Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ni no Kuni is Fine but I wouldn't play it unless you've exhausted every other RPG on the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ni no Kuni is not fine and borderline unplayable because the AI is just that lovely.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What the Golf is charming and often hilarious, although the secondary objectives with par limits sometimes kill my flow as it shifts the focus to actually trying to be good at the game instead of just silly fun. But I always get a good chuckle out of the game subverting my expectations (e.g., first when it launches the golfer instead, and later the power meter itself), and the music with people chanting "what the golf" or other nonsense is so dumb it's funny. The game being mostly about the mechanic of setting a power + direction means they can do some interesting stuff with it later, including Trials-like bike obstacle courses.

Also, the "show your friends" menu option is just brilliant. This is exactly the kind of game where you'd want to show off some of the crazier stuff to your friends, and having a way to jump right into that instead of being like "hold on, let me just get past this level... and then this one..." is a huge help. As much as I enjoyed Untitled Goose Game, I really hit a wall when I was demonstrating the game as I tried to remember how to remove the gardener's hat.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Leisure Suit Larry creator has been on Twitter for over a decade making exactly the same style jokes daily

He wasn't involved with the latest Larry and seems really grump about someone taking his baby.
Personally I liked it. Decent writing with funny jokes and the graphics grew on me. What surprised me was how extremely woke and inclusive it was. Sure, there are jokes that could be considered sexist and homophobic, but they're always at the expense of Larry.
Also, during a dream sequence that uses the visual style of the first game a certain guy welcomes Larry to his office. I loving lost it since the writing is perfect.

https://imgur.com/OZMUIZC

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really want to like Disgaea because I love tactical RPGs but there's just something about the interface and balance that is immensely dissatisfying.

Someone just make me a new FFT please I need it in my life

Especially now that it’s $20 I tried the demo but yeah something about it feels like... they didn’t finish it? I played all the old Disgaea games a lot but maybe the whole franchise just didn’t age super well

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I’ll be honest as someone who watched Naruto for a year in like, 2002, I kind of want to buy that $20 pack with all those naruto games

Basically I’m saying $20 makes me make dumb decisions

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

cerebral posted:

I bought this on sale too, and I hated it for the first few hours of play. I have a series of texts to my friend, who convinced me to buy it, describing exactly why I hated it and all the stupid things about it that made it suck, but I pushed through it because he kept telling me it was worth it. I took the time to set up item and gear sets, I watched too many gaijin hunter Youtube videos to count, and finally it clicked. When it clicked, it really clicked. I've been playing it constantly ever since, and I think I can safely say that I like it even more than I liked World, and I loved World.

You shouldn't have to work at liking a game, but in this case, I did, and it ended up paying off big time. For reference, the only other game that I can remember really having to work to love and having it pay off to the same degree was Dragon's Dogma, and that ended up being one of my favorite games of all time.

My friend mentioned that same YT channel, I'll have to give it a watch. Good to hear though!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If the E-Shop sale didn’t blow out your wallet

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1270445934837551105?s=21

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Oh man Diablo III is on sale too, ugh my wallet

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zeeman posted:

Oh man Diablo III is on sale too, ugh my wallet

Titan Quest is on sale much cheaper....

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Rutibex posted:

I borrowed that from the library, such a bad port.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rutibex posted:

Titan Quest is way worse than Diablo 3.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Titan Quest is way worse than Diablo 3.

that's the guy who recommended spongebob kart over mario kart because it was cheaper

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Bust Rodd posted:

If the E-Shop sale didn’t blow out your wallet

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1270445934837551105?s=21

I wish, that sold out within 2 minutes.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I keep on seeing LEGO DC Super-Villains pop up on sale... is it worth it if I enjoyed the original LEGO Star Wars back in the day?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Weedle posted:

that's the guy who recommended spongebob kart over mario kart because it was cheaper

Titan Quest is way worse than Diablo 3 though

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

As I recall, my first few hours of Titan Quest was getting piles and piles of lovely grey-tier weapons and armor and fighting the same enemies over and over in a grassy field.
Maybe it gets fun but it sure doesn't let you know that from the start

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is the input delay on Sega Genesis Classics still bad? So many good games in there but I'd hate to buy it and find it unplayable.

Bought Sega Ages Out Run though can't believe I forgot about that game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Social Animal posted:

Is the input delay on Sega Genesis Classics still bad? So many good games in there but I'd hate to buy it and find it unplayable.

Bought Sega Ages Out Run though can't believe I forgot about that game.

