Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zongerian posted:

Mature deconstruction of the Sonic series where Sonic goes so fast he is always on the right edge of the screen to really drive home the irresponsibility of going fast

throw in some stats about roadkill to illustrate how hedgehogs and speed don't mix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

What games would you say are only 90% garbage?

mgs series (havnt played ds yet), nier 1 and automata, the dark souls family of games use being a game in their story telling really well, hellblade, tlou1, spec ops, ill even take prey "literally 'you are the monsters john'" 2018 over assassins creed level writing.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Hero shooter game by any big western company that hasn't already made one where any time a player dies the game stops while everyone attends a funeral service for them and a universalist pastor leads a non denominational prayer in the unreal announcer voice

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the bit doesnt work when you keep suggesting things that should be made and i would play

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Zombie game where it turns out the real monster is man. ©2002

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its almost like the point of a genre entirely focused around humans being literal monsters is to be about humans being monsters

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Wasn't the review embargo yesterday? Not a single one out yet?

NVM I'm dumb

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

"yeah and so as you go through the levels, you fight and maybe KILL these guys whose dogs mourn them--"

"but Neil what about the zombies"

"and then when it attacks you, you can break the dog's skull with a brick and watch it slump over realistically, but you DIDN'T HAVE to do that, haha, you freak"

"Neil are there zombies in this"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Talking points haven't been sent out by the PR team yet

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I personally think this game is going to own, much like the first one did!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Stux posted:

its almost like the point of a genre entirely focused around humans being literal monsters is to be about humans being monsters

I mean if you have no creativity, sure.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its the entire basis for the modern concept of zombies, day of the dead goes so far as to start trying to humanise the actual zombies while the humans in the film are absolutely awful and die because of it. even more modern takes like 28 days/weeks later use them in this way. are these also lacking in creativity? what are the shining examples of zombies where this kind of thing isnt the case outside of stuff that just uses them for pure schlock.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Stux posted:

its the entire basis for the modern concept of zombies, day of the dead goes so far as to start trying to humanise the actual zombies while the humans in the film are absolutely awful and die because of it. even more modern takes like 28 days/weeks later use them in this way. are these also lacking in creativity? what are the shining examples of zombies where this kind of thing isnt the case outside of stuff that just uses them for pure schlock.

Even I Am Legend, which was published 14 years before Night of the Living Dead, was also exactly this, and they weren't even zombies.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

even freaking frankenstein is lol

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

humans are the real murdered dogs

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

maybe there's a pacifist run

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I recently played through Dragon Quest XI and found it an eye-opening experience because it radiates positivity and is pure-hearted without even an ounce of cynicism... and honestly, that's so rare nowadays that it comes across as "risky." Riskier than the games we'd typically consider risky because of violence and adult themes.

There's nothing daring, or even interesting, about making a hyperviolent game where the characters are assholes... at least half of the big AAA games released in the past 10 years have done exactly that!!

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 11, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

there is nothing inherently wrong with making either type of game and there are plenty of both. one isnt better than the other. neither approach is particularly risky, something which encompasses almost all of nintendos first party output cannot be reasonably described as risky. you are conflating "interesting to me" with "objectively interesting".

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

tuo posted:

maybe there's a pacifist run

It culminates in a stern staring contest with the main antagonist.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Everyone should be shown shaking hands as the credits roll.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Polygon's review is out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

Some of Ellie’s enemies have trained attack dogs, and it’s hard to avoid killing them. Even if you do manage to avoid it, though, there’s eventually a cutscene with a quick-time event that forces you to kill a dog, to hear the animal’s sharp, confused yelp as you smash her skull in with a metal pipe.

That wouldn’t be enough suffering, however. Naughty Dog has to make sure you feel horrible, so you’re later treated to a flashback in which you play fetch with that same dog, scritching her behind her velvety little ears. If Naughty Dog makes you feel bad enough, maybe next time you won’t do ... the thing the game forces you to do?

We got a winner here, folks

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lol it's pretty much everything we've been expecting since the leaks.

All the worst things about the first game but insanely more lmao

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
What a trash review, everybody already knew the premise was confused and pretentious, could have at least said at the end how fun it is to play on a scale from 1 to 5

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Did they just forget to review the gameplay or is it so much like the first one to not matter?

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Flannelette posted:

Did they just forget to review the gameplay or is it so much like the first one to not matter?

It’s the latter and it’s mentioned in passing. The only difference is they messed with the timeline to regularly deprive you of your weapons and put you on the backfoot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Even with Druckmann shooting himself in the foot with terrible quote after terrible quote, reviews like this one from Paste seem pretty glowing.

Ironically enough she says that the parts the marketing was hyping up (like the named NPCs) are underwhelming and mechanically the game gets repetitive but she thinks the characterization and story more than make up for it

Honestly I'm kind of glad to read this because it's a reviewer who says that she had all the fears that I had about this based on the marketing but that the marketing is pretty much a swerve

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Even with Druckmann shooting himself in the foot with terrible quote after terrible quote, reviews like this one from Paste seem pretty glowing.

Ironically enough she says that the parts the marketing was hyping up (like the named NPCs) are underwhelming and mechanically the game gets repetitive but she thinks the characterization and story more than make up for it

Honestly I'm kind of glad to read this because it's a reviewer who says that she had all the fears that I had about this based on the marketing but that the marketing is pretty much a swerve

This is like the complete opposite of the polygon review. We're they even playing the same game?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the only winning move is not to play

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This guy hated it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB20A8CitRU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I wonder what infinitely quotable tidbits of wisdom druckmann will have for the ppl who didnt like his game

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I'm not going to judge the game until I hear what screaming youtube guy has to say about it

Zongerian fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 12, 2020

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Codependent Poster posted:

We got a winner here, folks

Lolling at everyone who said they wouldn't force you to kill the dogs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
wtf, that dog quote is real?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

2:50 yay we're pushing a box again.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This thread is full of insufferable people. All this talk but no substance

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Like should I buy this game it’s coming out in a couple weeks. I can’t tell

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Do you think forcing a player to commit acts of violence and then telling them violence is bad is revolutionary story telling?

Then sure, go for it, you'll love it.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Has anyone compiled a list of how accurate the leakers were? All the reviews I’m skimming have been coy on story spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
I'm glad the reviews are confirming that the game is a masterpiece! Can't wait for next Friday, might play the first game for a recap.