Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

Corrode posted:

they may not have balls, but it's also canon that they're hung, so

They have sacks in their chests full of gene seed. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Screaming Idiot posted:

Most non-goon WH40k fans: gently caress yeah, i wanna live there, purge the xenos scum

In over 25 years in the hobby I don't remember ever coming across this.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

In over 25 years in the hobby I don't remember ever coming across this.

Look at the massive groups of WH40k fans who unironically believe fascism is a good thing and will cite the space shootman lore as proof of their convictions.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look at the massive groups of WH40k fans who unironically believe fascism is a good thing and will cite the space shootman lore as proof of their convictions.

Yeah, it's a thing.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, it's a thing.

Poe's law and all, but I'm pretty sure the Twitter logos on the sword handle are evidence that this one is satire that correctly understands that 40k is a 'haha those wacky politicians' level of critique, like how the greatest ork warlord of all time is Margaret Thatcher

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah, it's a thing.

Yeah, this one was honestly satire, but it's not very good satire since most of the MAGA crowd were like "gently caress yeah, emperor trump."

I don't know who first said it, but there's a quote I really like: "Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize."

WH40k lost that clarity of purpose a long time ago.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yeah, this one was honestly satire, but it's not very good satire since most of the MAGA crowd were like "gently caress yeah, emperor trump."

I don't know who first said it, but there's a quote I really like: "Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize."

I only saw the responses.

On the flip side there's also this from the company itself:

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1268665798467432449?s=20

"You will not be missed" is the new rally cry.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ungulateman posted:

Poe's law and all, but I'm pretty sure the Twitter logos on the sword handle are evidence that this one is satire that correctly understands that 40k is a 'haha those wacky politicians' level of critique, like how the greatest ork warlord of all time is Margaret Thatcher

This is a very bizarre disconnect I'm seeing in the thread: apparently inside of like, competitive 40k, there aren't that many right wing nutjobs, but inside of ultra-far right politics, 40k is the largest cultural touchstone.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Cease to Hope posted:

They had some unique, goofy field artillery, including a reverse mortar that shot drill projectiles on a parabolic arc through the ground,

Mole Mortars! They were fantastic cheap artillery as an IG attachment.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bucnasti posted:

I only saw the responses.

On the flip side there's also this from the company itself:

https://twitter.com/WarComTeam/status/1268665798467432449?s=20

"You will not be missed" is the new rally cry.

"We will never tolerate racism and bigotry of any kind. Black money is every bit as valuable as white money. Now buy more of our heroic space fascist eugenicists."

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Screaming Idiot posted:

imho it's more like, the aestheticization of politics that seems to attract fascists and authoritarians alike where totalitarian concepts are enshrined in symbols and mythology is almost impossible to parody to people who are already fascists, like by definition, everyone else without brainworms can see the satire tho

for e.g. irl there's a significant relationship between fascists and participation in actual death cults because the most heroic thing a goose-stepper can do in their minds is die ingloriously for the state - you can depict the most insane, self-destructive regime imaginable, that drapes itself in rich imagery, where trillions die meaninglessly for it and brainwormed fascists will just say 'looks like the perfect society to me!'

a more illustrative example might be: most people understand that a modest proposal is satire, the people who don't understand are definitely already cannibals - presumably, you wouldn't hold that particular confusion against jonathan swift

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Screaming Idiot posted:

"We will never tolerate racism and bigotry of any kind. Black money is every bit as valuable as white money. Now buy more of our heroic space fascist eugenicists."

My christ you're tiresome.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My christ you're tiresome.

His name matches his posts.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
In the grim darkness of the 2nd millennium, we listen to brands when they make a boilerplate "racism is bad" tweet and believe they really, really care.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Even if you want to have the most cynical take on the matter, that message means that some accountant in an office in Nottingham did the math and determined that the money made by being inclusive AND calling out chuds was greater than the money lost to chuds abandoning them. That is a good thing no matter what the motivation was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Next you'll tell me that geedubs wants my money and isn't just extremely dedicated to plastic space toys as a concept to enrich people's lives.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Bucnasti posted:

Even if you want to have the most cynical take on the matter, that message means that some accountant in an office in Nottingham did the math and determined that the money made by being inclusive AND calling out chuds was greater than the money lost to chuds abandoning them. That is a good thing no matter what the motivation was.

