Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

Orson Scott Card Lifetime Achievement Award For gently caress You No More Money Ever Again Even Though I Used To Love Your Work the way certain other authors are at the moment..

As bad as OSC is, Dan Simmons may be worse. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ConfusedUs posted:

Nooooo. Ok, now I have to go destroy my love of an author. At least I already own all his stuff I like.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, Simmons really hurt.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is not to say that Dresden is good, but you're taking this very personally. Maybe take a break from this thread?

Keep in mind that the person I'm responding to is the person that said putting on makeup or driving a nice car is the same as being a White Court vampire.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah OSC has been on my list for a while. Dare I ask about Simmons...? Hyperion has been on my To Read list forever and I never did get around to reading it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah OSC has been on my list for a while. Dare I ask about Simmons...? Hyperion has been on my To Read list forever and I never did get around to reading it.

I just had this same question and uhhh....

and it sounds like this is just the tip of the iceberg.

The rest of the post is here if you want to read it

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 11, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Keep in mind that the person I'm responding to is the person that said putting on makeup or driving a nice car is the same as being a White Court vampire.

can we not do the dresden vampire rape tango again, I'm sick of this discussion and it never goes anywhere and turns into hyperbole

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i think i prefer all the big boobs of dresden to that

heck, maybe there will be a flashback and dresdens mom? she was stacked!!!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't like Dresden either but y'all are being weird about this, if you wanna start a mock thread go for it but don't poo poo up this one.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Hub Cat posted:

I don't like Dresden either but y'all are being weird about this, if you wanna start a mock thread go for it but don't poo poo up this one.

I'm sorry, someone posting about they'd love to read about Dresden drooling over underage boobs again (and of his own daughter, like the President) just pissed me right the gently caress off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm sorry, someone posting about they'd love to read about Dresden drooling over underage boobs again (and of his own daughter, like the President) just pissed me right the gently caress off.
Ah yes, because that poster definitely wasn't speculating about which parts were likely to be bad/problematic, they were absolutely talking about which parts they were looking forward to read.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Apparently he also went on a bit of a screed against Greta Thunberg.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I bought an omnibus version of the Ghosts & Magic series by M. R. Forbes.

The gist of a series is that the main character, Conor Night, is a necromancer. The setting is basically Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. Instead of mega corporations, things are run by Houses, each headed by a wizard. Conor is a “ghost” (shadowrunner) who does freelance jobs for the Houses. Of course something goes wrong and things accelerate from there.

It’s not the best series I’ve ever read. It does scratch that near-future sci-fi fantasy itch, and considering it cost 5 bucks for the omnibus I’m not going to complain.

Give it a shot if you like Shadowrun.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cicero posted:

Ah yes, because that poster definitely wasn't speculating about which parts were likely to be bad/problematic, they were absolutely talking about which parts they were looking forward to read.

Everyone posted:

that'll be good enough to keep me as a fan.

Sometimes you want great, insightful literature, the book equivalent of a gourmet vegan meal. But sometimes you just want a "chili-dawg." Butcher gives good chili-dawg.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cicero posted:

Ehhh, in Bear's defense that joke is gross and I skimmed over the post at first because of previous Dresden posts Everyone has made that I regretted reading but Bear didn't actually call out the creepy joke the first time or report the post so I'm gonna call this one a wash.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 11, 2020

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Everyone posted:

Maybe there'll be problems with it. Maybe Ivy will show up and turn out to have her own new set of "bodacious tatas" and Dresden will consider whether Maggie will get awesome tits, too, ala our own PotUS. Even with that I expect a fun, funny, trash junk read action ride. And that'll be good enough to keep me as a fan.

Let's quote the part actually being referenced and not some random bits.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Yeah, the book's probably going to have some stupid offensive bullshit in it but I like the fun parts of his writing enough that I'll read it anyway" is a completely reasonable position.

"There's plenty of books without that stupid offensive bullshit in and I'd rather read those" is also a completely reasonable position.

