Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
How about a French press? That seems like a good way to get one or two servings without the faffery of pourover and without spending a bunch of money on a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
What about a clever brewer?

Comedy option is the 1-cup technivorm:

https://www.amazon.com/Technivorm-Moccamaster-Machine-Cup-One-Polished/dp/B014I5OWCO?th=1

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

How about a French press? That seems like a good way to get one or two servings without the faffery of pourover and without spending a bunch of money on a machine.

I can't imagine ever giving someone a French press after they asked about a Keurig or Hamilton Brewer.

He mentioned giving them the Encore grinder which will go a long way in letting someone make great coffee. Any drip brewer will benefit immediately from having a burr grinder.

I got an early father's day gift delivered today. My wife bought me a Moccamaster. Excited to exit the app life and not have to use my phone to brew a pot of coffee, the Behmor app is so bad but somehow it seemed to still work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think remembering that the person this is for is not a coffee nerd, and will have access to a nice grinder is probably useful here. If the target audience is not the type of person that will noticeably care about water heated to the perfect temp and then brewed precisely (like the people itt do), then a small coffee maker or single serve into the travel mug is probably a fine place to start.

It’s partly about the routine when you just start making your own coffee at home, so don’t go overboard and take the fun out of it for him. Go with the less advanced machine with the neat feature and then in a year if he hasn’t gone back to buying coffee every day for the socializing, maybe he’ll want a better machine. Or maybe it’ll work perfectly for what he wants too. My grandparents were perfectly happy with their Mr Coffee brewer and their tin of Folgers in the freezer for decades. Just because it doesn’t work for me, that doesn’t cheapen their preferences for them.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tbh I think a french press while not my idea/first choice still isn’t a bad way to go - cheap, small, fine to take into the porch and use while reading.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I think French press is a pain in the rear end. It’s a five
minute process if you do it the normal way (or ten minutes, involving two countdowns and a spoons, the Hoffman way), you have to pay attention to steeping time (so if you get distracted you can ruin the batch and have to start over), then clean up is more involved than anything with a filter. Not super difficult but not trivial. I find Aeropress or V60 far more convenient and both of those sound too involved.

Honestly, I’ve made some pretty good coffee with a cheap coffee maker if the beans and grind are good. As long as it doesn’t sit on the heating element for a while and burn, or have the filter get hosed up and fold over. His idea doesn’t sound too far off base for a starter machine. Maybe he’ll go down the rabbit hole and get something more involved later.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

I think French press is a pain in the rear end. It’s a five
minute process if you do it the normal way (or ten minutes, involving two countdowns and a spoons, the Hoffman way), you have to pay attention to steeping time (so if you get distracted you can ruin the batch and have to start over), then clean up is more involved than anything with a filter. Not super difficult but not trivial. I find Aeropress or V60 far more convenient and both of those sound too involved.

Honestly, I’ve made some pretty good coffee with a cheap coffee maker if the beans and grind are good. As long as it doesn’t sit on the heating element for a while and burn, or have the filter get hosed up and fold over. His idea doesn’t sound too far off base for a starter machine. Maybe he’ll go down the rabbit hole and get something more involved later.

I'm not anti-drip, or anything, I just don't think a french press is any more real work than going through the effort of making coffee any other way in the morning (aside from, like, a superautomatic, or something). When I drip, I still grind beans, grab a filter, measure water, etc.

Unrelated to current discussion - how many people using drip weigh out their water? I was pretty surprised (don't know why) to see just how wildly inaccurate the markings on my coffeenerd-approved coffee maker were.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Are the markings by cup or volume on your brewer? I know the cup measurements can vary by a lot since they can be either 4 oz cups, 5 oz etc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Are the markings by cup or volume on your brewer? I know the cup measurements can vary by a lot since they can be either 4 oz cups, 5 oz etc

The bonavita I've got has both cups and litres, so I used the litres for that reason alone when I had it for the first while. On a lark I decided to weigh out my water and I was pretty surprised to see how off it was. I'm guessing by 20% or more, like it really wasn't close (as in, weighing out X grams of water will measure much higher in mL on the tank). Now I just weigh it out every morning since it's not much more work, but it just annoys me - I'd rather it be blank than so wrong.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Thank you both for the recommendations. I should have said this but I actually have a Bonavita 1900 (trapped in an office I haven't been to since before the pandemic) and it's a great machine. I'm very aware of the SCA approved drip machines. The problem is that they're all more expensive and larger than his request. I think he's a bit stuck on the idea of a single serving brewer.

Perhaps I should just go with the Bonavita 5-cup model and see if he likes it. I know on my 8-cup Bonavita it's not too hard to brew right into a thermos, which seems to be his dream.

The Bonavita's are the most like "normal" drip coffee makers. And they make good coffee. Can't go wrong.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wow, the Encore makes all the difference. Much cleaner taste with much less bitterness on the back end, even with Costco beans. I should have upgraded years ago.

