Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Sisko falls in love with a woman who is just a mental projection by someone else’s wife and has literally no personality or memories
Janeway falls in love with a holodeck character
Kirk falls in love with a shapeshifter, a robot, probably loads of other things

Does Picard have a “falls in love with something clearly not real” moment? Can’t remember

Does his wife from The Inner Light count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Does Picard have a “falls in love with something clearly not real” moment? Can’t remember
We've talked about Captain's Holiday and I'm still not convinced Risa isn't just an elaborate holodeck facility, I was genuinely expecting that to be an act 3 twist.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The perpetual space-bachelor thawed out the Bene Gesserit peace concubine and everyone just accepted it was an accident.

No one batted an eye that the Federation is complicit in the (funny forehead)human trafficking of a bangmaid to a government official for political favors.

I mean they let Worf kill people constantly because he kills the right people but jeez.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Here's how much life in ordinary life sucks vrs life on the Enterprise (TNG):

1. No haircuts from alien
2. Nobody cares about my emotions
3. No notice that there will be death
4. Only death
5. Only aliens get promoted for shooting me in the loving face, not human police officer

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the ideals of the federation

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Applewhite posted:

Wasn’t there a woman who imprinted on him and became his perfect mate but she was in an arranged marriage?
Picard encourages her to be herself rather than forming herself into what he wants, so it doesn’t have the same mega creepy vibe as the other romances. Kinda counts though

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Does his wife from The Inner Light count?
Thought about this but she was real, right? Just not in his lifetime.

Ghostlight posted:

the ideals of the federation
posted from Ferenginar

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Thought about this but she was real, right? Just not in his lifetime.

Technically Eline (TIL wife) is the one. She was real but for JLP she was akin to holographic.
Like, Leah Brams is real too, but Geordi falls in love with one that doesn't exist.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Applewhite posted:

Wasn’t there a woman who imprinted on him and became his perfect mate but she was in an arranged marriage?

Does she count?
In which the living embodiment of telling men what they want to hear ends the episode by telling a man exactly what he wants to hear, and we're supposed to take that at face value.

My favourite part of that episode is that the guy she's marrying is all "I'm not really into the creepy sex empath thing I'm just here for the politics" which is kind of exactly who you'd want her to end up with anyway?

No wait my favourite part is where because she can't be around men so they lock her up all alone in her quarters instead of e.g. sending pointedly heterosexual Dr Crusher by with a bottle of wine and some true crime box sets.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Splicer posted:

In which the living embodiment of telling men what they want to hear ends the episode by telling a man exactly what he wants to hear, and we're supposed to take that at face value.

My favourite part of that episode is that the guy she's marrying is all "I'm not really into the creepy sex empath thing I'm just here for the politics" which is kind of exactly who you'd want her to end up with anyway?

No wait my favourite part is where because she can't be around men so they lock her up all alone in her quarters instead of e.g. sending pointedly heterosexual Dr Crusher by with a bottle of wine and some true crime box sets.

When Crusher's trill boyfriend came back as a woman and she declined to further pursue that relationship, she said it wasn't because she was a woman

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wasn’t there an episode where Picard and Riker were fighting over the same holo-lady or was that just one of my sexy dreams.

venomsnek
Apr 13, 2018

THE KING UTTERED SOMETHING

Applewhite posted:

Does she count?

Alien memory beam satellite simulation wife that gave him a flute.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When Crusher's trill boyfriend came back as a woman and she declined to further pursue that relationship, she said it wasn't because she was a woman

That pre-DS9 Trill symbiote was gross.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

Wasn’t there an episode where Picard and Riker were fighting over the same holo-lady or was that just one of my sexy dreams.
11001001, kind of? She's programmed to keep their attention so as soon as Picard walks in on them both she goes "well look at you" and Riker's like "hey"

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

There's also "Anna" from Liaisons which is like the reverse of Geordi meeting the real Leah Brahms. wHy WoNt YoU LoVe Me!?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In this episode of Voyager, "Gravity", some alien lady falls in love with Tuvok and Tuvok's like "I'm married", and both her and Tom act like he's a giant rear end in a top hat for being faithful to his wife.

