Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
The Finnish Defence Force just put out a movie called Battlefield 2020 :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTmWCbcYwb8 (It has english subtitles).
It's about how a possible conflict might develop and what it might look like, it is shown to conscripts during basic training. They also made one in 1998, it's a bit dated nowadays:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB9ny9SR9Qs

Edit: pagesnipe, here are the best bits of the Saimaa Grey Seal live camera: https://wwf.fi/luontolive/norppalive/

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Random aside, but I’m trying to update the OS on my wife’s old Mac and I keep getting this screen. Anyone run into this?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Random aside, but I’m trying to update the OS on my wife’s old Mac and I keep getting this screen. Anyone run into this?

https://youtu.be/RfiQYRn7fBg

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Hot take; the only thing that matters is what the headlines say about 72 hours before the election.

Hair furor hasn't sunk past his traditional lows yet and there's likely a whole bunch of people looking for an excuse to "reluctantly" be forced to vote for him.

Granted I'm real pessimistic about the US electorate.

Realted current event https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/gop-recruits-army-poll-watchers-fight-voter-fraud-no-can-n1217391

quote:

After the Democratic National Committee sued the RNC for allegedly sending armed, off-duty police officers to patrol the polls in minority neighborhoods in a 1981 election, a federal "consent decree" put in place a year later sharply curtailed the Republican Party's ability coordinate poll watchers by requiring prior judicial approval.

But that consent decree was allowed to expire at the end of 2017, and a judge in 2018 declined to extend it.

"What we haven't seen in a long time — in decades — is large-scale efforts to try to question and challenge voters' eligibility at the polls," said Wendy Weiser, who directs the Democracy Program at the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law. "The reports and the announcements that the RNC has been making suggest that that is part of the program that they're trying to mount."

At a panel about "defeating the left's voter fraud machine" at the Conservative Political Action Conference in February, Trump campaign senior counsel Justin Clark said the GOP had been hamstrung for decades by the legal ruling.

"For about 40 years, the Republican Party has been fighting this battle with one hand tied behind its back," he said. "In 2020, we have a brand-new opportunity to be able to activate an Election Day operation program that's really robust."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Porfiriato posted:

Feature, not bug

yeah they want protesters to be able to break it down and if they get hurt doing so even better

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

All the bullshit 2020 has fired at us and you're summoning aliens with big gently caress-all lasers? :ramsay:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
A month ago, this would have made me worry, but unless the current zeitgeist changes dramatically in the next 5 months, some armed proud boy shitheels standing outside of minority polling places looking for "voter fraud" feels pretty firmly in "I wish a motherfucker would" territory.

Which is a sideshow compared to the GOP's actual "saying the quiet part out loud" voter suppression efforts anyway.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

stealie72 posted:

A month ago, this would have made me worry, but unless the current zeitgeist changes dramatically in the next 5 months, some armed proud boy shitheels standing outside of minority polling places looking for "voter fraud" feels pretty firmly in "I wish a motherfucker would" territory.

Which is a sideshow compared to the GOP's actual "saying the quiet part out loud" voter suppression efforts anyway.

I firmly believe these motherfuckers will shoot people at at least one polling station because they won't accept someone's ID and there will be a scuffle that leads to shots fired.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

they may have caught that guy who did a drive-by on the Oakland courthouse

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/06/07/alleged-santa-cruz-mountain-gunman-may-be-connected-to-oakland-federal-officer-slaying/

quote:

A Travis Air Force Base airman is under arrest and facing charges for the murder of a Santa Cruz sheriff’s deputy on Saturday. But the FBI announced on Sunday that the agency is investigating whether he also killed a federal protective service officer a week ago in Oakland.

Airman Steven Carillo had been stationed at Travis Air Force base for two years and CBS13 is learning he had no record of discipline at the base.

Carillo was taken into custody Saturday afternoon in Santa Cruz County. 

Two neighbors pinned him down. Clara Rickeball captured the scene with her cell phone camera.

Only hours before that altercation deputies responded to a 911 call for a suspicious white van with guns and explosives. When deputies arrived, the van pulled away and the deputies followed. 

Deputy Damon Gutzwiller and another deputy tracked the van to Carillo’s home in Ben Lomond. When they got out of their vehicles they “were ambushed with gunfire and improvised explosive devices,” authorities said.

Gutzwiller was killed.

Travis AFB confirmed on Sunday that Carillo is an active-duty U.S. Air Force sergeant whose primary duty included security of the base tarmac, in charge of allowing or denying access to the flight line.

Carillo had no record of disciplinary action against him since he joined the Air Force in 2009, base officials said. He had served at the base since 2018.

The FBI is now investigating whether the white van Carillo was allegedly driving Saturday is the same white van connected to the deadly shooting of a federal security officer in Oakland a week ago. 

The van did not appear to have license plates attached at the time of that shooting. 

