Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DKII posted:

As far as I know, the gunshot is like which case has the antidote - it's randomly set each time you enter the scene. I heard of one case where it took several tries to get the other option to happen.

A small group of friends I know got the other result here three or four times before finally getting this one. So that’s two cases.

But yes as far as anyone knows this is actually random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I wanted to comment before the update, but:
Sigma was absolutely right, but he forgot most people aren't logic elementals like he is. He really should have told Diana that if it goes wrong, it's absolutely Zero's fault and not hers.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

If Phi's that worried about Diana having to deal with shooting Sigma though, Phi could also be less of a dick about brushing off the idea of THE OTHER TWO JUST STANDING BY TO WATCH HER PAINFULLY BURN TO DEATH jeez :colbert:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Like it doesn't even seem that "logic elemental" to me. Sigma explained it with probability numbers so it sounds that way, but you can also explain the same logical choice in gut emotional terms.

"We can shoot the gun and maybe I die quickly instead of you getting burned alive, which is still kind of a plus, or we sit here and do nothing and you definitely die in a goddamn incinerator, dumbass"

Of course, Sigma did make it sound pretty beep-boop instead though, and Phi didn't help laying it on real thick with the "murderer" stuff, but it's understandable she'd be a bit distraught about seeing Sigma get shot.

Yeah, this is one of the best rooms.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Bifauxnen posted:

Like it doesn't even seem that "logic elemental" to me. Sigma explained it with probability numbers so it sounds that way, but you can also explain the same logical choice in gut emotional terms.

"We can shoot the gun and maybe I die quickly instead of you getting burned alive, which is still kind of a plus, or we sit here and do nothing and you definitely die in a goddamn incinerator, dumbass"

Of course, Sigma did make it sound pretty beep-boop instead though, and Phi didn't help laying it on real thick with the "murderer" stuff, but it's understandable she'd be a bit distraught about seeing Sigma get shot.

Yeah, this is one of the best rooms.

Yeah, but there might be a reason for why Sigma tried to sound so logical with his reasoning. Yes, he's died a bunch of times before in the last Nonary game he was in, but I highly doubt that he wants to die. Putting it in such robotic and statistical terms like that might have been his way of staying calm and focused rather than panicking. We do know that Sigma's grasp on emotional connections was stunted with how K was treated throughout his life so it does make sense given his personality.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bifauxnen posted:

I called him a logic elemental because while I completely agree with his decision to roll the die, he forgot that the one that would pull the trigger is Diana and Sigma is pretty unique in his ability to rationalize these kind of trolley problem decisions.

He absolutely needed to also give Diana a ready-made rationalization if the gun was live. A "if I die, I blame Zero". Anything to assuage Diana's guilt.
Because he already is manipulating her into shooting him so he really should give her psyche a lifeline.

TL,DR: firing the gun is he correct decision but if it goes wrong the shooter needs a rationalization to stave the horror of being a murderer and Sigma forgot normal people are not that ruthless.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can certainly see how the idea of outcomes being governed entirely by a dice roll in a VN format like this can be annoying to play through, and depending on how deep down the rabbit hole the game goes with this gimmick it can become downright frustrating. No one wants to feel like their choices are just perfunctory and don't really control the outcome, even if in this case there does seem to be a larger reason behind how all of this plays out. It does make for an amusing LP when things go horribly wrong (not that Sigma and Diana getting shot is itself amusing, but you know what I mean. I hope.)

It does at least keep me intrigued about what the ultimate goal of all this is though.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
To get revenge on the snail, of course. All of this is obviously part of a decades long scheme to get four powerful espers (plus Carlos, Diana and Q, who are probably espers given they are the main characters this go around) together and supercharge their morphogenetic connection so that one of them can go back and squash that f****ng snail. This will undo all the bad things, save the world and ensure that life is simply fair. Don't you think?

Mira and Eric are there to pad out the numbers.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

OddHaberdasher posted:

To get revenge on the snail, of course. All of this is obviously part of a decades long scheme to get four powerful espers (plus Carlos, Diana and Q, who are probably espers given they are the main characters this go around) together and supercharge their morphogenetic connection so that one of them can go back and squash that f****ng snail. This will undo all the bad things, save the world and ensure that life is simply fair. Don't you think?

Mira and Eric are there to pad out the numbers.

You joke but that kind of silly resolution seems entirely plausible.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 25: Don't Shoot (2)

Not going to even pretend to be surprised here.

