Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Honestly I hated all the fight sections where the boss leaves melee range for an extended period of time, especially if that time seems to be random. Like, I saw some blind streams of people fighting Air Buster and he'd fly around for about thirty seconds or a minute and then come back to the walkway. For me, with Barret unloading on him the whole time, he floated around out of melee for like five goddamn minutes. Which means Barret is taking all the attacks because switching to anyone else is pointless, and nobody else can contribute any healing or anything else because they're just standing around with their thumbs up their butt and no ATB. And yeah, Leviathan without a ranged weapon on Barret sounds awful.

Edit: Like, they're similar to the Paling phases for bosses in XII that people often hated, where you couldn't damage the boss. But in that game it was clearly designed to be a "ok, now it's time for you to go on the defensive", and you could still perform actions like healing, put up defensive buffs, etc. That does not work in VIIR's battle system, where you can't do anything without getting attacks in. Adding extended phases where you have no agency is just frustrating.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Lobok posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't know either. I had Barret casting spells but it was really annoying trying to stay out of the way of those three waterspouts chasing me around. Is it too high up for Tifa and Cloud to melee? Not sure I even tried.

It is, yeah.

It doesn't help that the melee characters in this game are by far the most fun to play with.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Is the accepted acronym for this game FFVIIR or just VIIR? I kinda like FFVIIR since when I see 'VIIR' it looks like the name of some awful men's cologne.

I'm in Chapter 8 now, doing sidequests, and I am just... I really don't have words for how much I'm enjoying this game. The thing is, I've been feeling extremely bored and disengaged from gaming in general lately, and I've felt that way for at least 5 or 6 years. The last hyped/big-budget game that I remember feeling excited about and playing with some enjoyment was maybe Bioshock Infinite, or Borderlands 2? And neither of those were especially great - but I could play them and have fun, which is more than I can say for almost all the games out there. I feel that the issue has not been that quality of the games so much as it is me, or that's been my thinking. Otherwise the only good gaming experiences I've had lately have come from unexpected/indie sources, and have been fairly unconventional or 'retro' in terms of gameplay. The one game I remember buying and actually feeling like I played something worthwhile was like... Everyone's Gone to the Rapture? Undertale was good. None of these games came close to blowing me away, but I could at least enjoy playing them without feeling insanely bored or like I'm throwing away perfectly good time.

My point is that it's been an extremely long time since I played a game remotely as ambitious, epic, and full of expectation as this one. The last time I had this feeling was like... When I saw "The Wizard" when I was like 6, and was just INSANELY excited for Super Mario Bros 3 - and like FFVIIR, it lived up to and then exceeded the HIGH bar that it had set for itself with that movie.

I'm really kind of blown away by it all though, because I honestly didn't think I'd ever enjoy a video game like this again. I mean, it's bean decades, literally, since I enjoyed a game this much. Honestly, the last time was 21 years ago when I played FFVIII for the first time in the seventh grade. I don't remember much about my life during middle school *thank god* but I actually remember playing that game and bringing it in and lending it to a friend.

But I really must admit that this game really keeps surprising me. (mild spoilers based on chapter 8 speculation) It feels steeped in nostalgia and oddly self-aware about the fact that it's a remake. I've avoided spoilers but frankly, the very fact that there ARE spoilers is kind of a spoiler, no? I doubt they'd consider extended scenes of Jessie flirting with Cloud a spoiler, and there''s obviously some weird meta-poo poo going on with those phantoms. I'm honestly intrigued and dig the variance. This isn't the first time around for all of us, so it makes some sense to me to see Cloud having flashes of the future. Or is it the past?

I am so into this game right now. The only thing bothering me is that I keep thinking stuff like, "Oh yeah. Wutai! I can't wait till we get there!" And then realizing that it'll be like 2 or 3 years if we're lucky until we get there. If ever. :(

kaworu fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 11, 2020

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've been in a similar boat where I've just not felt terribly engaged by the direction games have been going for quite a while now. I have no interest in Battle Royale games, I'm well beyond sick of meaningless grind games like Destiny and Division, I loathe that so many games are primarily platforms for microtransactions now, and I resent that even games I WAS interested (Destiny, for quite a while) made themselves aggressively unfun so as to chase a niche esport scene that was never going to be interested in them.

FF7R is such a breath of fresh air. I think the last game I played that felt like it had this much heart and care and craft put into it was Nier: Automata (which anyone who likes the combat and materia systems if 7R should play). The characters here actually make me care. The story paces itself well, with high intensity moments and decompressed moments. The battle system has fantastic depth, and each of the playable characters feels like it could have been the sole playable character of a lesser game that focused only on their unique abilities.

This game is the result of craftspeople at the height of their mastery doing something they care about, having been given the freedom to explore what they want to, mechanically and narratively, and it really shows. It blows so many other games out of the water right now, and makes them look like soulless cash grabs by comparison.