Its not even about the precise money at this point. You don't need to run figures to understand that you don't want to be the one company that didn't make a statement about this when everyone else did. Doing what everyone else is isn't super laudable, but not doing it would actually be bad precisey because not even being able to muster a token gesture would be incredibly weak.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Screaming Idiot posted:

In 40K everyone is the bad guy. everyone. The only factions that don't have some kind of hidden agenda or hypocrisy are the Orks and Tyranids. One just wants to go DAKKA DAKKA, one just wants to devour. It's like the Alien franchise, in a certain way the xenomorphs are far more "pure" than the company because "you don't see them loving each other over for a profit." But the franchise isn't somehow glorifying out of control capitalism, nor genocide at the hands of aliens.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

Republicans buy sneakers too

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Screaming Idiot posted:

In the grim darkness of the 2nd millennium, we listen to brands when they make a boilerplate "racism is bad" tweet and believe they really, really care.

They did it because it was an extension of an existing policy and internal corporate culture that goes back years and even decades. They have spent a fortune on bringing the product lines more towards equal representation of late, but GW as a company has been a home for the other and the outsider for as long as I can remember.

I've spent a fair amount of time at their HQ. This statement is entirely in line with the values I've seen demonstrated there.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 6, 2020

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Screaming Idiot posted:

This is the 3rd millennium. :colbert:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe there's a disconnect between the two groups; "Old guy with 5 digits worth of Warhammer Figures and knew some nice guys at the local game store" and "young Extremely Online CHUD who sees it all through a fascist lens and constantly makes implications about purging Xenos". I'm sure the former doesn't see how the latter exists.

But for real, they're there and it's tiring, I'm seeing it literally today on big 40k places, a Youtuber has had his insanely KKK messages leaked, and most people are defending him.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You can either believe their statement was sincere or not. What does it matter? Your outcomes are 'company that really cares, wow!' or 'pragmatic company want money'. It's not doing anything racist so what is the argument here? If it's because of the subject matter then I guess you could change all the factions to be progressive but in that case why is anyone fighting? If you don't want to play fighting space mans then why are you in the thread?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Chuds were already getting salty because the Sisters codex shows Sisters from a variety of races, not just white, and then the cover art for the novel that will lead into 9th has a black ultramarine on it.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I do love seeing the variety of skin tones GW is starting to throw in their material. Its always jarring to see a unit like ultramarines that recruits from countless worlds and they’re all white guys somehow.

Also seeing chuds freak out is a plus too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

vkeios posted:

I do love seeing the variety of skin tones GW is starting to throw in their material. Its always jarring to see a unit like ultramarines that recruits from countless worlds and they’re all white guys somehow.

Also seeing chuds freak out is a plus too.

It was purely due to that inherant bias that everyone has. You're white, you're probably surrounded by white people, so you think of white as default.

It's the kind of thing that a right thinking person that once its pointed out they go "oh yea, that makes sense" and fix it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Game Workshop reveals that the Death Korps of Kreig are all black under their gas masks, a thousand neo-nazis suddenly die of rage-induced strokes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They're already worse than black...they're French!

guncannongirl
Jun 7, 2020

Hi, here thanks to my girlfriend, hope you have a nice day <3
I'm really happy with the statement from GW.

By the way, if you all want to read a really good warhammer 40k adventure story where the main hero characters (not slaaneshi/demon cultists) are explicitly LGBT and/or non-caucasian, check out Mark of Faith by Rachel Harrison. I haven't read her other books but they're very well received from what I've heard.