We're not going to shoot this time. Just have to wait out the timer. It's not a long one and there's no dialogue during it this time.

Maybe Zero was bluffing?

Music: Blue Bird Lamentation 2nd Mix

[Computer Lady:] Incineration...commencing.

:ohdear:

Come on! Stop this! Please!

I don't care what happens to me! So please!

Thank you.

You made the right decision.

Diana walks over to the window.

I love you...

Sigma screams.

The flames come out, and the screen slowly turns white, then fades to black for several seconds.

[Computer Lady:] Incineration...complete. Door...now opening.

The door opens, and Sigma walks inside.

Diana follows close behind.

Music: Glacial Solitude

Phi's brooch managed to survive.

Diana reaches out and grabs it. I would imagine that even if it survived it would still have to be pretty hot?

Music: Nostalgic Scenery

Fade to white, and we get a flashback to two days ago at Dcom.

Phi is just hanging out in the confinement room for some reason.

No, not really...

It's been three days since I came to Dcom... But nothing's happened. Nothing strange at all...

Phi came here with Sigma and Akane expecting to uncover some grand conspiracy to cook up and release a virus that will kill six billion people. Instead, everything is fairly normal for the five days before the game starts.

Diana walks over to sit next to Phi.

She's staring pretty intently at her hand. Or something in it.

It's a memento from my mother...I think.

You're not sure?

An old couple raised me. They were researchers. But we weren't related by blood at all....

They said that my mother died immediately after giving birth to me...

And she left me this brooch...

I...see...

I don't know. There aren't any leads either...

Oh, I think I see something written on the back of this?

It's Latin.

What does it mean?

"Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity."

Maybe there's no specific point to it at all. But, I still feel like I'm missing some kind of important message within it...

"Not even gods can return to the past, so live in the moment so you have no regrets." That's not the right interpretation?

I guess that'd make sense, if I was a normal human being.

Phi doesn't get a lot of backstory in VLR. This story repeats and somewhat expands upon what's said there.

Would you mind...giving me a hug?

...Huh?

There's a sound of Diana moving around.

Thanks... This feels...really relaxing...

If this is all you need, then it's no problem...

Could we maybe...stay like this for a while?

I don't mind.

It is. You're a completely normal girl, Phi.

You're really nice...

Thanks...

You already said that.

Okay. Goodnight, then...

Goodnight, Phi.

Fade to black, and we're back in the present, with Diana sobbing.

Tears falling into her hand, onto the brooch.

This shot is held for almost ten seconds while Diana cries, slowly zooming out.

Sigma's a wreck himself, but too in shock to show it.

One last shot of the incinerator before we fade to black for a transition.

Music: Aftermath (Decontamination Room)

Silence, then...

Computer lady returns.

Eric's dead again. I don't feel as good about it this time for some reason.

[Computer Lady:] That is all.

Phi is "FUTURE" in this fragment. The Q-Team passwords are the same as in the Infirmary fragment from C-Team.

Sigma immediately puts the pieces together.

They must've been executed... The vote at 13:30...

Stabbed us in the back, huh Carlos...

If Q-Team was executed, that means C-Team voted for Q-Team, instead of what they said in the note.

The TVs come on.

And it's all thanks to you, Diana.

Yeah, well gently caress you.

Sigma's got the crazy eyes.

Now, it is time for you to sleep.

Well, we survived the fragment. But D-Team is going to wake up later with Phi missing, and no memory of what happened here.

They fall.

Fade to static as the fragment ends.

Well that was...less than satisfying. Fancy another go at it? Or go to a different fragment? Select the story fragment.

DKII fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 5, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Poor D-Team. :smith:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OddHaberdasher posted:

To get revenge on the snail, of course.

I mean, we've been going around unwinding timelines until we get the desired result, so extending that all the way back to the snail seems pretty logical.

quote:

"Not even gods can return to the past, so live in the moment so you have no regrests." That's not the right interpretation?

...and the rabbit says, "I think I'm a Type O."

quote:

You know, I didn't notice before now, but Diana and Phi both have red eyebrows.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
gently caress the brooch, shouldn't the entire drat incinerator still be too hot to enter?

DKII posted:

Well that was...less than satisfying. Fancy another go at it? Or go to a different fragment?

Why do you insist on asking questions you already know the answer to?

Quackles posted:

You know, I didn't notice before now, but Diana and Phi both have red eyebrows.

Phi's eyebrows were black in VLR. Maybe she's got a thing for dyeing her eyebrows different colors than her hair?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We're obviously going to go back and redo that yet again, barely even worth DKII asking for a vote.

