Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Losing the Old Forest and the Barrowdowns was a pity though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vagabundo posted:

1995. The last thing he did that was worth a poo poo was Forgotten Silver.

All you need to see out of him is:
Bad Taste, Braindead, Heavenly Creatures and Forgotten Silver. The rest of his films can gently caress right off.
how can you not like the frighteners.

e: and you should see meet the feebles even if it's not that good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pants Donkey posted:

I do enjoy how her response to the evil house was to add a professor that was a scummy dude who only gave the time of day to students that he felt would be a good connection to benefit himself later down the road. He cleared the extremely low bar of “oppose Wizard Hitler” so good enough!

In the second movie Wizard Hitler's plan is to stop Actual Hitler, referencing the Blitz and the atom bombs. People had been mostly content to ignore the elephant in the room of 'why don't wizards use their powers to help Muggles' but not when you throw it in their face like that and also it's a dude who is totes down for some genocide himself so... yeah. Like if you played it subtle you might have had a story there but Rowling has never met subtle a day in her life so it didn't.

It's probably also worth noting Just Kidding can't even get plain ol' feminism right. In the alt-future stuff from the stage play Hermione's tipping point is not getting married and it sends her into a spiral where she has her work and nothing else.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Ghostlight posted:

how can you not like the frighteners.

e: and you should see meet the feebles even if it's not that good.

meet the feebles is loving crazy and I kind of love it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Splash Attack posted:

i actually forgot about that and you're right. my mistake. (i meant to watch it years ago and i guess now is as good as time as any.)

cassandra claire, who is now publishing under the name "cassandra clare". let me tell you, it's really weird seeing your teenage cousin reading a real, physical book with her name on it when you still remember hearing about laptopgate from when you were thirteen.

the other big name harry potter fan that i also see writing for daily beast or something now is aja romano, and i remember her best for trying to burn a t-shirt in protest of livejournal and failing.

they were also tangentially involved in the msscribe saga in which a lady basically sockpuppeted her way into becoming their bff because she wanted to be part of the cool kids circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DZd78WLQY

You forgot the bit where Cassandra Claire straight up plagiarized portions of an older children's fantasy series, probably because she thought she could get away with it since it was out of print at that time. That's what got her fanfiction.net account banned, and caused a whole torrent of drama. Though at least she had the good sense to remove those portions from her Draco Trilogy when she repurposed the story for The Mortal Instruments.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 11, 2020

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Captain Invictus posted:

Tom Bomba dip is the worst part of those books so I'm glad it was excised from the movies like the literary tumor that whole section is

I liked that part of the books but I'd have hated whatever the movie version of that would have been.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

In the second movie Wizard Hitler's plan is to stop Actual Hitler, referencing the Blitz and the atom bombs.

It's either his actual plan or the lie he's using to recruit followers but because the second prequel is so amazingly loving bad you can't really tell.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

he's not like a bigot or anything like that. he's just actively worked to erode film worker's rights in new zealand, consumed millions in government money for vanity projects, and has spent most of his clout blocking an entirely legal housing development that's already gone through public consultation because it would ruin his view.

And he hasn't made a good movie since 1996.
Eroding workers rights is just as a bad as being a bigot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Fortunately(?) Fandom Lore will never let us really forget about the Cassandra Claire Plagiarism Debacle.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's either his actual plan or the lie he's using to recruit followers but because the second prequel is so amazingly loving bad you can't really tell.

It's meant as a way for him to make anti muggle sentiment rise. In effect it's a giant mess, and far from the worst one in that movie.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The LotR film trilogy absolutely slaps although attributing it only to Peter Jackson is making the same mistake people made when they assumed George Lucas had any idea of how to make a Star Wars film back in 1999.

The Hobbit films were trash due to many factors, but it basically boils down to 'the studio has decided it should be 3 new films exactly like the original trillogy except our source material is one slim childrens novel' coupled with 'hell yeah lets film in 3D and at twice the frame rate' making it imposible to use the impecably crafted minatures and forced perspective special effect techniques that made the LotR movies still hold up visually today.

I remember coming out of each LotR movie excited for the extended DVD release, they had so much ground to cover it was imposible to do so a theatrical length. Naturally they managed to scrape together 8 mins or so of extra footage to try and give the Hobbit movies the same treatment despite them already being drawn out boring pieces of poo poo.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Zedd posted:

It's meant as a way for him to make anti muggle sentiment rise. In effect it's a giant mess, and far from the worst one in that movie.