Already ordered the M2 burr, let’s get down this rabbit hole, amigos.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

red19fire posted:

Wow, the Encore makes all the difference. Much cleaner taste with much less bitterness on the back end, even with Costco beans. I should have upgraded years ago.

Already ordered the M2 burr, let’s get down this rabbit hole, amigos.

I give you good vibes so that you can be one of the fortunate ones whose burr comes off without having to take the whole thing apart

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I’m ready for it. I’m wondering if there’s a food safe grease I could use on the gears to make the unit even quieter, but it’s probably unnecessary.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

red19fire posted:

I’m ready for it. I’m wondering if there’s a food safe grease I could use on the gears to make the unit even quieter, but it’s probably unnecessary.
Some of my stuff comes with a little packet of molykote which appears to be safe at least for incidental food contact.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

red19fire posted:

The noise is from the grinding itself; the gearbox should already be packed with lubricant.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't remember there being lubricant in mine when I replaced the burr, I believe they are made of a self lubricating plastic

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So, bean questions.

I opened a bag of Australian, medium slow-roasted beans. And I think it's really nice. I taste very little bitterness, it's very warm- and mouthy tasting.

But one thing is odd: all the other beans that I opened had a very lightly colored foam, very close to the crema on an espresso. Further, the grounds would usually sink to the bottom of the French press when disturbed with a spoon. These Australian beans are very different: the foam is very dark and thin, and almost looks like what you get when you pour a Coke sometimes. When I stirr the 'crust' of floating coffee grounds that's floating in the press, it's not even really sinking.

What's going on here? Are these groundds noticeable less dense than other beans and thus float, and release more gas? And if so, why would that be?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Help me out:

A lighter roast coffee which was roasted a few days ago should generally be ground (finer or coarser) than a darker roast coffee which was roasted two weeks ago?

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

nwin posted:

Help me out:

A lighter roast coffee which was roasted a few days ago should generally be ground (finer or coarser) than a darker roast coffee which was roasted two weeks ago?

What kind of coffee are you making?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MustacheNet posted:

What kind of coffee are you making?

Drip.

MustacheNet
Dec 26, 2011

Three components, light roasts extract slower so finer grind, dark roasts are more porous so larger grind. If your basket is a cone shape you can go a bit finer as well since it will drain faster and for flat bottom go a bit more medium grind since the water will sit on the grounds longer. Most important your grind needs to be consistent so you're not over extracting the finer grinds or under extracting the larger stuff.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lord Stimperor posted:

So, bean questions.

I opened a bag of Australian, medium slow-roasted beans. And I think it's really nice. I taste very little bitterness, it's very warm- and mouthy tasting.

But one thing is odd: all the other beans that I opened had a very lightly colored foam, very close to the crema on an espresso. Further, the grounds would usually sink to the bottom of the French press when disturbed with a spoon. These Australian beans are very different: the foam is very dark and thin, and almost looks like what you get when you pour a Coke sometimes. When I stirr the 'crust' of floating coffee grounds that's floating in the press, it's not even really sinking.

What's going on here? Are these groundds noticeable less dense than other beans and thus float, and release more gas? And if so, why would that be?

Couple of hypotheses:
1) and throw this one out of you're normally drinking 100% arabica already, but if you're used to blends with some robusta, robusta releases more gas/foaming stuff than arabica does
2) could just be time - if the beans were roasted longer ago, then they'll have lost more "gas" to exposure to air already and will be releasing less into the water as they extract
3) could indeed be less dense or a lighter variety of bean. I don't know enough to do any more than speculate, but different cultivars or growing conditions could, I assume, lead to differences in the resulting fruit

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Water chat: I am OK with adding Third Wave Water to a jug of something really pure but I’d rather not buy distilled water, obviously. Has anybody tried adding it to water from a Zero Water pitcher? They are cheap and seem to be effective.

This would just be for coffee, my fridge filter makes great drinking water, so I don’t feel the need to invest in a RO setup under the sink or something.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JohnCompany posted:

Couple of hypotheses:
1) and throw this one out of you're normally drinking 100% arabica already, but if you're used to blends with some robusta, robusta releases more gas/foaming stuff than arabica does
2) could just be time - if the beans were roasted longer ago, then they'll have lost more "gas" to exposure to air already and will be releasing less into the water as they extract
3) could indeed be less dense or a lighter variety of bean. I don't know enough to do any more than speculate, but different cultivars or growing conditions could, I assume, lead to differences in the resulting fruit

Number 1 goes out indeed, it's 100% arabica. Number 2 is very interesting. I would have expected 'old' coffee to bit taste good but this one is really nice. Unless of course I have bad taste :).

James Hoffmann had a vid about the effects of storing beans in humid conditions. He observed that the beans produced less foam (I think) and broke into bigger pieces when grinding. Wondering whether these beans might have been more exposes to humidity during harvest and washing.

I wouldn't have thought to see different beans differ so drastically from one another, so this is really neat for me.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I am a goddamn idiot and dumped beans into the water reservoir of by Bonavita drip brewer instead of my grinder. A single bean made its journey down the tube into the reservoir like it was destroying the Death Star and now I think I’ll have to buy a new coffee machine since there’s no way to get it out. Please learn from my mistake and always have enough reserved coffee on hand in the fridge to wake yourself up enough to make real coffee.

