Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I can't wait for Low-Ki's NOAH run. Little Low-ki running back to the ring to do the kneel apology thing to the fans for eating the pin. Hilarious stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
that's the one fed where i think he'd easily get out-stiffed

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Ki in japan is a bunch of japanese dudes politely tolerating a kid kicking them in the face.

2000s NOAH was some of the greatest poo poo imo. Even Misawa at the end of his life was still magic.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Talking of Low Ki vs Japanese dudes, his match against KENTA at Final Battle 2005 is something I need to rewatch. It ripped at the time & on my ROH rewatch I have to say that Low Ki holds up and whenever he's not burnt his bridges with Gabe it rules. The angle where he returned to save Joe from The Rottweilers to stop them disrespecting the belt & the company only to swerve & spit on the belt & beat the gently caress out of Joe with Homicide, Smokes & The Havana Pitbulls sounds corny but really, really was electric.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Low Ki is somehow the smallest child and the most gigantic baby. Some of his best matches are him trying to kick people unconscious and failing repeatedly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Talking of Low Ki vs Japanese dudes, his match against KENTA at Final Battle 2005 is something I need to rewatch. It ripped at the time & on my ROH rewatch I have to say that Low Ki holds up and whenever he's not burnt his bridges with Gabe it rules. The angle where he returned to save Joe from The Rottweilers to stop them disrespecting the belt & the company only to swerve & spit on the belt & beat the gently caress out of Joe with Homicide, Smokes & The Havana Pitbulls sounds corny but really, really was electric.

I wish his match with AJ Styles from Zero One were easier to find online. Early 2000s Low Ki was incredible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Talking of almost contemporary NOAH, I just finished the 19/4 show. The opener was fun but other than that, main event might have been okay with a crowd but 25 minutes of Renee Dupree and El Hijo de Dr Wagner Jr vs Naomichi Marufuji and Masaaki Mochizuki with no heat what so ever is just poor booking. Marufuji is a guy who can run hot and cold and takes plenty shows off at the best of times, Mochi obviously rules, their opponents are not awful but man. NOAH are at this point still booking things as if there are fans. It's not wise.

At least the Jr title match was fun between Ogawa and Suzuki and I guess Stinger didn't break up after all as they are teaming to challenge for the Jr Tag straps. I'm close go dropping off from NOAH until fans are back if it keeps on feeling like this.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

We're getting a NOAH invasion angle in DDT. Kenoh has shown up with the rest of Kongoh to protest Sanshiro Takagi becoming President of NOAH.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's very in character for Kongoh. If Kenoh in character didn't spend lots of his time moaning about whoever is running NOAH I'd not believe it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/xinomaox/status/1266707251340865536?s=19

This is v. good. Pretty sure both members of the veteran team are older than MAO and Asuka combined though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MAO is younger than I'd maybe realised

I've continued my NOAH catch up with the show from the 9th and this Sugiura gun team in the 6 man vs Kongoh sure is some Fire Pro poo poo. NOSAWA, Kazushi Sakuraba and Renee Dupree all on one team. Feels like 3 very different styles of dude, your MMA/Kingdom guy with a very mat based style, indy sleaze Junior and WWE style big guy foreigner.

Dupree and Soya chopping hell out of each other is fun though. Rene's cross body attempt is more like a Thez press though

Even knowing before hand that HAYATA was turning on RATEL's from seeing results it was still a thing to actually see it. Poor YO-HEY, jumped by his wife.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 31, 2020

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not real familiar with the breakup backstory but it was pretty chaotic.

I guess TJPW is having a show on another service? I didn't really get the DDT ENG tweet.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
They're doing an honest-to-goodness pay-per-view on a service called openrec.tv that just started.

(e: the PPV just started. I don't know how long openrec has been around)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is it just a zoom call?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
No, it's going to be a full event. They're still in pre-match comments which is probably why the ddtpro_eng account just looks like the zoom call translations.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I was kind of tempted, but things were busy today so I'll just wait for the VOD to go up on Universe later in the month.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The DDT TV is such a fun watch. Only seen the first 2 episodes so far but

All In vs Yoshihiko is maybe feud of the year (at least in promotions I've watched), the hype video for the Brookes Katsumata hardcore match was great and the main event is must see.