The fact that it unabashedly deals with relevant political and social issues in a mature and thoughtful way, and actually asserts an opinion about them, is INCREDIBLE in this day and age. Just look at Ubisoft's mealy mouthed statements about the Division series being completely apolitical and compare it to 7R's presentation of sickening capitalist malfeasance and the psychic toll of choosing the life of the ecoterrorist exile because the planet is being used up for money and its lower caste people being ground up like meat. FF7R is in every way the glistening Chad to the gaming industry's sea of clammy Virgins.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

Honestly I hated all the fight sections where the boss leaves melee range for an extended period of time, especially if that time seems to be random. Like, I saw some blind streams of people fighting Air Buster and he'd fly around for about thirty seconds or a minute and then come back to the walkway. For me, with Barret unloading on him the whole time, he floated around out of melee for like five goddamn minutes. Which means Barret is taking all the attacks because switching to anyone else is pointless, and nobody else can contribute any healing or anything else because they're just standing around with their thumbs up their butt and no ATB. And yeah, Leviathan without a ranged weapon on Barret sounds awful.

Edit: Like, they're similar to the Paling phases for bosses in XII that people often hated, where you couldn't damage the boss. But in that game it was clearly designed to be a "ok, now it's time for you to go on the defensive", and you could still perform actions like healing, put up defensive buffs, etc. That does not work in VIIR's battle system, where you can't do anything without getting attacks in. Adding extended phases where you have no agency is just frustrating.

You can use offensive magic in this game. It’s the green Materia.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

WaltherFeng posted:

Wow Leviathan is very unfun fight. Ill do this when Im OP as hell.

You can do it when you've done all of the other available side-quests before the "once you do this you can't go back!' point.

edit: man some fights just loving killed me. You save up 2 atb points and use them on some super-move and as soon as you press the button the enemy dodges and your super-move dumbly executes on thin air.

My other favourite is using up 22 mp on some -aga spell and as soon as you use the mp you get hit and go flying and you never even cast the loving spell. Or you cast it and the bad guy just dodges it

redreader fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 12, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can use offensive magic in this game. It’s the green Materia.

Yeah but you generate ATB by attacking, and if you can't attack, you get to cast one spell a minute maybe? And you might need to use that to heal, since the boss is probably constantly doing attacks that are draining your whole party (at least, until you've figured out how their attacks work - typically at the end of the fight for me!)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redreader posted:

You can do it when you've done all of the other available side-quests before the "once you do this you can't go back!' point.

edit: man some fights just loving killed me. You save up 2 atb points and use them on some super-move and as soon as you press the button the enemy dodges and your super-move dumbly executes on thin air.

My other favourite is using up 22 mp on some -aga spell and as soon as you use the mp you get hit and go flying and you never even cast the loving spell. Or you cast it and the bad guy just dodges it

The extra casting time is weird since the mana cost is already high so did it really need to be a double-whammy?

I hardly ever use -aga spells unless it's Cure or Thunder.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah but you generate ATB by attacking, and if you can't attack, you get to cast one spell a minute maybe? And you might need to use that to heal, since the boss is probably constantly doing attacks that are draining your whole party (at least, until you've figured out how their attacks work - typically at the end of the fight for me!)

Yes, exactly. What meager ATB you generate just standing around usually has to go toward healing, so the battle slows to a craaaaawl when 2/3rds of your team can't contribute anything and the last guy is probably wasting all their ATB staying alive. Air Buster is even worse, because even if you manage to get extra attacks in and stagger him when he's out of range, he stays out of range for the stagger! So you waste the stagger not being able to do gently caress all for damage.

Luckily there are only, like, three battles I can think of where this is an issue. And this is mostly constructive criticism on something I think can be improved, because I loved this game back to front, and all my quibbles are minor.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The remake kind of killed my ability to play the original, which is a shame since I wanted to refresh my memory on all the post-Midgar stuff.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

The remake kind of killed my ability to play the original, which is a shame since I wanted to refresh my memory on all the post-Midgar stuff.

Yeah I'm a little too old to enjoy the mechanics of most games made before 2000 at this point, so I ended up just cheating and running through it. If you have it on steam, there's a trainer called Ochu that's legit and has a bunch of good stuff (including invincibility, all items/materia, and no random battles). And I think the ps4 version has built in cheats.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I bought the soundtrack and man that’s a lot of songs. I need playlists to split the soundtrack cuz right now it’s weird to get a movie score followed by a dubstep fight song

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I bought the soundtrack and man that’s a lot of songs. I need playlists to split the soundtrack cuz right now it’s weird to get a movie score followed by a dubstep fight song

Untz untz untz move that body

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

One whole disc of the OST is dedicated to Chapter 9 songs alone. That's insane.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

anakha posted:

One whole disc of the OST is dedicated to Chapter 9 songs alone. That's insane.

I didn’t realize the Cloud Dance scene is actually like a full 6 tracks

Also all the different composers being listed is a really nice touch. I’m starting to correctly guess who did what without looking

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

If it sounds like FFXIII, it's Hamauzu.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I don't know who Tadayoshi Makino is but he's 2/2 on absolute bangers so he's alright in my book

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

One day I'll figure out what that song is that plays when you're fighting the dogs with Wedge

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
This pull-up challenge blows rear end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Maybe you shouldn't have skipped arm day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Anti-Hero posted:

Tricks:

Mute the sound, it will throw you off the rhythm.
Do not watch the challenger's side of the screen at all, do not focus on your number.

