Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

yum posted:

I love this and the theme of ignorance vs suffering is also personified by Aki. He's shown to be a good and emphatic person with a strong sense of justice and he's also beginning to question Makima's intentions. Due to his nature, I don't think he will choose to remain ignorant like Kishibe. And he's going to suffer for it, big time.

I think Aki has "lost" something in every arc that he's been in

Intro: lost his fight with Denji due to Denji's superior strategy
Bat: Gundevil flash back shown at the end of the arc
Eternity: Stabbed
Katana: Himeno
Bomb: Colleagues
International assassins: arm and more colleagues

there's also the Future devil in his eye that shows him the future/truth but they're always lovely

You're leaving out most of his lifespan in the Katana arc and two more months in Bomb.

Aki's life is suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aki's not gonna live to see the end of this wild ride, is he? :ohdear:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it would be weirdly appropriate if he was the last man standing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

The section at the beginning when he talks about how long it took for him to begin to cope with the pain was very vivid. The man can draw some violence

The depiction of the guy constantly being in hellish discomfort was genuinely uncomfortable to read. There was this one scene where he was up all night and a character (I think the film buff one?) was talking to him and he mentioned it distracting from the pain.

Media frequently has characters who experience non-stop pain develop a mental "resistance" to it, even though it totally doesn't work that way at all (if anything it's the opposite), so it was interesting seeing something different.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
agni spends most of the manga perceiving the world as a perplexing fever dream due to the constant agonizing pain. it's just that all of that was actually real, and the world was that strange.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The depiction of the guy constantly being in hellish discomfort was genuinely uncomfortable to read. There was this one scene where he was up all night and a character (I think the film buff one?) was talking to him and he mentioned it distracting from the pain.

Media frequently has characters who experience non-stop pain develop a mental "resistance" to it, even though it totally doesn't work that way at all (if anything it's the opposite), so it was interesting seeing something different.

I think the thing that bothered me the most wasn't that, it was what happened to the senile guy who first set him on fire and his family or whatever.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, it's a running theme of this little arc.

Quanxi makes it her life philosophy. Meanwhile, two of her fiends are the Eel, who continually tells people facts they don't want to know (like the sushi information), and Halloween, who destroys her enemies with knowledge overload.

That (and her news anchor story) all comes together with Yoshida's talk about how he figured out that there's something sketchy... but he's not sticking his nose in, to add up to end Kishibe's part of the arc with him refusing to take off his blindfold, because he doesn't want to know any more.

Some knowledge that isn't existentially terrifying, though?

Chainsaw Man is getting a special promotion with a life sized statue of Denji. Just the reassuring face we all need to help us get through these trying times.

I didn't catch of all that, thanks for posting. That's fantastic. :allears: This manga is surprisingly deep for how stupid/insane it is.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Cool, just powered through the whole of fire punch

What the gently caress

Thoren
May 28, 2008
We should ban all anime and manga from ending with a giant tree. Trees are no longer tolerated.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

chiasaur11 posted:

You're leaving out most of his lifespan in the Katana arc and two more months in Bomb.

Aki's life is suffering.

:doh: those were pretty big too. I mainly remember all his old work pals getting annihilated by Bomb in that warehouse

https://imgur.com/a/OXYhfAF

Speedscan

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I love this terrible family a whole lot.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Oh wow. Aki has really changed. Feels like we're going to lose him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This.

Aki is the best terrible dad, Denji is the best dumb big bro, and Powy is a good gurl. I love them all :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Good god this chapter...:unsmith: How the hell did these chucklefucks manage to become this sweet?

So is anyone else thinking that Aki was placed with Denji and Power by Makima because she hoped that they would bond or something? Make Aki more human I guess.

Different spoiler
So Aki is dad. Denji and Power are kids. Kishibe is the good uncle. What role does Makima have? Seductive woman that good dad has to scare off?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Matriarch Grandmother controlling the family quietly, and will outlive yet another generation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh no it's too happy I'm scared :ohdear:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thoren posted:

We should ban all anime and manga from ending with a giant tree. Trees are no longer tolerated.
(spoilers for two of the 3DS Fire Emblem games: Don't read if you want to play them spoiler-free)Listen, Alm and Celica fought tooth and nail to get Valentia to chill for a millenium. Please don't be mean to my dumb cat-loving dork lords. :ohdear:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They're like the Yorozuya in their silliness. And propensity for all three of them puking. :mmmhmm:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's nice Power's mostly back to normal. :unsmith:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
No amount of trauma can hold down Power for long

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Oh no it's too happy I'm scared :ohdear:

Especially since

Aki's going against Makima's wishes. He might be able to quit with her just being a bit disappointed. Power might be able to be put on another assignment. But Denji?

