Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Managed to hit mythic in Premier Ranked Draft with a cool 8-0, a decent cycling deck into a greedy 4 colour mutate pile. I'm very excited to not draft any more Ikoria, I've enjoyed the format but I've played a ton of it. I'm just going to sit on my rank and play cube until Core21 drops.

All the drafts were streamed but my OBS crashed twice so it's split into 3 videos unfortunately: https://www.twitch.tv/playingwithpurpose/videos

Here's the greed pile that went 4-0 to get me into mythic

Stangg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
I wanted to like the last Arena cube, but the mana fixing was so good that the only strategy was jamming every haymaker you have into a 4-colour deck

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Funkdreamer posted:

I wanted to like the last Arena cube, but the mana fixing was so good that the only strategy was jamming every haymaker you have into a 4-colour deck

Wasn't the last cube sealed? I didnt think they'd done draft yet.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bugsy posted:

Which one were they, because there is 2 different versions of the treasure hunt deck I've seen played. Mono blue and wins with jace or oracle, and then the version that plays 3 hunt 1 zenith flare and all of the cycling lands.

i wouldn't know, all i get to is turn two where i see six lands, one treasure hunt, and an immediate concession

i'd guess mono blue as all the lands were blue lands

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
why do I have to wait for my opponent to mulligan in momir basic

e: a timeout on turn 1 is still a win I guess

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 12, 2020

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Two RNG events in the same week is a bit much imo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
first rare was a dupe. I'm not sure I have it in me to follow up with the second win.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are no two rares in the entire game worth playing Momir for.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

wizzardstaff posted:

why do I have to wait for my opponent to mulligan in momir basic

e: a timeout on turn 1 is still a win I guess

My guess is its some dude trying to get his FNM wins without playing, by joining games, and hoping his opponent concedes rather than wait for him to time out. Momir sux

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
This poor bastard I just played against did Momir on 6, got Demonlord Belzenlok, exiled his whole library, and lost the next turn...why the gently caress is that an option??? Do they not think to filter their card additions for Momir to not have something that could make you immediately lose the game?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

InterrupterJones posted:

This poor bastard I just played against did Momir on 6, got Demonlord Belzenlok, exiled his whole library, and lost the next turn...why the gently caress is that an option??? Do they not think to filter their card additions for Momir to not have something that could make you immediately lose the game?

Variance Is The Lifeblood Of Magic: The Gathering

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Walker momir was the one time I enjoyed playing with WotS walkers. It was also really unpopular so I'll forgive them for not doing it again.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Both games I played my opponent twice attacked into with obvious bad attacks and like you're tapped out and all your cards are land what are you hoping happens here? 3/4 beats 2/2? and then they both did it twice, wtf.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Both games I played my opponent twice attacked into with obvious bad attacks and like you're tapped out and all your cards are land what are you hoping happens here? 3/4 beats 2/2? and then they both did it twice, wtf.

Oppo needs to learn how to bluff better and read the situation

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Maybe they had an "attack with 30 creatures" quest?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Drewjitsu posted:

What do you want the deck to do, and what is your collection/wildcard budget?

I like making funny mutations and smashing my opponent's face in with them, and my budget is 5C/2U/5R/2M

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

InterrupterJones posted:

Fun fact, the original version of Momir on MTGO has Phage, the Untouchable which is a lot more direct about this

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

InterrupterJones posted:

On the one hand, sucks for him. On the other hand, that's hilarious and I hope I see it, even if it happens to me.

scytale
Dec 10, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I may have been that poor bastard, and I was not aware that it was a possibility

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like your first Arena Cube Draft is free

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Funkdreamer posted:

I think white weenie (also an angelic token subtheme if you get the mythic payoff) and mono R should be supported, but I don't know how the packs are distributed. There are a lot of haymakers, so I'm guessing control decks should work too along with 5C green based ramp?

