Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Weirdly the thing that annoys me the most in this post is when he pointed out the origin of their logo. The 66th ID was a white unit that only served for a few months near the tail end of the war. That they effectively chose to honor this unit as opposed to, say, the highly decorated and often overlooked 761st Tank Battalion just speaks to sheer laziness more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

gently caress the black panthers, they’re full up on the anti semitic poo poo. We can raise up our black Americans without going 4th reich on Jews.

I think the Black Panthers were anti zionist and not anti semitic. Although, I will admit I only have a cursory knowledge of their history and don't feel knowledgeable enough to make a counter argument.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
This is a better club than the new black panthers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huey_P._Newton_Gun_Club?wprov=sfla1

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hekk posted:

I think the Black Panthers were anti zionist and not anti semitic. Although, I will admit I only have a cursory knowledge of their history and don't feel knowledgeable enough to make a counter argument.

What a weird way to split hairs, Comrade Hekk

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

What a weird way to split hairs, Comrade Hekk

Again, I am no expert here but there is a huge difference in saying "Stop occupying Palestinian lands!" and "Jews belong in ovens".

If I am off base here, call me out. I honestly didn't know the Black Panthers hated jews.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Here's something I've never understood. Why the Jews? Why do so many groups hate the Jews and want to eradicate them?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Hekk posted:

Again, I am no expert here but there is a huge difference in saying "Stop occupying Palestinian lands!" and "Jews belong in ovens".

If I am off base here, call me out. I honestly didn't know the Black Panthers hated jews.

There’s some strange animosity towards Jews on the far sides of the political spectrum, left and right.

Also don’t tell my Rabbi I said this but gently caress the Israeli government. Palestinian lives matter.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The problem with being god's chosen people, is that everyone else isn't.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

Here's something I've never understood. Why the Jews? Why do so many groups hate the Jews and want to eradicate them?

As a whole we tend to be more insular the more devout a Jew you are. This raises a lot of suspicion with some people. Add to that- We’re not a Christian denomination. Even the Mormons believe in Christ. We just think “Scizophrenic Jew” while lots of other folks think “Son of god, personal savior” when it comes to Jesus.

Also we do have a disproportionate amount of political power compared to our size as a whole. That definitely causes animosity.

The rest? Your guess is as good as mine. I can’t explain why a lot of my fellow Jews hate Muslims. It’s literally a mystery to me. I mean, I know the tropes as to why, but I don’t buy most of them.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Also: We were chosen. The rest of you weren’t. =P

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

There has also been some animosity throughout history due to jewish marriage laws effectively keeping them splintered off and not integrating as much as they could into the nation they're living in. Noticably different minority in a population always get singled out. (Look at how pissed people get about latinos not speaking English well enough for their personal preference.) I don't remember exactly but there was a brief bit about it in my religion class in middle school about it. Something like they were supposed to marry 2nd through 4th cousins? Its been like 20 years i don't remember exactly but if you keep yourself separate from most of the nation for any reason good or bad people will take it badly at times especially if there's tension from say a massive plague happening at the time and the Jewish population isn't getting sick or dying at the same rate as you because they do this weird witchcraft thing of keeping themselves cleaner than your nation typically does.

I don't know if those customs are the same nowadays and I'm probably wrong on most of the details

Efb

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So... They kept to themselves and didn't bother many other people, meaning they deserve extinction. And in being God's chosen people, you're... Going to get in good with God by loving those people up?

Instead of, you know, just trying what they try, being the kind of people they are, maybe learning a lesson from their religion, and minding your own loving business, you instead be a gigantic rear end in a top hat to someone who isn't doing anything to you?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Leavemywife posted:

This is a very complicated question but a lot of it comes down to Jewish being an easy target to hate for a long time in many parts of Europe, for a variety of reasons—chief among them being an easily identifiable minority with their own language, practices, and culture, being a religious minority at a time when religious tolerance was "no", and, most importantly, not being subject to Christian restrictions on usury (i.e. charging interest on loans). The last one especially is where many of the biggest stereotypes of Jewish people being money-grubbing and controlling the banks come from, as for a decent period in European history many of the most wealthy and notable financiers in Europe were Jewish. So, even though religion gradually became less important over the years in Europe, the stereotypes remained and even expanded into modern-day conspiracies about things like "Rothschild-controlled central banks."

Of course, in the 20th century it didn't help when Israel was established as an explicitly Jewish state, therefore making every sane person protesting Israel's actions have to painfully explain that they are not anti-semitic, while also trying to awkwardly edge away from the dude protesting alongside them holding a sign covered in stars of david and dollar signs.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Because the powers that be always need a "other" to distract you while they rob you. The Jews happened to be on hand for a couple millennia.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I think a lot of it can be traced back to generations of Europeans needing a quick and easy scapegoat for whatever social problems crop up.

