Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

I had to see this and now you do too

I'm not sure what's worse, the image itself or the fact that it's gonna work on people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

mind the walrus posted:

I'm not sure what's worse, the image itself or the fact that it's gonna work on people

I don't care, send it to Adam Baldwin, see if we can kill him with anger.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A silver lining I hadn't thought of

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

More firefly antifa images and I’ll add them to the op

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I remember thinking the show was ok back when it was new, but at the time Stargate was also just ok and Trek was imploding so it stood out. I liked it well enough to go see Serenity when it came out and I was satisfied that the show got an ending.

Then I got a job working overnights and so for several years the only thing on TV when I got home after my shifts would be reruns of Buffy and Angel. That's where I learned to hate Whedon. Sometime in 2015 I tried watching Firefly again and I just couldn't loving do it. I've been catching BSG again too on Comet and a lot of that is still great but nearly as much doesn't hold up either; honestly I think Voyager traumatized the whole genre with it's blandness that everybody started slamming shots and biting the filters off cigarettes and sitting in dimly lit rooms just to feel something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I do have to wonder if the 90s anime boom might have had a connection to American sci-fi becoming rote and overdramatic. Sure, anime has its own formulas and cliches, but it's offering different ones to an audience that wants something more interesting than their dads' overplayed dreck and kiddy cartoons.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do have to wonder if the 90s anime boom might have had a connection to American sci-fi becoming rote and overdramatic. Sure, anime has its own formulas and cliches, but it's offering different ones to an audience that wants something more interesting than their dads' overplayed dreck and kiddy cartoons.

Impressionable young American and Canadian TV watchers got Gundam Wing, Tenchi, Outlaw Star and Big O in a pretty short space of time, that's a lot of wildly varied and cool SciFi to counter Live Action scifi reaching peak meh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As a kid during that time, and many of you were too, it's no secret that anime and video games were orders of magnitude cleaner, more dynamic, and more kinetic than anything live-action TV was putting out. Big clunky ships with expensive parts that take years to engineer and manufacture just so they can fart across a screen and fire a few guns once is only impressive when you have some idea of the labor involved, not when you're a dipshit kid on a perpetual sugar high. The fact that the anime of the time often featured more realistic clothing didn't help.

Being older and having had to compromise a few too many times for my liking, having made homes with bands of other cast-offs and refugees, knowing how fragile the line between independence and irreversible poverty is, there is something about Firefly that connects beyond the troubling "Space Confederacy Freedumb" aesthetics. The characters and interplay do work and have resonance, same as they still do in Buffy/Angel. Whedon for all his garbage really is the best in the business at writing teams, Justice League not-withstanding.

It's just that the universe it's in really does suck on like every level.

The "I want to show my poly friend how woke I am" Companion stuff is the worst, but I also want to point out how awful the Shepherd and Christianity stuff plays. Once for shits and giggles I looked up what the Shepherd's real backstory was and goddamn it was lame. The Asian cultural appropriation is really lame. Keeping everything about the Alliance and Reavers and Independents so thinly sketched really wears thin fast. I watched through it with my girlfriend and the very first thing she asked was "So wait none of them know about hydroponics?" and I'm like "I know, I know, just... this show has a lot of crap you've got to look beyond." We did enjoy it but that should tell you the level of Capital T "Theatre Kid" crap that drags down the show overall.

"Ooh but Mal's name is a pun and Zoe means 'life' and Serenity is an ironic name and the writing is so layered with symbols" yeah sure but to what actual end? The more I look back on it the more impressive it is that Whedon convinced anyone to give him a budget.

Buffy/Angel have aged better because you can tell that even at their most high-minded they're still not pretending to be anything more than teenybopper shows.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, if you don't look up weird background materials, you'd never know that there was supposed to be a chinese element to the show, because it never shows up anywhere.

