Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Glenfarclas 12 if you want a bit of sherry in there. That and the 15 are always welcome in my booze cabinet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Balvenie Doublewood works well as a bourbon alternative too

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

obi_ant posted:

Any gin drinkers around here? Is there a thread for that?

My wife's big on gin, she has a good 20/30+ different bottles. Quite a few duplicates on top of that as well.

I'm more whisky and rum.

Between us we have a ludicrous drinks cabinet. Might have to get a photo up from the last inventory, but more's been added since then (I felt there was a terrible lack of tequila and decided to rectify that with a 4 bottle order, plus a flavoured rum and gin for cocktails.).

Hauki posted:

I like Suntory's gin a lot too

sounds similar

The Roku? Yeah, that's really good. Everything Suntory make is good. Their vodka (the Haku) is unbelievably smooth and very, very dangerous.

Jato posted:

What’s a good intro scotch for somebody who has recently gotten in to whiskey but only tried bourbons so far? I started getting into bourbon in the past year and have started to really enjoy it (Wild Turkey rare breed is probably my favorite so far) but now I’m living on the other side of the ocean and scotch is a lot easier to come by. I did pick up my first bottle of Japanese whiskey today (Nikka Coffey Malt) and I’m really liking it, though the price is a little on the high side for me.

Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Talisker 10 as an introduction to smoke, Dalmore 12 for the richer sherry flavours.

Alternatively get a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask if you want to dive straight into Peat World.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Glenfiddich 12, balvenie 12 double wood, old pulteney 12, Glendronach 12, Deanston 12, would all be good/non-offensive intros.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Olpainless posted:

My wife's big on gin, she has a good 20/30+ different bottles. Quite a few duplicates on top of that as well.

What are some of your wife’s favorites?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

obi_ant posted:

What are some of your wife’s favorites?

For 'regular' gins, she's fond of Bombay Sapphire, aforementioned Roku, Beefeater 24, and Tanqueray.

Flavoured she's got a big preference for citrus flavoured stuff - Tanqueray Seville and Rangpur in particular.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Anyone ever had anything like this Archives from the Whiskeybase multi-continent whiskey? Aged 6 years in Kentucky and then 4 years in the Islay region?

I picked up a bottle and it's very good, as far as my palate goes. Big flavor like Booker's, but lighter bodied.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Petition to rename the thread

Whiskey or Whisky or Gin? Let‘s talk about them.

I don‘t have Plat powers, Isn‘t the way to go for a thread rename to report a post to the mods?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Surprised no one has recommended Glenmorangie as babby's first scotch: it's quite light, fruity, and accessible.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

^^^ I found Glenmorange way more interesting / better than Glenfiddich and Glenlivit. I came to both of those later in my Scotch journey and they are super uninspiring.

Highland Park 12 and Balvenie Doublewood were my first two scotches and I think thats a great starting point to decide which road you want to explore first (peat vs no peat).

Also, I don't see Caol Ila recommended much, but it's stood the test of time as my favorite peated scotch (more balanced than Ardbeg or Laphroig). I've yet to Try Talisker though, and I do see that come up quite often.

Pretty safe bet I'll like Talisker if I like Caol Ila?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glenmorange do some insanely good drams. I picked up a bunch when I went to their distillery.

This stuff is spectacular.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I don‘t know whether I would suggest Highland Park 12 to someone to find out whether they like peat / smoke because it‘s not very pronounced here. Some people seem to think it‘s oak flavor.

It‘s still a good entry level whisky! Having some right now. It‘s a pity the other / older Highland Parks come with a pretty sharp price increase.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Pretty safe bet I'll like Talisker if I like Caol Ila?

Probably, yes.

Talisker leans more on the peppery and perhaps maritime side of things, but it is peated. Like Caol Ila, it's more balanced in its peatiness than the Ardbeg and Laphroaig style of in your face peat punch.