Ryan Spain has a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q70aDaKwVQ

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 12, 2020

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Technowolf posted:

I like making funny mutations and smashing my opponent's face in with them, and my budget is 5C/2U/5R/2M

I'd start with building toward this list:
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
4 Auspicious Starrix (IKO) 144
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
3 End-Raze Forerunners (RNA) 124
12 Forest (ANA) 65
2 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
4 Illuna, Apex of Wishes (IKO) 190
6 Island (ANA) 62
2 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
4 Migratory Greathorn (IKO) 165
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Parcelbeast (IKO) 199
4 Pollywog Symbiote (IKO) 63

4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
2 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
4 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
1 Umori, the Collector (IKO) 231
4 Voracious Hydra (M20) 200

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there any way to see game logs in Arena? I just lost a game where I had a 5/5 creature against a 6/4 enchanted Paradise Druid and somehow mine died and theirs didn't. They didn't have indestructible so I don't know what happened.

Edit: Of course I lost the only game today where I didn't draw all creatures or all tricks/removal.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 12, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Technowolf posted:

Simic Mutate is good on a budget:

Deck
8 Forest (IKO) 274
4 Essence Symbiote (IKO) 149
4 Trumpeting Gnarr (IKO) 213
8 Island (IKO) 265
4 Archipelagore (IKO) 41
4 Pouncing Shoreshark (IKO) 64
4 Parcelbeast (IKO) 199
4 Pollywog Symbiote (IKO) 63
4 Thornwood Falls (IKO) 256
4 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 258

That's the artisan version, this is the one I run in standard for comparison:

Deck
5 Island (IKO) 265
2 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate (IKO) 175
4 Trumpeting Gnarr (IKO) 213
8 Forest (IKO) 274
3 Pouncing Shoreshark (IKO) 64
4 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Parcelbeast (IKO) 199
3 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149

But honestly the vast majority of the blue and green mutate cretures are good, and Starrix is amazing, just stacking a massive pile of stuff on a Paradise Druid then splatting wide on turn 5/6 is super fun.

Other possibilities:

Deck
4 Cubwarden (IKO) 7
7 Plains (IKO) 262
7 Forest (IKO) 274
2 Fight as One (IKO) 12
2 Gods Willing (M20) 19
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
4 Banishing Light (THB) 4
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
2 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Gemrazer (IKO) 155

Sideboard
1 Gods Willing (M20) 19
4 Wilt (IKO) 176
2 Bond of Discipline (WAR) 6
4 Ram Through (IKO) 170
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194

(not budget, but the principle should be pretty clear, and you can junk a lot of the rares and still keep the basic principle, which is go wide, don't let your big mutant die, get swole cats, key parts being again Paradise Druid, Starrix, but also Pridemate and Cubwarden)

Deck
4 Ajani's Pridemate (WAR) 4
3 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
4 Bloodthirsty Aerialist (M20) 91
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Cubwarden (IKO) 7
4 Insatiable Hemophage (IKO) 93
2 Majestic Auricorn (IKO) 22
4 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
2 Dirge Bat (IKO) 84
3 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
4 Snapdax, Apex of the Hunt (IKO) 209
6 Swamp (IKO) 268
4 Savai Triome (IKO) 253
2 Bond of Discipline (WAR) 6
6 Plains (IKO) 262
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
2 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241

Sideboard
4 Mortify (RNA) 192
4 Gods Willing (M20) 19
2 Dirge Bat (IKO) 84
1 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
1 Vampire of the Dire Moon (M20) 120
3 Banishing Light (THB) 4

This is broadly similar but with Orzhov. Again the rares are pretty interchangeable, you could leave out Snapdax (though he's by far the most fun part) and increase the Auricorns, add Chittering Harvester or Cavern WHisperer, etc. And the Triomes are entirely replaceable, just swap them for basics and don't include red, casting Snapdax without mutate is very rare. Basic gameplan is similar, but you get better removal and offence in exchange for worse defence. Core parts are the 1/1 lifelink weenies (the Vampire in particular, because snapdax with deathtouch and lifelink is hilarious), the Pridemates and Aerialists, and the Cubwardens.

I like Cubwarden ok.