But hopefully afterwards, we go back to one of the "betray someone" execution scenes - seems like all of the fragments we've done so far have been due to an actual betrayal in the Execution scenes, so it'd be nice to see if there's actually anything to be seen when we intentionally choose to murder someone (do we get a cutscene of the selected team dying?) or if it's just the same "we don't see the result of the vote, Zero just breaks in and says good night" we got while following the note.

Maybe Execution C-Team, since we can get to push a button on a serial killer and Eric.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why do I suddenly get the feeling we're in for an even more tragic backstory than Akane's?

Edit: And thanks everyone for answering my question

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

...Man, poor D team. If anyone gets out of this I want it to be them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

...Man, poor D team. If anyone gets out of this I want it to be them.

Phi will escape next time a breeze comes through.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Truthkeeper posted:

gently caress the brooch, shouldn't the entire drat incinerator still be too hot to enter?

Why do you insist on asking questions you already know the answer to?

Maybe it's super-cooled via that air vent right afterward?

Hey, I promised to at least ask. I didn't say I'd wait to record the next scene when the answer is obvious, though. ;)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I also like the idea to go back to see what happens when a team doesn't stick to the no-execution plan. (after we get the last result out of the way here, of course) Seeing as we're playing in the results of those executions anyway.

I'm feeling kind of conflicted right now on the decision to let all these fragments open up for viewing even though we've stuck to the plan, and haven't made any decisions leading to an execution yet, or seen an execution yet. It does seem a little weird how it plays out.

But I guess even if we did play through making decisions for all three teams, it could be argued that in any of those individual timelines we were in, there could be another team acting differently while we're there making the nice choice. Like in one timeline, we control Q team following the plan while C team secretly bails. Then we move on to C team and choose to follow the plan, so that's a different timeline now, and while we're doing that,, either Q team or D team secretly bails. Then we move on to D team, and...

So basically, it's kind of like how Alice messes with your head by changing her votes too and moving from from Betray to Ally or vice versa when you go back to try different choices.

I guess it does add to the whole feeling of random fragment chaos and confusion. So it kinda works. But it is still weird. Let's go see an execution!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
For some reason that brooch now says "Juppiter" instead of "Iuppiter". Someone forgot that Latin doesn't have the letter J.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Ah, this fragment. When one of my friends was playing through this, since Phi's his favorite character, he actually made a point of doing the entire puzzle within 30 real minutes. Needless to say Sigma got shot with no hesitation.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

whitehelm posted:

For some reason that brooch now says "Juppiter" instead of "Iuppiter". Someone forgot that Latin doesn't have the letter J.

Don't listen to Indiana Jones, Latin absolutely had a J, eventually. But yea, it was definitely spelled with an I in VLR.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Do the different execution choices even unlock different fragments? Because... we've already been down a bunch of different timelines where people have been executed, even though with the plan they shouldn't have been.

I suppose in theory the other teams could have died from some other cause, but... it doesn't really seem too meaningful to go back.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Dang wasn't expecting so much :smith: here.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

Do the different execution choices even unlock different fragments? Because... we've already been down a bunch of different timelines where people have been executed, even though with the plan they shouldn't have been.
I'm reading this blind, so no clue...but it's worth noting that the last time we saw the Fragment select screen for each team (sample below for C-Team), there was a bunch of fragments still locked.

DKII posted:

Part 20: Poison
Back to C-Team, this time in the Infirmary.

So seems reasonable to think our vote in Execution either (1) unlocks some of these locked fragments, (2) at least gets us a viewpoint of another team (Q-team) dying, or (3) both.

Hell, even if you're right that it doesn't do anything, worst case it's a super-short update of "your vote has been recorded, Zero: you won't get memory drug so you can regret your actions, everybody falls down" and then move right onto voting for a different fragment.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 26: Shoot: Blank

Yeah, I know, I didn't really need to ask.

Back to the "Gun vs Incinerator" decision, then.

*click*

A gunshot, and the screen flashes white. Again.

Music: Divulgation 2nd Mix

The door beeps and swings open. Again.

[Computer Lady:] Incinerator door...is open. Incineration process...terminated.

This line is different, though still ambiguous if you saw this scene first.

Instead of panning over to show the bloodstained wall, Phi immediately runs over while we look at the ceiling.

Hey! You all right?! Are you hurt?

That might've ruptured my eardrum...

