Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Desert Bus posted:

If I share my login with someone so they can try the game out properly before they decide to sink a bunch of cash into packs will Blizzard care or will they just assume i'm playing somewhere else? I know it seems like a stupid question and I am about 99% sure it's safe but I don't want to risk a ban. I've spent way too much time and money getting a near complete standard collection and a roughly 2/3rds complete wild collection. Obviously we'd be communicating so we don't log in at the same time.

Should be entirely fine. I've been playing on and off from like three computers and two phones from God knows where all the time, including at least three countries, even interrupting existing sessions constantly. Sometimes I swap from a computer to a phone when I gotta get going mid game and just reconnect via cellular without any problem. Now, obviously those devices are all me and I don't actually share the account, but I couldn't imagine the Blizzard servers could see the difference in any way, let alone automatically.

Even if they would get behind account sharing, I'd highly assume they'd warn or notify you or maybe a temp ban or something at worse, not throwing you under the bus permanently for showing a friend the game. Never heard of this happening either, unless it was actual account selling via eBay and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Goons Are Great posted:

Should be entirely fine. I've been playing on and off from like three computers and two phones from God knows where all the time, including at least three countries, even interrupting existing sessions constantly. Sometimes I swap from a computer to a phone when I gotta get going mid game and just reconnect via cellular without any problem. Now, obviously those devices are all me and I don't actually share the account, but I couldn't imagine the Blizzard servers could see the difference in any way, let alone automatically.

Even if they would get behind account sharing, I'd highly assume they'd warn or notify you or maybe a temp ban or something at worse, not throwing you under the bus permanently for showing a friend the game. Never heard of this happening either, unless it was actual account selling via eBay and whatnot.

That was pretty much my thoughts on it, but I didn't want to risk hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars. I think my new weed is making me paranoid lol.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Desert Bus posted:

If I share my login with someone so they can try the game out properly before they decide to sink a bunch of cash into packs will Blizzard care or will they just assume i'm playing somewhere else? I know it seems like a stupid question and I am about 99% sure it's safe but I don't want to risk a ban. I've spent way too much time and money getting a near complete standard collection and a roughly 2/3rds complete wild collection. Obviously we'd be communicating so we don't log in at the same time.

Your friend can borrow your decks. Much safer in my opinion than risking your account as account sharing is against the Terms of Service.

https://twitter.com/playhearthstone/status/996072975290920960?lang=en

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Desert Bus posted:

That was pretty much my thoughts on it, but I didn't want to risk hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars. I think my new weed is making me paranoid lol.

Yea, I'd say just have them make a new account, go through the tutorials, then use spectating and borrow decks.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oh right that's a thing, yeah that might actually even be better because this way they already can get free packs, some quests etc going while playing the full range of decks.
Also even though Whizzbang is in wild (assuming you don't want to introduce them to that already), Zayle is still in standard and offers some fun decks to learn. Of course that's only an option when they're already sold on playing a bit as crafting is somewhat expensive and buying it via real money is at like, I think 20 bucks?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
For those jumping into wild arms needing to backfill stuff, Naxxramas adventure is on offer right now, which provides some really quite important cards.

The adventure is stupidly easy with modern cards and decks now.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Granted, there’s also only a couple of cards that still see any regular play in Wild (Loatheb and Duplicate) outside of gimmicky decks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah only a few cards in Naxx are actually good, so it might be better to craft them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLz8jwdlvaY

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Loathe and duplicate for sure, but there's also Deathlord, Mad Scientist, and Void Aller that are pretty important.

Kel'Thuzad himself is quite good for most res decks or other stuff that can cheat minions out.

And there's some legendaries that are safe to dust too... Maexnna especially is not worth keeping, ever.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Desert Bus posted:

Look, you’re amongst friends, you can just say you’re buying rank, nobody is going to hold it against you.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Anybody want to let me spectate a win for 80 gold? Any mode counts (even against the innkeeper). Carcass#11432

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Shockeh posted:

Look, you’re amongst friends, you can just say you’re buying rank, nobody is going to hold it against you.

I'm actually not, I'm really not that great at the game. What I am doing is buying my way to having as complete a set as possible. Getting ALL the cards will feel like a much greater achievement to me than any rank I gain.

And I forgot about sharing decks, thanks!

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Just went to probably about turn 20 or so vs pure Paladin with my Big Druid deck. I wish I could get it on hsreplay, some of the best playing and luckiest draws I’ve ever had. Both got down to 1 health, then stabilized at 9 before I was able to overwhelm his taunts.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Shockeh posted:

First thought: People do that?
Second thought: Of course they do that.

Not gonna lie, that's pretty much nerd rock bottom.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'll pay 200 bucks anytime to finally get this one time reward of reaching legend before crashing my MMR into the oblivion where it belongs so that I can act like I know jackshit about this game while falling through the ranks over the next few months and ending up on bronze 5 for the rest of my life

I'm a professional ok

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsbCO5qC5A

pirates coming to BGs as well!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Hearthstone trailer team are the best team in blizzard.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

VENGEANCE

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Felfire Ragnaros, hell yeah.

Also tempted to buy that Starseeker bundle, if only to not have to do deal with Illidan.