--

E: my first Cube is fun, I've got a mostly Golgari deck with a splash of blue for Krassis and Uro, and a single Temple of PLenty to give a white for Mythos of Nethroi if the stars align, with a self-mill subtheme.

it's probably trash, and I doubt I'll be paying to play for a ghost event, but for free, I'm not going to argue.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is there any way to see game logs in Arena? I just lost a game where I had a 5/5 creature against a 6/4 enchanted Paradise Druid and somehow mine died and theirs didn't. They didn't have indestructible so I don't know what happened.

Edit: Of course I lost the only game today where I didn't draw all creatures or all tricks/removal.

i would bet one of the effects on the druid gave first strike

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1271101438354173952

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/3102035#arena

I've been trying out this version of Simic Mutate mashed up with Simic Ramp. It's not nearly as all-in on the mutate mechanic but uses the ramping provided from Greathorns more effectively to my mind to get big Hydras out there. It's tougher on the Wildcards than other Simic Mutate lists though.

Won an tourney last night with 36 participants last night. Turn 3 Nissa is close to unbeatable.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

Protection from $colour seems most likely? That's the other major effect that stops things dying that actually gets used a lot in the big enchanted druid deck.

Firststrike is the other option as previously noted.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

flatluigi posted:

i would bet one of the effects on the druid gave first strike

I'm pretty sure I saw the toughness reduced to -1 but without a log who knows.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ex post facho posted:

doom foretold / orzhov discard also wrecks GY based strategies (Uro, cat oven) with access to Kuronos, K3ya, Soul Guide, Erebos, Tymaret, Carnarium etc.

I have a DF deck I've been tweaking off and on for a while. Its generally pretty good against anything

From a few pages back, do you have a list for your Doom Foretold deck? I love Stax and my list seems to never work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw the toughness reduced to -1 but without a log who knows.

Then it was almost certainly given Indestructible and you missed it. Most likely Fight As One.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Good news fellas, Nexus got the boy there again!

1. Check out the sleeve match up :japan:

2. I made it to Diamond 1 fairly quickly, but couldn't do better than 50% WR and couldn't break out. I lost to all sorts of weird poo poo like Mono B beat down, RB Zombies and a couple of super geniuses playing mono u (which is the hardest deck to play in the format, btw).

I decide to queue today during a big WFH phone meeting. I manage to squeak out a few games against some Gruul decks and Grixis piles, and manage to make it to my promotion. My opponent was playing some weird Sultai pile where he resolved an Eerie Ultimatum and got a Tezz emblem, but instead of tutoring up cards that win games, he got some weird EDH horseshit I've never seen before and got pummeled by sharks.

Historic is god's own format imo.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

Good news fellas, Nexus got the boy there again!

1. Check out the sleeve match up :japan:

2. I made it to Diamond 1 fairly quickly, but couldn't do better than 50% WR and couldn't break out. I lost to all sorts of weird poo poo like Mono B beat down, RB Zombies and a couple of super geniuses playing mono u (which is the hardest deck to play in the format, btw).

I decide to queue today during a big WFH phone meeting. I manage to squeak out a few games against some Gruul decks and Grixis piles, and manage to make it to my promotion. My opponent was playing some weird Sultai pile where he resolved an Eerie Ultimatum and got a Tezz emblem, but instead of tutoring up cards that win games, he got some weird EDH horseshit I've never seen before and got pummeled by sharks.

Historic is god's own format imo.

Nice! I should get some pointers from you on how to play nexus. I ate a ton of poo poo in gold and switched to Gruul to get me to plat, and now I’m screwing around with monoB devotion in BO1.

I need someone to watch me play and walk me through, because apparently I can’t even learn from really thorough YouTube videos :/

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

RB Sac in Cube - I'm leaving Act of Treason and some sweepers on the board which might not make sense, but the deck seems functional?

(see below post)

I was worried about going dying with Phreyxian Arena and Dreadhorde Invasion out at the same time :D

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 12, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tezzeract posted:

RB Sac in Cube - I'm leaving Act of Treason and some sweepers on the board which might not make sense, but the deck seems functional?

