Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Remaster dark souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

More PS5 stuff happening now, Bungie confirmed on their stream thing that Destiny 2 is PS5 bound at 60 FPS, free account transfer (ala PS3->PS4 Destiny 1's) with inter-generational crossplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

As much as I would like to see Horizon 2 sooner than later if it were anything close to launch-ready then it would be Sony's best-kept production secret to date. Their usual MO is to go approximately 24 years between the reveal trailer and release.

Bloodborne was announced like 7 or 8 months before release.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
How's Battlefield V now after all the patches? I always liked the battlefield games for vehicles being the great equalizer for my poor shooting skills.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PlushCow posted:

How's Battlefield V now after all the patches? I always liked the battlefield games for vehicles being the great equalizer for my poor shooting skills.

I revisited it 2 weeks ago, hoping it might be salvageable after all the content and updates...
Played 30 min, 2 maps, with new us/japan content.

Uninstalled.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BF5 is just not very fun at it's core. I don't think it's salvageable. That series needs to take a serious look at what made it fun in the first place and go back to the drawing board.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bungie just livestreamed their new content plan for the next few years and two of their announcments were:

A) Inter-generational Crossplay, meaning a PS3 D2 player and a PS4 D2 player and a PS5 D2 player can all play together.

B) All paid D2 content is now transferred freely between consoles. So if you have paid D2 content on your PS4, it will all just be there on your PS5 if/when you upgrade for free.

Bungie really trying to stop hemorrhaging players and clean up the currently lovely game experience.

They've also announced new content for the next 3 years and quashed any rumors of D3 in the meantime. Also they released a new dungeon that unlocks today at 5 PM PST!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Squad and Hell Let Loose are pretty good alternatives to bfv but are only on steam. It's not the same though. I miss bf2-bf3 days a lot

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

veni veni veni posted:

BF5 is just not very fun at it's core. I don't think it's salvageable. That series needs to take a serious look at what made it fun in the first place and go back to the drawing board.

I've played nearly every battlefield game. Hundreds of hours each. Battlefield v is the only game in the series that I couldn't even break 100 hours.

There is something fundamentally wrong with the game. Maps aren't as good as they could be, game modes are slightly worse, ttk is weird, and so on. It's all just a slight change but together it just is off-putting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed. There is just something so off about the balance that I can't put my finger on. I can usually find my footing in a role in BF and get relatively good at it, but I felt like I was just terrible at it even after a few dozen hours. Not in a way that made me want to improve though. It just made me ultimately not want to play and eventually just uninstall it.

It's a shame because it looks absolutely stunning and the destruction is pretty incredible.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I agree it has problems in nearly every mechanic. What really sticks out to me, and similar to cod ww2... it doesnt feel like ww2 at all, you're putting red dot sights and poo poo on ww2 guns that are just reskinned mw2 weapons and it feels horrible.

Edit: which is why i recommend HLL because most players are running around with faction appropriate bolt action rifles or m1 garands. the guy carrying the rocky launcher is a dedicated class again etc

ethanol fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 9, 2020

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

ethanol posted:

I agree it has problems in nearly every mechanic. What really sticks out to me... it's got the same problems cod ww2 has in terms of it doesnt feel like ww2 at all, you're putting red dot sights and poo poo on ww2 guns that are just reskinned mw2 weapons and it' feels horrible

COD always keeps the basic gunplay pretty fun though. It's responsive, the ttk is appropriate for most things, matches are quick. Mindless yes, but still gets dopamine running better than BFV does.

Don't forget that they've tried to make big changes to BFV like three times now. It just can't be fixed easily, they're better off just tossing it all out and rebuilding from the ground up.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who can't quite place their finger on why BFV isn't a good BF. It's kinda like how I can't explain why Bad Company 2 is such a great game but it just is. Funny thing, Battlefield games.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Isn’t the whole PS3 BC issue that those games were made to run with the CELL processor and don’t emulate well without one?

PC emulation for PS3 has come a long way. Sony understands the architecture better than anyone else, and if they put in the time and effort, they could get the games running well on PS5.

