Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

GORDON posted:

Picturing a cold chicken dropping off a high branch onto the back of the deer's neck. A wing around its neck to constrict the windpipe, other wing on the back of his head applying pressure. "Shhhh," the chicken soothes as the light fades from the struggling deer's eyes. "Shhhhhh."

I was thinking more like a tauntaun situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

GORDON posted:

Picturing a cold chicken dropping off a high branch onto the back of the deer's neck. A wing around its neck to constrict the windpipe, other wing on the back of his head applying pressure. "Shhhh," the chicken soothes as the light fades from the struggling deer's eyes. "Shhhhhh."

Aaaaaaaaaa, what a movie, yes please. Chook Norris remakes The Deer Hunter: This Time It's Literal.

QueenAnnesDead
Apr 17, 2016

CherryCola posted:

I was thinking more like a tauntaun situation

Well yes naturally, but first you kill the deer, THEN you give it a pectus very much excavatum. With your beak and scrabbly, scaly, spurred feet.

EDIT: It occurs to me that having this discussion under Literally A Bird's beady, inhuman eye is both appropriate and dangerous

QueenAnnesDead fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 9, 2020

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’ve met a guy who allegedly had a whole row of swastikas tattooed on his chin, but he manages to pretend otherwise by just never shaving his beard. He was never even a nazi, he was just a young dumb punk who thought he could reclaim it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

People can change you know.

I imagine if he hates the tattoos himself, he'd have no problem being asked to cover them up.
I feel like "guy who regrets his swastika tattoo" and "guy who doesn't already cover up his swastika tattoo of his own volition wherever he goes not only including but in fact especially at a wedding" are basically completely irreconcilable concepts.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QueenAnnesDead posted:

Did ...did Nugget kill a deer and eviscerate it to make a snow shelter?? How delightfully horrific.

As a lifelong vegetarian, raised in a community entirely unconnected with fowls alive or dead, I'm discovering I know NOTHING of their dinosaur lives.

chickens are loving metal. They still remember their ancestry, and they will murder and bathe in blood.

Chickens are sometimes better mousers than cats.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CherryCola posted:

I feel like the boyfriend in this scenario is the most problematic considering he is less bothered by the tattoos than the ex-nazi.

edit: There was actually an article about this guy from central Florida covered in white pride tattoos who joined the BLM march and talked about how much he regretted his tattoos. In some of these areas people are literally born into and raised with that kind of hate, but people absolutely can change. There's a dude in my area who is actually offering to cover hate-based tattoos for free.

Was that the guy who wanted his confederate flag tattoo removed but not the swastika because he's no longer a white supremacist but still supports the nazis?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Whenever I hear about what chickens eat I remember this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwtuoHyLEiw

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Tashilicious posted:

chickens are loving metal. They still remember their ancestry, and they will murder and bathe in blood.

Chickens are sometimes better mousers than cats.

Tampa has a whole community of feral chickens just sleep in trees and they are my favorite beings in the universe

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like "guy who regrets his swastika tattoo" and "guy who doesn't already cover up his swastika tattoo of his own volition wherever he goes not only including but in fact especially at a wedding" are basically completely irreconcilable concepts.

I think she wants him to put foundation on his face, to cover up the tear tattoo (and some others?), at least that's how I read it. And yes, people can change, hate is a difficult pit to crawl out from.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for reporting my own daughter to the school for bullying my stepson?

quote:

This has happened a year ago and we are still dealing with the fallout today.

Although my daughter was initially getting along with my wife and her son, her attitude completely flipped after we got married.

The disrespect and fighting got extremely bad and eventually, my daughter refused to set foot in our house and only let me see her at my parents house and out for dinner.

I couldn't exactly force her to come to my home so we kept up the awkward arrangement.

Then, as both my daughter and stepson entered their final semester of highschool, we found out my daughter was encouraging other kids to bully my stepson.

We tried everything to stop her horrible behavior ourselves.

But I couldn't discipline her in any way myself and my ex was empowering her behind the scenes by excusing away her actions.

Reaching the absolute limit, I reported her to the school after giving her several chances. I did this despite my stepson telling me not to.

The bullying did stop. But we didn't know that the school had a zero tolerance policy and she got removed from her sports team and suspended. This caused an offer from her dream college to be rescinded which included a scholarship.