I don't think I ever watched any of Josh Whedon's movies, but at least he can't piss around with never actually showing the elements that supposedly define a work with just a two hour runtime.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

The "I want to show my poly friend how woke I am" Companion stuff is the worst

I think this is best explained by him being a repeat john to high-end sex workers and really believing that they weren't just tolerating him in exchange for money/were actually doing it to pay for law school etc.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That would make a painful amount of sense. Lots of poly people--specifically the kinds of poly people that tend to be a touch dramatic about their poly status-- flocked to Firefly as well because "any sex positivity is good." Being fair in 2002 that was kind-of true.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best part of Firefly was when River slashed Jane across the chest with a Bowie knife.

How much do you think we could raise in a GoFundMe to get Summer Glau to slash Adam Baldwin for real? I'm in for $50.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

When I look back at Firefly I do still love the majority of the episodes. Each self-contained story and the characters within still hold up as well-written and interesting IMO. But the larger universe and the metaplot and the premise are all pretty crap, and its probably greatly in the show's favor that it was canceled and ended as a de facto anthology rather than an epic.

Its basically the opposite of Voyager in a way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Having ingested an embarrassingly large body of Whedon's work, the only time he was ever actually good at a major arc was on Buffy, if I'm being honest. Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways, even his work on the Avengers movies all kind-of falls apart on a macro level. He's really good at tight contained stories and premises and carrying character development forward-- a refreshing evolution in the 90s and early 00s when syndication was king for genre fare, but no longer the case.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

mind the walrus posted:

Having ingested an embarrassingly large body of Whedon's work, the only time he was ever actually good at a major arc was on Buffy, if I'm being honest. Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways, even his work on the Avengers movies all kind-of falls apart on a macro level. He's really good at tight contained stories and premises and carrying character development forward-- a refreshing evolution in the 90s and early 00s when syndication was king for genre fare, but no longer the case.

I don't really agree on Marvel Phase 2, but I'm aware that my opinion that Age of Ultron and Thor Dark World are actually severely underrated is a minority one.

Joss did a lot of work on Agents of SHIELD didn't he? Is that good? I never got around to it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's NCIS but with more shipping and occasionally someone make a reference to a Marvel thing. I mean that both negatively and positively. I don't think Whedon is involved at all aside from collecting Exec Producer checks. It's all his brother and whatever castoffs from other shows fit in.

Age of Ultron is fine by the way, it's just clear that Whedon and the overall MCU machine are at odds and it's the one time where even I felt that Whedon's "quip voice" was actively getting in the way. There's a lot of dialogue in that movie that is memorable for all the wrong reasons. In hindsight I can say that a lot of decisions were bad but it's hard to tell who is responsible for who-- if I had to guess I'd say that the MCU machine wanted the army of mooks and the stopover in Korea and Vision and all of that bloats the movie, and that Whedon wanted the thing to be small and dark which is a blisteringly stupid instinct.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The early seasons of Angel are good and still hold up really well, and then Whedon proceeds to absolutely poo poo on Darla, Cordy, and finally Fred, which really puts a damper on otherwise great character development for Wesley, Spike, and Lorne in particular over those last couple seasons.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And now I'm thinking about both Glenn Quinn and Andy Hallett & getting bummed out. :smith:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

mind the walrus posted:

It's just that the universe it's in really does suck on like every level.

And that’s where I feel like the movie ruined a lot of things. A lot of the cringey samurai stuff and poor explanations of the reavers and society and dumb telekinetic stuff really came into focus, whereas before that it was all ambiguous. Not a fan of the weirdness with the sex worker character, but at least in the show’s defense there’s evidence of sex workers being held in higher esteem before the temperance movement and other puritanical social movements of the time redefined public opinion. Knowing whedon was a lovely person really helps explain how the way that character was written though.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I didn't read the rest of this thread but I watched Firefly on Netflix several years ago to see why it was popular and it was trash.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

https://twitter.com/ray8fisher/status/1278362556214755329?s=20

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Really brings a whole new meaning to "Firefly Bullying Embassy".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Smirking_Serpent posted:

also every time i see this book on the shelves i want to kill myself:

Wendy Sterba?!? More like Wendy...uh...STUPID!!!

Haha, got 'em.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

pretty full on that Fisher is putting it all on the line to call out Whedon.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Either Fisher really doesn't mind only doing regional theater work for the rest of his career or he's made some exceptionally powerful friends and is feeling cocky.

