Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Kesper North posted:

Seattle goon checking in. What I'm worried about is ICE and the extra powers they have within 100 miles of the border and the coastline. The Army signaled clearly that it wasn't getting involved but I'm still worried that elements like ICE would be able to cow resistance quickly if they switched to live ammunition.Then everyone would start shooting at everyone else and that's the end of my old neighborhood.

The history books for the next generation are going to be really interesting if they get it right - how an extant cultural and moral divide in this country was exponentially increased and exposed by the advent of social media to the point that a conspiracy theorist faux-rich mentally ill president used it to shove his way straight to civil war.

The CHAZ could stick around or fade away, but I have a feeling that if a real no poo poo Civil War happens, it will be the Flashpoint. And thanks for those capitals, autocorrect, I love looking like I have dementia.

Edit: forgot to mention Fox News. They need to be included as one of the big brainworm inducing agitators of modern times.

"Dave Rubin calls out cancel culture!" Yeah I'll bet Dave Rubin is a racist or a rapist or both.

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

avoteforbartisavoteforanarchy.jpg

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kesper North posted:

Seattle goon checking in. What I'm worried about is ICE and the extra powers they have within 100 miles of the border and the coastline. The Army signaled clearly that it wasn't getting involved but I'm still worried that elements like ICE would be able to cow resistance quickly if they switched to live ammunition.Then everyone would start shooting at everyone else and that's the end of my old neighborhood.

Thankfully, ICE are not fa supersoldiers and do not have fa superpowers. They can set up immigration checkpoints to check immigration status. Just like any other federal cop, they can pull you over if they have reasonable suspicion you have committed a violation of federal law, immigration or otherwise. They don't get to go in your home and search it or you or your bags or your car just because they're ICE or you're within 100 miles of a border.

I don't know how much federal property there is in Seattle, but probably a whole lot less than there is in Washington DC, the federal capital, so there isn't much jurisdictional hook to send in federal law enforcement, let alone the ICE hordes.

Unless things get a _lot_ worse on the ground and in City government and in Olympia and in DoJ, having ICE retake your neighborhood is one thing you don't need to worry about.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I'm not aware of a time when the military has split so far, publicly, from a current president on current issues.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1271074187189334017?s=19

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1271077142814654464?s=19

The arguments behind closed doors must involve nuclear-level anger.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

Thankfully, ICE are not fa supersoldiers and do not have fa superpowers. They can set up immigration checkpoints to check immigration status. Just like any other federal cop, they can pull you over if they have reasonable suspicion you have committed a violation of federal law, immigration or otherwise. They don't get to go in your home and search it or you or your bags or your car just because they're ICE or you're within 100 miles of a border.

I don't know how much federal property there is in Seattle, but probably a whole lot less than there is in Washington DC, the federal capital, so there isn't much jurisdictional hook to send in federal law enforcement, let alone the ICE hordes.

Unless things get a _lot_ worse on the ground and in City government and in Olympia and in DoJ, having ICE retake your neighborhood is one thing you don't need to worry about.

They can't use a justification of "we have an anonymous tip that illegal immigrants are sheltered on these premises" ?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What if the relevant authorities that oversee federal law enforcement don't care about the legality of it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

They can't use a justification of "we have an anonymous tip that illegal immigrants are sheltered on these premises" ?

Not legally.

E:

Proud Christian Mom posted:

What if the relevant authorities that oversee federal law enforcement don't care about the legality of it.
That'll be a whole different ball game. But just looking at it from a political, logistical and practical standpoint, ICE isn't going to try to take Seattle.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 11, 2020

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They are doing better, but I still wouldn't advise - even if it were possible - driving a US-plated car through the Colombian countryside. K&R is still very much a thing.

My shop works in a couple of insecure environments, and our security guys are more freaked out about westerners traveling in Colombia than in Somalia just because Colombia is peaceful enough that you don't need full-time private security but still extremely high risk for K&R and killing of humanitarian leaders.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
ICE has been doing illegal poo poo against immigrants for a while. They’ve probably been doing illegal poo poo against citizens who fit a demographic and getting away with it.

