Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Oh my God you're scaring me, is it going to be 'it's okay since actually he's a 5,000-year old Duncan in the body of a teenaged Duncan'

Don't say anything, I want to find out for myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah I'm 40% through but nothing sexy happened so far.

Lucilla is just eying Duncan so far and that's the bad kind of horny, isn't he underage? Don't do this to me, Herbo.

edit: spoilers

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

phasmid posted:

Get down here and gently caress me, horny moon.

What do you call the mouse shadow in the second moon

We call that one Side Chick

Could I be known as Paul Side Chick

You are Paul Side Chick

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

kiimo posted:

What do you call the mouse shadow in the second moon

We call that one Side Chick

Could I be known as Paul Side Chick

You are Paul Side Chick

Lol

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The crysknife I wear around my neck contains an essence that gets recharged when I "ride a worm" with a bro who also has a crysknife. It gives me confidence in the erg, sietch, spice orgy, etc. Nobody knows it's a special crysknife but me and my bros. I have seen it glow white while riding with a bud thats how I know this is real. You can come over for as long as you want but I need a solido of you preferably wearing a crysknife before I waste my time.

You are a genius and I love you. I want to have your babies.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

phasmid posted:

Get down here and gently caress me, horny moon.

Read this in Matt Berry's voice

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Armacham posted:

Suberb!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Now I can’t help but wish Matt was Stilgar

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Armacham posted:

Now I can't unhear it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

TK-42-1 posted:

Now I can’t help but wish Matt was Stilgar

I can't actually think of any Dune characters that wouldn't work played by Matt Berry. Well, maybe not Chani or Fenring.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

I can't actually think of any Dune characters that wouldn't work played by Matt Berry. Well, maybe not Chani or Fenring.

Imagining Matt Berry yelling "Father! The sleeper has awakened!", or muttering "My own name is a killing word" has really made my morning.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Uncle Enzo posted:

the world has enough abominations thank you

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Uncle Enzo posted:

Sorry but this is not allowed under my breeding program

It's a complete coincidence that my program involves me having sex with dozens of supermodels in their early twenties, how dare you question it

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Phlegmish posted:

Sorry but this is not allowed under my breeding program

It's a complete coincidence that my program involves me having sex with dozens of supermodels in their early twenties, how dare you question it

F... Frank? I thought you were dead!

Pham Nuwen posted:

Imagining Matt Berry yelling "Father! The sleeper has awakened!"

YES

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Imagining Matt Berry yelling "Father! The sleeper has awakened!", or muttering "My own name is a killing word" has really made my morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP7LHHR91lE&t=28s

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Tree Bucket posted:

The money I would spend on a Blu Ray audio track for any Dune adaptation dubbed by Matt Berry...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I may have been thinking the same thing...

Cheesus posted:

The money I would spend on a Blu Ray audio track for any Dune adaptation dubbed by Matt Berry...

I think only Matt can give Irualan's chapter introductions the gravitas they deserve.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Matt Berry giving Dune (1984) the "Wizard People, Dear Reader" treatment would be life-changing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
using the Dr. Lucien Sanchez voice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
List of Dune characters most in need of being voiced by Matt Berry-

uber_stoat posted:

using the Dr. Lucien Sanchez voice.

-in order of preference.

Gold tier:
Princess Irulan (a beginning is a delicate time)
Stilgar (wormsign... like god himself has never seen!)
Yueh
Mohiam
The Emperor
Any Sandworm
Paul (Fa-therrr!)

Silver tier:
any Fremen
any Harkonnen
any Atreides

Bronze tier
Fenring
Jessica

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I only know of Matt Berry so far from watching the fantastic What We do in the Shadows TV show and he's amazing.

BAT!

Need to check out his other stuff.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

https://youtu.be/bNc0ErvirBE

https://youtu.be/BaxXS9Am_IQ

https://youtu.be/HiSxUyd5DnE

Grevling fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 16, 2020

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I always loved how utterly mundane of a name Jessica is, I often laugh when I see it in these otherwise esoteric sentences. Is this part of Herbert's subversion of SF tropes? I am new to the Duneverse.

We must follow the Bronze Path of the Lady Tiphany and the Sir Jimbo

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jessica sounds pretty regal to me? It's not like her name is Pam

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, the protagonist is literally Paul. The line between 'normal' names and 'fantasy' or 'old-timey' names can get very fuzzy. Especially given all the likely deliberate religious allusions.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

May I present our esteemed guests, Reverend Mother Helena Gaius Mohaim and Jessica Nelson

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Wellington Yueh

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Phlegmish posted:

I always loved how utterly mundane of a name Jessica is, I often laugh when I see it in these otherwise esoteric sentences. Is this part of Herbert's subversion of SF tropes? I am new to the Duneverse.

We must follow the Bronze Path of the Lady Tiphany and the Sir Jimbo

One of the things I love about the One True Herbert is his deliberate mixing of archaic, modern, and far-future themes and ideas. It makes the future world feel a lot more real than sci-fi that feels like it has to force everything into a pseudofuturistic framing (looking at you @Duneauthor).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

List of Dune characters most in need of being voiced by Matt Berry-

"you're a woman."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDG0lwwsL6k

*paul places his hand in the box of pain*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC9huoY2dMg

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Duncan Idaho

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please call him by his nickname Dunkin Deeznuts

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's permanently weird to be Dutch and hear the name Piter de Vries as that of a guy to be feared.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

davidspackage posted:

It's permanently weird to be Dutch and hear the name Piter de Vries as that of a guy to be feared.

Just sounds like a dairy owner to my farmer's ears...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

davidspackage posted:

I am also a native Dutch speaker and it's always been a bit strange to see all of the pseudo-Dutch names and terms in the Witcher universe. I'm not used to anyone bothering with that in fantasy properties. I suppose that to a Pole, Dutch is somewhat exotic, and as a language it's minor enough that it's not going to trigger that feeling of familiarity for most readers.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's pretty menacing for me. Especially in the Lynch movie.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I am also a native Dutch speaker and it's always been a bit strange to see all of the pseudo-Dutch names and terms in the Witcher universe. I'm not used to anyone bothering with that in fantasy properties. I suppose that to a Pole, Dutch is somewhat exotic, and as a language it's minor enough that it's not going to trigger that feeling of familiarity for most readers.

Which names and terms are pseudo-Dutch?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's been a while since I played the Witcher games, but Dijkstra is an extremely Dutch (or Frisian if you want to be pedantic) name which is actually quite common in real life. There's also Brugge, which I assume is derived from, uh, Brugge. Come to think of it, they're not so much pseudo-Dutch as straight up Dutch. These are just off the top of my head.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

davidspackage posted:

I just kinda figured Herbert didn't like the guy and so made him a villain to amuse himself. I just read on Wikipedia that (Peter) de Vries was in OSS during the war. Among other things, Herbert was critical of secret police, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Reading messiah for the first time. I like how so far it's like the revival season of arrested development, where they are recounting everything that happened between the end of dune and the beginning of messiah. Really sucks that there's no glossary and how every Herbert term has to be defined in the text, sometimes in really clunky asides