I was worried about going dying with Phreyxian Arena and Dreadhorde Invasion out at the same time :D

Click the magnifying glass in the top right and it'll shrink your sideboard cards so we can see them all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

InterrupterJones posted:

Changing this would, unironically, completely ruin Momir and make it a format that would cause a million complaints every time it came up.

They know it happens. They're not changing it. This is unironically a good WotC decision, something in short supply recently.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

endlessmonotony posted:

Changing this would, unironically, completely ruin Momir and make it a format that would cause a million complaints every time it came up.

They know it happens. They're not changing it. This is unironically a good WotC decision, something in short supply recently.

Agreed. Arena momir has very few bad pulls and having one of them makes it feel like real momir. I think they should add Phage and Leveler for some more variance.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Nice! I should get some pointers from you on how to play nexus. I ate a ton of poo poo in gold and switched to Gruul to get me to plat, and now I’m screwing around with monoB devotion in BO1.

I need someone to watch me play and walk me through, because apparently I can’t even learn from really thorough YouTube videos :/

Sure, I’d be down to ghost you (in the good way)/ play some practice matches. My game ID is Big Jeffery#55673.

What specifically are you having problems with?

EDIT: Here's my list right now:

Deck
4 Nexus of Fate (M19) 306
3 Root Snare (RNA) 137
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
4 Opt (XLN) 65
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
3 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
5 Forest (SLD) 67
5 Island (SLD) 64
1 Memorial to Genius (DAR) 243
3 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39

Sideboard
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
2 Negate (M20) 69
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
2 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53

I wasn't super happy about the single LSB in the board (I used to have two, but I adjusted things a bit to bring in Drakes again), but two blockers for 4 mana is often enough to keep you stable until you can assemble the engine.

This might sound sacriligeous and there's a good chance I'm just wrong, but I'm beginning to wonder if the fogs are necessary...There's enough anti-fog tech floating around incidentally that I really wonder if changing some lands to Radiant Fountains and maybe putting the fogs in the board is good enough. That might make the deck too soft to non RG aggro tho... still, it’s fun to think about :)

fadam fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 12, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Click the magnifying glass in the top right and it'll shrink your sideboard cards so we can see them all.

Oops, sorry about that:

Edit: Was late to repost because of Momir.

That mode has hilarious traps:

6 mana instantly lose via Demonlord Belzenlok
9 mana Kuro, Pitlord = Lose a card if you don't have BBBB
10 mana Jin-Gitaxias, deck yourself, Dragon Tyrant = Lose a card if you don't have RRRR

There is the removal jackpot $$$:

7 mana - Thorn Mammoth
8 mana - Hover Guardsweeper
10 mana - Ulamog

Basically it's a cool mode for cool people.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

Sure, I’d be down to ghost you (in the good way)/ play some practice matches. My game ID is Big Jeffery#55673.

What specifically are you having problems with?

EDIT: Here's my list right now:

Deck
4 Nexus of Fate (M19) 306
3 Root Snare (RNA) 137
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
4 Opt (XLN) 65
4 Wilderness Reclamation (RNA) 149
3 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
2 Search for Azcanta (XLN) 74
3 Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath (THB) 229
4 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
3 Blast Zone (WAR) 244
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
5 Forest (SLD) 67
5 Island (SLD) 64
1 Memorial to Genius (DAR) 243
3 Shark Typhoon (IKO) 67
1 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39

Sideboard
3 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58
2 Negate (M20) 69
3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
2 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53

I wasn't super happy about the single LSB in the board (I used to have two, but I adjusted things a bit to bring in Drakes again), but two blockers for 4 mana is often enough to keep you stable until you can assemble the engine.

This might sound sacriligeous and there's a good chance I'm just wrong, but I'm beginning to wonder if the fogs are necessary...There's enough anti-fog tech floating around incidentally that I really wonder if changing some lands to Radiant Fountains and maybe putting the fogs in the board is good enough. That might make the deck too soft to non RG aggro tho... still, it’s fun to think about :)

Thanks! I’ll shoot you an invite in Magic. Basically my issue lies with getting the engine started- I felt like I was either immediately losing to Aggro or facing control that just countered all the pieces of the engine. Maybe I was scooping too early?