I had a bottle of Talisker 57° North that I really enjoyed, I would absolutely recommend it if you find it on sale.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
To reinforce the Talisker recommendation a little more - if you ever get an opportunity, try the Talisker 18. It's a previous world-award winner and well deserved, incredibly well balanced. Doesn't break the bank either.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

On the gin chat, I've been really enjoying this COIT earl grey gin I picked up recently. It's surprising how well the tea comes through but how integrated it is in the final product, it definitely doesn't taste like those sweet tea liquors that are around. It's solid in a martini but really comes through well when making both G&T's and I did a pineapple syrup collins.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Man, talisker 10 is the only bottle I’ve ever had to just give away, could not get through that stuff. Don’t know if I had a bad bottle or not, in general I don’t love peat, but can absolutely drink something like Ardbeg Oogie, lagavulin 16, or laphroaig 10(on occasion).

But that Talisker just tasted rotten. So much like brine, and nasty sea water. I’ll have to get a sample of it at some point to see if I just had a bad bottle, because it’s pretty well liked broadly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Olpainless posted:

To reinforce the Talisker recommendation a little more - if you ever get an opportunity, try the Talisker 18. It's a previous world-award winner and well deserved, incredibly well balanced. Doesn't break the bank either.

It breaks the bank where I live.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Man, talisker 10 is the only bottle I’ve ever had to just give away, could not get through that stuff. Don’t know if I had a bad bottle or not, in general I don’t love peat, but can absolutely drink something like Ardbeg Oogie, lagavulin 16, or laphroaig 10(on occasion).

But that Talisker just tasted rotten. So much like brine, and nasty sea water. I’ll have to get a sample of it at some point to see if I just had a bad bottle, because it’s pretty well liked broadly.

Ha, it seems like everyone has at least one Islay/peater they can't stand. For me it's Ardbeg for whatever reason. It just repulses me. Bought a bottle maybe 3 or 4 years back and it's still half full.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bought Irish Gunpowder which is apparently the best gin in the world according to some. It makes a fantastic grapefruit gin & tonic, and a purty darn good martini too. The more I drink it, the more I like it. Also if you haven't tried a grapefruit G&T then I suggest you stop depriving yourself and do it immediately. If you don't like grapefruit that's okay, I don't like it either, but in a drink it's a different experience.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Neco posted:

Petition to rename the thread

Whiskey or Whisky or Gin? Let‘s talk about them.

I don‘t have Plat powers, Isn‘t the way to go for a thread rename to report a post to the mods?

In that case include rum as well. Make it the spirits thread in general if people want to discuss brandy or mezcal or something else.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Anyone have recommendations for port finished whiskeys that have reasonably distribution? The one bottle I have at home is the kavalan solist port cask, and it smells incredible and I quite enjoy it. The problem is that it's not really something you can get in the US, or at least not without ridiculous probably secondary market prices. The only widely available port cask finished whiskey that I know of is angels envy.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Looks like the Ardbeg Wee Beastie is gonna return to European stores soon! The bad news is that most stores have marked up the price. Some have it at the same price as the Corryvreckan.

I am gonna sit this one out until the price returns to a more sane level, hopefully slighly below the TEN as before.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I don't l know about this whole Caol Ila and Talisker comparison. Caol Ila tastes quintessentially Islay. Talisker tastes like, well it tastes like Talisker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TobinHatesYou posted:

I don't l know about this whole Caol Ila and Talisker comparison. Caol Ila tastes quintessentially Islay. Talisker tastes like, well it tastes like Talisker.

It's not a direct comparison, but rather an estimation that if you appreciate one, you would very likely appreciate the other.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone have recommendations for port finished whiskeys that have reasonably distribution? The one bottle I have at home is the kavalan solist port cask, and it smells incredible and I quite enjoy it. The problem is that it's not really something you can get in the US, or at least not without ridiculous probably secondary market prices. The only widely available port cask finished whiskey that I know of is angels envy.