Carillo is a widower. His wife also served in the Air Force. Her body was discovered two years ago at an Air Force base in South Carolina. An investigation declared her death a suicide.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Some doofus in a Facebook Group I was invited to which is a repository for local protest information was adamant a mall in my area was lit up blue to say "gently caress BLM"...

quote:

Hey everyone! (Mall) has up blue lights all over their main station building...one can only assume that it’s to support blue lives. Very disappointed and will be sending an email to mall management about taking them down.

...and spent time imploring people the mall was being racist via his own confirmation bias...

quote:

so do I, but the colors are charged in the current environment. They can choose something different, that’s my point.

...in spite of being told by multiple people who work in stores there the colors default to blue except for certain times of year, before realizing...

quote:

I heard from the Sr. Director of Brand and the lights default to blue if the system glitches, which happened this weekend. She informed me that the lights had been set to rainbow for pride month and the system has been reset after the glitch was taken care of.

...he'd blown it out of proportion. At least others in the group said "Don't share this until we know for sure".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 8, 2020

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

I firmly believe these motherfuckers will shoot people at at least one polling station because they won't accept someone's ID and there will be a scuffle that leads to shots fired.

This is kind of the direction I was thinking too. I remembered Roger Stone had a plan like this in 2016 and I figured the gop was going to for it, all official like this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/20/citizens-for-donald-trump-exit-poll-roger-stone-rigged-election-claim

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/07/donald-trump-poll-watcher-voter-fraud-roger-stone-steal-the-vote

quote:

Stone told the Guardian that around 1,300 volunteers from the controversial Citizens for Trump grassroots coalition would conduct exit polling in Cleveland, Detroit, Philadelphia, Las Vegas, Milwaukee, Fort Lauderdale, Charlotte, Richmond and Fayetteville – all locations in pivotal swing states.

Media organizations and political campaigns conduct exit polling for all major elections, but David Paleologos – a polling expert and director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center – said effective exit polling was done in bellwether precincts, not in areas likely to be dominated by a particular political party.

“It doesn’t sound like that’s a traditional exit poll,” Paleologos said of Stone’s planned efforts. “It sounds like that’s just gathering data, in heavily Democratic areas for some purpose. It doesn’t sound like exit polling.”

The Republican nominee said during Wednesday’s debate he would keep America “in suspense” over whether he would accept the outcome of the vote on 8 November, and on Thursday he said he would accept only “if I win” or if it is a “clear” result. He has frequently told his supporters that the election is being “rigged” against him, and since August his campaign has been recruiting election observers in anticipation of what he claims could be widespread voter fraud.

Admittedly it's just one layer of poo poo that's going to get laid down in all this. Quiet part loud etc.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LingcodKilla posted:

Will it though? Apparently the stock market is happy with him.

Not making GBS threads on you, but the stock market was happy with Obama and a presumed Clinton presidency and that didn't pan out well in 2016 for either of them.

I feel like the lesson people were correctly shouting about post-2016 that just because the stock market is doing good doesn't mean everyone else is doing good, is still applicable here. I have no idea what the gently caress is gonna happen in November but the stock market doing good means fuckall to a lot of people right now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its almost like running on Obama's economic legacy was a disaster and we shouldn't repeat that

oh.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:laffo:

https://www.cbr.com/us-military-lose-space-force-trademark-netflix/

quote:

The United States Space Force was only announced two years ago and has yet to engage in any military operations, but the latest branch of the U.S. armed forces already stands to lose its first battle -- to Netflix's Space Force.

The streaming service premiered its new sci-fi/comedy series Space Force on May 29. The show's name has no relation to the newest organization of the U.S. military, which unveiled its official flag only two weeks earlier. Because of the common moniker, though, the United States Space Force's first battle might be a trademark war -- fought in court, rather than in space.

Attorneys for the U.S. military have done little to secure the Space Force name as a registered trademark. Netflix, however, has been far more aggressive, and has already locked down the rights to the name in several countries.

Despite sharing a name, both entities have plenty of room to maneuver without evoking much confusion. The streaming comedy, with its political jabs at the current presidential administration, is unlikely to make its viewers think they're watching a series about an actual branch of the U.S. military. The fledgling U.S. Space Force, meanwhile, has yet to even get off the ground -- both literally and figuratively.

While Netflix's effort was the first to come to fruition, the U.S. Space Force was first announced by President Donald Trump in March 2018. The military branch was officially established as a formal organization last December. Netflix, meanwhile, greenlit the 10-episode series in January 2019.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
If anyone wants to donate to an aid station in Seattle, here's donation info

eta: this is for the Aid Station at Rancho Bravo, which the cops have been routinely loving up when they push the lines at night

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 8, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Boogy boy hid his tracks well. Looks like a true lone wolf.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Erghh posted:

This is kind of the direction I was thinking too. I remembered Roger Stone had a plan like this in 2016 and I figured the gop was going to for it, all official like this time.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/20/citizens-for-donald-trump-exit-poll-roger-stone-rigged-election-claim

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/07/donald-trump-poll-watcher-voter-fraud-roger-stone-steal-the-vote

Admittedly it's just one layer of poo poo that's going to get laid down in all this. Quiet part loud etc.