Yes, it’s that bad imo. The games also look blurry and like poo poo. It’s fine for the RPGs but I’d still stick to the Ages collections for any single games you’d may want.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

As I recall, my first few hours of Titan Quest was getting piles and piles of lovely grey-tier weapons and armor and fighting the same enemies over and over in a grassy field.
Maybe it gets fun but it sure doesn't let you know that from the start

No that's the entire game, getting tons of garbo drops while you put points into a whole three skills so you have a viable character, unless you chose the wrong combination of skill trees so nothing you can do is viable.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes, it’s that bad imo. The games also look blurry and like poo poo. It’s fine for the RPGs but I’d still stick to the Ages collections for any single games you’d may want.

drat that sucks. What a tease!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

No that's the entire game, getting tons of garbo drops while you put points into a whole three skills so you have a viable character, unless you chose the wrong combination of skill trees so nothing you can do is viable.

That sure sounds like almost every not Diablo 3 ARPG

A friend of mine swears Path of Exile is great but will also talk about how he sunk dozens of hours into a character only to find out it's unplayable trash

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Spacebump posted:

I wish, that sold out within 2 minutes.

Yeah said it was in stock at my local store but then when i went to put in my information for in store pickup it said it was no longer available.

I want this game but drat if I’ll pay one cent over list price for it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Diablo 3 Switch feels like it was made with the console's capabilities in mind and Titan Quest feels like it is barely holding together. This goes for TQ's original PC release as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

A friend of mine swears Path of Exile is great but will also talk about how he sunk dozens of hours into a character only to find out it's unplayable trash
that was my experience with Path of Exile and I haven't played it since :negative:

I feel like it deserves some more context, namely that the skill tree looks like this and you can't respec your character*:

*someone will inevitably butt in and say that "you can do that now!" but it's literally one(1) skill point at a time and I think you need to pay for it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Len posted:

Some let you put points into more than three skills

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kinda surprised at how not-great some games look in Clubhouse Games while in handheld mode. Playing solitaire docked feels borderline silly, almost as if it's encouraging you to take the Switch out of the dock and play on the touch screen. Then it looks rather poor if it is indeed rendered at 720p. Everything looks great docked so far, even on a rude PC monitor that exposes every little detail (or lack thereof.)

Also lol playing Piano while docked. Try it out! Why do they even let you launch it? For all the praise Nintendo always gets for polish and charm, this felt especially sloppy.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 9, 2020

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Your all nuts, Path of Exile rules and I am hoping against hope they will port the mobile version to Switch. Yeah it has a lot of "trap" options, but that is just because its a very open ended system. There are hundreds of perfectly viable builds, and guides for them in the PoE forums. Its only bad if you try to homebrew your own build without learning all the game systems.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

lol picking Titan Quest over Diablo.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Ooh, nice of Square to streamline the Sphere Grid in FFX! :newlol:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any deals on eShop cards going on right now for all the poo poo I want to buy? I plan on buying all the Wonder Boy games, including the new Monster Boy game, some AGES games and Panzer Dragoon. Oh yeah and the Konami Arcade Collection.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 9, 2020

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

you can get $50 eshop codes for $45 at Costco.com, not sure if you have to be a member

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

you can get $50 eshop codes for $45 at Costco.com, not sure if you have to be a member

Sweet, thanks. I’m thinking of becoming a member anyways regardless. I miss those $1.50 hotdogs.

EDIT: You actually don’t need to be a member to buy it at that price so everyone take advantage!

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 9, 2020

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man I hate sphere grid style skill trees so much, hell just skill trees in general suck rear end. Especially when they're full of trash like +5 strength or +10 MP. Even when not, they're visually ugly, hard to parse, overall uninteresting and it just feels like you're choosing between a few pre set paths so it's not like it adds much agency.

That and RNG based growths on stats can get absolutely hosed

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

personally I like skill trees. they do not make me mad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
When I see one I am always instantly angry!!

Most of the time it feels like they're slapping a meta game of making you crawl slowly through a board game map. All just to give you stat boosts and skills that most games include with the level up itself. That is the pay off for having to scan through sphere grids, think about optiomal paths through it, think about each character's role if trees are shared, etc

Tediousness for tediousnessess sake

homeless snail posted:

Choosing things, is good

If those choices are meaningful and rewarding sure, otherwise it's just intrusive UI for the appearance of depth that isn't there

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 9, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Choosing things, is good

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Choosing things, is good

controversial but I agree

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

homeless snail posted:

Choosing things, is good

Sure, but developers really should roll passive stat bonuses into normal levelling, rather than use them to pad out a progression tree (looking at you, DQ11).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doom 64 on sale?

It's already 5 bux normally.