I really did not anticipate that to happen but it was too late.

There was an unbelievable amount of anger and hatred directed towards my household from my ex, my daughter and my parents.

It got so bad (with legal threats and potentially life ruining lies) that I agreed in writing to pay for all of her college costs and continue child support until she turns 21.

My daughter will be transferring to the original school she wanted to go to in fall but without a scholarship, so the fees I need to cover will increase.

I will have to take a second job to pay all this.

My father took back an apprenticeship that was offered to my stepson at my daughter's insistence. He ended up going into his backup program.

My daughter was always a sweet child but it's clear my ex has manipulated her after I re-married. Now, I only know about her life through my parents.

My marriage is extremely strained and my stepson doesn't like me anymore.

Everyday I wonder if I did the right thing. Maybe if I'd just waited the extra four months it wouldn't have turned out this way. Was it even worth it?

AITA?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

teen witch posted:

Bullies and bully enablers loving hate consequences huh?

gently caress 'em. they're ruined anyway.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah it's too bad that Dad only grew a spine for like 2.3 seconds ever. "I did something for which there was a no tolerance policy, and they didn't tolerate it!" is loving empty as gently caress. Does make me wonder what they have on dad though that he is forced to capitulate so hard. I mean it must be pretty loving bad.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

If I ever get a rooster I’m naming it this.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

nice job, now you owe royalties if you ever follow through with that plan

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for telling my siblings that they'll stop loving their kids someday?

quote:

I'm 36 and my sister and brother are 34 and 37, respectively. They each have 3 children. I have none and never want any. I like being able to travel, spend my money on myself, my pets and charities I support and I don't want to ruin my sex life.However my siblings and my parents act like I'm the most selfish person who ever lived, because I "don't want to experience the magic of motherhood". They call me selfish even though I've helped out both of my siblings financially on several occasions and never asked for the money back.

My family keeps saying ridiculous things like "your boyfriend will leave you if you don't give him a child". When I tell them he's childfree too and if he wanted kids I'd let him go, they usually respond with "you'll end up alone when you're old". This, I think, is particularly scummy. Children should not be seen as a retirement plan. If you have a kid just so you can use him/her in your old age, then you're the selfish one. When I tell them this, they just say that I don't know what I'm talking about.

It had gotten to the point that I stopped visiting my parents and didn't talk to my siblings for nearly a year. But the other day, my sister called and told me she was inviting family over for her daughter's 3rd birthday (lockdown rules have been relaxed in our area) and she would love it if I would be there. I told her I wasn't sure, since anytime I'm in their proximity, they gang up on me and attack my lifestyle choices. She assured me that my personal life would not be brought up.

So I went over to her house with a gift for the birthday girl. All was fine,at first. Then, it happened. My mom commented that I'd make a good mother "if only you'd give motherhood a chance". I stared daggers at my mom, then gave my sister a quizzical look. She looked a bit embarrassed, but then she said " we just want what's best for you. You should probably spend more time with our kids. I'm sure that if you do, you'll change your mind. A lot of people say they don't want kids but then they change their minds when they see how wonderful kids are".

I was loving pissed and decided to just give them a taste of their own medicine. I said "you know a lot of people think they want kids, but then they begin regretting their own kids. So, I don't know, you guys may stop loving your kids someday and resent them for draining your resources." My SIL gasped. Then I left without saying another word. Since then my parents and relatives have been bombarding me with angry texts and calls telling I should apologize for saying "such a horrible thing". I told them they were loving hypocrites as they insult my life choices but can't take it when I insult theirs.

Tell me, am I the rear end in a top hat?

Edit : Some of you have asked if I said this in front of the kids. I didn't. I waited for them to go away. I'm not a kid person , but the last thing I would want to do is traumatize a kid.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Like literally every time, the childfree character is the saintly hero beset on all sides by iniquity.

AITA for referring to myself as Mulatto?

quote:

I was having a conversation in a group and someone asked what my heritage was? It isn't uncommon for folks to assume I am Hispanic (usually Peruvian specifically) or just start speaking Spanish to me. I said I am Mulatto and someone in that group said that is a hateful term akin to High Yellow (if that is offensive? I've heard my Black family members use it but it was never in a negative light, I don't like that term personally), but I prefer that term for my description of race. I hate being called Mixed, which I have heard for years, I am not a dog breed. AITA for using a supposedly antiquated term to describe a person of black and white heritage?
Should've done it with the lights on. It's less dangerous.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
a cooler word for that would be 'hybrid'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Like literally every time, the childfree character is the saintly hero beset on all sides by iniquity.