I still have no loving idea what happened in that movie. Things just seemed to happen in a disjointed fashion and I had no idea why anything was happening.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr Phillby posted:

The LotR film trilogy absolutely slaps although attributing it only to Peter Jackson is making the same mistake people made when they assumed George Lucas had any idea of how to make a Star Wars film back in 1999.

The Hobbit films were trash due to many factors, but it basically boils down to 'the studio has decided it should be 3 new films exactly like the original trillogy except our source material is one slim childrens novel' coupled with 'hell yeah lets film in 3D and at twice the frame rate' making it imposible to use the impecably crafted minatures and forced perspective special effect techniques that made the LotR movies still hold up visually today.

I remember coming out of each LotR movie excited for the extended DVD release, they had so much ground to cover it was imposible to do so a theatrical length. Naturally they managed to scrape together 8 mins or so of extra footage to try and give the Hobbit movies the same treatment despite them already being drawn out boring pieces of poo poo.

The LOTR movies tend to drag too much for me, I found the first two Hobbit movies to be a lot more fun for my own interests. There was a lot of fun chase/action sequences that I really enjoyed. And all the Smaug scenes in the second were wonderful. But that being said, I still haven't seen the third one cause I heard Smaug dies in like the first 10 minutes and I lost literally every ounce of interest I had in seeing it :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm still not clear what The Crimes of Grindlewald is about. It's not about the crimes of Grindlewald though.

Mr Phillby posted:

The second Hobbit film is really improved by the Extended Edition because it gets a better (and more book-accurate) Beorn scene, more time in Mirkwood with the enchanted stream and some more interesting stuff at Dol Guldur. It's not enough to save the film, especially since all of the garbage that drags down the theatrical version is still there, but it does try.

Then the third one adds in Balin using a repeater bolt thrower to mow down wargs while unconvincingly claiming that he's too old for this poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I remember feeling bad at the time for Evangeline Lilly who was very clear 'don't put me in a love triangle.' And then.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grindelwald's plan in the second film seemed to be using Mass Effect Reaper logic. "Muggles will kill themselves in another world war so we must kill all the muggles to stop a world war by making a world war of our own!"

At least that's what I got from it. His whole speech took less time than Zoe Kravitz's tragic "I swapped my baby brother the night the Titanic sank" backstory that happened thirty seconds earlier and only ended when Dan Fogler walked into the scene, said nothing, and opened a door to the Wizard Nuremberg Rally scene.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Dawgstar posted:

I remember feeling bad at the time for Evangeline Lilly who was very clear 'don't put me in a love triangle.' And then.

"Why does it hurt so much?"

"...Because it was real!"

What the gently caress does that even mean?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B60deu1PS_w

Civvie part 2 of Thief.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

All you need to see out of him is:
Bad Taste, Braindead, Heavenly Creatures and Forgotten Silver. The rest of his films can gently caress right off.

You're telling me Meet the Feebles (1989) featuring the two and a half minute song Sodomy isn't his cinematic opus?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Iambic Pentameter posted:

You're telling me Meet the Feebles (1989) featuring the two and a half minute song Sodomy isn't his cinematic opus?

There's not much there beyond a gimmick that isn't strong enough to carry a full length feature film.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Is there any artist who was good at making joyfully stupid juvenalia who was able to keep making good poo poo when they got embarrassed and started being respectable ?

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Braindead / Dead Alive is so loving good

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Bonaventure posted:

Is there any artist who was good at making joyfully stupid juvenalia who was able to keep making good poo poo when they got embarrassed and started being respectable ?

Raimi

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
ehhhhhh...

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

Bonaventure posted:

Art Spiegelman?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

wouldn't a russian wizard school have been burnt to the ground by stalin

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

No, wizards in the Harry Potter series are capable of hiding whole towns if they lived in dense enough areas.

I mean, she put a little thought into the England part.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Bonaventure posted:

does following up murder party with blue ruin and green room count? because all three are amazing but it’s an immense tonal shift

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

three things I always wanted to see in Harry Potter.

1: What happens to the muggle born kids who feel through the cracks and were never detected by the Ministery of Magic

2: THe magic kids who are home schooled. THeres gotta be off the grid wizards.