There is nothing stopping them from illegally putting protestors in cages.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The simplest thing to worry about isn’t ICE or whatever swooping in, it’s Seattle PD deciding time’s up and violently retaking the zone.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

shame on an IGA posted:

You jest, but the statue of #MeToo'd Hardee's and Carolina Panthers founder Jerry Richardson was removed from B of A Stadium yesterday.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article243428601.html

I guess I was basing the founding of Hardee's off this normal-sounding "joined the USN, then got out and started a bunch of restaurants until one actually stuck and became a thing" dude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilber_Hardee

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm starting to notice a correlation between proper wear of gear and being a decent person in pictures of armed protesters.

It's like the lower you wear your pistol on your leg the lower regard you have for human rights other than your own.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Mustang posted:

My old unit is one of those Stryker brigades and honestly I don't think the modern US Army has a stomach for putting down any kind of civilian disturbance within the US.

Even just thinking about careers these commanders would have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.

I don't think Trump has the clout to get the active duty military to actively put down protests.

Especially when they're supported by the vast majority of the country.

Reading this made me think of a passage in an article I just read. Different country and context and probably more applicable to the NG than anything else but it still reminded me of all the poo poo going on today

Mike O'Brien, Manhood and the Militia Myth: Masculinity, Class, and Militarism in Ontario 1902-1914 posted:

Perhaps the greatest obstacle to Militia recruiting, however, was the often-problematic relationship between the Militia and the Ontario working classes.

[...]

More significant in the material sense was that one of the mandated duties of the Militia was the maintenance of domestic law and order in cases where police forces proved inadequate to the task. In practice, this usually involved intervention in industrial disputes, that intervention being in virtually all cases to the advantage of the employers. Between 1902 and 1914 the Militia in Ontario was called out nine times "in aid of the civil power," eight of those instances being strikes. For the most part, "strike duty" was extremely unpopular, one Militia officer calling it "the most disagreeable and at the same time the most thankless service that can fall to the lot of the soldier," and in particular the citizen soldier. Another officer pointed out in 1903 that no man joined the Militia in order to be "a cheap policeman," particularly artisans who might find themselves "directly opposed to [their] own personal chums, to the members of [their] own union." Militiamen often resented the fact that "pro-management magistrates" tended to call out troops when they were not really needed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

joat mon posted:

Not legally.

How would that differ from the ice raids already carried out in cities?

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Kesper North posted:

Honestly having worked with ICE before. A whole bunch of them realize that they can really only enforce laws with the consent of the governed. If they piss off to many people the blow back is massive, it's why they generally try to get in and grab quickly.

Also in the era of instant technology access a lot of them are rightfully worried about getting doxxed and having their families deal with the blowback from their job. If this movement swings around to take those clowns with it more power to it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Quick question: the administration is pretty much okay with 20,000 new cases and ~1,000 deaths per day at this point, right?
Or, for that matter, the people, too?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Quick question: the administration is pretty much okay with 20,000 new cases and ~1,000 deaths per day at this point, right?

Seems so

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The administration is probably not going to comment anymore on coronavirus at all

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Kesper North posted:

Having had to personally deal with them extensively, there's nothing to fear. If you're white.

If you're brown they are openly and horrendously racist and don't give a gently caress who sees it.

But they do seem to be remarkably cowardly so open crowd pacification I don't see them going for. Threatening to jail and deport a brown family if they don't open their doors is more their speed.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

joat mon posted:

Not legally.

E:

That'll be a whole different ball game. But just looking at it from a political, logistical and practical standpoint, ICE isn't going to try to take Seattle.

I'm not sure if you've seen who is in the White House, who is the Attorney General, and who controls the Senate, but this is the ballgame.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

A small price to pay for those sweet sweet baby back ribs at applebees.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That Works posted:

How would that differ from the ice raids already carried out in cities?