AITA for referring to myself as Mulatto?

Should've done it with the lights on. It's less dangerous.

The comments have that mostly covered, but it's definitely a term he has the right to use... just like a lot of reclaimed words it's something you're rolling the dice on.

What the hell is High Yellow, though?

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzL23asWGs

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for acting so hugely ungrateful for a gift given to me by my group of friends that they had to change it?

quote:

I have a small group of friends who are a mix of guys and girls, and I am varying degrees of close with them. We usually buy each other a group gift for birthdays as pooling money always means one good gift as opposed to lots of small ones.

For my birthday this year, they gave me my gift via video call and when I received the email, I laughed and said ‘you can’t be serious’. It took me way too long to realise that they were. The gift they got me was a gift card to a lingerie and sex toy shop, emailed over to me by one of the guys I’m not that close to (we are good friends but not cry to him about my ex good friends). I was shocked and then utterly embarrassed because I found it a hugely inappropriate gift to be given. It wasn’t like it was just a group of girls who discuss things all the time.

I then found out they were going to actually buy me a lingerie set and sex toy, and the group was discussing the best ones to buy and my bra size and everything. This made me even more embarrassed and actually quite annoyed. I am by no means conservative and am very open but I thought it to be too far. They ended up apologising and getting me a new gift but the person whose idea it was in the first place said I was being a prude and being too dramatic. So AITA for not just shutting up and being grateful they got me a gift at all?

TLDR: group of mates got me a lingerie/sex toy gift voucher for my birthday which I thought was inappropriate so they had to get me a new gift.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

My brother and I, (who benefit from this ourselves) say people of multiple races benefit from hybrid vigor. It sounds like a fun scifi thing

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The comments have that mostly covered, but it's definitely a term he has the right to use... just like a lot of reclaimed words it's something you're rolling the dice on.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzL23asWGs

High Yellow refers to light skinned black people who have a yellow complexion.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Is she (25) with me only for my (30) money?

quote:

I’ve had some thoughts recently further exacerbated by a couple we know breaking up over finances.

This morning, she told me her friends broke up because the guy found the girl’s job (entertainment) too volatile, and if it would be impossible for him to support both of them should they get married. He says that in the last year and a half, he’s pushed her to work on financial stability but finds she hasn’t tried hard enough. My girlfriend thinks he didn’t give the girl a fair enough chance since she’s only 2 years post grad. I think he has a valid point.

My girlfriend is in grad school with low income prospects ($65-70k starting with not a whole lot of growth). What she’ll make in a year after graduating is close to my sign on bonus at my firm. We haven’t talked much about the future, but I can’t help but wonder if she’s with me just for my money. We can definitely live comfortably on my salary, but I can’t help but wonder.

She’s talked a lot about regretting getting into the field she’s chosen because of the money and is looking at different methods to staying loosely connected to her field while bringing in better income. She has about a year left of grad school and is not working for the summer.

Tldr; mutual friends broke up over money, and I’ve always wondered if she might be with me for mine. Not sure if it’s valid or I’m paranoid

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

an old timey phrase for mixed race people in the american south. if you had any verified black ancestry then you were black, but if you were light skinned enough that you could pass for white then folks might derogatorily refer to you as high yellow

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Invisible Clergy posted:

While I can believe these are STDH stories, I can also easily believe that someone's relatives get goddamn insane about reproducing. Like, our culture in general has major brain worms surrounding women having children, and some people just will not back the gently caress off.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

There is nothing remotely STDH about these stories. I am speaking genuinely about the plight of my fellow cf brothers and sisters. The oppression we face due to patriarchy is very real.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for bringing up my infertility?

quote:

A little background. I (17f) was born with a semi rare genetic disorder called BPES that affects the eyelids and/or ovaries. I have the type that affects both my eyelids and my ovaries. I don't have any ovarian function (ie, I don't get my period) unless I'm on birth control.