Regardless-- respect. Crap like this needs to get called out more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of a theme lately is black people are sick of being hosed around by white authority figures who are massively overdue for consequences.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems to me like Whedon’s star has fallen massively in the last five or so years. Is that actually true, or just a result of my own echo chambers?

If it’s true, maybe he’s being abandoned by his protectors in the industry.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The impression I got was that whatever happened with Age of Ultron had Disney quietly showing him the door, then Justice League subsequently flopping under him burned any remaining bridges in hollywood.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's probably real truth to that. According to imdb Whedon's next project is a TV show called "The Nevers" which seems to have a large Brit cast and be about Brits (including Nick Frost and Olivia Williams):

"imdb posted:

An epic tale following a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world.

So between Whedon loving with the Disney machine, the accusations and subsequent dropping of him by his core base, Justice League underperforming, and now this. It looks from a complete outsider perspective like he's being farmed off to a deep corner of "the industry" because he's too established/connected to just drop, and see if he's "still got it" by giving him a simple project that greatly resembles his past successes.

I can't say I'm looking forward to it and won't be supporting it.

-----

What has me curious from a gossip angle is if Fisher has been promised some seriously juicy future stuff by HBO, the WB, and/or Zack Snyder to be talking this confidently. Other black actors like Boyega and Mackie seem to realize that after their current Disney contracts are up they're probably "done" for lead roles in A-List projects and have one foot out the door, but Fisher doesn't have their decade + of royalty checks to sit on (which probably isn't insane because it's Disney contracts, but if used wisely is also probably enough money that they'll never need to worry about a day job again).

So between that and the constant rumors that Snyder apparently wanted Fisher to be the central focus on his original Justice League, and WB/HBO making a big show of how they're pumping millions of dollars into making "the Snyder Cut" a reality for neckbeards, Fisher might have been promised some lucrative focus and/or feels very confident in his relationships with these guys to keep getting work for at least a few more years.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of a theme lately is black people are sick of being hosed around by white authority figures who are massively overdue for consequences.

I'm sure Black protagonists are tired of doughy, white directors completely loving them over.

(I want to hear more from John Boyega)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Aww, Anthony Mackie is great though! He could do other A-list things! :<

EDIT: Apparently he played MLK opposite Brian Cranston as LBJ in a HBO Drama about the Civil Rights Act? poo poo, I need to watch that!

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 4, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

EDIT: Apparently he played MLK opposite Brian Cranston as LBJ in a HBO Drama about the Civil Rights Act? poo poo, I need to watch that!
I saw Cranston do that on stage. It's a good one. Worth a watch.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Committing threadcromancy to post this: (Another former employee of Jo Sweden has come forward with abuse/harassment allegations.)
https://www.cbr.com/charisma-carpenter-joss-whedon-abuse-allegations/

frogge fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 10, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What's this Warner investigation? Is he going to get sued or blacklisted or something? I'm sure there are tons more people with stories like that to tell.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What's this Warner investigation? Is he going to get sued or blacklisted or something? I'm sure there are tons more people with stories like that to tell.

Ray Fisher, actor of Cyborg in Justice League, accused Whedon of being abusive on set, as well as Geoff Johns and Walter Hamda for enabling his behavior. This caused an independent investigation to be launched that concluded in mid-December.

Joss Whedon left The Nevers about a month or two ago. Make of that what you will.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Whedon currently has a section on his wiki for "Accusations of Workplace Haraassment" and it's about the length of "Personal Life".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Whedon#Accusations_of_workplace_harassment

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gently caress Geoff Johns

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Geoff Johns is such a loving wanker. Wrote 3 years worth of half-decent DC comics and got to do nearly two decades of masturbatory crap.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

mind the walrus posted:

Geoff Johns is such a loving wanker. Wrote 3 years worth of half-decent DC comics and got to do nearly two decades of masturbatory crap.

Blackest Night was good :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Ehhh, I liked everything leading up to it but I found Blackest Night itself a bit naff.