If they do target PS3 back compatability, I'd be really surprised if all or most games work out of the box right off the bat. It'd probably be easier to target games that don't make extensive use of the SPE cores.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Shame about BFV, will pass on it.

ethanol posted:

Squad and Hell Let Loose are pretty good alternatives to bfv but are only on steam. It's not the same though. I miss bf2-bf3 days a lot

What I like about the Battlefield games is the scale, and vehicles. Vehicles always felt like a great equalizer for my poor shooting skills. Ill keep an eye on these games, thanks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

il serpente cosmico posted:

PC emulation for PS3 has come a long way. Sony understands the architecture better than anyone else, and if they put in the time and effort, they could get the games running well on PS5.

If they do target PS3 back compatability, I'd be really surprised if all or most games work out of the box right off the bat. It'd probably be easier to target games that don't make extensive use of the SPE cores.

They might not even be able to make all games work out of the box legally. They probably only could do games where they own the IP without paying publishers.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Bungie just livestreamed their new content plan for the next few years and two of their announcments were:

A) Inter-generational Crossplay, meaning a PS3 D2 player and a PS4 D2 player and a PS5 D2 player can all play together.

B) All paid D2 content is now transferred freely between consoles. So if you have paid D2 content on your PS4, it will all just be there on your PS5 if/when you upgrade for free.

Bungie really trying to stop hemorrhaging players and clean up the currently lovely game experience.

They've also announced new content for the next 3 years and quashed any rumors of D3 in the meantime. Also they released a new dungeon that unlocks today at 5 PM PST!

They're putting Destiny 2 out on PS3?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I wonder if they could stick a CELL processor in as a secondary processor like the WiiU and Wii did for backwards compatibility.

Also the "not all PS4 games are backwards compatible" statement had a clarification shortly after it iirc; most games SHOULD work, the edge case is some games apparently run at the cpu clock speed instead of a hardcoded speed. Which gets REAL fun on a faster processor...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

veni veni veni posted:

Bloodborne was announced like 7 or 8 months before release.

Just for fun I looked at the biggest PS4 exclusives for this generation and calculated the length of time in between their worldwide announcement and retail release.

Bloodborne (06/09/2014 - 03/24/2015) - 9 months
Uncharted 4 (06/09/2014 - 05/10/2015) - 11 months
Horizon Zero Dawn (06/15/2015 - 02/28/2017) - 21 months
God of War (06/13/2016 - 04/20/2018) - 22 months
Spider-Man (06/13/2016 - 09/07/2018) - 27 months
Death Stranding (06/13/2016 - 11/09/2019) - 41 months
The Last of Us Pt. 2 (12/03/2016 - 06/19/2020) - 42 months(!)
Ghost of Tsushima (10/30/2017 - 07/17/2020) - 32 months

The average:A little over 2 years, becoming increasingly more and more ridiculous as this console generation has gone on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Uncharted 4 was announced when the PS4 was released, so 2013. And according to Wikipedia, it came out May 2016.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Nail Rat posted:

They might not even be able to make all games work out of the box legally. They probably only could do games where they own the IP without paying publishers.

how would this be an issue (for actual physical games, which is the point of BC as far as I know)? Like I'm not seeing a reason Sony couldn't sell you a PS2 tomorrow (other than no one would buy it) that let you play PS2 games you already owned.

if you're talking about them reselling games digitally on the store, then sure, but that's not really BC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

More PS5 stuff happening now, Bungie confirmed on their stream thing that Destiny 2 is PS5 bound at 60 FPS, free account transfer (ala PS3->PS4 Destiny 1's) with inter-generational crossplay.

So you get a free native PS5 copy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Last Guardian: (06/2/2009 - 12/06/2016) - 90 months

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Uncharted 4 was announced when the PS4 was released, so 2013. And according to Wikipedia, it came out May 2016.

It was revealed at the same E3 as Bloodborne. It's possible they acknowledged it being in development before then but in any official capacity the announcement date lines up with what exqusite tea posted. That was the year they aired Sony's E3 event in theaters (which was way fun I wish they had kept doing that)

haveblue posted:

The Last Guardian: (06/2/2009 - 12/06/2016) - 90 months

:eyepop:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It was revealed at the same E3 as Bloodborne. It's possible they acknowledged it being in development before then but in any official capacity the announcement date lines up with what exqusite tea posted. That was the year they aired Sony's E3 event in theaters (which was way fun I wish they had kept doing that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnJPTkrD7o

Old Sam before the VA switcheroo/Amy Hennig's departure.