Sigma's restrained are blown off.

Phi sighs in relief.

Diana's still in shock.

Fade to black, and we're back in the Lounge.

Phi's still angry at Diana. She'll probably get over it easier with everyone still alive, though.

No response, though she looks a bit flushed.

Listen, Sigma! Diana made the decision. It was her choice to pull that trigger! That means she didn't care that there was a 50% chance you'd die!

It was to save you...

And she did. She saved your life.

Music: Aftermath (Decontamination Room)

You know the drill by now.

[Computer Lady:] That is all.

So, because of the vote at 13:30...they were executed...

He had to deal with a handicap... He probably didn't even realize something was wrong...

Diana grunts in pain, and leans forward, clutching her chest. Time for flashbacks!

Music: Zero (Unary Game Remix)

Something falls.

Wh-What's wrong, Diana?!

Another falling sound.

You too...?

And he falls, too.

What... What's...happening...

I think...we were poisoned...

Probably while...we were asleep...

Why...?

Who really cares right now... We only need to save...

The door opens. The vent cover is off again. Or maybe is still off?

Gab...!

Old dog slowly walks like a robot across the room.

Wait...

The container clicks open.

These are...

And the container is emptied.

Come to think of it, they are writhing in pain like C-Team was when they were poisoned. Guess the Trash Disposal Room takes place at the same time as the Infirmary, then?

Gab... He brought us the antidote!

I'm not convinced all three of those vials really fit in that container, but whatever. We've got a fade to black here, so that a new background music track can kick in.

Music: Consternation 2nd Mix

Come on... Let's drink these...

What did it say on the note...?

We can trust her...

The handwriting is definitely hers...

When we voted, Carlos chose Q-Team...

I don't know... But it's not a stretch to imagine that Carlos intends to kill all of us...

If we get knocked off, then C-Team can get out of here...

So you're saying that these aren't an antidote, but...

Exactly. They might be poison...

No. I can't believe that...

We already had a concoction pumped into our veins that's killing us... Why bother doubling down on the poison...

Regardless, if we don't do anything we'll--

More groaning and grunting in pain from Sigma here.

You saved all of us before...

I'll trust you to do it...

Phi's had a total attitude reversal here.

But...

And the heartbeat returns.

Our first double-decision fragment!

This decision might be more difficult to make if we hadn't already played through the Infirmary fragment. I have one nitpick about this whole situation, though. When we didn't shoot last update, why did Diana and Sigma not feel any effects of the poison, or need the antidote? I think that's more oversight than "Zero only poisoned them when he knew we would go down this branch", but I'm not sure.

Anyway, what will you do?

Extras:

I've been a little lax on showing the files lately. I think we get this one in the Healing Room fragment, after not pressing the button.

Here's a graphic explaining how Akane solved the puzzle for finding the antidote in the Infirmary.

Some random information on incinerators. There are some common jewelry metals that melt at way higher temperatures than that, so maybe the brooch is made of one of those?

And finally, the latest Gabletter.

Now that we've confirmed we're in the same timeline as the Infirmary, here's a cropped shot of the global flowchart, confirming we're on the same path as the one where C-Team correctly identified the antidote. Interesting, there seems to be more scenes after the other two ending scenes we've already seen here, including the "game over" one....

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I mean, even if we didn't do the Infirmary, this is a no-brainer

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Huh, I was actually going to ask if incinerators even get hot enough to completely incinerate human tissue and bone as quickly as it did here and apparently the game decided to answer that for me. :v:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I mean, even if we didn't do the Infirmary, this is a no-brainer
Yeah, it would have made a lot more sense if they hadn’t shown them collapsing, so you’d have to honestly wonder if it was a trick. But since we just saw all three of them pass out, Sigma’s “we don’t have a choice here” argument is pretty convincing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DKII posted:

Now that we've confirmed we're in the same timeline as the Infirmary, here's a cropped shot of the global flowchart, confirming we're on the same path as the one where C-Team correctly identified the antidote. Interesting, there seems to be more scenes after the other two ending scenes we've already seen here, including the "game over" one....

This follows right from the end of a C-team segment, so the continuing line isn't necessarily dead folks.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

We might as well drink that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What does Phi think will happen if they don't? The Antidote Fairy will show up and give the antidote to them? She's retired

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

What does Phi think will happen if they don't? The Antidote Fairy will show up and give the antidote to them? She's retired

Phi probably doesn't actually think they shouldn't drink the antidote, she's just naturally contrarian and disagrees with whoever is around her.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Truthkeeper posted:

Phi probably doesn't actually think they shouldn't drink the antidote, she's just naturally contrarian and disagrees with whoever is around her.