Those funny people who roll their R's aren't dying from the plague as much as we are? Better kill them!

We need to borrow money but only the jews will lend to us due to Christian restrictions on usury? We hate them for doing business with us, we're gonna kill them!

The jews don't get leporsy as much as the Christians do? Kill them just to be safe!

The czar is catching heat for letting too many peasents starve? Blame the greedy Jews and kill them!

Stalin is catching heat for letting too many comrade farmers starve? Blame the capitalist traitor Jews and ship them off to the gulags!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A GOAT among men

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hypothesis: being historically nomadic, it was easier to subjugate or enslave them, and tribal land disputes in the middle east go back forever. However, they were historically prominent. So they were outsiders, poor, and constantly trying to cut out a place to live in MANY backyards over centuries.

Having no country, but widespread shared cultural influence garners a lot of hatred. Doubly so if you try to take poo poo by force.

See also: Romani and Black Americans.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

That's pretty rude my man

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Summer must be here, the memes are getting spicier

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

There might also be a bit of survivor bias involved, there used to be a lot more distinct subcultures/groups/sects/religions throughout Europe and the Middle East but most ended up getting wiped out or assimilating over time.

Or in other words,

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Leavemywife posted:

The *modern* roots have something to do with the fact that during the Renaissance they made out like bandits. That's when/where the whole "Jewish banker" bullshit trope began. Through money-lending, they amassed quite a lot of wealth and influence, but because they were still stateless pariahs, they couldn't own land, so they couldn't gain power and authority. What they *could* do, however, was lend money to the brand new social group called the middle class, who really didn't care whose money it was and where it came from if it gave them a chance to potentially build wealth for the first time in modern history through starting businesses. This pissed off the rich and the clergy, who rather liked having control over the rabble through fear, inescapable poverty, and scripture. If commonfolk were allowed upward mobility it threatened that control. So they utilized the 'publicists' of the day to paint Jewish communities as strange, dangerous elements of society (they resurrected poo poo like Blood Libel to scare people). And no one ever went broke pointing hateful and horrible people at easy targets (eg. Fox News/OANN).

And because they couldn't own land, they had plenty of capital to invest in other business ventures, like setting up tons of printing presses. That's where the "Jews control the media/everything" bullshit started. They made pretty much everything out of the rotten lemons that were given or hucked at them and that generally pisses powerful people off - especially if they believe *their* success was granted by Divine right. Those pricks carried a grudge all the way through to the early 20th Century, at which point others picked it up and ran with it.

The classical roots are easier and Wasabi covered them reasonably well without delving into :words:. They were easy to bully, and when you have many gods, loving with monotheists is trendy.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

egyptian rat race posted:

Summer must be here, the memes are getting spicier

It's gonna be a hot one..... and Sears is out of business

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Leavemywife posted:

So... They kept to themselves and didn't bother many other people, meaning they deserve extinction. And in being God's chosen people, you're... Going to get in good with God by loving those people up?

Instead of, you know, just trying what they try, being the kind of people they are, maybe learning a lesson from their religion, and minding your own loving business, you instead be a gigantic rear end in a top hat to someone who isn't doing anything to you?

Have you ever met a human?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Weirdly the thing that annoys me the most in this post is when he pointed out the origin of their logo. The 66th ID was a white unit that only served for a few months near the tail end of the war. That they effectively chose to honor this unit as opposed to, say, the highly decorated and often overlooked 761st Tank Battalion just speaks to sheer laziness more than anything else.

One of the most gut punchingly emotional was watching an old special about the 761st, and they had this old dude on there. He recounted how during the Battle of the Buldge, as a young Infantryman, a TD showed up, and when he saw it was an all black crew, quipped something to the effect of "The Germans must really be winning if they have N-words doing the fighting."
He broke down again recounting how much he regretted saying that, and still can't apologize enough. Said they never wavered and saved his life by taking out some armor.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Have you ever met a human?

Yeah humans don't work like that.

Give us a chance to genocide a minority group so we can control a piece of dirt in the name of a deity, and we'll do it!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Leavemywife posted:

Immigrants that don't integrate have been an issue since the dawn of civilization so it's kinda lazy to handwave it away as something that doesn't matter. Sure, it's very frequently used as a racist dog whistle but it is an issue when large swaths of people can't even communicate with government agencies or practice Cultural Norms like anti vaccination or whatever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eej posted:

Immigrants that don't integrate have been an issue since the dawn of civilization so it's kinda lazy to handwave it away as something that doesn't matter. Sure, it's very frequently used as a racist dog whistle but it is an issue when large swaths of people can't even communicate with government agencies or practice Cultural Norms like anti vaccination or whatever.