Should I get the update to this same brewer, the Connoisseur?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
If you're already in expensive drip brewer territory, I really like my Moccamaster, it's built like a tank (and in particular has a grate over top of its water inlet, so can't fail like your Bonavita did).

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have a hard time believing some compressed air couldn’t pop a bean out?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

I am a goddamn idiot and dumped beans into the water reservoir of by Bonavita drip brewer instead of my grinder. A single bean made its journey down the tube into the reservoir like it was destroying the Death Star and now I think I’ll have to buy a new coffee machine since there’s no way to get it out. Please learn from my mistake and always have enough reserved coffee on hand in the fridge to wake yourself up enough to make real coffee.

Should I get the update to this same brewer, the Connoisseur?

Have you considered tipping it upside down? If yours is the 1800 (square, 1 button) or 1900 (round, 1 button) model you should be able to pull the top off, remove the showerhead, and probably give it a good flip-and-rattle until the offending bean is either dispensed via the showerhead outlet or comes out the intake same as it went in.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Scythe posted:

If you're already in expensive drip brewer territory, I really like my Moccamaster, it's built like a tank (and in particular has a grate over top of its water inlet, so can't fail like your Bonavita did).

Interesting.... I looked at these several years ago but I think I remember that the KBT was just a little too tall to fit under my counter. I just have missed the CDT at the time, which would just fit.

Big Taint posted:

I don’t know what the internals of the heater tank look like, but the bean fell through from the upper reservoir down to the lower heater tank. I guess in theory I could try shooting air into the inlet to see if I can jettison the bean through the column where the steam would go...

FAUXTON posted:

Have you considered tipping it upside down? If yours is the 1800 (square, 1 button) or 1900 (round, 1 button) model you should be able to pull the top off, remove the showerhead, and probably give it a good flip-and-rattle until the offending bean is either dispensed via the showerhead outlet or comes out the intake same as it went in.

Yeah, it’s a 1900 model—unfortunately that’s been my evening activity and it’s been a no-go so far. This is like playing a lovely carnival game where if I win I break even.

To top it all off the package containing my weekly bag of Verve was stolen off my front porch this week. Everything’s coming up coffee!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

marmot25 posted:

Interesting.... I looked at these several years ago but I think I remember that the KBT was just a little too tall to fit under my counter. I just have missed the CDT at the time, which would just fit.

I don’t know what the internals of the heater tank look like, but the bean fell through from the upper reservoir down to the lower heater tank. I guess in theory I could try shooting air into the inlet to see if I can jettison the bean through the column where the steam would go...

Yeah, it’s a 1900 model—unfortunately that’s been my evening activity and it’s been a no-go so far. This is like playing a lovely carnival game where if I win I break even.

To top it all off the package containing my weekly bag of Verve was stolen off my front porch this week. Everything’s coming up coffee!

If I had to guess, the vertical tube outlet that runs up the middle of the cold water tank might be what's holding the tank to the frame/boiler and you might be able to twist it to release and lift off the tank.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 8, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Big Taint posted:

A shart whisperer approaches.......

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

A shart whisperer approaches.......

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

FAUXTON posted:

If I had to guess, the vertical tube outlet that runs up the middle of the cold water tank might be what's holding the tank to the frame/boiler and you might be able to twist it to release and lift off the tank.

Thanks—alas, looks like this sucker is not coming off, though. :mad:

I’ve been pretty happy with the Bonavita overall so I’m tempted to get that type again. The Moccamaster CDT seems pretty tempting as well, but I do like the automatic pre-infusion and general simplicity of the Bonavita. There’s probably been a ton of comparisons between these so I’ll go do some research.

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 8, 2020

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I just knocked my bodum french press off the counter and it shattered. I haven't even had coffee today :negative:

Is it possible to buy a new uh...glass part for it? I was looking on Bodum's site and I couldn't find a section for replacement bits. It probably would be easier to just replace the whole thing, huh?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’ve replaced just the glass part before, I even think the supermarket here stocked a couple sizes of replacements? It was a while ago and I have bad CRS.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

big dyke energy posted:

I just knocked my bodum french press off the counter and it shattered. I haven't even had coffee today :negative:

Is it possible to buy a new uh...glass part for it? I was looking on Bodum's site and I couldn't find a section for replacement bits. It probably would be easier to just replace the whole thing, huh?

https://www.bodum.com/gb/en/spare-parts

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

I'm a moron, thank you.

Turns out we have a spare french press so I don't have to figure out how Mr. Coffee works, I'll still be coffee capable until the new part comes in.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
For you heat gun roasters how do you ensure consistency across batches? Do you use a temperature gun on the beans?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
There was some scale chat a bit earlier so can I just grab any 0.1g small scale? I need one for my work Clever setup.

Or should I go hog and buy a fancy one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've used this the last 7 years and like it a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1