Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

fknlo posted:

That black poverty spec looks like a loving Grand Prix.

Good God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How did it get that far without anyone with enough power saying "that's ugly"

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Cojawfee posted:

How did it get that far without anyone with enough power saying "that's ugly"

Without going into too much detail, I think a good comparison to help understand how design folks at BMW walk around with impunity is that episode from Southpark about a Family Guy episode getting pulled from the air, because the writers are a tank full of manatees whose emotions must be catered to at all times.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fknlo posted:

holy goddamn lol

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fknlo posted:

gently caress that's ugly and that's coming from someone that drives an ugly rear end i3. Those grills are just stupid.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the blue one doesn't look GOOD but it looks way better than the others so mission accomplished?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the blue one doesn't look GOOD but it looks way better than the others so mission accomplished?

Yeh but that’s kinda cheating since blue bmws always look better

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think this is going to backfire horribly and I cannot believe 30 year old bro's demanded this (or whoever BMW thinks this appeals to) so their car can be spotted from 500 feet away and to get more "attention".

This is so reminding me of 2003 when those fugly E60's came out. A small percentage of morons were screaming at everyone else about how "amazing" and "futuristic" it was and how BMW was now cutting edge and everyone else like me (who turned out to be right) just went :barf:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 8, 2020

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

nice car, how many miles? three pedals?

my brother is looking to buy an e82 or e88 in germany (he lives in berlin,) dont know if anyone has input about the best way to do that.

It's got almost 130k on it and sadly there's only two pedals. There are very few convertible manuals in the wild and I decided to go with the convertible cruiser for funzies. At least it's a decent auto other than a comically bad first gear. It's almost like the world's worst DSG when starting off. You either creep off at 1mph or are suddenly drag racing.

ThirstyBuck posted:

Where are you located? There is a place near me that breaks down e90s all the time and would have a ton of spares for you.

I'm about an hour north of Indianapolis. My local yards are just full of rusty trucks and GM sadness.

glyph posted:

What’s your paint code? I have a jet black/ schwartz 2 (668) e61 that could use some love that I’m keen to try the same with.

Echoing on your location, I’ve made going to the local pick and pulls— I have three I frequent— a hobby of mine, and I’d be glad to pull stuff for you. e9x stuff is popping up more and more frequently lately, even cars with the n54 still in them by the time I get to them. I live in the southern tier/finger lakes region of NY.

Back to paint for your bumper cover: did you get some rattle cans filled at your local auto paint store, or...?

Mine is 475: black sapphire metallic. I took a swing on this eBay seller who has cans and clear, and even sells bigger containers. I'm pretty satisfied so far though I still need to polish and buff and put this back together in the sunlight.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113854838940

I've managed to bring the interior back into decent shape but will definitely let you know when I give up trying to make the driver's window controls less sticky... Idk why they're so sticky.

Picture of everything after a lot of leather care and vinyl dressing. Not awful for 130k of butts. Have some leather coloring stuff I'm going to try to hide the driver seat stretch marks a bit more

Oh yeah and not pictured are some real gross seat belts. Still need to soak and see what I can get off without scrubbing them into pieces.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

fknlo posted:

Seriously, I think the Pontiac looks better. (that's a phrase that probably hasn't ever been uttered about anything other than Firebird vs. Camaro for decades)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

he's not wrong folks

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Now I want to get a new M4 and have a body shop dress it up like a Gran Prix

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait until one gets wrapped around a pole sideways and stick the engine in an actual Gran Prix.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looks more like a solstice.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Cojawfee posted:

Looks more like a solstice.

Crap, now all I see is this.

Edit to add I finally got the stupid headlight out far enough to replace the adaptive module. We'll see if I can get it back in right and cross my fingers that's one less error on the dash.

Guess which one is new and which is old!

PabloBOOM fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 8, 2020

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

wolrah posted:

Seriously, I think the Pontiac looks better. (that's a phrase that probably hasn't ever been uttered about anything other than Firebird vs. Camaro for decades)

This is wild. How many people signed off on this design? What about the test groups? This is heinous.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

PabloBOOM posted:

Idk why they're so sticky.

You don’t want to know.

QD electronics cleaner aerosol usually unsticks them without letting the smoke out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Big Taint posted:

You don’t want to know.

QD electronics cleaner aerosol usually unsticks them without letting the smoke out.
Yup that’s what I used on some sticky window switches. The PO admitted that he “sometimes spilt his drinks on the window controls”.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Thanks for the tip on that cleaner, I'll grab some.

Replaced the adaptive headlight module, and the headlight pivots once again! But the error remains. Is there something I'm missing for resetting it? It's got the 2009 iDrive system and I'm still getting lost in menus.

While waiting for my 15th layer of clear coat to dry I took my little 3m drill headlight buffer to the old pitted fog lights while they're just hanging out and god drat that's satisfying.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

PabloBOOM posted:

Thanks for the tip on that cleaner, I'll grab some.

Replaced the adaptive headlight module, and the headlight pivots once again! But the error remains. Is there something I'm missing for resetting it? It's got the 2009 iDrive system and I'm still getting lost in menus.