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is quite good and should be available.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Bape Culture posted:

This stuff is spectacular.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Sweet. That's actually pretty affordable too. I'll have to pick some up next time I actually go to a liquor store

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

DoctaFun posted:

My first bottle of talisker 10 was kind of gross and tasted nothing like subsequent bottles. The only reason I even tried it again was because my brother liked the super medicinal peat taste enough to get past the taste of dirty beach and wet dog to finish it off, only to be surprised that his replacement bottle wasn't as peaty but was way more enjoyable. I say give it another try, preferably by convincing someone else to buy it and trying theirs.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

Can you find Bowman bourbon in your area? They have a port finish that's decent. Sagamore rye had a port release that, at least around me, is still around. I'm in Maryland though, both mainly distribute on the east coast.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Glendronach makes a port finished expression, I haven’t tried it but I’m a total Glendronach fanboy at this point.

Balvenie has a 21 year old Portwood expression that’s like $200+.

Glen moray has very reasonably priced expressions with all sorts of finishe, my experience with Glen moray has been very *meh*, their 25 year is great though.

The Dalmore Portwood reserve is actually a fantastic bottle and kind of flies under the radar since their other expressions get a lot of flack for all the coloring and low proof. The Portwood is like 46% though and really good.

I think cragganmore has a distillers edition that’s port finished.

The aforementioned Quinta ruban is probably the most readily available of the lot though!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

spankmeister posted:

In that case include rum as well. Make it the spirits thread in general if people want to discuss brandy or mezcal or something else.

I considered making a thread for other spirit but there is already a cocktail thread that is basically that. Whiskey chat tends to slow down at times so an occasional off topic post is fine with me but I don't think it serves a purpose to change into a thread that already exists.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah honestly I prefer keeping this the whisk(e)y thread lest it be polluted by inferior unaged spirits

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Yeah honestly I prefer keeping this the whisk(e)y thread lest it be polluted by inferior unaged spirits
but enough about bourbon

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but enough about bourbon

The nice thing about bourbon is that you can be (somewhat) confident about how it's made and what's in it. Most non-sherry/port/wine/etc.-finished Scotch is "aged" in re-used or re-re-used bourbon barrels and would be a pale straw color if they didn't dump caramel coloring into each batch. Bleh!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

but enough about bourbon

Jokes aside, you generally wouldn't want an american whiskey aged as long as a typical single malt scotch given the prevailing US climates as well as the fact that new oak barrels have a lot of wood sugars, vanillins/tannins to impart into the whiskey. Pappy 20/23yr are the exceptions, not the norm...and 15yr tastes better than either anyway.

Imagine an 18 year-old Amrut. It would probably be dark mahogany and taste like molasses. Hmm.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 11, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It's a drive by trolling, don't give it the satisfaction of responding.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

Imagine an 18 year-old Amrut. It would probably be dark mahogany and taste like molasses. Hmm.

?????????????????????? this is a problem??????

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Glendronach makes a port finished expression, I haven’t tried it but I’m a total Glendronach fanboy at this point.

The Dalmore Portwood reserve is actually a fantastic bottle and kind of flies under the radar since their other expressions get a lot of flack for all the coloring and low proof. The Portwood is like 46% though and really good.

The aforementioned Quinta ruban is probably the most readily available of the lot though!

These three are all available at total wine and within what I'm willing to spend. The balvenie is like $330 after tax so nooooope.

Radio Nowhere posted:

Can you find Bowman bourbon in your area? They have a port finish that's decent. Sagamore rye had a port release that, at least around me, is still around. I'm in Maryland though, both mainly distribute on the east coast.
West coast here. There's bowman bourbon, but at the very least total wine doesn't carry the port finish. It's possible something local to me like westland has a special release with it though.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I am totally buying all of these once I get time to go to the store since everything's open again

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Kalsco posted:

?????????????????????? this is a problem??????

Haha, I did have a second thought, but also an 18 year old Amrut barrel might literally have 10 bottles worth of whisky in it after the angels' share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

You might be able to pick up a port finished Tomintoul if you look hard enough. Underrated distillery and usually their bottles are comparatively cheap.