Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeppppp

i need to go get hired on by caltrans before they enact a hiring freeze

im amazed there hasn't been a freeze on hiring and promotions imposed yet

in related news i was promoted last week :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

I finally got a slot at the Ikea to go and pick up the stuff I ordered two weeks ago and it coincided with a zoom meeting. So I'm doing the meeting from a fake Ikea living room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGwndYkLOwY

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looool just learned from my immediate boss that literally the only person in my company that is and was against remote working was the ceo/owner/small business tyrant

that all the other managers had to fight to even get him to meet about setting up the vpn stuff to make it possible, which ended up being the night right before the county forced everyone to close lmao

and now he's pushing to go back asap. the HR lady has to keep telling him that no, we all can't just go back wearing masks and call it done, there are legal guidelines to follow about minimizing staff in the office even once they lift the "you can't open" order (which they have not done yet), and that they haven't even put together the plan you hafta submit in order to open etc etc

dude sounds like a loving relic

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just an insane rich guy

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh cool. a socioeconomic relic then

jpeg
Jul 28, 2011

good_mother69

qirex posted:

everyone I know personally in any kind of large project infrastructure stuff has switched from private firms to government work in the last 5 years

Yes please do this. They're hella thirsty for devs. I'm a contractor with the gov doing work on GIS products and we've been looking for new hires for a while

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Team chud is extremely upset about the autonomous free zone in cap hill. :getin:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they just found asymptomatic carriers don’t appear to transmit the disease since they’re not coughing or sneezing

so unless u happen to have seasonal allergies and are positive yet asymptomatic you aren’t likely to kill someone because u wanted loaded nachos

nah the who walked that back the next day

there’s a fair amount of evidence for presymptomatic transmission; truly asympomatic cases appear low (which is a bad thing)

numbers look real good for mask wearing. wear a goddamn mask.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Team chud is extremely upset about the autonomous free zone in cap hill. :getin:

gonna laugh when the CHAZ is the only blank spot on the seattle Second Wave Corona Map. they're being really responsible with masks, distancing and sanitizer. meanwhile every chud is at hooters licking the bathroom door knob

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
alameda county opened up a lot more with the social bubbles and everything but they also increased the scope of the mask requirements and nobody is really following it but it also doesn’t help that their communication of those updates seems terrible; like I only really found out by accident

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

gonna laugh when the CHAZ is the only blank spot on the seattle Second Wave Corona Map. they're being really responsible with masks, distancing and sanitizer. meanwhile every chud is at hooters licking the bathroom door knob

the pigs were so sure people were gonna storm in and burn the precinct giving them an excuse to crack down and they are absolutely flummoxed people are just being chill it's great

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the pigs were so sure people were gonna storm in and burn the precinct giving them an excuse to crack down and they are absolutely flummoxed people are just being chill it's great

last I heard the chief of police is still spouting lots of "we have credible info about an imminent threat" and nothing keeps happening

it's almost like if you just let people lie for decades with no repercussions that's all they know how to do

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I finally got a slot at the Ikea to go and pick up the stuff I ordered two weeks ago and it coincided with a zoom meeting. So I'm doing the meeting from a fake Ikea living room

Doesn't your IKEA do delivery?

my IKEA has a big fuckin chart showing you what zone you're in and how much delivery costs

I'm in the $99 zone

Apr 7, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They really want to kill people

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

qirex posted:

last I heard the chief of police is still spouting lots of "we have credible info about an imminent threat" and nothing keeps happening

it's almost like if you just let people lie for decades with no repercussions that's all they know how to do

after twenty years of this bullshit any law enforcement, defense, or intelligence official who starts bleating about "credible threats" or "abundance of caution" really needs to be pressured to show their information or shut the gently caress up. i live near dc and i get bored of listening to all the totally credible yet strangely nonspecific threat information they start farting out every holiday and anniversary.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Midjack posted:

after twenty years of this bullshit any law enforcement, defense, or intelligence official who starts bleating about "credible threats" or "abundance of caution" really needs to be pressured to show their information or shut the gently caress up. i live near dc and i get bored of listening to all the totally credible yet strangely nonspecific threat information they start farting out every holiday and anniversary.
what, "increased chatter" isnt a good enough explanation for you?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they just found asymptomatic carriers don’t appear to transmit the disease since they’re not coughing or sneezing

so unless u happen to have seasonal allergies and are positive yet asymptomatic you aren’t likely to kill someone because u wanted loaded nachos

****turns out there's way less asymptomatic people than we thought and the people spreading it are the presymptomatic ones

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

i drove on the highway today for the first time in 3 months so i also listened to npr for the first time in 3 months, since i only listen to it in the car.

they started out a segment on black lives matter, talking about how george floyd's family is really sad, then immediately drew a parallel to the policeman who was shot last week ("possibly by rioters"), and then said that the ban on chokeholds was also about "protecting the police," and then i didn't get to hear what they thought the police needed protection from because i slammed the power button with great force

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i drove on the highway today for the first time in 3 months so i also listened to npr for the first time in 3 months, since i only listen to it in the car.