Don't forget that they were always painted with a "they always try to ingratiate themselves" bias brush as well. So when they kept to themselves, they were mysterious and scary - but when they tried to integrate into the community, they were thought of as mysterious and scary so [the community's general reaction was] :fuckoff:.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jun 10, 2020

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

bulletsponge13 posted:

One of the most gut punchingly emotional was watching an old special about the 761st, and they had this old dude on there. He recounted how during the Battle of the Buldge, as a young Infantryman, a TD showed up, and when he saw it was an all black crew, quipped something to the effect of "The Germans must really be winning if they have N-words doing the fighting."
He broke down again recounting how much he regretted saying that, and still can't apologize enough. Said they never wavered and saved his life by taking out some armor.

One of the things that gets me is that for the men of the 761st, and the 92nd Infantry Division, and the Tuskeegee Airmen, and every other African-American soldier who fought in World War II were doing it for a country that hated them. Men like Ruben Rivers, Benjamin O. Davis, and countless others would have been loving shot if they tried to buy a house in the town where I was born. Many of them conscripted, but they fought and died anyway, and in many cases had to be push to be allowed to fight, often because they desperately wanted the chance to prove that they were men and Americans like anyone else.

Some of the bravest men ever to fight for this country, and every one of them deserve to be recognized.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Time Crisis Actor posted:

That's pretty rude my man

Did the loving =P not clue you into me clearly making a joke?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

jokes don't exist anymore

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I've been told, at least as far as Christians go, its alot of this. Christians REALLY hate the thought that someone else might be the chosen people, and have displayed a tendency to go all genocidy when someone claims it.

Yes, you were clearly joking, but my point stands.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AGarlandPhoto/status/1270565427219841024?s=19

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't forget that they were always painted with a "they always try to ingratiate themselves" bias brush as well. So when they kept to themselves, they were mysterious and scary - but when they tried to integrate into the community, they were thought of as mysterious and scary so :fuckoff:.

I don't know what you think you're reading into in my post but it's cool you think you can tell a second gen immigrant to shut up about immigration and integration

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

RFC2324 posted:

I've been told, at least as far as Christians go, its alot of this. Christians REALLY hate the thought that someone else might be the chosen people, and have displayed a tendency to go all genocidy when someone claims it.

Yes, you were clearly joking, but my point stands.

No, there's a lot in the New Testament to the effect of "The Jews blew it by not recognizing Jesus as the Messiah, so they're not chosen anymore" and "The Jews are proof that it's impossible to demonstrate your chosen-ness by perfectly following the Laws of Moses -that's why God sent Jesus, making us the chosen ones" (which you only get by missing the entire point of the Old Testament prophets of the Exile)
This is what most Christians believe, though most no longer hate Jews even though they missed the Messiah and killed Jesus. (Mostly) in the past, this was the religious fig leaf used to justify a culture's anti-semitism.
Ironically, the "Let's help Armageddon along" nutbags have flipped back to the Jews as the chosen people because it makes their "Get out of Armageddon Free" card work.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 10, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Eej posted:

I don't know what you think you're reading into in my post but it's cool you think you can tell a second gen immigrant to shut up about immigration and integration

Not sure what you're suggesting here, but seeing as this is the second time you've taken umbrage with something I've said, how about you just ignore me. The emote at the end wasn't targeted at you, it was part of the post, which I've edited to clarify.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 10, 2020

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

What am I looking at aside from a screenshot of LivePD's Wikipedia entry that says "was" in the beginning but gives no indication that the show has been canceled?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One of the things that gets me is that for the men of the 761st, and the 92nd Infantry Division, and the Tuskeegee Airmen, and every other African-American soldier who fought in World War II were doing it for a country that hated them. Men like Ruben Rivers, Benjamin O. Davis, and countless others would have been loving shot if they tried to buy a house in the town where I was born. Many of them conscripted, but they fought and died anyway, and in many cases had to be push to be allowed to fight, often because they desperately wanted the chance to prove that they were men and Americans like anyone else.

Some of the bravest men ever to fight for this country, and every one of them deserve to be recognized.

One of the earliest stories I remember reading about the 761st is that Jackie Robinson was attached to them as an officer and was going to serve but got railroaded because an MP got on a power trip involving bus seating and when the white commander of the 761st refused to back down and stop protecting his man they transferred him to a unit that would let them try to railroad him for discharge and even that failed because they tried to pin drunk and disorderly conduct on the famously sober at the time Robinson.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

What am I looking at aside from a screenshot of LivePD's Wikipedia entry that says "was" in the beginning but gives no indication that the show has been canceled?

i think he's saying that they renewed it for 160 new episodes.... a month ago.... before any of this kicked off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i think he's saying that they renewed it for 160 new episodes.... a month ago.... before any of this kicked off

Another new development - they're now claiming the video (also known as evidence) of the live-taped killing of Javier Ambler has been destroyed: https://theweek.com/speedreads/919137/live-pd-says-video-showing-incustody-death-been-destroyed