With those, I'd say it took me maybe 6-8 attempts to beat the pro difficulty. I agree it blows a lot of rear end, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just don't make a mistake

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Just don't make a mistake

I tried the challenge twice, realized that this was the solution, and decided that it simply was not for me

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Anti-Hero posted:

PT6A posted:

Tricks:

Mute the sound, it will throw you off the rhythm.
Do not watch the challenger's side of the screen at all, do not focus on your number.

With those, I'd say it took me maybe 6-8 attempts to beat the pro difficulty. I agree it blows a lot of rear end, though.

What also helped me was also repeatedly counting out loud "one, two, three, four" while pressing the buttons to keep the rhythm.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The main factor for me in winning the squat challenge was learning that the fatigue button presses are always six. That helped me a lot with getting back into the rhythm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Briana White, the voice actress of Aerith, is currently live on Twitch trying to beat the loving pull-up challenge.

EDIT: She beat it, 45 to 40.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 13, 2020

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

not the first to this but it's bullshit that you can't play as red-xiii. that area where cloud gets owned off the catwalk would've been perfect

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The real trick is don't even worry about the meter, just watch Tifa and hit the next button in sequence as soon as her animation hiccups. When it stops hiccuping, you can safely just hit one button after another.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luckily I am watching Tifa at all times.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Its those abs

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I remember everyone saying the pull up challenge was a nightmare, and yes it was tough when I got to it, but like... "get it on the third or fourth" try tough. Did no one else play the Bust A Groove or Parappa games religiously as a kid?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

One day I'll figure out what that song is that plays when you're fighting the dogs with Wedge

Under Cover of Smoke, it's a modified edit of Ignition Flame, the music that plays when you fight Roche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFvTvQDtGUs

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Waffleman_ posted:

My sister texted me that her husband couldn’t watch her play the game any more because Tifa was too hot.

My brother-in-law is a dork

Edit: it took me like a dozen times to beat the pull up challenge and literally the best advice is to keep a steady pace and not screw up, that’s basically the only way you can ensure you’ll do more than Jules.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jun 13, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

My sister texted me that her husband couldn’t watch her play the game any more because Tifa was too hot.

My brother-in-law is a dork

He decided this or your sister told him he couldn't?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Lobok posted:

He decided this or your sister told him he couldn't?

He decided that her hotness was too distracting and he couldn’t handle it because he’s a huge dork

Edit: I realize now that my wording was vague before, my bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lobok posted:

The extra casting time is weird since the mana cost is already high so did it really need to be a double-whammy?

I hardly ever use -aga spells unless it's Cure or Thunder.

You're doing yourself a disservice as Magic is easily one of the most busted parts of the game, and -Aga magic is the key to almost all no-damage boss rushes. You shouldn't just pay attention to the damage, but the impact of the damage. -Aga spells inflict a LOT of interrupt, build a lot of stagger, and more importantly keep the bosses from doing anything when they get hit. The 'proper use' for Blizzard and Aero's delayed hits is to further set up more combo's to generate more stagger and keep the boss further stunlocked.

It's weird the game technically has two staggers, the obvious stagger bar, but also the physical impediment of enemies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I do use them it's on bosses, yeah. Easier to manage interruptions of my party members during boss fights, easier to justify using items to replenish MP, and easier to land a hit with the spells.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I am really finding a lot of the boss fights to be hitting that sweet spot of being like precisely hard enough - it's pretty awesome, really. I usually wind up with no MP left for any of my characters, totally out of ability points, low on life, already have used an ether or three and not wanting to use any more, and finishing off the enemy in just the nick of time with Cross-Slash or something when Cloud gets knocked down to >200hp and his Limit Break finally comes up. Given that sort of thing (and more) I've found myself really impressed at just how cinematic the battle scenes wind up feeling, without seeming like they're leading you down ANY specific sort of path in terms of gameplay. It's really a hell of a thing to pull off.

I don't mean to sing the game's praises too effusively, because it does have flaws. Like an earlier poster mentioned, as much fun as it is it does feel almost like a roller-coaster ride - complete with a safety belt strapping you in and being totally unable to leave the cart or veer off the track. It also goes very fast and in one direction only, absolutely no backtracking or revisiting. The metaphor works pretty drat well, to be honest.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Once you finish the game you gain the ability to warp to the start of any chapter and also a Hard difficulty tuned for an endgame party. You'll get to revisit a bunch of stuff and there's a few branching scenarios that you are encouraged to revisit with Chapter Select as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Dell_Zincht posted:

Under Cover of Smoke, it's a modified edit of Ignition Flame, the music that plays when you fight Roche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFvTvQDtGUs

Nah, not that one. The one that plays here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C7qHvPh-0w&t=0m38s

Also plays during the final round of the High Fliers sim, when you fight the drake

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 13, 2020