Know the trailer team has consistently knocked it out of the park, but dang this one is a real banger :allears:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 8, 2020

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Felfire Ragnaros, hell yeah.

Also tempted to buy that Starseeker bundle, if only to not have to do deal with Illidan.

another well employed strategy by team 5 to sell packs, make the most unlikable default hero

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Holy poo poo I love this

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Thanks to Vulperal Scoundrel, I discovered that all 6 tokens generated by Command the Illidari still equivalently yell this :thumbsup:

Eegah!
Jul 26, 2010

Oh my god Holy Mackerel is out of bgs

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

yeah and good riddance

It’s so good that sometimes it’s best to take it when it’s offered even if you don't intend to use it just to keep it out of other players’ lineups.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Holy Mackerel had some absurd win rate for people who had it.

I might start playing BG again with these new pirates.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

The rotating pool of tribes adds immediate complexity to the game, notably because all the tribes aren't in equal numbers across tiers. So each of the 6 versions of the game have different %'s, which can be brute force calculated and memorized, but may give way more of an advantage to players using deck trackers.

Double-edged sword here, let's see how it goes~

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I love this. Seriously looks like a great patch.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

The rotating pool of tribes adds immediate complexity to the game, notably because all the tribes aren't in equal numbers across tiers. So each of the 6 versions of the game have different %'s, which can be brute force calculated and memorized, but may give way more of an advantage to players using deck trackers.

Double-edged sword here, let's see how it goes~

I am interested to see how certain comps will become better/worse when others are missing. For example, maybe big demons will be really good if murlocs are gone.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 8, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AnacondaHL posted:

As someone who plays solely on iOS, this would likely make me stop playing BG altogether.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I seriously doubt a majority of the lobby is using 3rd party anything below 8k.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Chernabog posted:

I am interested to see how certain comps will become better/worse when others are missing. For example, maybe big demons will be really good if murlocs are gone.

Since there are "only" 6 modes now (contrast to, say, if there were 7 tribes and 5 are chosen, making 21 different game modes), I predict people will come up with quick tips like this for all 6 variations, but again I worry if the complexity will make deck tracker effectively required.

Either way I can't wait to explore -Mech mode.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As a 10 mana spell, I find Puzzlebox distasteful as an effect - ‘Hey, I’m losing, so let’s flip the loving table and play Pachinko instead’. As something that can come out of various discounts or random effects, it can get into the loving sea.

Who at Blizzard likes this poo poo enough they keep making it? What even went through their minds as ‘Yeah it’s not OP, but shall we make the game just... random?’

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The new powers are so cool!

I'll admit - I kind of liked the game better pre-dragons and would have preferred an attempt to have it balanced around 4/6 tribes instead of 5/6. But I haven't thought about it hard enough, my guess is minion distribution would become too volatile.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

DNK posted:

I seriously doubt a majority of the lobby is using 3rd party anything below 8k.

Perhaps, but I don’t play BG that much now anyway since I’m terrible at it and can’t meaningfully push past 6K. The “feelbad” that would come with such a development would just be the thing that pushes me off the ledge I’m already teetering over.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Shockeh posted:

As a 10 mana spell, I find Puzzlebox distasteful as an effect - ‘Hey, I’m losing, so let’s flip the loving table and play Pachinko instead’. As something that can come out of various discounts or random effects, it can get into the loving sea.

Who at Blizzard likes this poo poo enough they keep making it? What even went through their minds as ‘Yeah it’s not OP, but shall we make the game just... random?’

To play devils advocate I really like it and it makes the video game fun

Edit: to be fair my main point would actually be that ship has long sailed from hearthstone so embrace it

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

teacup posted:

To play devils advocate I really like it and it makes the video game fun

Edit: to be fair my main point would actually be that ship has long sailed from hearthstone so embrace it

This is my general flow chart post Dragons:

Are you drunk? Y/N

If yes, play Hearthstone, it's funny and wacky

If no, play Runeterra, it will be hard to play when you're drunk later

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Shockeh posted:

Adding randomness is one of the key ways to make game experiences different, and thus memorable, and HS does overdo it but it makes sense for Blizzard because first and foremost their games are designed to be prolific, and the RNG in HS lets bad players beat good ones every now and then, and so it keeps them engaged (in Overwatch it's the existence of ults, and I would argue their drive to make the game prolific is the sole reason they've doggedly stuck to the MMO trinity of tank/damage/healer roles, but that's another topic).

As another poster mentioned, the RNG ship has sailed long ago in HS and it used to annoy me too, but then I stopped worrying and learned to love the Box. And I really miss Tess Greymane. Hopefully when they do another incarnation of her they'll retain some of that original design.

fake edit : I think I remember reading here a long time ago that statistically (based on numbers crunched from the original Yogg) playing ten random spells gives you a favorable outcome about 66% of the time. I wonder if I remember that number right, and whether it's still true with the current card pool.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
How are Overwatch ults RNG?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Disargeria posted:

How are Overwatch ults RNG?

It's the this part, not RNG:

quote:

bad players beat good ones every now and then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Good points by both teacup and Kalko, and I acknowledge some element of randomness needs to be in to avoid games being stale.

Just when something like Reno decides to do it, you're left a bit 'Why even have the players?'