Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...

SardonicTyrant posted:

On the one hand I think he's a bit too juvenile for this show, on the other hand they managed to make an rear end bomb into a serious threat.
There is always that. I'm still hoping though. They could easily tone his massive member down to a more normal size, and focus on his obvious competence and friendly personality. IMO, he's one of the nicest persons in this cynical universe, and I hope he gets at least a cameo. Hell, Terror's in season 2, as I understand it. Why not Vas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MizPiz posted:

He doesn't care about any sort of societal project that isn't centered around letting him him get away with whatever he wants.

Ah so he's a libertarian

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm like 85% sure he was cast. I think it was that stranger things cop guy. They one from the hellboy reboot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm like 85% sure he was cast. I think it was that stranger things cop guy. They one from the hellboy reboot.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Black Widow movie, where he's been cast as a Soviet era version of Captain America. Which was Vas's role in Glorious Five Year Plan, to be fair.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

On a rewatch, It's so awesome watching Homelander's face when the boss lady is holding his head in her lap and lying to him.

I'm totes stealing mannerisms from Homelander and Butcher for some of the VIP NPCs in the Dark Heresy campaign I'm running.

Butcher for the Radical Inquisitor, Homelander for the Monodominant.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

just started watching Banshee because of everyone talking about it regarding Antony Starr and jesus christ he's basically exactly like Homelander except he knows he's a bad person

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's a fun series so far (halfway through the first season) just what I've observed so far

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Banshee is one of the greatest TV shows ever made, and oddly enough, I found Starr was one of the weaker (still good) cast members on the show.

He absolutely is bananas in The Boys though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hizawk posted:

He absolutely is bananas in The Boys though.

Yeah the mannerisms and also physical appearance for the role casting was fantastic.

You can also tell that Starr really enjoyed the craziness of the role.

It's a fun a character since Homelander physically is a wrestling face character but deep down he's actually a heel character who really enjoys being able get away with anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like how we see him staring at a huge portrait of himself which makes him look like a major narcissist but then you also realize he's using his xray vision to creep on his boss .

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

He says something to that effect SO often during the show and it keeps getting funnier because it becomes clear it's just a marketing thing he repeats on cue like a Pavlovian reflex. Like, if in the middle of fighting him you'd go "You're amazing, Homelander!" he'd stop mid-punch, point at you with that fake grin and go, "No, YOU are!"

And then he'd kill you.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Swollen Member posted:

If so, do you think we'll see Love Sausage? AFAICR, Vas was Billys Russian contact when the Boys went to Moscow to investigate exploding supes.

He better loving be in the show.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I just finished this the other day, and wow that was some really amazing stuff. The acting is really really superb, and the conflicts and characters are written in a compelling way. Starr steals the show for sure as Homelander, mother fucker is terrifying.

That baby is def toast.

Having read about the comic, i sure would like Huey and Annie to have like a functional relationship once they're past the circumstances that brought them together. seems like in the comic its on again off again drama so they could be the "happy ending"? I also having gone through this thread and the wiki have 0 interest in reading the actual comic. It seems like the show has taken the really good core pieces of the show and done something more interesting with it.

Season 2 sometime this summer which i guess makes my timing on watching it good.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 26, 2020

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm really curious what they do with Black Noir since I get the sense they aren't going to go the same way the comics did.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Starr vs Starr would probably melt the computers handling the CGI for the fight

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 29, 2020

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

El Padrino posted:

Starr vs Starr would probably melt the computers handling the CGI for the fight
Please tag that post.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Though the casting for the other heroes was really especially Translucent or Deep with his downward spiral into being exiled off to the Midwest.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Watching a review of the new The Boys comic that takes place in 2020. First convo Huey has is that he's so ashamed of how the world is with Brexit, Trump, and fake woke culture people that he's glad his parents died so they don't have to see it. I think his parents would rather be not-dead than not have to worry about politics in countries they don't live in and what twitter is talking about.

Did I mention the show is much better than the comic?