"Everyone who takes Position One actually is into the stupid offensive bullshit" is less reasonable.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

docbeard posted:

"Yeah, the book's probably going to have some stupid offensive bullshit in it but I like the fun parts of his writing enough that I'll read it anyway" is a completely reasonable position.

"There's plenty of books without that stupid offensive bullshit in and I'd rather read those" is also a completely reasonable position.

"Everyone who takes Position One actually is into the stupid offensive bullshit" is less reasonable.

I appreciate the ninja edit on this post.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

This is so disingenuous lol chill please

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

I appreciate the ninja edit on this post.

Sometimes my postin' finger is faster than my thoughts.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

secular woods sex posted:

I bought an omnibus version of the Ghosts & Magic series by M. R. Forbes.

The gist of a series is that the main character, Conor Night, is a necromancer. The setting is basically Shadowrun with the serial numbers filed off. Instead of mega corporations, things are run by Houses, each headed by a wizard. Conor is a “ghost” (shadowrunner) who does freelance jobs for the Houses. Of course something goes wrong and things accelerate from there.

It’s not the best series I’ve ever read. It does scratch that near-future sci-fi fantasy itch, and considering it cost 5 bucks for the omnibus I’m not going to complain.

Give it a shot if you like Shadowrun.

Ooh I think I read some of those. Are they the ones where to be a necromancer you basically have to be dying? and he has a partner in crime who dies suddenly,?

I think I quit after that one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xtanstic posted:

Hyperion is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time. I enjoy the others, too (although each is less good than the one before, and there's some problematic poo poo in the last one).

Now jump forward 20 years and realize that his novels have become thinly veiled ways to push his agenda. He's radically anti-Islam and generally holds to the typical American "conservative" archetype.

When Ilium came out, I bought it because someone told me it was a return to form. And, wonder of wonders, it was.

And then the sequel, Olympos, came out and, god loving drat is it awful. People talk all the time about how something new "ruined" something old, but that had never happened to me before until Olympos retroactively made Ilium into garbage.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Hyperion is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time. I enjoy the others, too (although each is less good than the one before, and there's some problematic poo poo in the last one).

Now jump forward 20 years and realize that his novels have become thinly veiled ways to push his agenda. He's radically anti-Islam and generally holds to the typical American "conservative" archetype.

When Ilium came out, I bought it because someone told me it was a return to form. And, wonder of wonders, it was.

And then the sequel, Olympos, came out and, god loving drat is it awful. People talk all the time about how something new "ruined" something old, but that had never happened to me before until Olympos retroactively made Ilium into garbage.

From what I can tell, Simmons was one of those people whose politics may not have been super great to begin with but who went completely batshit after 9/11.

It really is a shame because like you, I rate Hyperion really highly, and The Fall of Hyperion only slightly less highly (and, uh, the other two books also exist), and like you I thought Ilium was magnificent until Olympos came along like a big ol glob of Islamophobic poison spewing all over everything.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah Simmons went nuts post 9/11.

Also I preordered the next two Dresden books on Audible a couple of months ago while I was using up all my exisiting credits pre cancelling as part of lockdown economising. Battlefront, the second one out this year, just got cancelled (they refunded my credit obvs.) and looking online I'm not the only one.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Yeah Simmons went nuts post 9/11.

Also I preordered the next two Dresden books on Audible a couple of months ago while I was using up all my exisiting credits pre cancelling as part of lockdown economising. Battlefront, the second one out this year, just got cancelled (they refunded my credit obvs.) and looking online I'm not the only one.

I think there was a glitch or something in the system, because I heard about them cancelling the pre-orders a month or so ago but then people could immediately re-order it. I just checked and it looks like it's still available to pre-order on both Amazon and Audible.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 11, 2020

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

I get it. Every prolific reader probably has that one book/series that they just despise beyond reason. For Bi-Bear it's Dresden. For me it was Twilight. I hated the character of Bella. Just loving hated her. It was like the author drew inspiration for her protagonist from the Cow out of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Though I read the one book and didn't return for any others.

