Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I must admit that I don’t find Guillermo’s story this season particularly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

You know, in spite of everything, I kind of ship Guillermo and Nander.

They'd be cute together, I mean if it weren't for the whole toxic power dynamic and eating people thing.

Oasx posted:

I must admit that I don’t find Guillermo’s story this season particularly interesting.

Oh man, different strokes for different folks because Guillermo's story has been my favorite part of this season.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've started watching this show, just finished the pilot. Please, tell me that Collin is not really a vampire, just the most boring human being ever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Angry Lobster posted:

I've started watching this show, just finished the pilot. Please, tell me that Collin is not really a vampire, just the most boring human being ever.

Ha ha ha a lot of us had exactly the same reaction but he's definitely some kind of vampire and it's amazing

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm excited for the journey you're about to go on. The true power of Collin Robinson will soon grow on you, like a cancerous mole.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moolchaba posted:

Best part was Lazlo & Nandor loving. The rest was okay.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You know, in spite of everything, I kind of ship Guillermo and Nander.

They'd be cute together, I mean if it weren't for the whole toxic power dynamic and eating people thing.

Oh man, different strokes for different folks because Guillermo's story has been my favorite part of this season.

Nandor and Guillermo definitely have an “old married couple” vibe and it would be so cute if Nandor wasn’t so cruel to him. Like, even more so than he is to other people. I guess that’s the point, though? This show is all about stripping away the romanticism that’s been built up around vampires.

Hard :same: on that second part.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

Oasx posted:

Aw man, really? I find Gizmo's quiet struggles hilarious - him struggling with being occultly red-pilled and trying to find a new way, is a great backdrop for vampire shenanigans IMO.

But there's a season 3 coming, and they seem to building towards... something. So maybe poor Guillermo will be thrust into the spotlight again?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shitenshi posted:

RIP Doll Nadja.

I doubt she's really gone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alien Sex Manual posted:

when she started giving Laszlow a handy in a previous episode.

...I must have completely missed this

Arglebargle III posted:

I like how Nandor is quietly still into it after the torture devices come out.

The look on his face is amazing

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 5, 2020

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Milo and POTUS posted:

...I must have completely missed this.

I forget which episode but it’s the one where they’re in a group hug and Laszlow says “you’re doing that NOW?” and Nandor gets a look on his face much like he did when the torture implements came out. So that’s what I assumed was happening there.

At least I hope that was in an episode and I didn’t make it up. :ohdear:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Alien Sex Manual posted:

I forget which episode but it’s the one where they’re in a group hug and Laszlow says “you’re doing that NOW?” and Nandor gets a look on his face much like he did when the torture implements came out. So that’s what I assumed was happening there.

At least I hope that was in an episode and I didn’t make it up. :ohdear:

Fell asleep reading fanfiction.net again?

(nah I think I remember what you're talking about)

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Is next week the season finale? Bummed that it's wrapping up.

Also the synopsis for next week's episode: As they prepare to attend an exclusive event on the vampire social calendar, the vampires try to survive without Guillermo.

I wonder if this is like the Unholy Masquerade from the movie?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Hopefully we'll finally get Wellington Paranormal on a streaming service to tide us over.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I like the nods to Eggers' The VVitch, including "Black Peter, a goat" in the credits.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Digging that Matt Berry Opium album.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

precision posted:

As mentioned, Guillermo is gay, but besides that, you do realize that sex is more than just "person cute, therefore make good sex"?

I've known a lot of people of all genders who were cute but known as a "sad hookup" because they were shite in bed or annoying or whatever.

Fair enough, but considering the only other company Guillermo has is presumably the vampire trio, who are far more obnoxious or abusive than anybody else in his life. And to top it off, I'd say any port in a storm. He's not exactly flush with options. Although if they ever do a familiar version of Tinder/Grindr, that would be epic.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

beepsandboops posted:

Is next week the season finale? Bummed that it's wrapping up.

Also the synopsis for next week's episode: As they prepare to attend an exclusive event on the vampire social calendar, the vampires try to survive without Guillermo.

I wonder if this is like the Unholy Masquerade from the movie?

I'm excited because the name of the episode Théâtre des Vampires is a reference to Interview with a Vampire, and I hope they pull out all the stops to do a similar iconic scene, or have some special guests. Maybe not, but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
I can't imagine that they've pulled Tom Cruise or Brad Pitt for a cameo. But OTOH, crazier things have happened. After seeing Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder and Brad Pitt in Deadpool 2, who really knows?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Antonio Banderas. Do it you cowards :stare:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerusalem posted:

Okay obviously that would be perfect, but here's the question: is he playing a vampire, or himself, or himself AS a vampire? Like, it's been established that Antonio Banderas exists in universe as an actor, but is that in universe actor also secretly a vampire?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Kaincypher posted:

Fair enough, but considering the only other company Guillermo has is presumably the vampire trio, who are far more obnoxious or abusive than anybody else in his life. And to top it off, I'd say any port in a storm. He's not exactly flush with options. Although if they ever do a familiar version of Tinder/Grindr, that would be epic.

