Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I remember reading an LP thread several years ago about a Dominions-esque strategy game with actual graphics, gods, magic levels, Civ-style biomes and, if I remember correctly, a ticking doom counter that certain civs actually benefited from? It's driving me crazy that I can't remember this game, if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Could it have been the Civ4 mod Fall From Heaven?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Could it have been the Civ4 mod Fall From Heaven?
THAT was it.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.

my dad posted:

The "text description" link gives me "access denied" on google docs

Thank you for the proofing and catching that permissions problem!

citriccenobite
Sep 28, 2019

TheMcD posted:

There's no rule that says you can't LP something that somebody else already did, even if the LP wasn't abandoned, hell, even if the LP is still ongoing. We've had parallel threads of the same game before (Dark Souls, for instance, had parallel threads, I think).

If you want to take over where the other LPer stopped and use their updates as a base, you should check with them first, but it's not unprecedented (I had the inverse of this happen to me with me taking over an LP that somebody else started but wasn't able to continue because of life happening). If you're starting fresh, you can just go for it and it's fine.

Yeah, I was just planning to start fresh, so I guess that's what I'll do. Thanks!

Oheao
Apr 12, 2019

Nazi Punks Fuck Off!
So, I'm thinking of posting my first ever LP here. I was planning on doing Thief Gold, but as that's a fairly long game I am going to do Half-Life: Opposing Force first as that game is shorter and will allow me to get some feedback on what I did right/wrong so that the Thief LP will be better. I guess I still need to make pictures for a head and the different parts?

What is your major malfunction, maggot? - Let's Play Half-Life: Opposing Force

Hello everyone! Welcome to my very first let's play: a blind, subtitled run of Half-Life: Opposing Force!

What is Half-Life: Opposing Force?

Half-Life: Opposing Force is an expansion to the 1998 first-person shooter Half-Life. Rather than taking on the role of protagonist Gordon Freeman, you play the role of marine Adrian Shephard, hence the game's title. Being an expansion pack, it does offer many of the same areas, enemies and events of the original while also also being a shorter title. However, it does also provide unique areas, weapons and enemies not featured in the original title. This game is also historically important for being the first game ever released by Gearbox Software, later known for their masterpieces Borderlands and Aliens: Colonial Marines.

What is this let's play?

This will be a blind, subtitled let's play. I try to cut out most of the aimless wandering and deaths, though a few are left in if they don't take up too much time. I try to use a mix of some informative notes along with thoughts I had playing and some attempts at humour. I anticipate updating every other day, for a total of 5 parts (though not every part will be equal in length).

This is part 1 (video may still be processing when you see this):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubPaAK9o3u4
I don't know, it just seems bare to me. Like I feel that I need to put more stuff in it. I think pictures would help but I'm pretty terrible at Photoshop. I guess we'll see what I can come up with.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking just for myself, I find it difficult to watch subtitled LPs of FPS games, as reading draws attention away from the action. I'd also consider making the episodes shorter for similar reasons - you gotta be sure either the game or your commentary is really engaging if you want someone to watch an hour's worth of subtitled VLP.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 27, 2020

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Heya, just wondering if there's a place for videos like this on the subforum. Talking about this Youtube-style cutdown of a stream, probably play a different game every time.

I guess my question is, would anybody actually want to watch more of this?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

The Casual LP thread maybe?

As for your second question, most likely yes.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't interest checks still verboten?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Podima posted:

Aren't interest checks still verboten?

Yeah, but that's not an interest check. An interest check is "would somebody want to see me LP Game X and I don't have a test post", not "I did this, are people interested in seeing more of it".

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Thanks a bunch, I'll see if people wouldn't mind to have that in that casual thread. Sorry if it came off as a low effort here have this video kinda interest check thing, just didn't wanna talk it up as anything more than the basic thing that it is. Been helped, thanks all!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Can I request that it be made a forum-wide rule that no LP is allowed to timg their images? I'm seeing too many of 'em do this and it annoys the poo poo out of me. They don't even need to be small, this isn't 56k no modem days anymore!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can I request that it be made a forum-wide rule that no LP is allowed to timg their images? I'm seeing too many of 'em do this and it annoys the poo poo out of me. They don't even need to be small, this isn't 56k no modem days anymore!

I'm kinda tempted to see how this would look in the thread without the thumbnails: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910373&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post503993047

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, there's also stuff like the annual Baldur's Gate ironman challenge which generally attracts people who don't have experience doing SSLPs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd be hesitant to install a straight up rule against it, because it seems like a matter of common sense more than anything. The only reason anyone should be using TIMG tags is if their images are grossly gigantic, and if they have an entire update's worth of gigantic images that need TIMG tags then that's just kind of gauche in general.

I think the more reasonable course of action is to just ask the OP in their thread to reconsider using the thumbnail tags and explain your reasons to them, and if they aren't receptive to it, then take it to the mods and we'll have a chat with them. But yeah like anilEhilated said, it seems to be a matter of OPs who might not know any better, in which case it's simply just a learning experience.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is all reasonable, but damnit, I want to be unreasonable and have giant images everywhere regardless of context. :sigh:

Ah well, thank you for hearing me out. I want to enjoy LPs with no quibbles with technical stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's also the fact that the LP archive doesn't support images that are over 900 pix wide. So timg has to be used in the case that gigantic images are used.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think the archive supports timg either though???