Denji is Makima's favorite. She's not going forward on this one without him, and previous attempts to remove him from her grasp have gone... badly.

Makima might like Aki enough that this isn't going to end with her murdering him or setting up his death (although that would be hilarious for future...), but Denji's got to try and kill Gun, one way or another. And Aki's not going to be allowed to stop that.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I read Fire Punch because of this thread.

What

What the hell

That is the most insane, pathetic and, honestly, terrifying protagonist I've seen, holy poo poo

Really, the final confrontation being between the fully villanous Fire Punch and the zealous San feels quite appropriate. Still feels like the story really lost some of its appeal when Togota died.

I really hope Denji stays on the path of being a perfect good-hearted Nobel prize winner forever

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Elfface posted:

Matriarch Grandmother controlling the family quietly, and will outlive yet another generation.

Ah, the Hereditary grandmother

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

I read Fire Punch because of this thread.

What

What the hell

That is the most insane, pathetic and, honestly, terrifying protagonist I've seen, holy poo poo

Really, the final confrontation being between the fully villanous Fire Punch and the zealous San feels quite appropriate. Still feels like the story really lost some of its appeal when Togota died.

I really hope Denji stays on the path of being a perfect good-hearted Nobel prize winner forever
For all the movie references it and Chainsaw Man has made, in my opinion Fire Punch has more in common with a song from a band/artist that's better known for making party music but then they hit you with a really, really good song about a really, really uncomfortable topic.

I really liked Fire Punch, but it's not a comic I'd recommend to everybody. And yeah, once Togata bites it, the story loses so much.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 7, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, something this chapter really highlighted for me was one of the big ways that Denji is different from other Shonen Jump dumbasses like Luffy and Goku. And it was highlighted by its absence.

With Luffy and Goku, what you see is generally what you get. When they have inner monologue, it's on the same topics they talk about. They aren't deep thinkers, and they don't need to be.

Denji is the same on the surface, including the insane strategies. A chapter like the latest one, or like his fight with Santa Clause where he lit himself on fire, it's easy to think he's just a dumbass.

But last chapter emphasized his interiority. Even when Denji's just blundering around, like with the time he went out drinking, he's thinking about the world and how he interacts with it. He considers his own morality, his relations with others, his desires and their results. Denji may not be a deep thinker in a conventional sense, but he's always thinking. (It's notable that, unlike most of his bodyguards, he actually figured out that he was playing bait on his own.)

...Which brings to mind another avenue that might or might not have some payoff down the line. It might just be me reading more generously with regards to the boss than the situation warrants, but it does seem like Makima is the one person who thinks Denji's got something going on upstairs. When he asks a question, she makes sure to clarify and treats it seriously. When Denji says something exceptionally dumb, she has a look of "Did he seriously say something that dumb?" in a way most people don't, because most people don't expect anything of him.

This actually contrasts with Himeno (whose actions around Denji assume he's thinking with his other head) and, surprisingly, Reze.

Reze really does care about Denji, obviously, but where Makima usually manages to read Denji like a copy of CoroCoro Comic (And I'm only not saying "always" because we don't know how the conversation about looking after Power ended.), Reze repeatedly reads him wrong. She's surprised he's a City Mouse, she doesn't understand why Denji's so in love with three hots and a cot, and (big one!) she assumes that the reason Denji isn't willing to run away with her is that he has someone already.

Now, I can't blame her for that too much. I thought that was it too, at the time. Denji really likes Makima, and she's got her hooks in deep. (...Except she's letting him go out with a girl, stay home from Enoshima, nearly gently caress someone else... Yeah. Putting a pin in all this. Makima's letting a lot of slack in Denji's leash. Wonder where that's going.) But then Denji's willing to ditch for Reze later, and he stays back for Power, and suddenly it's clear that Denji's surface explanation was the truth, not a cover for his whole Betty and Veronica problem.

Denji's so hard for people to read, not just because he's capable of staggering feats of idiocy, but because he's also putting in a lot of thought in that people don't recognize because of, again, the idiocy thing.

...People other than Makima.

What is even her DEAL?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I want Makima's deal to be she is entirely on the level everyone is just super-paranoid about her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What if the demon Makima made a pact with is actually Roko's Basilisk?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

McTimmy posted:

I want Makima's deal to be she is entirely on the level everyone is just super-paranoid about her.
Let's be fair: This is pretty much a given when talking about someone with the chutzpah to confront the Darkness Devil and walking off without any real damage.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

But last chapter emphasized his interiority. Even when Denji's just blundering around, like with the time he went out drinking, he's thinking about the world and how he interacts with it. He considers his own morality, his relations with others, his desires and their results. Denji may not be a deep thinker in a conventional sense, but he's always thinking. (It's notable that, unlike most of his bodyguards, he actually figured out that he was playing bait on his own.)\

Luffy does have some philosophy behind his actions. He believes in some sort of pirate code. It just doesn't come up that often. In fact the only time it ever played a meaningful role was with Usopp during the Enies Lobby arc.

