Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Fojar38 posted:

Literal Hitler is the final boss of Persona 2 IIRC?

Something about Nyarlathotep being his Persona (or was Hitler Nyarlathotep's Persona?)

Though he's technically the 2nd to last boss fight since there's another form after that.

The plot of Persona 2 revolved around rumors becoming reality if enough people believed in them, meaning that weird conspiracy theory stuff about Hitler and an army of Nazis surviving and fleeing to a secret base in Antarctica, ancient alien UFOs connected with the Mayans, etc, all actually became true just because a lot of people believed them from reading a popular book. (iirc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Persona 2 isn't that sluggish in the gameplay department. It's pretty much par for PSX rpg's that don't have the good sense to be Vagrant Story. Persona 1 is virtually unplayable though and I can't emphasize how badly - for reference I have a lot of enmity for P5 and I still can't say I like it less than P1.

If... just got fan translated and it's sort of the spiritual prequel to Persona mashed with traditional SMT and it's markedly more bearable than 1.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

afaik the PSP localization for IS is really solid work, though unfortunately the PSP remake for EP never got tled so the only english version is the old PS1 game :(

persona 2 gameplay-wise is kinda sluggish but i feel like the PSP versions try their best to have some extra QoL! and the writing and music for P2 are great! :)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Fojar38 posted:

Literal Hitler is the final boss of Persona 2 IIRC?

Actually, ironically, metaphorical Hitler is the final boss. Not literal Hitler.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stroth posted:

Actually, ironically, metaphorical Hitler is the final boss. Not literal Hitler.

In other words he's literally metaphorical Hitler.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I had to set the difficulty to Merciless to beat the Big Bang boss.

Such a weird thing to have to do, I was even overleveled going into it.

I just couldn't last the waves retreating and being resummoned.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

Ryuji is at least neatly divided between Cutscene Ryuji and Social Link Ryuji.

I'd actually say he's divided between pre-Okumura palace story and after that palace plus social links. He pretty much entirely stops being dumb after that and realizes he was being dumb before.

Also I agree with the posts that think Yosuke is mostly pretty good as a character, though my recollection could be off some. I don't remember him getting into actual unethical territory (like Teddy) about the girls; I just remember him saying things to the protagonist like "yo Yukiko's pretty hot, right?" which is pretty normal teenager stuff. There's a big difference between saying that sort of thing directly to the person and saying it to someone else (in that the former is sexual harrasment while the latter is just kinda tacky in a way that is extremely normal for a teenager). I could be misremembering though, it's been a while.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there is the bit where he produced bikinis for the girls during the camping trip, which come to think of it raises some questions as to how he found the right size

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Oxxidation posted:

there is the bit where he produced bikinis for the girls during the camping trip, which come to think of it raises some questions as to how he found the right size

The kid probably just stole took every size bikini they had at Junes to cover all his bases.

At least, that's what a believable lovely teen would do.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

seiferguy posted:

Are Personas 1-3 any good and worth a playthrough? 5 was my intro to the series so I'll probably consider getting P4G.

Persona 3 has aged poorly. Imagine trying to play persona 5 but with no helpful map where you can quickly move from place to place. You have to manually walk everywhere which is really hard to go back to. There is only one dungeon it's 260 floors and all procedurally generated so sorta imagine if persona 5 had no map and was only mementos with no cat bus.

For its time persona 3 was a great game but it just didn't age very well.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Also I agree with the posts that think Yosuke is mostly pretty good as a character, though my recollection could be off some. I don't remember him getting into actual unethical territory (like Teddy) about the girls; I just remember him saying things to the protagonist like "yo Yukiko's pretty hot, right?" which is pretty normal teenager stuff. There's a big difference between saying that sort of thing directly to the person and saying it to someone else (in that the former is sexual harrasment while the latter is just kinda tacky in a way that is extremely normal for a teenager). I could be misremembering though, it's been a while.

There's all the lovely "oh I dunno if I wanna sleep in the same room with Kanji" stuff as well.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

Persona 3 has aged poorly. Imagine trying to play persona 5 but with no helpful map where you can quickly move from place to place. You have to manually walk everywhere which is really hard to go back to. There is only one dungeon it's 260 floors and all procedurally generated so sorta imagine if persona 5 had no map and was only mementos with no cat bus.

P3P really helps smooth the transition, but it is still a game that is very long in the tooth. I would love to see the tone and themes (not to mention soundtrack) of P3P revisited, but going back to play it in its current incarnations is definitely a chore.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think the worst thing about going back to P3 would be the inheritance rules. Cancelling and reselecting your fusion for 10 minutes just so you can inherit the right set of skills was great.

Running around the world wasn't too bad because the soundtrack was lit as gently caress, and you always saw when the NPCs and their little plots updated.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think the worst thing about going back to P3 would be the inheritance rules. Cancelling and reselecting your fusion for 10 minutes just so you can inherit the right set of skills was great.

