Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

TTBF posted:

What were some of Hana's best matches?

The highest rated one on @aaronlikethecar's list is her December 24 match against Giulia last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TTBF posted:

What were some of Hana's best matches?

She had a great series with Mika Iwata in Sendai Girls. There was a match she had with Konami on some random Shinkiba show that was really great too.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Tiger Driver on Twitter had a playlist of some of her matches that didn’t require a subscription to any service. That may be worth checking out.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I found the playlist if anyone else wants to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_6167CLp8Vea4GXpf3vVFkSUQRcb5b0j

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Lawson Karaage-kun Kimura has been adopted by a new owner

https://twitter.com/rossystardom/status/1268087548070383618?s=19

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 3, 2020

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I hope they post lots of photos of Lawson Karaage-kun as he grows up

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now watching Stardom for the first time. Question about the pre-match promos - are they always just pretty chill? I'm not expecting "80s wrestling just did a bump" intensity, but it is just weird in the context of most other wrestling I've seen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Punch McLightning posted:

I'm just now watching Stardom for the first time. Question about the pre-match promos - are they always just pretty chill? I'm not expecting "80s wrestling just did a bump" intensity, but it is just weird in the context of most other wrestling I've seen.

They’ll get hype for big matches. Sumire Natsu does some real good “common woman” promos

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/twf87/status/1268267484727046144?s=20

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you might become very sad if you read that

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cavauro posted:

you might become very sad if you read that

I know I did. :(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Godammit why does everything suck? :(

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

That is an incredible eulogy though. They better loving let Kyona win that belt for her friend.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

They’ll get hype for big matches. Sumire Natsu does some real good “common woman” promos

These were promos for 8th Anniversary Show matches, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

You're not imagining it. A lot of the Stardom roster has always been pretty flat on the mic, doubly so in the pre-match promos, and their subtitles, while generally fine for getting the meaning across, don't often do them many favors in terms of feeling, either.

coconono posted:

Sumire Natsu does some real good “common woman” promos

Sumire is the best promo in Stardom hands-down imo

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 4, 2020

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the sitting down in front of the background speaking directly to camera doesn't help them. Compared to something like the NJPW post match comments where they're walking around and have the press guys to bounce stuff off, it's a lot more dynamic.

I don't think they're nearly as flat when they're talking in the ring.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Johnny Landmine posted:

Sumire is the best hands-down

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

if it weren't for the prematch promos we wouldn't know that Konami's triangle is 100% or Kris Wolf will eat children. Or the saga of P-Chan, the panda bear.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sumire is so much the best that one time she gave a promo, the translator couldn't make out her extremely rough Japanese, made something up, and then made a typo while typing it in, and it still resulted in the best promo in Stardom history

https://twitter.com/oystersearrings/status/1034527917274013703

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

From what I've watched so far doing research for the TEW game thread, Jungle Kyona's promo after she failed her white belt title shot against Momo was one of the first Stardom promos that really hit me. I also think Mayu is a really good promo for her character, she's so earnest and wholesome, White Meat Babyface incarnate, even when she botches a line or hesitates and seems to grope for something to say, I can't ever be sure if its an actual screw up or intentional, because slightly shy despite outward energy and confidence and somewhat clumsy is also fitting with her archetype.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

you ever play a game like dungeons and dragons with someone thats never played before and theyre kinda awkward about it and feel in over their depth so they make a human fighter with the same name and build and description as themselves in real life and they just act like its really them in the game because they cant grasp being a character and can only be themselves. thats mayu but with 0 negative connotations

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

From what I've watched so far doing research for the TEW game thread, Jungle Kyona's promo after she failed her white belt title shot against Momo was one of the first Stardom promos that really hit me. I also think Mayu is a really good promo for her character, she's so earnest and wholesome, White Meat Babyface incarnate, even when she botches a line or hesitates and seems to grope for something to say, I can't ever be sure if its an actual screw up or intentional, because slightly shy despite outward energy and confidence and somewhat clumsy is also fitting with her archetype.