I can't believe I'm invested in a great stable vs a doll but here we are. 2020 is weird.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

forkboy84 posted:

The DDT TV is such a fun watch. Only seen the first 2 episodes so far but

All In vs Yoshihiko is maybe feud of the year (at least in promotions I've watched), the hype video for the Brookes Katsumata hardcore match was great and the main event is must see.

I can't believe I'm invested in a great stable vs a doll but here we are. 2020 is weird.

I wish they'd throw in some subtitling because following the DDT Eng translator notes is hard as poo poo without timecodes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

I wish they'd throw in some subtitling because following the DDT Eng translator notes is hard as poo poo without timecodes.

Yeah, I tend to not watch live so I can just have Dramatic DDT website open for the general gist of things but then you often get results spoiled, which isn't the biggest deal but is a little annoying. DDT being such a heavy talking/humour promotion has always kind of been a barrier to watching it for me but now the pandemic has given me the time (like holy poo poo, without New Japan to watch I have so much time to do other things), even more so than Dragongate.

Talking of language, I was on the AJPW TV website & saw a video which Chrome had translated as "Is Kento Miyahara's best training? # 4 "Let's make cool breasts"" and I love it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jesus Christ, NOAH's Junior division is in some flux. Just watching the Muta Fantasia show from 10/5 and we've had Kotaro Suzuki beat up Ogawa to take a title shot, Ogawa afterwards declared Stinger dead. Suzuki won the belt and then Ogawa put the belt on him and Stinger was back together to face YO-HEY & HAYATA of Ratel's, HAYATA turns and joins Stinger at the end of the match. And then on this show Suzuki and Kotoge team up against the Sugiura-gun Jrs, afterwards Kotoge turns on Suzuki, complaining that he didn't even get told Stinger were back together or that HAYATA was joining. So he asks to join Sugiura-gun and NOSAWA comes out to say no so Yoshioka lays him out too, and then Ohara, Kotoge and Yoshioka walk out to announce backstage they've formed a new unit, FULL THROTTLE. And Harada said that RATEL'S is done, at least as a name.

They don't have the deepest Junior division and aside from Harada and Ogawa it isn't the best but it's certainly been dramatic of late.

Also have to shout out the main event of Muta and Marufuji vs Sakuraba and Mochizuki (some team that). Not a great match but an entertaining one, lots of shenanigans, Marufuji going wild with a fire extinguisher being the highlight to me.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 4, 2020

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I keep thinking that Ogawa should have spent his career somewhere else. Every wrestler I've spoken to raves about him as being a night off in terms of being easy to work with, and the only other person I've heard that about is Curt Hennig. Ogawa's style would probably have been a better fit for the U.S., and I can absolutely see him as a heel technician in the '90s WCW cruiserweight division. Alternately, I think he also would have had better matches in New Japan, where technical wrestling is more important.

Glad that he's still going strong after he took that botched Styles clash from Bison.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kaito Kiyomiya vs Rene Dupree from 24/5 is the best match I've seen Dupree in. Which isn't a particularly high bar but it was a good little match.

Akitoshi Saito challenging for the GHC HW Title with a paper challenge was a nice little touch

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Reminding everybody that Peter Pan Night One (too big for just one night) starts in an hour and a half

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

To add to my horrendous backlog (loving hell, 2 DDT shows from this weekend, an All Japan show & a Zero1 show on top of what I've already got unwatched from the last month) AJPW are putting up a documentary on Tuesday showcasing life at the dojo

https://twitter.com/AjpwTv/status/1269606733569077248?s=20

Most excitingly, it has subtitles. There's a few minor spelling & grammatical errors in there but it's really cool that they are not forgetting their western subscribers.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Watching ddt Peter Pan night 1 now.