Running around the world wasn't too bad because the soundtrack was lit as gently caress, and you always saw when the NPCs and their little plots updated.

Also the exhausted mechanic or whatever it was called.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

There's all the lovely "oh I dunno if I wanna sleep in the same room with Kanji" stuff as well.

Yeah, all of Yosuke's real bad poo poo is how awful he is to Kanji. Mocking a dude trying to figure out his sexuality is awful.

When it comes to women it's just the bikini thing and signing them up for the pageant without their consent, I think.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, all of Yosuke's real bad poo poo is how awful he is to Kanji. Mocking a dude trying to figure out his sexuality is awful.

When it comes to women it's just the bikini thing and signing them up for the pageant without their consent, I think.

And the second one was mostly a joke, only being an issue due to the absurdly dumb "no one can withdraw" silliness.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dawgstar posted:

Also the exhausted mechanic or whatever it was called.

I dunno. I liked the exhaustion mechanic. It just did a very bad job of trying to reign people in from blitzing Tatarus each month and compounded feelbads from not being able to direct control your teammates.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AlternateNu posted:

I dunno. I liked the exhaustion mechanic. It just did a very bad job of trying to reign people in from blitzing Tatarus each month and compounded feelbads from not being able to direct control your teammates.

It could have easily been replaced with better division of Tartarus. Say, by making the specific blocks more uniformly designed and setting it up so that the Full Moon Shadows only appear or are only possible to defeat after flipping a switch or grabbing an item from the block of the month. Just having your team decide that they’re too tired to continue at arbitrary points only breaks immersion more. Even removing the heal from returning to the ground floor would put a much more natural limit on exploration.

Ideas like that were done for 4 and 5, so clearly Atlas learned some important lessons on what not to do after 3.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

The first is the worst thing he does yeah, and sadly believably lovely of him as a teenager at the time. The kind of follow up issue is that because they removed his romance path you lose out on the revelation that he’s actually struggling with his own sexuality and attraction to the main character.

Especially when parts of that still exist in game. One of the things that gets social points with Yosuke is answering “I don’t like girls.” To a question of what sort of girl you find romantically attractive.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 12, 2020

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Remind me, wasn't Atlus about to do another PSP port for Persona 4 only to have Sony persuade them to wait and put it on the Vita later?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I know this has been alluded to but how much more mechanically problematic is P4G compared to P5R? Royal was my first game in the series after bouncing off SMTIV and I’m definitely gonna buy P4G today and throw it on the backlog for when I beat 5/the Yakuza Collection/FFXII/DQXI/etc etc and I’m curios specifically how the mechanics have aged, I saw someone say it makes SP conservation harder?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is no gear to conserve it but you can just buy full recoveries just outside the dungeon.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I kind of hate Yusuke because he comes off as such a massive poser. Like his entire social link arc is basically a combination of "I am moody" and "Is selling out bad?". As someone whose lived out the whole starving routine, his characterization comes off as an incredibly shallow and archtypical understanding of that lifestyle. Which I would imagine can probably be said by most of the characters.

Like for example, they joke around about Yusuke being broke and having no money. But that's never actually a problem for him. He never suffers any actual negative repercussions for being poor as gently caress, outside of being the buttend of a joke. It basically glorifies and then handwaves away the suffering, without actually engaging with the issues that come with it. This ties in with the whole incredibly shallow "revelation" where basically his logic train is "well humans are good and bad, therefore so is art, and so making money off it doesn't diminish it's quality."

Like, if I could rewrite his S-Link plot, the premise would center around him still having that "art must not be tainted by material wealth" perspective, except to challenge it by making his lack of financial assets an actual burden. Rather than him getting a rent free dorm, have him get a modest apartment only too eventually get evicted from it due to not having enough money to pay rent, being forced into basically a coffin apartment. Yet, even to afford that he must spend large amounts of time working part-time which drains him physically and emotionally so he can't work on his art anymore. Eventually through advice from Joker, he decides to accept one of the offers to monetize some of his art. He realizes that it's not so bad, but kind of gets carried away with it until he's called out for behaving like his former master. At this point he experiences true character growth as he sees how his master's desires became so distorted by walking through a simialar path of suffering and temptation, and gains an appreciation for the balance of the artistic soul not for the sake of creating an idealised version of art, but for practical reality of what it takes to be a full-time artist.

I know it's kind of unfair to complain about what a character isn't instead of what he is. But honestly what he is, isn't really anything noble, and I wish he was something else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Frog Act posted:

So I know this has been alluded to but how much more mechanically problematic is P4G compared to P5R? Royal was my first game in the series after bouncing off SMTIV and I’m definitely gonna buy P4G today and throw it on the backlog for when I beat 5/the Yakuza Collection/FFXII/DQXI/etc etc and I’m curios specifically how the mechanics have aged, I saw someone say it makes SP conservation harder?

