk. But why does this only apply to special intent and not general criminal intent? There's no real logical barrier between the reasoning for special intent that doesn't also apply to general criminal intent because quite frankly, having a mental state that makes special intent impossible sort of implies that general criminal intent is similarly impossible or at the very least the principle of doubt should come into play at that point anyway.

I mean, I know why that isn't the case because no loving way can the legislature nor the police live with something like that, but it just pisses me off that the general reasoning for why and how to make the distinction amounts to :shrug: Yeah, believe me, I've looked, the reasoning is basically not there and it somehow magically is never problematized in the higher courts.

In conclusion, getting drunk and sexually assaulting the statue down at the fish market is a land of contrasts

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All I'm seeing is strong policy reasons to decrease the accepted role of intoxication in culture.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

All I'm seeing is strong policy reasons to decrease the accepted role of intoxication in culture.

I'll drink to that! Skål!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Did someone say Skoal?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nice piece of fish posted:

In conclusion, getting drunk and sexually assaulting the statue down at the fish market is a land of contrasts

:golfclap:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Lol at Twitter just now learning what Qualified Immunity is

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
you fucks have been awfully quiet lately - did everyone eat a proby in DND and I don't know about it?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I wrote a bunch of bond motions with my old colleagues at the PD's office who got overwhelmed. :feelsgood:

Toona the Cat fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 8, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

you fucks have been awfully quiet lately - did everyone eat a proby in DND and I don't know about it?

the world has been busy enough that i have not lacked for distractions

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Hey I just wanted to drop in this thread and say, thanks for talking me out of law school. I stayed at my cushy but boring AF job instead. I would have graduated this year had I ended up applying and been accepted (had already taken the LSAT when I inquired 3 years ago), and JFC what a bullet I dodged here.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BitesizedNike posted:

Hey I just wanted to drop in this thread and say, thanks for talking me out of law school. I stayed at my cushy but boring AF job instead. I would have graduated this year had I ended up applying and been accepted (had already taken the LSAT when I inquired 3 years ago), and JFC what a bullet I dodged here.

Truly the uplifting story we need in these trying times. Congratulations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

BitesizedNike posted:

new OP plz phil

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
And we complain about how few success stories there are in the thread.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

BitesizedNike posted:

God bless :patriot:

We shifted out of WFH and not having my work at home has been amazing.

Too bad the loving world is burning down.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Police here arrested 40 peaceful protestors and the DA is just like “nah” and dropping charges against all of them.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I'm studying for the bar and loving life!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Police here arrested 40 peaceful protestors and the DA is just like “nah” and dropping charges against all of them.

Good

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Toona the Cat posted:

Local protest here only resulted in like two arrests with the cops giving a very wide berth. However, those few arrests basically intentionally tried to get arrested to try and get the crowd fighting the cops for them. One of the arrested dudes was on probation for felony robbery.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Cops here tried to copy paste probable cause statements on the arrests. Judges here noped that out of court too.

Hear New York is really lovely though.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Pook Good Mook posted:

Local protest here only resulted in like two arrests with the cops giving a very wide berth. However, those few arrests basically intentionally tried to get arrested to try and get the crowd fighting the cops for them. One of the arrested dudes was on probation for felony robbery.

Here in the capitol anyone who has been arrested protesting was threatened with a felony charge the second time as of last Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Hoshi posted:

Here in the capitol anyone who has been arrested protesting was threatened with a felony charge the second time as of last Wednesday

What’s the charge?