Still, I know that there's plenty of people that just loove that series. And... honestly, I just don't see any percentage in "evangelizing" against it. If somebody asks me about or it comes up and somebody asks for it, then, sure, I'll give my opinion. But otherwise, I don't see the point in antagonize somebody over it.

And yeah, I anticipate that there will likely be some stuff in this next book that I'll be more aware of. And if the creepy/cringey/Chudy stuff outweighs the good stuff, then, well, my local public library will get a big ol' donation consisting of my collection.

As for Dan Simmons, I never read Hyperion. I read Summer of Night and Carrion Comfort but that's about as far as I went.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 11, 2020

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just hope there is more Michael in this next book. He's probably my favorite character. Wondering how long the Winter Knight thing is gonna last. Maybe the rest of the series?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

mastajake posted:

I just hope there is more Michael in this next book. He's probably my favorite character. Wondering how long the Winter Knight thing is gonna last. Maybe the rest of the series?

Probably not that long as there seems to be a pretty clear exit strategy. My guess is he'll lose the mantle either right before the end trilogy starts, or very soon in to it.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Sloth Life posted:

Ooh I think I read some of those. Are they the ones where to be a necromancer you basically have to be dying? and he has a partner in crime who dies suddenly,?

Yep. I just finished book 3. It’s a decent popcorn read.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Ah that's a big bummer. :(

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xtanstic posted:

Ah that's a big bummer. :(

I wonder if Simmons even knows that the majority of the world's Muslims actually live in Indonesia and not the Middle East. The thing about the Middle East is that in some ways it's still being affected by the disaster that destroyed their civilization - the Mongol invasion of 1256.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sloth Life posted:

Yeah that's the one.

It was "fun" in the same way Sandman Slim is fun. It also has similar levels of power creep.

Connor literally becomes Death in order to defeat the "real" big bad at the end of the series.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
James Marsters announcing his return to doing Dresden audiobooks. After six years of him on Buffy (with a year on Angel, it's weird not hearing him use his (fake) British accent.

And I barely started Chapter Two before finding this exchange between Dresden and a guard (spoilers for those fanatical about such things):

“Once,” I said. “Just once, would it kill you to let security protocol slide?”

He gave me more of that blank stare, a slow blink, and said, “Potentially. Which is why we have security protocols.”

As answers to Dresden's smart-rear end go, that was pretty good one. The prose is still pretty workmanlike and he probably still doesn't know Chicago well but unless I stumble over a lot of creepy boob-lust, I'm getting some hope that this is going to be pretty good.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 13, 2020

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Everyone posted:

I wonder if Simmons even knows that the majority of the world's Muslims actually live in Indonesia and not the Middle East. The thing about the Middle East is that in some ways it's still being affected by the disaster that destroyed their civilization - the Mongol invasion of 1256.

I’m still hoping Russia and China will be able to bounce back after a few more centuries.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Two new books in the next 3 months? Or 1 new book and another something Dresden book?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Two new books in the next 3 months? Or 1 new book and another something Dresden book?

As Butcher tells it, Peace Talks was supposed to have a major swerve halfway through and he had 4/3rds of a book and difficulty editing it down, so he just split the story at the major swerve and filled in the missing third of each book. So it's two Dresden books this year, but they are a duology making one complete double-length Dresden story. We will see how well this works in a month's time.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

rndmnmbr posted:

As Butcher tells it, Peace Talks was supposed to have a major swerve halfway through and he had 4/3rds of a book and difficulty editing it down, so he just split the story at the major swerve and filled in the missing third of each book. So it's two Dresden books this year, but they are a duology making one complete double-length Dresden story. We will see how well this works in a month's time.

Figure in a month's time, people will be aching for the second book. In four months time (a month after the second book drops) they'll be wondering when Book 18 will drop - and be accusing Butcher of being GRRM for not having a release date right that second.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Does that mean the series is going to be 21 books now?

E: the swerve is that this entire time, Harry has been a homeless vietnam vet who has hallucinated everything.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I’m assuming the peace talks don’t go well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Not like we didn't have a short story from after Peace Talks already published to basically say "poo poo went bad, also people died" or anything.