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 7, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blaise330 posted:

he's so ashamed of how the world is with Brexit, Trump

Well that seems reasonable enoug-

Blaise330 posted:

and fake woke culture people
God loving dammit :negative:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The fake ones ARE bad though.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Even if you hate all 3 of those things, saying "I'm glad my dead parents didn't live long enough to see it" is a bit.... k dude step away from the tv and keyboard a few weeks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

The fake ones ARE bad though.

I was making the assumption he was being one of those people who assumes anybody who is "woke" is being fake, but yeah that's a pure assumption on my part and probably an unfair jump to make.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Well can't find the panel I'm talking about, somehow the woke culture thing went on for more than 1 page so here's another panel

Also calls woke culture "Just white people pretending like they're doing something". This would make for a super boring tv show if this was the dialogue.

Blaise330 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 7, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat it Garth.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The point there seems to be being performatively woke isn’t the same thing as actually doing anything about your privilege, which isn’t exactly wrong. Although in practice it’s the kind of take that often leads to circular firing squads as everyone accuses each other of being the performative one.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Maybe expecting a nuanced dialogue respecting all viewpoints is a bit much to ask from a pasty Irish gently caress who was raised on John Wayne and war movies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Blaise330 posted:

Also calls woke culture "Just white people pretending like they're doing something". This would make for a super boring tv show if this was the dialogue.

Good job it isn't part of the main storyline, then.

Ennis's thing has always been that he likes to show his characters being people as well as being characters. He feels that it's easier to empathise with someone if you've seen them chatting about something that isn't the plot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Jedit posted:

Good job it isn't part of the main storyline, then.

Ennis's thing has always been that he likes to show his characters being people as well as being characters. He feels that it's easier to empathise with someone if you've seen them chatting about something that isn't the plot.

But why does being people so often include being miserable fucks?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gritty realism!!!

Man, I feel real bad for any fans of the show going "Hey a recent comic book issue of the source material? Nice gonna buy and look"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

But why does being people so often include being miserable fucks?

You have been to Ireland, yes?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jedit posted:

You have been to Ireland, yes?

Everybody I met in Ireland was really nice :shobon:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The overwhelming majority of twitter activists are just white people angry posting from the safety and comfort of their homes though. I don’t think Ennis is talking about BLM or like real effort movements there, he’s talking about Millenial Twitter Dems who still watch The Daily Show because they grew up when it was good but lack the critical thinking skills or any sense of self necessary to recognize it sucks now.

As a leftist those kinds of libs are the worst. These are the people who get mad at Nigerian kids for posting Knuckles memes because it’s racist to Nigerians or whatever, they have absolutely no idea what is going on around them and they speak exclusively in pablum and sound bites.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bust Rodd posted:

The overwhelming majority of twitter activists are just white people angry posting from the safety and comfort of their homes though. I don’t think Ennis is talking about BLM or like real effort movements there, he’s talking about Millenial Twitter Dems who still watch The Daily Show because they grew up when it was good but lack the critical thinking skills or any sense of self necessary to recognize it sucks now.

As a leftist those kinds of libs are the worst. These are the people who get mad at Nigerian kids for posting Knuckles memes because it’s racist to Nigerians or whatever, they have absolutely no idea what is going on around them and they speak exclusively in pablum and sound bites.

Never not a good time to share this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yy88tLWlg

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That #boycottkeurig stuff :psypop:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I like the assertion that The Daily Show sucks now that it's hosted by someone who's experienced actual repression... Of course, I'm one of the idiots who vastly preferred Craig Kilborn

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Rhyno posted:

God drat it Garth.
The Boys tv series: Garth minus Garth

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His Hitman is probably my favorite comic of all time and I'm really scared to re read it now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

brocked posted:

I like the assertion that The Daily Show sucks now that it's hosted by someone who's experienced actual repression... Of course, I'm one of the idiots who vastly preferred Craig Kilborn

please don't insinuate i'm some kind of racist because Trevor Noah's mealy mouth brand of political commentary isn't 1/10th as engaging as Stuart's.

Also Jon made me laugh. Trevor has literally never made me laugh.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

brocked posted:

Of course, I'm one of the idiots who vastly preferred Craig Kilborn

:same: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

E: ugh, mobile crash double post