3: The one kid who despite being told that electronic devices will not work on Hogwarts grounds, brought their gameboy anyway and is spending a lot of time in trying to get it to work.

Also, the idea that an American wizard school would use native american names....what? Historically speaking, this would not be happen. THey would be named after like...guys who led armies in the American Magic civil war or something.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 11, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bonaventure posted:

slowbeef and diabeetus? Around gamergate you could see a pivot up to the point where they dropped the original premise of the channel (mocking bad LPs) and still put out solid videos poking fun at things like Other M or weird adventure games.

ggdg is another example, making meme comics until she worked on Cucumber Quest and some good one-shot comics.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

watho posted:

does following up murder party with blue ruin and green room count? because all three are amazing but it’s an immense tonal shift

murder party is legitimately one of my favorite comedy horrors. its on netflix right now and its a dressing down of art students that never takes itself seriously and only occasionally dips a little too far into "ugh modern art am i right" jokes and instead goes for the jugular eviscerating their personalities

i feel like raimi made like 4 good movies in his career and one was by accident and was "good" not good

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, the idea that an American wizard school would use native american names....what? Historically speaking, this would not be happen. THey would be named after like...guys who led armies in the American Magic civil war or something.

I mean, I dunno. There's still a lot of things around the northeast (where the American wizard place is supposed to be) with native american names. Just because white Americans essentially committed genocide against the native population doesn't mean they can't steal their words for things.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

fun hater posted:

i feel like raimi made like 4 good movies in his career and one was by accident and was "good" not good

Incorrect. All 3 Evil Dead movies are masterpieces, Spider-Man 2 is the best superhero movie ever made, A Simple Plan is real good, the Gift is mostly good and Drag Me to Hell rules.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

3: The one kid who despite being told that electronic devices will not work on Hogwarts grounds, brought their gameboy anyway and is spending a lot of time in trying to get it to work.

magical diary does some fun stuff with that in one of its routes. the series is interesting in general because despite being a loving pastiche of harry potter fanfic (the default player names are "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu") it manages to have much more interesting and coherent worldbuilding than the series it was inspired by

for instance: the family of "wildseeds" (the equivalent to muggleborn) have a tendency to forget things about the kids that get sent to magic school due to all the anti-magic-perception glamours that exist. One main character discovers that her (already strained) family thinks they sent her away to a school for juvenile delinquents because she did something awful, and she winds up having their memories of her wiped away completely because that's less painful than the alternative

speaking of memory wipes, if you happen to be a wildseed that fucks up and threatens the masquerade you get your magic taken away and have your memory completely wiped of anything magic-related, potentially including years of your life at the school. This also happens if you get expelled due to doing badly on your exams, or breaking rules that none of the faculty bothered to tell you about, which is bad news for you if you have a heart condition that you've been treating with magic, and the memory-wiping means you're no longer getting even the mundane medicine you need...

both of these are implied to be relatively commonplace, but unlike Harry Potter, it's treated as a unjust societal ill that's incredibly hosed up, and multiple characters end the game acknowledging that poo poo needs to change

fun hater
May 24, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Incorrect. All 3 Evil Dead movies are masterpieces, Spider-Man 2 is the best superhero movie ever made, A Simple Plan is real good, the Gift is mostly good and Drag Me to Hell rules.

i only care about darkman, in the end

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did forget about Darkman. I don’t know why. It’s an all timer but I just have Evil Dead on my mind all the time so idk

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The Ash vs Evil Dead show was pretty good, I thought.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

three things I always wanted to see in Harry Potter.

1: What happens to the muggle born kids who feel through the cracks and were never detected by the Ministery of Magic

2: THe magic kids who are home schooled. THeres gotta be off the grid wizards.

I can see it. Americans baptize their missiles, helicopters and such with native american names. Their way of trying to claim ancestral tradition to compete with old-world colleges just might be this.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

fun hater posted:

murder party is legitimately one of my favorite comedy horrors. its on netflix right now and its a dressing down of art students that never takes itself seriously and only occasionally dips a little too far into "ugh modern art am i right" jokes and instead goes for the jugular eviscerating their personalities

yeah the entire clusterfuck trilogy is in my top 10 for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Casey Finnigan posted:

The Ash vs Evil Dead show was pretty good, I thought.

It's pretty good.