They need warrants (or :airquote:consent:airquote:) to go into a home.
Some of the raids last year in NY were thwarted by people asking to see warrants. If you know of reports of ICE doing warrantless house searches, could you send them my way?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

joat mon posted:

They need warrants (or :airquote:consent:airquote:) to go into a home.
Some of the raids last year in NY were thwarted by people asking to see warrants. If you know of reports of ICE doing warrantless house searches, could you send them my way?

Thanks for spelling that out for me!

I did not know what criteria had to be met for them to take action.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
IIRC, that’s why ICE prefers business raids. Workers lack the protections there that they would have at home.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You can get used to just about anything, it turns out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The funny thing about the CHAZ is that all they have to do is ignore it and it will eventually collapse due to a combination of boredom and leftist infighting. By making them enemies of the state like this, it just strengthens their resolve, and makes a lot of other Americans more likely to sympathize with them.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Mustang posted:

I would say the vibe of Western WA is very much not giving poo poo what other people are up to unless you're an rear end in a top hat. There's all sorts of unusual folks out here which is one of the things I like about the place.

I always felt like an outsider growing up in the South but I feel like the people here are "my people" despite many of them being very different from myself.

Fellow Southerners complain that the people here aren't friendly but it's more that they aren't the type to stop you in the middle of the street to tell you their life story.

I find people more genuinely friendly out here, I couldn't stand how overbearing "southern hospitality" was.

Everything out here was just a huge upgrade from life in the South.

Moved to central ma from southwest Virginia and every word in this post is true and accurate

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Right wing types love to talk about helicoptering soyboys, but they cower in fear before the antifa supersoldier.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stultus Maximus posted:

AVoteForBartIsAVoteForAnarchy.jpg

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I just watched the Bloody Sunday movie today. I hope we're not in for a repeat, although it looks increasingly so. :|

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/public_citizen/status/1271099152706011137?s=21

But remember all that oversight Dems fought for?

https://twitter.com/jenhab/status/1270772644833615872?s=21

Oh

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Following up on the NASCAR :qq: tweets about the treason flag, here’s this brutal own of a tweet right here

https://twitter.com/SteveHofstetter/status/1271103965682298880

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

wow, a stern letter. couldn't even afford a stern vowel

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
boo hoo Pelosi didn't appoint oversight, did you see her sick Twitter slams on Drumpf and how she took a knee while definitely not appropriating another culture as a stunt? slay queen is busy

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Stock traders suddenly rediscovered that coronavirus is a thing.

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1271124337588920324?s=19

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

https://twitter.com/awinston/status/1271123313285365761

e: i don't really know what to say.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 11, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Dana Rubinstein (@danarubinstein) Tweeted:
Three percent of New Yorkers tested for coronavirus are now testing positive, Mayor de Blasio says, up from 1 percent a day or two ago https://twitter.com/danarubinstein/status/1271083453996556292?s=20

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mlmp08 posted:

Dana Rubinstein (@danarubinstein) Tweeted:
Three percent of New Yorkers tested for coronavirus are now testing positive, Mayor de Blasio says, up from 1 percent a day or two ago

Sounds like number is going up! Mission accomplished.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

More like, where's a chiller place than this poo poo country I call home. Mostly more chill about weed altogether so I can have a few plants in a garden and no one gives a gently caress.

SE Asia seems alright, but their weed intolerance ruins the chill factor, which is probably part of why the creepy perv sex tourism is such a problem.

Canada. SE Asia / Central America and a lot of South America is gonna be uninhabitable in your lifetime.

“The Uninhabitable Earth” has me looking at Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

More like, where's a chiller place than this poo poo country I call home. Mostly more chill about weed altogether so I can have a few plants in a garden and no one gives a gently caress.

SE Asia seems alright, but their weed intolerance ruins the chill factor, which is probably part of why the creepy perv sex tourism is such a problem.

Canada. SE Asia / Central America and a lot of South America is gonna be uninhabitable in your lifetime.

“The Uninhabitable Earth” has me looking at Canada.