P5R obviously has a lot more QoL changes, but P4G is actually pretty comparable to base P5. You'll likely need a couple of trips to beat the first dungeon and maybe the second, but after that you should be able to plow through each one in a day. P5R just made it much easier to do every dungeon in a day by adding things like Will Seeds and Traits. Aside from that, P4G is actually pretty mechanically up to date (you'll want to level the Hermit SL to make SP recovery less expensive, but that's about it) and you even get some things you don't get in P5, like your party members getting new skills via their SLs and bike dates, or costumes for everyone without using DLC.

One note is that P4G does have a few more 'secret' side quest chains and the like that you won't find without a guide or just running around talking to everyone. None of it is really that vital, I think maybe just some joke armour and maybe some Knowledge/Courage points.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113000/Persona_4_Golden/

Nice, $20 isn't bad at all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yeah that was an instabuy for me at that price.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah that was an instabuy for me at that price.

Same here, I said I would buy it off the bat if it was 30 or less, 20 dollars is a steal for so much play time. Also this is one of the rare cases where I do want to show support and hope for more releases from Atlus on steam soon. So far it runs well and seems to be a good port. The game looks pretty good too! Some people were reporting some performance issues already but it has ran perfect for me so far but I have a beefy system.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Frog Act posted:

I really don't know what you mean by mechanically problematic, but I can tell you it's much simpler than P5. No demon negotiation, randomly generated dungeons and a menu-style overworld. It's fun, and probably a better intro to SMT mechanics than 5, so you'll know what you're doing pretty much immediately.

I honestly don't think SMT mechanics have "aged" much since Nocturne. P5 is a regression back toward complexity if anything, one I'm very much in favor of.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ToxicToast posted:

Same here, I said I would buy it off the bat if it was 30 or less, 20 dollars is a steal for so much play time. Also this is one of the rare cases where I do want to show support and hope for more releases from Atlus on steam soon. So far it runs well and seems to be a good port. The game looks pretty good too! Some people were reporting some performance issues already but it has ran perfect for me so far but I have a beefy system.

That sounds great. I'm looking forward to getting the Golden improvements and playing at a proper resolution that doesn't make my eyes sad.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

I was watching some footage of p4g recently and thinking how dated it looked, so its cool to see how much they've managed to pretty it up for the pc release.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Be forewarned, the anime cutscenes in P4G on Steam run really badly. The rest of the game is great but me and a lot of others on Twitter are noticing heavy stuttering during cutscenes. Doesn't seem to be based on the spec of the PC

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Be forewarned, the anime cutscenes in P4G on Steam run really badly. The rest of the game is great but me and a lot of others on Twitter are noticing heavy stuttering during cutscenes. Doesn't seem to be based on the spec of the PC

I saw this until I re-enabled VSync. VSync off gave me some stuttering/tearing in cutscenes and the occasional flicker on the character model when in game. With VSync enabled, both cutscenes and gameplay are smooth. Interestingly the game runs at 144Hz with VSync, matching the monitor's max frequency, not 30 or 60Hz as I'd expected for a PS2 game.

Performance seems fine, a solid 144 fps, with everything turned up at 1440p on a pretty recent system. Looks pretty nice too, though the textures show their age. Radeon Image Sharpening seems to help a bit with the textures.

Wish it had an ultrawidescreen mode, 3440x1440 would be nice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Boy hearing "Dojima" pronounced like that sure is jarring after playing like a billion Yakuza games.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

DrNutt posted:

Boy hearing "Dojima" pronounced like that sure is jarring after playing like a billion Yakuza games.

I wouldn't mind seeing nanako's dad toss a punk into a river or blow up a giant pile of money on top of the millenium tower. He and Kiryu and Date would probably get along.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.

v1ld posted:

Wish it had an ultrawidescreen mode, 3440x1440 would be nice.

This is my biggest want. I hope someone creates a fix soon and with a game this popular I think someone will.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Playing at 4k and 144hz is kinda wild. It looks so smooth I kinda want a 30 fps mode.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I got a Vita, PSTV, and I still bought this poo poo to play on PC.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
both vita lovers and vita haters can join hands knowing that buying it on the pc means more smt games on pc and exactly the same number on vita

it does look excellent too

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

DropsySufferer posted:

Yeah, Persona 4 has aged very well, but they hadn't quite figured out things yet for Persona 3. The fatigue mechanic for Persona 3 was also annoying, because it meant you had to manage things very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Zvahl posted:

both vita lovers and vita haters can join hands knowing that buying it on the pc means more smt games on pc and exactly the same number on vita

it does look excellent too

I actually own it on Vita and I'm not ashamed to say I instabuyed it on PC because A: Large screen and B: Anything to encourage Atlus to make PC ports is a good thing.

Especially for just twenty bucks. I was honestly half expecting them to go for the full 60$ and a press release amounting to "What are you gonna do about it, buy a Vita?"