Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
well gently caress me then I guess

I really need those vampire knives to make farming plantera effortless instead of moderately stressful like it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

They nerfed the old ocean farm I used to use to get Vampire Knives and it is a fuckin bummer.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

I just killed Plantera on my master mode run yesterday and dipped into the dungeon a bit to attempt to farm the last piece for my Ankh Shield (the bandage drops from Rusty Armored Bones) as well as some Ectoplasm for event farming if I want to (plus I want those relics), so I haven't even done the temple yet but an Unreal Vortex Beater + Chlorophyte Bullets + tons of buff potions and my skyrail with bouncy ends is still the plan and I imagine it should be just fine

Oh, Master Mode Plantera/Golem were easy. I was worried about Plantera in MM but the standard large no-wall arena still nullifies Plantera nicely.
MM Golem is still a joke, still easier then Skeletron.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Martout posted:

well gently caress me then I guess

I really need those vampire knives to make farming plantera effortless instead of moderately stressful like it is now

are you getting torch/ladybug luck

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Kalas posted:

Oh, Master Mode Plantera/Golem were easy. I was worried about Plantera in MM but the standard large no-wall arena still nullifies Plantera nicely.
MM Golem is still a joke, still easier then Skeletron.

Try MM golem on a for the worthy seed map. He's a massive pain in the rear end.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Do any mods work with 1.4 yet? Or is it all hinging on tmodloader updating?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
My main town thus far. Any suggestions? I've basically been trying to keep people a little more spread out, with the exception of the merchant, golfer, and Zoologist.

Edit: For shits and giggles, here's my graveyard too

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 11, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Do any mods work with 1.4 yet? Or is it all hinging on tmodloader updating?

Terraria Tweaker is available.

99% of mods are waiting for tModLoader because the alternative is duplicating all the work tModLoader does interfacing with the game, except with the added bonus that 1. you're now responsible for maintaining that interface yourself in addition to your mod and 2. your mod is now incompatible with every tModLoader mod, meaning you'll get dropped as soon as tModLoader arrives.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 11, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
What Cat Mattress said. tModloader is an API, a framework for building mods in. Until it gets updated to be compatible with 1.4, none the mods that are designed around using that framework can really get updated for 1.4 either.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

E-Tank posted:

My main town thus far. Any suggestions? I've basically been trying to keep people a little more spread out, with the exception of the merchant, golfer, and Zoologist.

Edit: For shits and giggles, here's my graveyard too

If you paint clay blocks brown they look pretty much indistinguishable from dirt but don't grow grass. It's a good way to get the fresh grave look.

I gotta say I am loving the pylon system but between my main standard and Journey/Master worlds I've yet to have an intact snow biome. I pretty much just taken to building a floating snow island to use as a teleport to a place of interest.

bij fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 11, 2020

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I just want a mod that auto trashes any block that's been fully researched

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

If you paint clay blocks brown they look pretty much indistinguishable from dirt but don't grow grass. It's a good way to get the fresh grave look.

I gotta say I am loving the pylon system but between my main standard and Journey/Master worlds I've yet to have an intact snow biome. I pretty much just taken to building a floating snow island to use as a teleport to a place of interest.

I've got mud there, which as long as I don't use jungle seeds don't seem to grow grass. Either way, I really love the idea.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

E-Tank posted:

For shits and giggles, here's my graveyard too

What's that block type you're using for the building and the background elements? I'm mulling over what to build my graveyard house out of (since I've been trying to keep the structures biome-appropriate, like building my tundra settlement out of boreal wood), and the best I can think of for "spooky aesthetic" is crimtane.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Copycat Zero posted:

What's that block type you're using for the building and the background elements? I'm mulling over what to build my graveyard house out of (since I've been trying to keep the structures biome-appropriate, like building my tundra settlement out of boreal wood), and the best I can think of for "spooky aesthetic" is crimtane.

That's ebonwood, from corruption biomes.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Tenebrais posted:

That's ebonwood, from corruption biomes.

Okay, thanks. I may just have to gen a quick corruption world and go stock up on my Journey character.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Copycat Zero posted:

Okay, thanks. I may just have to gen a quick corruption world and go stock up on my Journey character.

I * think* Ebonwood comes from trees in the Crimson?

Also I'm using the Boreal wood pillars as a structural 'beam' across the roof to suggest it's actually supported by something, but in retrospect I could just use a different wall to imply that.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 12, 2020

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ebonwood is Corruption, Shadewood is Crimson

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

E-Tank posted:

Also I'm using the Boreal wood pillars as a structural 'beam' across the roof to suggest it's actually supported by something, but in retrospect I could just use a different wall to imply that.

I like this, I wouldn't change much if I were to rip it off. Are the boreal pillars the squarish blocks right at the height of the candelabra's flames or the horizontal beam above that? The horizontal beam looks like rich mahogany blocks.