they started out a segment on black lives matter, talking about how george floyd's family is really sad, then immediately drew a parallel to the policeman who was shot last week ("possibly by rioters"), and then said that the ban on chokeholds was also about "protecting the police," and then i didn't get to hear what they thought the police needed protection from because i slammed the power button with great force

Nazi Public Relations

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Asleep Style posted:

Nazi Public Relations

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Doesn't your IKEA do delivery?

my IKEA has a big fuckin chart showing you what zone you're in and how much delivery costs

I'm in the $99 zone

I wouldn't spend $100 to get $100 worth of stuff delivered, but the earliest delivery date I could get was like July 7th anyway. So lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Asleep Style posted:

Nazi Public Relations
theyve always been Nice Polite Republicans to me, but you make a strong case for revision

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't spend $100 to get $100 worth of stuff delivered, but the earliest delivery date I could get was like July 7th anyway. So lol

Why are you only spending $100 on an order at Ikea? All their good poo poo is pricy as hell.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Why are you only spending $100 on an order at Ikea? All their good poo poo is pricy as hell.

meatballs

Apr 7, 2003

I got a sofa bed at Ikea and it actually cost $120 more than a way better sofa bed from Costco that I saw and felt bad about the next day.

Ikea's primary use is checking out the small room setups they have in the store so I can figure out what I want to do with my 12 x 14 rooms that most furniture manufacturers pretend don't exist.

Apr 7, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

im amazed there hasn't been a freeze on hiring and promotions imposed yet

in related news i was promoted last week :)

I thought you died

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dont lackshame

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

i keep my FM tuner on one of three stations - the rap station, the NPR station and the indie jazz station.

the NPR station I use from 10pm overnight because they just crossfeed BBC World News and it's chill and all the accents are pleasing

then without fail at 6am i'm jolted awake by 47 second trump soundbites and "Hey i'm super raising my eyebrow here" verbal tone from the centrist hosts

the only thing worse than weekday NPR is weekend NPR, where they firehose six hours a day of WE GOT A DANG CHEETO IN THE WHITE HOUSE! into the airwaves via WWDTM and such

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

it helps that the mask hides you from police

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

your npr station is way different than mine

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

i keep my FM tuner on one of three stations - the rap station, the NPR station and the indie jazz station.

the NPR station I use from 10pm overnight because they just crossfeed BBC World News and it's chill and all the accents are pleasing

then without fail at 6am i'm jolted awake by 47 second trump soundbites and "Hey i'm super raising my eyebrow here" verbal tone from the centrist hosts

the only thing worse than weekday NPR is weekend NPR, where they firehose six hours a day of WE GOT A DANG CHEETO IN THE WHITE HOUSE! into the airwaves via WWDTM and such

back when i first moved to kalamazoo in 2003 i was depressed and alone and working second shift in a big (to me) city. i used to come home from work to my tiny studio apartment and listen to letters from america with aleistair cooke in the middle of the night. it was very comforting.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

then at 1:00 coast 2 coast am would come on :getin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

President Beep posted:

then at 1:00 coast 2 coast am would come on :getin:

hell yeah, rip art bell. show really went downhill after he left anyway.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

looool just learned from my immediate boss that literally the only person in my company that is and was against remote working was the ceo/owner/small business tyrant

that all the other managers had to fight to even get him to meet about setting up the vpn stuff to make it possible, which ended up being the night right before the county forced everyone to close lmao

and now he's pushing to go back asap. the HR lady has to keep telling him that no, we all can't just go back wearing masks and call it done, there are legal guidelines to follow about minimizing staff in the office even once they lift the "you can't open" order (which they have not done yet), and that they haven't even put together the plan you hafta submit in order to open etc etc

we had a vpn for our global offices but aside from that 100% the same re: CEO

today hr convinced him to send out a company wide survey about do we want to go back into the office instead of demanding we all come back on monday.

im sure he's going have a temper tantrum at the results when we're all like gently caress no.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

hell yeah, rip art bell. show really went downhill after he left anyway.

lol. when i started listening george noory had already taken over so at first I didn’t realize how much things had degraded.

but regardless, the memory of listening to am radio on a mild summer night in the city gives me all kinds of feels. i was such a kid then.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Asleep Style posted:

Nazi Public Relations

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

meatballs

i made my own swedish meatballs the other week. half pork half beef, lots of bread soaked in beaten egg, nutmeg, allspice, s&p. turned out great and i'm sure anyone could pull it off

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it was all organization stuff like plastic boxes because i have been spring cleaning and rearranging my place in preparation for full-time online teaching in the fall. (and now the university is saying to prepare to do the same in spring lmaaaoooooooo)

also meatballs.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny 290 posted:

It seems like it's just business as usual but there are a lot more community based resources. Doesn't stop fox news and co, from showing that same dude throwing a molotov picture when talking about it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

graph posted:

welp the chuds got dr. amy to quit

fuckin mad about that today

power botton posted:

we had a vpn for our global offices but aside from that 100% the same re: CEO

today hr convinced him to send out a company wide survey about do we want to go back into the office instead of demanding we all come back on monday.

im sure he's going have a temper tantrum at the results when we're all like gently caress no.

lol yeah our team survey of about 50 people was 80% no so im not going to be surprised when the division and company surveys are the same