I still love One Piece but I think Luffy's simplicity has a lot to do with the series having run for so long to the point where the main cast often drift into caricatures of themselves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
makima's obviously not a perfect saint with clean hands, but i'd like if she had some good points, too. it's still possible that she's a ruthless monster who thinks nothing of manipulating and exploiting denji, but that's too simplistic for this manga.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I hope Makima is just a good guy that’s willing to get her hands dirty to do the right thing.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I love Power and Denji. What good goofuses

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Denji isn't stupid but he was basically an uneducated and ignorant animal dude at the start of the series who was motivated purely by his basal instincts i.e. survival, hunger, lust, avoiding pain. It's fun and interesting to watch him learn how to fit into society and slowly develop his own code of ethics. For all her shadiness, Makima appears to be helping Denji by educating him about values and higher order concepts. Basically transforming him from a feral animal to human. Anybody's guess to what purpose though.

Contrast him to someone like Luffy who basically began the series with his principles fully developed. He spends the series defending his philosophy but it never really changes after he leaves for the Grand Line.

Biggest example would be Himeno's death. Luffy would be seething for vengeance since she'd be considered a friend + she shared food with him. Denji, who at this point in the series, was unfamiliar with the concept of friendship and empathy with other humans, had to pause and objectively think about what her death meant to him as a person and concluded eh :shrug:

When Aki bites it there's gonna be some call back parallels for sure to show just how far Denji has come

yum fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 7, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

yum posted:

Denji isn't stupid but he was basically an uneducated and ignorant animal dude at the start of the series who was motivated purely by his basal instincts i.e. survival, hunger, lust, avoiding pain. It's fun and interesting to watch him learn how to fit into society and slowly develop his own code of ethics. For all her shadiness, Makima appears to be helping Denji by educating him about values and higher order concepts. Basically transforming him from a feral animal to human. Anybody's guess to what purpose though.

Hopefully the guy that Santa Claus raised wasn’t thematic foreshadowing.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
in the last few months we've had chapters of completely alien symbolic imagery with little to no dialogue, a chapter where denji beats the badguy by setting himself on fire, a meditation on trauma, and a chapter that is essentially 20 pages of setup for a joke about aki puking. i love this manga so much.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ethiser posted:

Hopefully the guy that Santa Claus raised wasn’t thematic foreshadowing.
My biggest guess as of right now?

NickRoweFillea posted:

I hope Makima is just a good guy that’s willing to get her hands dirty to do the right thing.
Basically this. My current bet with regards to Makima is that she is, ultimately, a force of good. She is, however, a ruthless, goal-oriented person that wants to sort poo poo out ASAP and drat the consequences. Hell, look at the arc that just ended: When Prinz is incapacitated by the Darkness Devil and the Spider Devil pleads with her, perhaps out of concern for her boss' safety, to "Please don't come here, Ms. Makima"; Makima says screw that noise and makes an act of presence, even using Prinz herself as a medium for it. All it gets her is a temporarily broken arm and getting stabbed in the gut.

Now here's where you'd normally say "Whoa, that's hosed up!". But Makima ain't no quitter. Not by a long-freaking-shot.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

I'll say it again Denjis defining moment will come when he has to choose whether or not to kill Makima, most likely at her insistence

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

in the last few months we've had chapters of completely alien symbolic imagery with little to no dialogue, a chapter where denji beats the badguy by setting himself on fire, a meditation on trauma, and a chapter that is essentially 20 pages of setup for a joke about aki puking. i love this manga so much.

I think that's kinda selling this latest chapter short.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that's kinda selling this latest chapter short.

that's fair; the last page wouldn't have resonated with me if the rest of the chapter hadn't done an amazing job establishing how much the emotional connections between aki, denji, and power have developed.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I already lived in dread for Aki especially after him saving Angel. Thi is too much... pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I already lived in dread for Aki especially after him saving Angel. Thi is too much... pls

Aki's been totally doomed for around a year now. At some point, you should get used to the steadily increasing pile of death flags.

Still wonder how Makima's going to be handling this. Despite her superiors's warnings, she does get at least a bit attached, and Aki, Power, and Denji are clearly her favorites. (Amusing to note that it was Aki who got Power assigned to Denji, even if Makima is the one who made them all housemates.) Means that simple slaughter isn't going to be a first solution.