Essentially, I have incredibly low chances of getting pregnant, and I'm attempting to get over this slowly so that I'm not overly upset about it throughout my adult life.

The only problem is that people in my life bring it up a lot. For example, I could be around my siblings (I have an older brother and a younger sister) and my mom will mention how she can't wait for us to have kids. Normally I'll respond with something like "not me" or "I can't so..."

This normally upsets everyone around me, because they insist that because I've never attempted to get pregnant, I wouldn't know if I can or not. Then they all bring up their stories of people they know who were supposedly infertile and still ended up getting pregnant or getting someone pregnant.

The first point is fair enough in my opinion. I won't argue that there is no chance I'll ever get pregnant. But, the fact that they compare my situation to other people who got lucky upsets me, and makes me feel like I have no reason to be upset about it at all.

I have talked to people in my family about how them bringing up me having kids in the future. It isn't always in a conversation with my siblings. Sometimes it is with just my mom, or people in my family saying I would make a good mom.

So, in teenage fashion I guess, I'll get really angry whenever this happens. I'll end up yelling at people for bringing up me having kids. My family will tell my I'm blowing things out of proportion over a simple comment.

AITA for getting angry over a small comment?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The family absolutely sucks but when the OP opens with

quote:

I have none and never want any. I like being able to travel, spend my money on myself, my pets and charities I support and I don't want to ruin my sex life.

And identify as "childfree", they probably aren't as perfect as they think they are.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

teen witch posted:

I want to know why the divorce was so messy that the daughter hates OP and OP's new family so much.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some kids are just duds

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I liken childfree people to militant atheists. Yeah, I get it, you don't do x or y, shut up about it now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Invisible Clergy posted:

They also know a lot about being parents and having kids somehow.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cyks posted:

The family absolutely sucks but when the OP opens with

And identify as "childfree", they probably aren't as perfect as they think they are.

Yeah, like the part that pings the STDH for me is just the "and then I totally owned them with this sick burn and left without another word" bit. I can believe SOMETHING happened that looks vaguely like that, but it seems a little bit pat. Probably the reality had a lot less of OP looking chill and righteous, and a lot more everyone kind of sucking.

Though I'd still put my money on OP not being the rear end in a top hat. Maybe AN rear end in a top hat (assuming the interaction wasn't as cut and dried as they depict it), but not THE rear end in a top hat. Family need to back the gently caress off and let OP be the weird childless aunt.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for not wanting my best friend to be godmother to my daughter due to her short life expectancy?

quote:

My best friend, Mia, has cystic fibrosis. The average life expectancy for cystic fibrosis is about 37, but Mias doctors don’t think she’ll get to 30. When we were kids and her CF wasn’t something I was hyper aware of, we agreed that we’d be godparents to each others kids.

I recently gave birth to a baby girl, and obviously due to COVID we’ve had no visitors to meet her, but I FaceTimed Mia from the hospital. She started the call with “let me see my goddaughter then” and that’s when I remembered the agreement that we made. Don’t get me wrong, I adore Mia, she’s my best friend, but it seems a bit silly to allow her to be god mother when 1) she probably won’t be around by the time something could happen to go wrong for me and 2) her quality of life would in no way enable her to look after a child.

I waited until we were home before I said anything to Mia and when I asked her if she was okay with it she said she was, but I got a text from her mom later that night asking how I can claim to be her best friend when I treat her like that. A few of our friends have also said I’m an rear end in a top hat for taking something away from Mia that she’s been looking forward to for so long. I called Mia and asked if she was upset and she said that she really was, and that it was another thing she couldn’t do because of her CF. I sympathise with her but I said I wasn’t going to change my mind. She’s really upset with me now, along with our friends and her parents. AITA?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm pretty sure choosing a god parent is just a sort of gesture of good will and it rarely becomes a legally binding THING unless you go through a lot of loopholes. gently caress's sake, just let her spend the years she has left feeling good about mattering to your kid and your childhood relationship.

It literally costs you nothing to name someone a godparent unless you start drawing up legal documents. It obviously matters to her, let her have this special thing, ffs you goddamn ghoul.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is it not the norm to have multiple godparents? You can name your friend for a nice fun thing to do and also someone else who is a more realistic choice.