Win, lose, or draw, Trump's response is going to be a complete shitshow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1270050839428767745?s=21

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh no a “fine” person had an oopsy daisy.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
"attempted malicious wounding" gently caress you, he drove his car into a crowd of protesters that's attempted murder

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AGarlandPhoto/status/1270049868149518337?s=19

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

"attempted malicious wounding" gently caress you, he drove his car into a crowd of protesters that's attempted murder

That's not how Virginia law is written. Attempted malicious wounding, depending upon circumstances and if considered aggravated, could actually have a higher associated penalty than what a lot of people think of as 'traditional' attempted murder.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The last true journalist is out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZPeD2miyF8

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Untagged posted:

That's not how Virginia law is written. Attempted malicious wounding, depending upon circumstances and if considered aggravated, could actually have a higher associated penalty than what a lot of people think of as 'traditional' attempted murder.

Doesn’t matter anyway, he’ll probably get it plead down to failure to yield or something similar.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Midjack posted:

Doesn’t matter anyway, he’ll probably get it plead down to failure to yield or something similar.

I highly doubt it considering the shithead who did this in Charlottesville is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oakland pd lit up a guy and his pregnant girlfriend last night, but they were in a stolen car, so i look forward to hearing ghouls either try to turn the crime on them directly, or blame protestors for somehow forcing the police to make a tragic mistake.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/PateraQuetzaI/status/1270028098809913344?s=19

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

god bless this man

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

I highly doubt it considering the shithead who did this in Charlottesville is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

If dude was a cop he wouldn't have even been arrested.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Probably not a very hot take, but I'm beginning to think that most support for the police and opposition to defunding the police is based entirely on people thinking that the police act like they do on TV and movies.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Fister Roboto posted:

Probably not a very hot take, but I'm beginning to think that most support for the police and opposition to defunding the police is based entirely on people thinking that the police act like they do on TV and movies.

John Oliver made this exact point in a recent segment covering police. It's on YouTube and very good

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Also “defund/abolish the police” is confusing to people who aren’t engaged with the movement.

Most people using the phrase don’t literally mean we’ll just have zero law enforcement and see what happens. But it’s not a great term if you have to follow it up with an explainer on how it would work.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

mlmp08 posted:

Also “defund/abolish the police” is confusing to people who aren’t engaged with the movement.

Most people using the phrase don’t literally mean we’ll just have zero law enforcement and see what happens. But it’s not a great term if you have to follow it up with an explainer on how it would work.

"Demilitarize the police" I feel like would get the point across without making people think you're advocating for zero law enforcement period.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Pretty much this yeah, a lot of people have the "TV cops do good things, so it's only a couple bad cops" but the reality is that it runs deeper than that, especially in the upper leadership of many PDs, and police culture in the US in general. People who may be good cops are highly discouraged from restraining bad cops, and police unions do their damnedest to prevent bad cops from seeing repercussions from bad actions, which further discourages cops who may try to correct problems in their departments.

Basically the entire structure is rotten because of over 40 years of pushing the police into a mentality of Us vs Them and that they're at war with the American populace. Watch the John Oliver piece, its good.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 8, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

My initial reaction was :wtc: because, as you and others said, it sounded like "If we get rid of the police, then there can't be any police VIOLENCE anymore and so everyone will live in peace and harmony forever!!!!!" and my reaction was "Uhh...look, certainly things need unfucked, but boy, that's optimistic.".

Demilitarize/Unfuck the Police makes more sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah I had an old coworker quacking about anarchy and I dropped the article about that NJ town that started from scratch and he at least said “ huh that’s interesting” so I hope he got something out of it but who knows

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I have a friend who is convinced that the only thing between her and her house getting overrun by meth heads is the police.

I feel like it’s usually insensitive to suggest that someone move, but I really didn’t know what else to say.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

Pretty much this yeah, a lot of people have the "TV cops do good things, so it's only a couple bad cops" but the reality is that it runs deeper than that, especially in the upper leadership of many PDs, and police culture in the US in general. People who may be good cops are highly discouraged from restraining bad cops, and police unions do their damnedest to prevent bad cops from seeing repercussions from bad actions, which further discourages cops who may try to correct problems in their departments.

Internal Affairs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Defund/abolish the police" is the starting position for negotiation. Starting from "reform the police/make a bunch of laws that won't do poo poo" means you'll get nothing because the Republicans treat any position to the left of them as a vile communist plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah Biden doesn't want to refund the police because he's a rich white groper that fought for segregation and increased policing.

They all only want one thing, and it's you to get back to work.