November 14th 2013

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 9, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Nioh eventually went multiplatform but the first announce trailer for it was for PS3 in 2005, ended up released in 2017.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
DNF is the undisputed king at fourteen years
1997 announcement
2011 release

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first Prey is up there too, first shown in 1995 and released (in a very different form) in 2006

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

DNF is the undisputed king....
This post will be quoted on the box for the Duke Nukem Forever Remaster.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nail Rat posted:

I don't know the ins and outs of this, but I think the main issue that Microsoft has run into with 360 games on the Bone is that they aren't simply running the native code. They are doing some light port work to get the games working on the newer platform, which means they need to get all the rights holders onboard to make it happen. This isn't a problem 90% of the time since the original publisher doesn't have to do any work on it, but sometimes things can get caught in limbo.

If PS5 is just running PS3 game code without modifying it, then I don't think they'd run into this problem, but I'm not positive. Obviously things are more complicated these days than they were when the PS3 was running PS2 and PS1 discs when you consider most people have extensive libraries tied to their accounts, the game all have patches and DLC, music rights can get tricky, etc.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I remember back in the day, the rumour why the PS2 perfectly emulated the PS1 was because they just put a chip inside the PS2 that was the processor for a PS1. So that your PS2 contained a tiny PS1 architecture inside it.

Typing it out and looking at this thread, this was probably all bollocks, but I believed it back in the day because I didn’t know any better.

But could they do that with the PS5? Like was it in any way feasible?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
The original preview art and gameplay stills shown for Fable 1 showed a much darker and grittier game to what was released.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

The Question IRL posted:

I remember back in the day, the rumour why the PS2 perfectly emulated the PS1 was because they just put a chip inside the PS2 that was the processor for a PS1. So that your PS2 contained a tiny PS1 architecture inside it.

Typing it out and looking at this thread, this was probably all bollocks, but I believed it back in the day because I didn’t know any better.

Yeah the PS2 contained the PS1 CPU, and the first gen PS3 contained both.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

PS2's BC was supported by a separate chip dedicated to running PS1 games. That's the same way PS3 played PS2 games, until it got removed in new models to reduce hardware production cost. PS5 doesn't need to include dedicated hardware for PS4 games because it has the same general architecture, and a GPU with a PS4 compatibility mode.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol the splash page art for Ark Survival Evolved is literally DinoRiders.

and since nothing is happening with the actual DinoRiders IP, fuckin go for broke dudes

Edit: I can't even tell what this is about! Is this Monster Hunter meets Planetside? I'm not sure I care about it now but 8-22 year old me would've gone off the deep end over this thing.

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 9, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That's illegal :argh:

I too have a hacked Vita and it's the best handheld ever made IMO. GBA games on that OLED, :allears:

Did they ever make it easier to hack so you didn’t have to like re hack every time you turn it on

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The industry Twitter check marks are saying Persona 4 Golden is escaping Vita at the PC Gaming Show, probably to Steam but a console release is probable alongside it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Incidentally, there's a pretty neat article here about the PS2's BC with notes from the guy at Sony who was tasked with making it happen:

https://medium.com/@freelansations/the-story-of-the-ps2s-backwards-compatibility-from-the-engineer-who-built-it-ec39cf5a0353

among other things, apparently in the early stages, when you completed a lap on Ridge Racer, the screen turned pink

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 9, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rinkles posted:

So you get a free native PS5 copy?

The base game is already free to play and they confirmed that expansion content you've purchased will carry over so yeah, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

acksplode posted:

PS2's BC was supported by a separate chip dedicated to running PS1 games. That's the same way PS3 played PS2 games, until it got removed in new models to reduce hardware production cost. PS5 doesn't need to include dedicated hardware for PS4 games because it has the same general architecture, and a GPU with a PS4 compatibility mode.

Interesting. Wow, I did remember that right.

So, could Sony not put the same or a more advanced chip for the PS1 and or PS2 into the PS5?
Like they couldn’t be that big, right?