Not everyone is into casual sex for the sake of having sex, hth.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Not everyone is into casual sex for the sake of having sex, hth.

sure, if it was anyone but a familiar who's had zero contact with any type of lover, other gay familiar, literally anyone at all, I'd get it. Guillermo is a normal human after all, presumably he has some sexual urges, so while I guess it doesn't have to be casual, he has zero romantic outlets here. Guillermo is isolated as hell, this wasn't some guys/gays are so horny they'll do anything. My whole "any port in the storm" was more about Guillermo being desperate for approval than it being some sort of sexual thing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Someone posted a compilation all of the songs from Toast of London on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efrpzn1riUI

I challenge anyone who has never seen the show before to try and figure out what it's about using only these songs as context.

Also, here's the official music video for Take My Hand: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdqu-HObUbo

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Kaincypher posted:

sure, if it was anyone but a familiar who's had zero contact with any type of lover, other gay familiar, literally anyone at all, I'd get it. Guillermo is a normal human after all, presumably he has some sexual urges, so while I guess it doesn't have to be casual, he has zero romantic outlets here. Guillermo is isolated as hell, this wasn't some guys/gays are so horny they'll do anything. My whole "any port in the storm" was more about Guillermo being desperate for approval than it being some sort of sexual thing.

I get that he’s pretty...pitiful, but I think Guillermo seems concerned more with being accepted by vampires than other humans. Also despite the whole accessory to murder/murder/disposing of corpses thing he doesn’t seem like a bad person so I imagine he’s not interested in stringing some equally pitiful woman along for romance and then being “oh yeah sorry not into you that way.”

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Super weird to hear some people not liking Guillermo's story after watching the show in a vacuum up until now. To me he feels like the heart of the show, and going back to the film just makes that all the more apparent. I think the film is on average funnier than the show, but as a character piece it's somewhat lacking in comparison. Part of that is down to not having as much time to develop those characters, plus the personality contrast between the characters on the show feels much greater, but the film only briefly deals with the familiar's plight, which is resolved pretty quickly and without much fanfare, and I think that's in it's detriment. I feel it's down to a question of stakes (hisss!) where with these immortal characters, watching them go about their day-to-day is fun and goofy but ultimately just a chill hangout kind of thing as a viewer. But Guillermo has such a limited amount of time to win Lazlo over—and the consequences of him getting caught are so high—that it gives the show a momentum that it would otherwise lack.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay obviously that would be perfect, but here's the question: is he playing a vampire, or himself, or himself AS a vampire? Like, it's been established that Antonio Banderas exists in universe as an actor, but is that in universe actor also secretly a vampire?

Well, Wesley Snipes is an in universe actor who's also secretly a vampire so no reason they couldn't have Antonio Banderas be an actor and a vampire. And based on who they got for last years finale, they might be able to pull it off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think that may have been the worst episode of the series so far.

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
You know, I never knew Gizmo was gay (well, being played as) until fairly recently. But I don't really see his sexuality as important to the basic narrative. I see him more as a really dedicated worker and a pretty decent guy, apart from all the murders he helps arrange. And part of his story is that he got sort of vampirically red-pilled in season 1, and now we follow his struggles to deal with that.

So for me, in the show, G-man serves as my personal tour guide into the unbelievably weird world of organised vampirism.

I guess what I'm saying is that Guillermo would amuse me just as well were he straight, bi, or any other of the many fascinating sexes available now. He's a well-written and well-played important character in a vampire soap comedy, one that I happen to enjoy.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Kaincypher posted:

He has the pillow for beating off into - what more could he need?

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

Doubtful Guest posted:

He has the pillow for beating off into - what more could he need?
No, Nandor didn't want to go back for it. :(

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Waltzing Along posted:

I think... YOU'RE WRONG!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Swollen Member posted:

No, Nandor didn't want to go back for it. :(

He's got the original. Nandor had gotten him a new one. It's even sadder.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Waltzing Along posted:

Counterpoint: So far I don't think I've laughed as hard this season as I did watching this episode. It was up there with last season's episode in which Lazlo ends up stuck in animal control.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DrNutt posted:

Counterpoint: So far I don't think I've laughed as hard this season as I did watching this episode. It was up there with last season's episode in which Lazlo ends up stuck in animal control.

“Release your claws, you ungrateful bastards!” Is maybe the best single line read of the whole show to date.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jerusalem posted:

ohh drat I want to hear Matt Berry pronounce Band-erahhsss

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

qirex posted:

“Release your claws, you ungrateful bastards!” Is maybe the best single line read of the whole show to date.

Yeah lol that had me practically rolling on the floor, just loving perfect.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kaincypher posted:

Familr.

(Contact me Waititi, we can work something out)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

qirex posted:

gently caress, that reminds me I made this in the aftermath of that episode:

Jerusalem posted:

Also, sorry for the double post but Buller's post made me immediately want to make this:

https://streamable.com/i5c3t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
This was my favorite episode of this entire season and possibly the series.