Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
When I turn on Instant Replay it turns itself off about half a second later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

This might be relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/GeForceExperience/comments/8o0tom/instant_replay_keeps_turning_off_by_itself/e8tqqhm/

You should also confirm whether manually starting/stopping recording works or not.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah I have no loving idea why I'm not getting Highlights clips. The folder that it's set to put the files in through the Geforce Experience overlay is eternally empty.

edit: what format are the files?

You have to alt tab and go to the folder *immediately* after the game, if you exit out, it will delete them.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Check that the drive where it's keeping the temp folder, or the drive where it's saving the clips too both have space

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

E-Tank posted:

You have to alt tab and go to the folder *immediately* after the game, if you exit out, it will delete them.

wait what

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'll try that reinstall workaround. I really wish I had this game recorded last night because it was hilariously fun:

Doing trios, Lawson map. Pulled up to Hemlock from the C&A side to head for the boss and came upon two teams battling in the yard. One of my teammates proceeds to snipe 3 people, two from one team and one from the other, with his Nagant Silencer. They had no idea what was going on. Eventually one team retreats into the buildings and the duo picks up her partner and comes after us. My friend kills one of them again but her teammate drops both of mine.

What happens next is a 3 minute slapfight of ridiculously bad aim from both of us as we dance around a small fence and wagon wasting most of our ammo. I had an Officer Carbine and a Sabre. She had a Mosin. She landed a couple hits but I was able to retreat and heal and come back to shoot the air around her. Finally I was down to 3 bullets and said "gently caress this" and drew my sabre. My teammates were shouting in Discord that this was a terrible idea since she was about 20m away from me. gently caress it, charging in with the sword, bobbing and weaving. She got one shot off and missed me, then took a sword to the dome.

Yakity Sax would have been the perfect soundtrack for this fight.

Got my teammates up and we rolled into the compound to deal with the trio that was in there. My partners got two of them down and then the remaining one got above us in the small barn and wallbanged both of them with her Rival before dropping down to kill me.

We all died but that was an amazing game. 7 kills, no regrets. Hunt is awesome. :haw:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Basticle posted:

wait what

The way my highlights works is that if I have it on in Experience, I have to alt tab after the round to find the highlights and save them elsewhere, otherwise the next time I start up a round, they'll be erased. They aren't kidding when they say the folder is a 'temp' folder.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.gyazo.com/f2aca9f475070b0f4effb9b54b6b876a.mp4

Double Dolch Life

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Got clips working. This one is a perfect encapsulation of our group's gameplay. Fun with voice filters.

https://streamable.com/rf0q91

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I just bought this game today on the PlayStation store because it was on sale, any good beginners advice?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Speaking as a beginner, the thing I most wish I'd figured out earlier is that you can melee with any weapon by just hitting fire without aiming first, this makes immolators much less scary. Crossbows are my favorite weapons until you unlock throwing knives, give crossbows a chance. Once you are carrying dynamite, remember that you are carrying dynamite instead of edging slowly around a window when you know a hunter is inside.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

-Move as fast as you can without making excessive noise, but don't worry too much about the noise if it means you'd have to take a long detour.
-Nearly every audible sound you can hear, other hunters can also hear as well.
-Most gunshots can be heard all the way across the map, and you can hear horses/crows/ducks/chickens/dogs about a compound over (150-250 meters?)
-There are some particular occasions where it may make sense to crouch walk to avoid noise, but otherwise you will usually be better served by going fast/loud and making yourself a harder target. A crouched hunter in the open road on a day map is a super easy head shot.
-Similarly, don't move in a single direction for very long if you suspect you're being targeted. Be unpredictable with your movements.
-Compact ammo guns are not great at longer ranges--you need to close the gap or be amazing at head shots.
-There is no bullet drop, but you do need to lead your shots a bit.
-You can spawn next to other hunter teams. Check your map and look at the nearby roads/trails that are leading "out" of the map edges.
-Try not to start a fight with other hunters if you're out in the open and have no nearby cover.
-Try not to re-peek angles where you've been spotted and shot at.
-Plan what approaches you're going to take into a compound ahead of time. Is there a forest to mask your approach from a particular side? Are you likely to get pinched by another team from behind (did you hear shots on that side of the map during the game?)? Is there a nearby extraction on a particular side of the compound?
-Be careful about how you push a boss compound that has a defending team. Circling right around the boss building may mean that another team on the outskirts will pick you off. If you're geared for very close ranges then you may want to just push into the building hard, and if you're geared for long ranges then you may want to instead clear the perimeter of other teams before moving on the boss team.
-You can kill the bosses with the "world" melee weapons that you can pick up (the pitchfork and shovel are pretty much trash for this though). Killing them this way conserves your ammo and doesn't alert teams across the map that you're killing a boss (until you start the banish).
-Seek out fights with players; always go for both boss bounties. You're not going to improve your game by running away to extraction all the time.

-Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxQ4U13e3XQ (a little dated now, but most of the info here should be relevant still).