I like the use of the stone slab for the undertaker's shed/mausoleum. Only thing I'd probably change would be to use lamp posts instead of the fence/lantern combo you've got or maybe just replace the lanterns with one from the dungeon - the caged lantern, carriage lantern, brass lantern, and oil rag sconce all look appropriately gloomy, as does the hanging brazier (although the one's two tiles wide so you'd need wider supports) from obsidian crates.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 12, 2020

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I like this, I wouldn't change much if I were to rip it off. Are the boreal pillars the squarish blocks right at the height of the candelabra's flames or the horizontal beam above that? The horizontal beam looks like rich mahogany blocks.

I like the use of the stone slab for the undertaker's shed/mausoleum. Only thing I'd probably change would be to use lamp posts instead of the fence/lantern combo you've got or maybe just replace the lanterns with one from the dungeon - the caged lantern, carriage lantern, brass lantern, and oil rag sconce all look appropriately gloomy, as does the hanging brazier (although the one's two tiles wide so you'd need wider supports) from obsidian crates.

The squarish blocks at the height of the candelabra's flames. ANd yeah, I could probably use lampposts instead of fence lanterns, but I wanted to be able to have purple lighting instead of simply white.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Copycat Zero posted:

What about spooky wood from the pumpkin moon event?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Psychedelicatessen posted:

What about spooky wood from the pumpkin moon event?

I'd love to use that, but I haven't gotten that far. I'm not that good. :smith:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also I went and took a screenshot by setting the frame and walking away to get rid of the grey scaling.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Verviticus posted:

are you getting torch/ladybug luck

This reminds me, did you all get this memo?

Luck does not work the way some of us initially thought, on closer inspection of the game's code.

If you're above ground, placed torches do NOT matter! The game does not scan for them. You can only influence luck by holding a torch, which you'd never do for a long period unless AFK. This means the bone torches all over your Forest and Sky biomes are unnecessary, and you don't have to worry about matching torches anywhere unless your depth meter says "Underground" or below. You can confirm this by talking to the Wizard, who occasionally drops clues as to your current Luck value.

Next:
It turns out that good ladybug luck is NOT something that you can force manually to boost your gameplay. Player-released ladybugs do not count. Only touching natural ladybugs (from windy day) does. In fact, if you researched ladybugs in order to dump them everywhere before farming, you're actually *hurting* your luck because they provide no benefit and chances are one will be killed, dropping your luck for several minutes. Or, the game will use one as bait without you intending to, which counts as killing one and similarly gives you several minutes of bad luck! That's right, do not fish with ladybugs.

Some relatable comments about this are found in Terraria wiki's Luck discussion page:

quote:

The Luck page has been stating that player released ladybugs will give the buff, so I was confused and wasted quite a bit of time testing and trying to make it work lol

quote:

The luck calculations are exactly the same as before, except torchLuck can't go below 0 and the game scans the area for torches more slowly (it used to scan three rows per frame, now it's just one). In practice, this just means torch luck will take slightly longer to update, but it should happen slightly more often than every second-and-a-half. However, and this is not new behavior, if you're not underground, the game doesn't bother scanning for torches and just uses whatever torch you're holding (if any) to calculate torch luck.

quote:

This whole, undocumented mechanic has just been one big, unesthetic Nightmare for me and I hope they patch it out again, so I can stop paying attention to it.

quote:

So if I understand this correct, players who want to play "optimal" better place torches they might not like, make sure to farm some Garden Gnomes for arenas or farm/fishing spots, spend lots of time fishing for lootbox-y Oysters (which are RNG inside of RNG) and hope you don't murder any Ladybugs by accident - which you might not even notice, because the debuff is hidden... Oh, and don't forget to kill the Guide. What?

Yeah. Like I've said before, Luck and happiness remain as the most half-baked, strange mechanics in the game until further refinement. Far more convoluted and confounding than anything else -- and not much payoff for mastering it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 12, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
guess its just garden gnomes and potions then

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it’s almost like a hidden mechanic that has barely noticeable effects that you can’t really influence isn’t worth losing sleep over. just ignore it’s existence

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
uuuugh I just need one more pink petal to research and complete all my dyes, but cacti take forever to grow and a dozen new maps yielded no petals upon creation, there's no reason for this to be so hard to find

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Freakazoid_ posted:

but cacti take forever to grow

...24x time

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

watho posted:

it’s almost like a hidden mechanic that has barely noticeable effects that you can’t really influence isn’t worth losing sleep over. just ignore it’s existence

This

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey so, the DPT crew, or some of us, decided to run a 1.3.5.3 modded hellrun for anyone here who's interested.