I think it's part gimmick/part reality. Like the starting all her promos with "Good Evening!!" despite most Stardom shows happening at noon was a screw up that she turned into her thing.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think it's part gimmick/part reality. Like the starting all her promos with "Good Evening!!" despite most Stardom shows happening at noon was a screw up that she turned into her thing.

lol i never got this until now and just thought that maybe that that the proper time range for "konbanwa" started considerably earlier than the english language equivalent, just like i've heard that "ohayou" ends earlier and isn't something you'd say to someone at like 10:30 AM.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When Mayu assembled IKEA furniture it caught on fire. I can't remember if this is a true story or not but it pretty much sums up how I see Mayu.

Also she named her dog Iwantopotty. As in Mayu Iwantupotty

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the sitting down in front of the background speaking directly to camera doesn't help them. Compared to something like the NJPW post match comments where they're walking around and have the press guys to bounce stuff off, it's a lot more dynamic.

I don't think they're nearly as flat when they're talking in the ring.

Big example of this is Momo who is always awkward in the pre-match promos but in front of a crowd she always rules: from her big leaguing Kyona after beating her for the White Belt to the "yes, clap" thing to her being really frustrated about losing to Mayu in the January match. Dunno whether its the crowd being there or the adrenaline still flowing after the match or what.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
About half the roster looks like they're doing the promos at gunpoint. My favorites were always when they would interview the international wrestlers immediately after a super long plane ride when they were half asleep and poor Mary Apache cutting entire promos in Spanish she knew they were never going to bother to translate.

If you're new to Stardom and looking for promos to watch, a lot of the old Oedo Tai stuff is great for an American audience (though sad now for obvious reasons). There's also this gem from Tam Nakano:

https://i.imgur.com/aKFNG5D.gifv

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Pure-J just launched a streaming service

https://filmuy.com/pure-j?locale=en

Doesn't look like there's a lot on there though (two full shows, a couple of other shows split into separate matches and the Bolshoi-Leon match from EVE last year) so I'm going to hold on signing up for now to see if it becomes more worth it later on.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TheHock posted:

There's also this gem from Tam Nakano:

https://i.imgur.com/aKFNG5D.gifv

Tam Nakano seems like just the best. When I was googling for STARDOM picks I found a big blog essay outlining her entire Oedo Tai heel turn and face re-turn and it was breathtaking.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Feral pandemic Tam has been something to behold.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TTBF posted:

Feral pandemic Tam has been something to behold.

She's toned down since Hana's passing but here's a taste:

https://twitter.com/tmtmtmx/status/1262673835813253125

I'm a sucker for pastels and level eye contact. Like staring at a seashell that blinks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

coconono posted:

She's toned down since Hana's passing but here's a taste:

https://twitter.com/tmtmtmx/status/1262673835813253125

I'm a sucker for pastels and level eye contact. Like staring at a seashell that blinks.

Taichi you made the right call

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

She is going to kick the poo poo out of him and it rules

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/kimurarock/status/1269462091947114497?s=19

Kyoko Kimura adopted two cats named Hana and Yoda. She got them from the same person who gave Karaage-kun to Hana.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Just now watching Hayter vs. Watanabe from February in Stardom and I just have to say that the KBS Hall is an astonishing venue for wrestling. Absolutely beautiful.

Also, the match slaps.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Those kittens

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just now watching Hayter vs. Watanabe from February in Stardom and I just have to say that the KBS Hall is an astonishing venue for wrestling. Absolutely beautiful.

Also, the match slaps.

Every wrestling show should be at KBS Hall. Or at least every wrestling venue should have a massive stained glass window opposite the hardcam.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

A Twitter thread about ShuPro's coverage of Hana's funeral:

https://twitter.com/farrahakase/status/1270413578604916737?s=20

Some lovely notes/details here.

This got to me:

quote:

She had beautiful make-up on and wore her costume. She'll continue competing at the wrestling ring in heaven.

:negative::negative::negative::negative:

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Kyona mentioned she did her makeup, which is still just....

I hope Bushiroad has grief counselors.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Please support Arisa Hoshiki and send love. She’s apparently being bullied for retiring and might be dealing with depression now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

TV Zombie posted:

Please support Arisa Hoshiki and send love. She’s apparently being bullied for retiring and might be dealing with depression now.

gently caress wrestling fans.