Varkas fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 4, 2020

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

To add to the above excellent batch of tips, don’t be afraid to be aggressive and unpredictable. Peeking out of cover to pop shots is what people expect. Charging at them with a knife throws people off in a big way.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just got back into this after not playing it much at all since early, early EA and if anyone out there has room for a third or wants to duo some time, I can't shoot to save my life but I mostly communicate and don't run around like an idiot. Steam.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Well it was fun while it lasted for a few hours last night. Today Geforce Exprience is back to instantly turning Replay off when I click it on in game. I don't think I want to uninstall and reinstall this every time I want to fire up Hunt. :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What are the best affordable guns atm? Came back after a 3 month break and I am just getting wrecked.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I just got back into this after not playing it much at all since early, early EA and if anyone out there has room for a third or wants to duo some time, I can't shoot to save my life but I mostly communicate and don't run around like an idiot. Steam.

Added, EdwardTank.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

What are the best affordable guns atm? Came back after a 3 month break and I am just getting wrecked.

Romero, and that pairs well with a Pax, or an Uppercut (if you really want to be maximize range).

Sparks + a secondary that can fire repeatedly for quick finish. Bornheim fills that role well, but not as cheap as it used to be.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

For $80 the Nagant Officer Carbine is amazing.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!
https://streamable.com/px9u3f

3v1 Romero 77. This sort of thing happens fairly regularly. It loving destroys in boss arenas and other confined spaces.

Ignore the complaining teammate they're regularly like that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, didn't realize that banishing cleared all status effects like burning.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Apparently I can only have amazing games when my ability to record is off. We cleared a full map on trips last night by sitting in the main building at Reynard and defending. Boss was right at our spawn, single boss map. I had a Nitro and a Sabre.

Every team descended on us and assaulted the building. Pure chaos as they kept coming in, getting killed, dropped my teammates until one of them was full dead. Somehow I stayed alive and I am not great at this game but...

The battle ended when I ran out of nitro rounds and was left with my Sabre. Both my teammates down, two hunters in the building pushed me. Went into berserker mode and managed to kill both of them with the Sabre.

My victory cry scared the poo poo out of my wife in the other room. :cry: 9 kills, 5 of them mine. Everyone in the server dead. Best game I’ve played to date!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

My victory cry

I'm not the only one!!

Hunt is legit some heart-exploding poo poo when it all fits together like this.

-----------------------

But also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCb6BcUUf4A

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 5, 2020

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Someone who died 20 minutes prior got a kill when I stumbled into their alert tripwire red barrel trap on an empty map, while farting around during a banish. You’re welcome!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Someone who died 20 minutes prior got a kill when I stumbled into their alert tripwire red barrel trap on an empty map, while farting around during a banish. You’re welcome!

Those are the best.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So for months my crew and I have been running into the [BB] clan. Some of them are pretty bad but several of them are pretty drat ridiculous with like 3 or 4 k/d.

Meanwhile, last night

https://streamable.com/0f0qkm (my teammate's video)

:jerkbag:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So yeah they’re really on top of banning hackers huh.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Really wish this game had kill-cams for further evidence. Apparently that's not an easy thing to do for this game/engine.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Also last night, there was a 4 way fight at Blanc, 1 trio got killed by the 2nd trio, the 3rd trio killed the 2nd trio, we killed 2 guys on the 3rd trio then this happened:
https://streamable.com/g775ev

:v:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So this game's ELO system is totally broken, right? Spent the entire night getting dunked on repeatedly by double up arrows.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Lol like there's an ELO system. Even the arrows are completely meaningless.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Dr. Clockwork posted:

So this game's ELO system is totally broken, right? Spent the entire night getting dunked on repeatedly by double up arrows.

In a sense, but the bigger issue is that there's limits to how good matchmaking can be when you have such a small player base: https://steamcharts.com/app/594650

The matchmaking could be better with the same player base, but that might mean you'd have to queue up for longer periods of time for other similar players to appear. Would you be willing to wait 10-20 minutes (or maybe longer?) to get some fair matchmaking? Or should it throw you in empty games if nobody around your ELO is around?

Varkas fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 9, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly seems to me like the game could benefit from a pure PvE mode for smaller groups of players

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly seems to me like the game could benefit from a pure PvE mode for smaller groups of players

Is that Hunt?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The PVE isn't good enough to warrant it's own mode. That's not even a diss on the game. I think the PVE is pretty drat well done, but it's there to be a hindrance amidst a super stressful PVP game to make it even more stressful. You could go play 100 other games designed around PVE that are actually balanced around just kiling AI. Hunt would be boring as hell without other players to worry about.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

There actually is a PvE mode that's on the road map, but for solo :shrug:

Also, at one point in time Hunt was planned to be more of a co-op RE4 style game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TLSJ0I8BrE

Varkas fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 8, 2020

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I am very glad this is not the game we got.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Pve players want to dismantle every pvpve game there is.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I hope crytek ignores their whining and doesn’t devote a bunch of time and resources to that in the hope of reaching a wider demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Biggest issue with crossbows is the damage falloff is extreme. The range is so short that even at 10 or 15 ft a hand crossbow will not one shot to chest.

For all compact weapons though especially the officer carbine, go for foreheads. Officer carbine is dope af, and super accurate. It's also a monster within 30 feet due to the firing speed and accuracy, lack of recoil. You can get two shots off before someone even reacts to the first sometimes.