We're gonna try for keeping everyone is some semblance of their element by just asking people not to kill woffles for a while at which point the world will be duped into hardmode and prehard states. Maybe we're trying to complicate it too much, but hey, thats the fun of rarria.

Basically just don't hardmode yet. The modpack file is at https://pastebin.com/S2r7FKPp (for newcomers, the file can be saved as any .json, place it at ~/Documents/My Games/Terraria/ModLoader/Mods/Mod Packs/), server is at 104.246.132.142:7777

E: Portable Storage, is a bit of a gently caress, it seems to especially be bad for servers, completely erroring out death messages, commands and some mods custom windows. We have henceforth lamblasted it.

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 12, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

E-Tank posted:

Also I went and took a screenshot by setting the frame and walking away to get rid of the grey scaling.

I think that looks pretty nice. As a bit of personal advice, there is always the option of using multiple types of wood and using paint from the Painter to make it look as if it's all the same type even though it isn't. That goes a long way towards prettifying things.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm sure this has already been said, but I'm LOVING journey mode on master difficulty. The ability to research stuff before you can duplicate it is brilliant. It's like creative mode that has to be earned incrementally first. Farming and grinding, esspecially in a non-mmo like this, is kinda dumb. Get enough of a certain block or resource, bam you're done for life. No need for going back and doing boring poo poo you've already done.

Though, some stuff is quite a bit exploity, like researching coins.... Spend 100 copper coins to dupe them, 100 silvers, etc. Thankfully I have plenty self control to not do that. Still, one simple change they could do is blacklist money from being researched, and disallow duped items from being sold to vendors. Gah nevermind won't work. Dupe the world I guess.

Journey mode also halves all enemy health, and that seems t I not be adjustable. Expert is 2x, master is 3x, and journey on master is 1.5x enemy health. It's a shame I can't seem to change this. Nvm I'm dumb.

I've noticed that this has also drastically changed the way I play. I've noticed that I'm hardly using storage anymore. Not having to play inventory-juggle is very nice. I'm not eating all hearts I see anymore, just saving up 10 before going to town on 15 duped hearts all at once (I'm up to 5 saved, it's pretty difficult).

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 13, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's not like money really matters that much and for the things that do it would just end up with you having to grind for mats to sell for money to use to reforge weapons again, and then what's the point?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Journey on master shouldn't be 1.5 health on master, not at least on my game or the multi-player game I have joined.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
From what I've poked at in single player, Changing the difficulty won't change already existing enemy health on the fly.

If I turn up the difficulty during Pumpkin moon, the displayed enemy health won't increase on already spawned enemies, only new ones. At the same time, turning the difficulty back down didn't reduce the displayed health from any enemies that spawned with higher health, only new enemies.

I could understand that giving the impression "Nothing has changed" if you were staring at health bars or pop up tooltips waiting to see it's health bar increase in size in real time.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

It seems journey mode doesn't actually halve the health of enemies, contrary to what the wiki states.

e: OH, default journey mode difficulty starts at 0.5x, which you can change to 3x. Ah.

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 13, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What happens when Hallow spread meets Corruption spread? Are they immune to spread from each other so they simply deadlock, or will they duke it out?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure wish it was possible to change the autosave frequency. :/

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

watho posted:

it's almost like a hidden mechanic that has barely noticeable effects that you can't really influence shouldn't give you maluses, because that isn't fun

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

What happens when Hallow spread meets Corruption spread? Are they immune to spread from each other so they simply deadlock, or will they duke it out?

Hallowed grass beats crimson grass but hallowed and corruption grass don't affect each other. There's no other interaction between hallowed and corrupt areas

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, interesting, so this world I’m letting run wild, which happens to be crimson, eventually the surface crimson will get overtaken by hallow, barring any non-grass firewalls? But that wouldn’t happen if it were a corruption world? I’ll have to watch for that.

Amusingly, the initial band managed to tag half a sky island and the hut is blocking the spread. So crimson on one side, regular on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Still making my way through hard mode with a few friends, but I think I'm satisfied enough with what I've done with the NPC villages at this point. The rest of the crew that I play with isn't much for building things so it's mostly left to me every time we get into this game.

Reverse snowglobe/biodome that functions as our main base (doesn't look as verdant in this screenshot since snapshot mode seems to not capture hanging vines):

Floating desert pyramid (I didn't make this one):

The obligatory giant mushroom (also doesn't look as nice due to hanging mushroom bits going invisible in snapshots):

Ocean biome beach house:

Graveyard biome church, plus some of the catacombs featuring all of our many gravestones over this playthrough:

Forest fishbowl castle:

Eye-searing underground party zone (not featured in a static image: 98% of your screen doing things at all times):

Hallow train:

Lunar lander above our arena, for respawns/heals (decided not to put this all the way in space because gently caress wyverns):