While waiting for my 15th layer of clear coat to dry I took my little 3m drill headlight buffer to the old pitted fog lights while they're just hanging out and god drat that's satisfying.

You might need something like Carly or Bimmercode to reset a module error? I know originally Carly was better for the E chassis, and Bimmercode better for the F chassis, but each was developing more so it may not matter.

That fog light looks good, my E90s always ended up with really clouded fogs. Don't have that problem on the F30 because I have brake cooling ducts instead!

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Alarbus posted:

You might need something like Carly or Bimmercode to reset a module error? I know originally Carly was better for the E chassis, and Bimmercode better for the F chassis, but each was developing more so it may not matter.

That fog light looks good, my E90s always ended up with really clouded fogs. Don't have that problem on the F30 because I have brake cooling ducts instead!

Thanks, I did some light googling and have a Carly on the way from Germany. Even found a random 20% coupon code so figured why not.

This morning I tried to remove the leaky wheel. :rip: my stubby extender (twisted in half like it was made of lead), as well as my 16" breaker bar, which broke at the same place. Just gonna leave some PB blaster on there until tomorrow before I run out of tools.

But hey, at least the bumper is back on and doesn't look terrible! Going to wait a week or so before polishing and see how much shine I can achieve.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/wood-dale-2003-bmw-m3-e46-manual/7138426486.html

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was just checking some stuff out and it looks like Bimmercode finally supports some e chassis cars, and Carly finally added the ability to use a DCAN cable with their app since the bluetooth adapter I bought years ago doesn't work with phone anymore. But it looks like they lock some features behind using their proprietary adapter, which is lame. At least I'm not stuck with trying to use MHD Tuner to pull codes off my car anymore. In bad news, the front right wheel speed sensor is out so I gotta replace that.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

fknlo posted:

GAH!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You can tell it's not a grand prix because the grand prix has a normal looking grill.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My friend who knows nothing about cars really likes it so it's gonna sell like hotcakes.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Keyser_Soze posted:

I cannot believe 30 year old bro's demanded this (or whoever BMW thinks this appeals to)

Chinese market. People there who spend BMW money expect a car that screams it. And unlike US/EU that is still a growth market for cars.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 10, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

My friend who knows nothing about cars really likes it so it's gonna sell like hotcakes.

Judging by the plethora of cross-overs and the general ugliness of most cars these days I have a feeling this car is gonna sell just fine. People have bad taste.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Car is ugly as gently caress in all trim levels. Pictures don't do it justice, I saw one in the flesh a few months ago (lots of michigan plated barely-disguised final test cars in SoCal) and it's loving ghastly.

On the plus side my E92 M3 just went up in value again

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Popete posted:

Judging by the plethora of cross-overs and the general ugliness of most cars these days I have a feeling this car is gonna sell just fine. People have bad taste.

I suppose we should consider ourselves lucky they're even making a new 4 series instead of just adding six more sizes of SUV to wedge in between the existing sizes

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i've never understood the purpose of the two door three series. yes let me make this practical sports sedan less practical in exchange for it uhhh uhh looking swoopier

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Pre-1 series antics of having a midsized (in european terms of sizes) coupe?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

but like isn't the point of the class to be Fun + Practical or whatever?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

SlapActionJackson posted:

Chinese market. People there who spend BMW money expect a car that screams it. And unlike US/EU that is still a growth market for cars.

I keep hearing that but doesn't the Chinese market prefer sedans? I'm hoping they still reverse it after a few years but sadly, I guess this is the start to the entire lineup having snouts. :smith:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 10, 2020

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

I keep hearing that but doesn't the Chinese market prefer sedans? I guess this is the start to the entire lineup having snouts. :smith:

The X5 will have it in 2024 watch.

Yes, and every popular vehicle usually gets an China specific extended variant with more back seat room.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

I keep hearing that but doesn't the Chinese market prefer sedans? I'm hoping they still reverse it after a few years but sadly, I guess this is the start to the entire lineup having snouts. :smith:
In the interview with new 4er designer he said that 4er isn't big enough in the "overseas market" to factor in their tastes during the design process.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i've never understood the purpose of the two door three series. yes let me make this practical sports sedan less practical in exchange for it uhhh uhh looking swoopier

Back in the E30-E46 days the overall small size of the car leant itself to a coupe format pretty well. The backseat was already small, so nixing the rear doors and focusing on the front seats made a certain amount of sense for folks looking for that sort of thing.

The E90/92 was kind of the awkward in between stage. But after the F30 and certainly with the G20 the 3-series is relatively enormous and the 2-series exists, I agree the 4-series feels like it has lost the point.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

So basically with the creation of the 4 series there was no longer a point to the 4 series. Too bad my stupid brain really likes the way the F30 generation 4 looks so much!! Can you get one with a manual?

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

There is a fairly decent bhph lot near me and they have a 2010 335i that recently showed up. It’s terrible, auto, gray over dove gray, but I’m tempted to go drive it. Please help me before I get in the well. 135k miles, 2 owners. $7500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

In the interview with new 4er designer he said that 4er isn't big enough in the "overseas market" to factor in their tastes during the design process.

....so I'm back to blaming ADD afflicted 30 year olds! :argh: Get off my lawn!