If you were trying to save Phi's life she'd yell at you for unlocking the incinerator. This checks out.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
This reminds me of some of the more ridiculous choices in VLR. There's an option to Ally or Betray in every AB Game, but sometimes, there's just one clear option and no sensible person would pick the other one. There are also only so many ways to make the clear and sensible option the wrong one that gets you killed. So the game goes out of its way to present a reason, any reason, that you'd abandon all sense and pick the other one instead. The real standout to me is Clover trying to apply sex appeal with the "I'll listen to anything you want if you hit Betray" bit. One of the major mechanics in the whole series is the idea that every choice is possible and each one leads to an outcome, whose place in the overall multi-dimensional story can only be observed by making that choice. I guess sometimes, you just really, really have to stretch to get there.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I really think that people are being overly harsh, simply because we already know the other side. In this scenario, D Team already has tangible evidence that the members of C Team are seemingly comfortable with killing off the members of another team to improve their chances of getting out.

What they do not have, on the other hand, is tangible evidence that they have been lethally poisoned. There is a possibility, however remote, that all we have is a really bad case of stomach cramps and that we'll be just fine if we wait this out. C Team could be trying to trick D Team with a lethal poison, or maybe they themselves were tricked into sending something poisonous.

Come to think of it, how would they even know about the poison, all the way in Ward C? This whole situation smells fishy. We shouldn't take it!

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

OddHaberdasher posted:

I really think that people are being overly harsh, simply because we already know the other side. In this scenario, D Team already has tangible evidence that the members of C Team are seemingly comfortable with killing off the members of another team to improve their chances of getting out.

the big problem is they are assuming c team voted differently. it could very well be q team being the dumbasses they are fail a puzzle and all got killed. the fact Sigma is not even considering or bring this up is a bit weird.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 27: Drink

The thread trusts Akane. Who just a little while ago was going crazy with a chainsaw. But sure.

Let's drink.

Music: CQD Ward BGM 2

Small nod from Phi.

Small nod from Sigma.

Down the hatch! Fade to black, and we wait to see what happens...

Music: Transient Tranquility

I still don't get it. What in the world is C-Team thinking?

Guess everyone's fine?

No, Akane just took over without giving us a say in the matter.

You mean Akane and Carlos took opposite stances...?

Akane sent Gab with the antidote in order to save us. But that would've been an incredibly unfavorable outcome for Carlos. If that wasn't what he wanted, then he wouldn't have voted for Q-Team.

Aren't you thinking too hard?

I agree with Sigma here. Particularly since we're the ones driving Carlos's decisions, and technically that particular decision hasn't happened yet during our stroll through the multiverse. Maybe Carlos just really hates Eric, too?

Or that. Maybe his finger just slipped. Or Junpei pushed him.

How can you be so sure?

We've only known and lived with him for five days... How could we have any idea what he's thinking?

That didn't stop you from forming an oddly-deep bond with Diana, though.

It's just not that easy to see a person's true self.

Yeah...

Missing Lip Animations: 20

Don't laugh, okay?

All right, we finally get to learn more of Phi's backstory! Let's hear it!

That...is not the stunning reveal I was hoping for. So you're saying your hair matches your eyebrows, no kidding.

Like so.

Even Sigma's like, "That's it?"

And Diana bursts out laughing.

But, I mean...

It's a big deal for me okay? I have a complex over it!

So that color...

It's dyed.

I figured I may as well make it something unique.

Well, I'm a readhead, too.

Yeah... You're being rude to Diana.

Well, it looks good on her, of course.

My face...but with red hair.

Hmm, not bad, actually.

It'd be a good look for you.

Music: Sinisterness Phase 2

Another transition, and look who's back?

Jumbled falling sounds.

Everyone's out, fade to static.

That went reasonably well. We now have a timeline where both C-Team and D-Team have made it intact to the next round. Much better performance than the first few fragments we did. But is that what we want?

The poll is still the same - replay to get the last node on this fragment, go explore a new fragment, or replay one of the execution votes. Select the story fragment.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Would hair dye survive 45 years of being cryogenic freezing followed by the thawing process? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Would hair dye survive 45 years of being cryogenic freezing followed by the thawing process? :thunk:

By the time she gets to the future it's naturally white, as are her eyebrows.

(yes I know that's not how it works)