Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
AIUI Panda was basically willing to lose some money on TNA (basically a drop in the bucket) in order to keep Dixie busy and away from their real businesses, until they tried leaving Universal Studios and taking the show on the road. The losses from that were so calamitous that Panda started demanding cutbacks, which is when they lost Hogan and a bunch of their other stars, and so at the same time the merch dried up. And it was STILL a long time before Carter was gone.

TNA may at this point never die but I think that was really the end of TNA as we know it. Now it's just one indy among many, trying to remove the toxicity of their brand with mixed results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't know how much I buy the "panda put money into TNA to keep Dixie away" thing. Bob Carter clearly supported it and it wasn't as if Dixie was some incompetent nobody before she came on with TNA. She had a pretty solid marketing and representation agency book of business going before she came on board.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

AIUI Panda was basically willing to lose some money on TNA (basically a drop in the bucket) in order to keep Dixie busy and away from their real businesses, until they tried leaving Universal Studios and taking the show on the road. The losses from that were so calamitous that Panda started demanding cutbacks, which is when they lost Hogan and a bunch of their other stars, and so at the same time the merch dried up. And it was STILL a long time before Carter was gone.

TNA may at this point never die but I think that was really the end of TNA as we know it. Now it's just one indy among many, trying to remove the toxicity of their brand with mixed results.

This isnt remotely true. Dixie had her own talent agency that she ran before TNA and Panda was free and clear from her involvement.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
TNA has lived almost 8 more years than WCW. It’s crazy that TNA has been scientifically proven to be better than WCW was, but science isn’t about your feelings.

Bischoff and Russo were able to murder WCW but TNA survived their attempts because it’s just too sweet.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

And now its a really fun product which no one watches.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MassRafTer posted:

This isnt remotely true. Dixie had her own talent agency that she ran before TNA and Panda was free and clear from her involvement.

Weren't they a music agency in Nashville that didn't have a single country act booked? Yeah I'm sure they were keeping in the black with no help from daddy.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

TNA has lived almost 8 more years than WCW. It’s crazy that TNA has been scientifically proven to be better than WCW was, but science isn’t about your feelings.

Bischoff and Russo were able to murder WCW but TNA survived their attempts because it’s just too sweet.

Is it? WCW was just a bought out Jim Crockett Promotions. TNA was bought out 3 months into its lifespan. It almost gets shut down in 2005 but the Spike deal saves it (and months later turn down an offer from Morphoplex to buy it.) By 2009 Panda has lost 95 million dollars on the company, in 2013 they have to shoot down rumors of a sale when they were in talks with Toby Keith.

Then around 2015 they sell a portion to Aroluxe, and in the next year they bring on Corgan as an investor, dissolve the original TNA company, form a new company and sell to Anthem. It's not even technically the same company anymore on top of the name change.

But it's still TNA.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Theseus' Nonstop Action

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TNA is weird disease you can get, formerly known as Ian Rotten Syndrome.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I tend to see TNA and WCW as just different phases of a long-existing curse.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Theseus' Nonstop Action

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Lord posted:

I tend to see TNA and WCW as just different phases of a long-existing curse.

That's not fair to WCW, they actually had a peak. TNA started at ground level and just went lower and lower

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

WCW was Ninja Turtles, TNA was Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze, and Impact is Ninja Turtles III.

If anyone wants to kick my rear end for this post I understand.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Does that make AEW the Megan Fox movies?

I'm not sure I fully grasp this concept.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I dunno, I never saw those ones.

Keptbroom
Sep 10, 2009
Which was the one with Vanilla Ice?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Secret of the Ooze

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sandman McMahon posted:

WCW was Ninja Turtles, TNA was Ninja Turtles II: Secret of the Ooze, and Impact is Ninja Turtles III.

Turtles II does not even deserve this. Not even the sequels do.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

like WCW, the original TMNT movie was rad as gently caress.

the sequel was pretty good too but it didn't stray from what worked.

III was just bonkers. We were not prepared.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Secret of the Ooze absolutely strayed from what worked for the first movie.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The one week period they were Global Force Wrestling = TMNT - The Next Mutation

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sandman McMahon posted:

I always feel like I dreamed Turtles III

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sandman McMahon posted:

Nah. WCW started as TNMT, gradually became TNMT II as it got staler, then became TMNT III in 1999 and stayed there (I guess 2001 can be that cartoon sequel, which I heard was better than TMNT III?). TNA/Impact is the Michael Bay reboot.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

oh but seriously I posted:

I always feel like I dreamed Turtles III

And that’s why I think the comparison works. I still don’t really believe people when they say Impact is a thing that continues to exist. Like wtf?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That seems more like some revival cartoon you keep hearing exists.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WCW - an idea probably thought up after a line of coke
TMNT - 2 bong rips and 30 minutes of hushed laughter(can't wake the neighbors dude), they came into being.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

521 pages in and my biggest take away from this thread is... drugs are good?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WWA was the live-action series

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Really stupid thought experiment, if the only part of human culture that aliens had of us was the complete run of WCW, what would they be learn about us and what would they think?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maigius posted:

Really stupid thought experiment, if the only part of human culture that aliens had of us was the complete run of WCW, what would they be learn about us and what would they think?

I'm pretty sure it'd get the human race wiped out just because nearly all the scenarios I can think of end up with aliens freaking out and throwing our whole planet in the sun.

-they review the footage, believe us to be too dangerous for our own good. boom sun.

-they review the footage, thinking it harmless until their children revolt with two sweeting and irish whipping each other off bridges. boom sun as retaliation.

-they review the footage, have a religious experience, existing religious authorities throw the afflicted planet into their sun. They throw us into our sun for good measure.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

They review the footage, realize that the nWo is too sweet, and then begin turning on each other, leading to an epic alien civil war full of run-ins and constant double crosses.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tato posted:

They review the footage, realize that the nWo is too sweet, and then begin turning on each other, leading to an epic alien civil war full of run-ins and constant double crosses.

a fringe group, believing that destroying the root cause will bring about an era of peace launches an unsuspecting earth into the sun. This goes unremarked and unremembered until stellar archaeologists work out that the solar system's wobble is due to a missing stellar body. A space statue is erected. Ric Flair's leering grin now greets visitors to the last known orbit of Earth.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
YAH YAH YAH COCONONO YAH YAH YAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBCxS-c3EdE

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Maigius posted:

At first they would probably think “we should gently caress this planet up and steal all their poo poo”, but then they’d get to the part with Big Poppa Pump and be all like “holy poo poo turn the gently caress around”.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo that song is terrible

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Don’t blame me, it’s coconono’s theme song.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t blame me, it’s coconono’s theme song.

yeah I kinda like it. Not sure where I picked up the minstrel tho.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kevin Nash showed up for all of 5 minutes at the end of the show, to job to the stars and collect a paycheck. Am I talking about TMNT or a WCW show?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Kevin Nash showed up for all of 5 minutes at the end of the show, to job to the stars and collect a paycheck. Am I talking about TMNT or a WCW show?

TMNT, Big Sexy doesn't job in WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maigius posted:

TMNT, Big Sexy doesn't job in WCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhS4ZDnRqJQ

:colbert:

Edit: After one move of his own devising, Nash jobs to the star and afterwards four people celebrate together.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 8, 2020