Also I'm really excited for the new combat patrol stuff, smaller cheaper more accessible 40k like kill team but with vehicles too :)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

Game Workshop reveals that the Death Korps of Kreig are all black under their gas masks, a thousand neo-nazis suddenly die of rage-induced strokes.

From what I can gather the Death Korps are actually clone babbies taught from birth that they need to go on a penitent crusade for the apocalypse that the Imperium caused, so... I have this ten-foot pole here but I'm not sure I want to use it for that.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It was purely due to that inherent bias that everyone has. You're white, you're probably surrounded by white people, so you think of white as default.

It's the kind of thing that a right thinking person that once its pointed out they go "oh yea, that makes sense" and fix it.

Yep, agreed on the reason and its drat good they're improving.

guncannongirl posted:

Also I'm really excited for the new combat patrol stuff, smaller cheaper more accessible 40k like kill team but with vehicles too :)

I assume Combat Patrol will still be 40k, but I'm definitely interested in what differences there'll be for it and the other varieties, as a fan of smaller games.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
It's great that GW is trying to rehabilitate its image and all, but the reason why I think their little "we're inclusive!" message is bullshit is for the same reason why all the other companies with somber messages on black backgrounds are: it costs nothing for them to do it.

They're not reaching out to help, they're not saying anything outrageous or bold, and they're not standing up against actual prejudice. It's a good message in a vacuum, but unless further steps are taken I will say to them the same thing I say to any brand that tries to pretend it's anything more than a company out to sell me poo poo:

Yo, but if it turns out GW really is doing something other posting vague platitudes on the Twitters, let me know, because god drat I need all the good news I can get.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mordja posted:

They're already worse than black...they're French!

French Africans!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A few Imperial Guard regiments actually do things like that; the Catachans are basically not so much a particular side of the Vietnam War as the war itself personified, and the Pretorians have red coats, pith helmets and dark skin representing both sides of the Anglo-Zulu wars.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but the Eisenhorn trilogy of books are legitimately fantastic and probably the best thing to come out of 40k. The weirdness of The Inquisition has always been one of my favorite parts of 40k (alongside the Chaos Cultists) and the Eisenhorn trilogy really nails the potential of the premise.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sodomy Hussein posted:

From what I can gather the Death Korps are actually clone babbies taught from birth that they need to go on a penitent crusade for the apocalypse that the Imperium caused, so... I have this ten-foot pole here but I'm not sure I want to use it for that.

Additionally, I'm not sure that "Algerians imported by the French to fight in Europe" is *quite* the historical look you want to go for?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but the Eisenhorn trilogy of books are legitimately fantastic and probably the best thing to come out of 40k. The weirdness of The Inquisition has always been one of my favorite parts of 40k (alongside the Chaos Cultists) and the Eisenhorn trilogy really nails the potential of the premise.

I mentioned Eisenhorn! If you haven't, check out the sequels: the Ravenor trilogy, the ongoing Bequin trilogy which has one book out so far, and the book Magos, which connects Ravenor and Bequin, and also collects together all the short stories from Eisenhorn onwards alongside some new ones.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's also the Arkhan Confederates, whose historical inspiration shouldn't be surprising... though apparently they're portrayed as the villains of a novel series from the perspective of the Tau.

The historical counterparts aren't subtle with the Guard generally, often played up to appeal to fans of historical wargames, which seems only fair given how much GW monopolises the medium.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I mentioned Eisenhorn! If you haven't, check out the sequels: the Ravenor trilogy, the ongoing Bequin trilogy which has one book out so far, and the book Magos, which connects Ravenor and Bequin, and also collects together all the short stories from Eisenhorn onwards alongside some new ones.

"Ongoing" is optimistic for the Bequin trilogy, didn't that one volume come out in like 2011?

I've only read Eisenhorn, though, and it's delightful - definitely a recommend for anyone here that hasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

True, but with Magos coming out in 2018, and Abnett saying about 6 months ago that he's working on Bequin #2 now, it seems more like a slow burn than a GRRM thing.