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah timg wont bypass that. You'd have to use an image that is 900 or lower and have it link to another image of the full screen image if you really need a bigger image

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I thought it just shrunk the image and turned it into a hyperlink to view the full sized image instead of being able to click on it to blow up the image, like on the test poster. Does it really not work at all there?

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.
I actually just spent a lot of time internally debating using timg. I went with them thinking that it would be considered polite to use them, so this conversation is a tad distressing.

For this post in particular, I had a lot of large screenshots that I wanted to include at full size for people who might be interested in seeing detail, but initiated them as a thumbnail so that a reader not interested in detail could just get a quick glance of what I'm referring to and not have it disrupt the flow of reading. Can someone advise me if this considered to be a bad practice and I should just full size everything, or is my style of presentation unique enough that the usual complaints against timg do not apply?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If your images are archive-sized (ie less than 900 wide) and not ludicrously tall, you should always leave them at full size (imo). There are arguments to be made, certainly, but the core one I always come back to is this: Imagine that you're reading a thread you really like. You *want* to see all the images and content, right? Imagine if you had to click and blow up every single image in the thread. It would be tedious at best and incredibly obnoxious at worst, and I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't be bothered for checking out of the thread. Lord knows I would.

E: Basically this:

nine-gear crow posted:

The only reason anyone should be using TIMG tags is if their images are grossly gigantic, and if they have an entire update's worth of gigantic images that need TIMG tags then that's just kind of gauche in general.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

An entire update of timgs would be completely tedious for the reader to read through. Find a way to either shrink down the images (900 pix wide is the most the archive accepts), or get the information in them across in another format if that's not a measure you can take for whatever reason. An occasional use of the tag can be fine if there really is no other choice. Constant usage will drive off readers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Getting below 900 px wide is only important if you care to have your LP on the archive.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Getting below 900 px wide is only important if you care to have your LP on the archive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think it's safe to assume that if someone is in the thread reading the update, then they're interested in what you have to say. And if they aren't, they can easily scroll past the screenshots. If you have something where you legitimately think a significant number of people will be bored, for example you're about to document 5 hours of grinding, you can say "if you don't care about this, search for "GRIND ENDS HERE" to skip it" and then include the relevant text at the point where the interesting content starts up again.

tl;dr it's easier to scroll past uninteresting content than it is to click repeatedly on interesting content.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am lazy lp reader. Clicking to make images big is tedious. I come to lp to read and be entertained/learn cool things, not to click. If I wanted to click I'd play the game myself.

My laziness aside I appreciate making an lp timg out of consideration. The wrong choice was made but I appreciate the intent.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I feel timg is largely quite pointless for huge image purposes since the forums will resize oversized images to fit the view anyway.

I browse in a window. This shows up 840 pixels wide for me.

So for enormous images that need to be seen in full, you're better off making a link to the full thing.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

I actually just spent a lot of time internally debating using timg. I went with them thinking that it would be considered polite to use them, so this conversation is a tad distressing.

For this post in particular, I had a lot of large screenshots that I wanted to include at full size for people who might be interested in seeing detail, but initiated them as a thumbnail so that a reader not interested in detail could just get a quick glance of what I'm referring to and not have it disrupt the flow of reading. Can someone advise me if this considered to be a bad practice and I should just full size everything, or is my style of presentation unique enough that the usual complaints against timg do not apply?

imo you're using timg's right in that post - things like pretty pics and concept art and the like are fine to be shrunk. You're not doing a SSLP in which people have to click everything, you're okay.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

I've never done an LP on here before, but I'm planning on doing an SSLP of Football Manager 2019 with goon-generated players, meaning I don't have any gameplay to show off outside of the tutorial. I'm planning on having a 3-way split between press and narrative interludes to keep things fresh, the game itself, and information regarding the sport at large. The sample post below is of the tutorial, with the OP above it. Any advice or feedback is appreciated, as well as an indication of whether the explanations and information are accessible for people unfamiliar with football/soccer.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156856

Sonnenkind
Jun 19, 2013

The Flaming Moron
Hello everyone!
I don't have a testvideo right now simply because I want to ask this first before starting the project; but would it be fine to open an LP thread for a Doom Mod?
I know there have been LPs of Doom Mods before, but I'm planning on only doing one (which has 36 maps, so it's not short).
Just wanted to know if that's allowed and I wouldn't break any rules.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't see why not. There have been plenty of LPs of Pokemon romhacks, for example.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
LP's of mods are fine, they've been done before and a few have even made it into the archive.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Someone LP'd rock paper scissors, embrace chaos

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Danaru posted:

embrace chaos

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Danaru posted:

That was one of the best LPs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Danaru posted:

Someone got probated for cheating at the lp of rock paper scissors.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Danaru posted:

The rock paper scissors LP was one of the best things this subforum has done

That said, ripping and tearing with a DOOM mod sounds fine, you must be huge, so you must have huge guts to pull it off.

(Not you Dan, though you are also huge and fearsome)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Leal posted:

Someone got probated for cheating at the lp of rock paper scissors.

That person later became a moderator.