Why can't I stop watching this stupid, stupid show

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Riker fell so much in love with a hologram he interacted with for 15 minutes it confused that weird lonely alien kid's mind reading fantasy generating machine.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Danaru posted:

In this episode of Voyager, "Gravity", some alien lady falls in love with Tuvok and Tuvok's like "I'm married", and both her and Tom act like he's a giant rear end in a top hat for being faithful to his wife.

Why can't I stop watching this stupid, stupid show
Hey, Tom wouldn’t narc on Tuvok if he got some on the side

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Lol faithfulness to the one you love and a respect for the sanctity of marriage, what a loving loser!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Gutcruncher posted:

Lol faithfulness to the one you love and a respect for the sanctity of marriage, what a loving loser!

Mr Roddenberry please go home we'll edit this into something resembling coherence without you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Potential BFF posted:

The perpetual space-bachelor thawed out the Bene Gesserit peace concubine and everyone just accepted it was an accident.

No one batted an eye that the Federation is complicit in the (funny forehead)human trafficking of a bangmaid to a government official for political favors.

I mean they let Worf kill people constantly because he kills the right people but jeez.

the Ferengi thawed her, not Picard

and

Crusher goes on a HUGE tear about the bangmaid trafficking during breakfast with Picard

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I don't remember any of these episodes. Am I watching Star Trek correctly?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Foreskin Problems posted:

I don't remember any of these episodes. Am I watching Star Trek correctly?

You're the only one here watching Star Trek correctly :negative: I could have learned a language

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wonder how much of that episode had to be rewritten because Stewart was stamping his feet that he wanted to be Indiana Jones for a change.
Oh man I thought this was a funny quip but I looked it up and it's quite literally how the episode took shape. I bet he must have told them it couldn't be a holodeck deal but had to be a real thing that happens to Picard.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Patrick Stewart: famed Shakesperean actor and vain redneck dipshit

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does Odo falling in love and losing his cherry a brainwashed secret agent count? ( Real person, fake personality)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Riker fell so much in love with a hologram he interacted with for 15 minutes it confused that weird lonely alien kid's mind reading fantasy generating machine.

I love you Riker!
No you CAN'T don't even try!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love you Riker!
No you CAN'T don't even try!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She's absolutely hype for her slug bud to get a new body until the body walks in without a dong and her face falls four floors. That episode is why I'm referring to her as "pointedly heterosexual". Whatever back pedalling occurs in the final scene it's pretty clear from the previous bit what her actual problem is.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Splicer posted:

She's absolutely hype for her slug bud to get a new body until the body walks in without a dong and her face falls four floors. That episode is why I'm referring to her as "pointedly heterosexual". Whatever back pedalling occurs in the final scene it's pretty clear from the previous bit what her actual problem is.
Yeah her body language told the whole story there

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If that had happened to riker he'd have been like "nice dick!"

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Thats right, Riker did gently caress the androgynous alien who probably had both male and female genitalia

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Reposting for Riker: https://youtu.be/ocPQKjuCqM0

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Thats right, Riker did gently caress the androgynous alien who probably had both male and female genitalia

I thought they had neither and were blank like ken dolls?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Applewhite posted:

I thought they had neither and were blank like ken dolls?

Was this covered in any dialogue?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Was this covered in any dialogue?

Well by calling them androgyne instead of hermaphrodites I guess I just assumed.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Some Star Trek fanart from my seven year old daughter just now. The Enterprise in the mouth of the Doomsday Machine.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pick posted:

I imagine this, but with Riker completely unironically

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I know that Jonathan Frakes was annoyed that his love interest in "The Outcast" was played by a woman. While the character would have been the same either way, he felt the message would have been stronger if the actor was a man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Epicurius posted:

I know that Jonathan Frakes was annoyed that his love interest in "The Outcast" was played by a woman. While the character would have been the same either way, he felt the message would have been stronger if the actor was a man.
He was right, although Rick Berman was correct that the network would have thrown a shitfit if they had two male actors kissing in what, ‘93?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Nah, he would have said something psychotic like "That dick is more beautiful than an Antaran sunrise," and it would've worked because people in this universe flirt at a sixth grade level.