Or consider that the people you choose now might not be the best choices at any given moment in the next 18 years and you probably shouldn't sweat this one decision too much because you'll probably need to revise the plan anyway.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Deformed Church posted:

Is it not the norm to have multiple godparents? You can name your friend for a nice fun thing to do and also someone else who is a more realistic choice.

Or consider that the people you choose now might not be the best choices at any given moment in the next 18 years and you probably shouldn't sweat this one decision too much because you'll probably need to revise the plan anyway.

Catholicism has rules for the death of a godparent (and I assume other religions are similar), so unless Mia manages to survive past the kid's confirmation, OP can just get a new godparent after her death.

After confirmation, the kid can't have an official godparent, but they can get a spiritual mentor, which is basically the same thing.

Also WTF does OP expect out of a godparent? My experience has always been that they kind of exist but don't take a huge role in the kid's life other than being basically more family.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Puppy Time posted:

Catholicism has rules for the death of a godparent (and I assume other religions are similar), so unless Mia manages to survive past the kid's confirmation, OP can just get a new godparent after her death.

After confirmation, the kid can't have an official godparent, but they can get a spiritual mentor, which is basically the same thing.

Also WTF does OP expect out of a godparent? My experience has always been that they kind of exist but don't take a huge role in the kid's life other than being basically more family.

Some people consider the godparent to be the person that'll take care of the kid if they are orphaned.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Also I'm not concrete on the dogma but they have to be present at the baptism for it to be legit I'd imagine so like, you can't just hot swap godparents when one burns out for some religious people I'm guessing?

Real talk though just loving let her be godparent. the hell.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (35m) girlfriend (29f) refuses to believe she smells and will only shower once a week.

quote:

She's not depressed. She's happy and engaged and creative. Always singing and goofing around. We've talked about depression before (because I'm prone to depression) and she has said she's never been down more than a day here and there.

​We've been together for 3 years and have lived together since February. She only showers once a week. It's not some "set" day or anything....just when she eventually gets around to it. This really bugs me because I'm OCD and really into hygiene. I always have a shower every morning and sometimes I'll even have a bath at night to unwind.

​I tried in the beginning by asking her if she wanted to try my new body wash. She said yeah, maybe next time I have a shower I'll try it out. Then I started asking her if she showered today. "No, why?" I told her that her hair looked a little greasy. She put it in a pony tail.

​It's progressed a lot since then. Now I'll tell her "you have an odour". Or "you smell a bit funky, maybe you want to grab a quick shower?". She wears deodorant daily, but there's still a bit of a stale BO odour that is around her. Nothing horrifying, but it isn't a good smell. Also, she has a sweaty genital funk. I recognize exactly what it is because I smell it on myself sometimes after a long hot day. Well this goes on for days. Once we were being intimate and I had to admit that she smelled sweaty down there (honestly, it was more of a gross urine-mixed-with-days-old-sweat funk, but I was trying to be gentle). She grabbed a baby wipe and wiped herself. Great....but not nearly as effective as using soap and water.

​I finally had a bit of a breakdown and told her she stinks and asked her why the hell she doesn't shower daily? She got irritated and told me I'm controlling and even when she DOES shower I claim she smells (ok, once I asked her what she was wearing because it was a strong-smelling body lotion that basically smelled like Mr. Clean....another time I said her soap smelled like grandma soap....it was a strong fake lavender smell). I even bought her some nice soap/lotions before but of course she rarely uses it. She tells me she doesn't smell bad, that she's a grown woman and of course she sweats and that's normal and I'm so uptight if I get freaked out by a little sweat.

​How am I supposed to deal with all this? She also re-wears the same underwear (I have a couple of times caught her sniffing to see if they are still "passable", and once she was wearing a skirt and when she uncrossed her legs a strong "genital" smell wafted through the air). I love her. But this is just gross. Help????

​tldr: girlfriend doesn't really care about hygiene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, like the part that pings the STDH for me is just the "and then I totally owned them with this sick burn and left without another word" bit. I can believe SOMETHING happened that looks vaguely like that, but it seems a little bit pat. Probably the reality had a lot less of OP looking chill and righteous, and a lot more everyone kind of sucking.

I've known people who tell stories like this and yeah you can usually tell when they're leaving out important details.

The "I said this really impactful thing and they just stood there baffled" bit is almost always a lie. People don't just silently stand there and take poo poo like in TV shows.