Saori Anou is really pretty and powerful.

Pokotan fought a Joshi who’s only training was stomping cardboard boxes. Super Sasadango was there for some reason.

KONGOH will loving kill you

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LIDET, former owners of NOAH, are opening a new promotion in the fall. I can't decide whether this is a brilliant but cynical move to prey on the smaller promotions that barely made it through COVID19 or a terrible stupid idea. Having Riki Choshu's name attached should get a fair few people through the door though.

I'm not entirely sure what it means for NOAH given LIDET still sponsor them and their booker, NOSAWA Rongai, sits on the LIDET board of directors.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: I'm a dumbass and forgot LIDET ≠ CyberAgent

Venomous fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 9, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why would LIDET think that a new promotion is going to be more successful than NOAH was? Unless I guess they plan on it having its home be far away from Tokyo I'm not sure Japan needs another indie running Korakuen & Shinjuku Face etc. I'm not in Japan or anything but surely there'd be more room for a promotion opening that focused mainly on Kyushu? Fukuoka, Oita, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, you'd have some big cities to run in.

But what the gently caress do I know? I'm just spitballing. Still, seems weird they'd want to get right back into wrestling after they were clearly not doing great with NOAH which at least had a recognisable name if nothing else.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

LIDET were doing well with NOAH and investing a lot of money , they just sold to CyberAgent because they didn't have the infrastructure for the streaming service they wanted and CyberAgent are desperate for content for Abema.

Kaz Hayashi is involved so this could be case of wanting to do Wrestle-1 without Mutoh's financial mismanagement.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'd like to see more wrestling outside of Tokyo. Makes me feel like the rest of the country just hangs out in mud huts or something.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Actually all the wrestling should be in Tokyo.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

forkboy84 posted:

To add to my horrendous backlog (loving hell, 2 DDT shows from this weekend, an All Japan show & a Zero1 show on top of what I've already got unwatched from the last month) AJPW are putting up a documentary on Tuesday showcasing life at the dojo

https://twitter.com/AjpwTv/status/1269606733569077248?s=20

Most excitingly, it has subtitles. There's a few minor spelling & grammatical errors in there but it's really cool that they are not forgetting their western subscribers.

Only 15 minutes into this but if you've ever been interested in how they train in a Japanese dojo its very interesting and really worth a watch - its a day in the life thing focusing on Akira but featuring the other AJPW rookies.

Also learned through this that the head trainer of AJPW is Yuma Aoyagi - who's 24 and only been wrestling since 2015 which is a bit crazy. He was close to Aoki though and I think that when Aoki passed on he was ready to takeover and I imagine that other senior wrestlers probably help out when they can.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
lidet might also be able to parlay their bar business/sponsors into a wrestle-2. they do the kobashi shows and those do really well. think it's too thin of a roster to really do anything though with everything scattering/scattering and haven't debuted in places yet.

or if they want to re-run pro wrestling masters. that was the only thing over the last decade that drew anything under mutoh.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://twitter.com/indiewrestling/status/1270417731553243136

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I really hope that includes old stuff, because I've only seen one match of Honma in BJW & I've read a lot about how great he was a death match dude & would love the chance to see it for myself.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

I'd love to see the old Deathmatch Wars episodes again.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
aomori needs more (any?) wrestling in it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

mikeycp posted:

aomori needs more (any?) wrestling in it

Michinoku Pro run up that way (& across Tohoku). NOAH did 3 shows in Aomori Prefecture last December, including one in Aomori city. According to Cagematch there were 25 shows in the prefecture last year, with most of the shows in either Aomori or Hachinohe.

So you have MPW, NOAH, New Japan, Zero 1 all doing multiple shows in the area, plus single shows from Sendai Girls & Ice Ribbon & DDT. It's not a lot but it's something at least.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Between this, Freedoms, and Dove, IWTV is becoming the point for Westerners to get into Japanese deathmatch wrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

FREEDOMS had its first show with fans in months and Jun Kasai and Masashi Takeda came back