Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They didn't put Strong Belwas in the TV show so it makes sense he's not in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Calaveron posted:

So how do they write a chronicle of all that happened and not mention the single handedly most influential man in the entire story

Its funny get it? Like a marvel movie! Audiences dont give a poo poo if things make sense as long as they hit those laugh beats. Why is this plot point happening? Who cares insert a dick joke

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Calaveron posted:

So how do they write a chronicle of all that happened and not mention the single handedly most influential man in the entire story

Podrick was mentioned

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Blaise330 posted:

Podrick was mentioned

I said person, not body part

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Calaveron posted:

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its funny get it? Like a marvel movie! Audiences dont give a poo poo if things make sense as long as they hit those laugh beats. Why is this plot point happening? Who cares insert a dick joke

it's this ^

it's totally absurd. Tyrion's kidnapping kicks off the war, he's hand of the king, he's accused of murdering the king, he actually does murder the head of one of the seven kingdoms who is also his father, he goes overseas to bring back dragon Hitler, he's getting mentioned

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Pattonesque posted:

it's totally absurd. Tyrion's kidnapping kicks off the war, he's hand of the king, he's accused of murdering the king, he actually does murder the head of one of the seven kingdoms who is also his father, he goes overseas to bring back dragon Hitler, he's getting mentioned

Meh just say all that stuff happened to Jaime

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pattonesque posted:

it's this ^

We discover in the course of the story that the maesters are all useless old men who only print what's politically correct, so it would make sense that one of them is writing a volume of complete bullshit.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sodomy Hussein posted:

We discover in the course of the story that the maesters are all useless old men who only print what's politically correct, so it would make sense that one of them is writing a volume of complete bullshit.

The problem is the creators (D&D) didn't create it with this smart idea in mind, they did it as a gently caress you to the audience

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The meta joke would be that the work titled "a song of ice and fire' makes no sense.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The companion book, World of Ice and Fire, is pretty funny in places for this. The dedication page says that's been written in dedication to our Great and Noble King Robert Joffrey Tommen Baratheon, First of His Name yadda yadda, and there are a couple of bits where its clear that the Maester writing it either doesn't know (Aerys' cheif Pyromancer vanishes mysteriously during the taking of kings landing, and is never seen again) or is lying to appease the Lannisters (nobody knows who killed young prince Aegon, some speculate that Elia Martell may have killed her own children in a fit of madness)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The companion book, World of Ice and Fire, is pretty funny in places for this. The dedication page says that's been written in dedication to our Great and Noble King Robert Joffrey Tommen Baratheon, First of His Name yadda yadda, and there are a couple of bits where its clear that the Maester writing it either doesn't know (Aerys' cheif Pyromancer vanishes mysteriously during the taking of kings landing, and is never seen again) or is lying to appease the Lannisters (nobody knows who killed young prince Aegon, some speculate that Elia Martell may have killed her own children in a fit of madness)

Perhaps the best part is the commoners are by and large illiterate and wouldn't spend time reading the works of a maester either way, while everyone else knows what happened.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I said person, not body part

Didn't they ask Ros about this and she said the women said he was average. Everyone keeps making this joke so I feel like I'm misremembering the scene.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pattonesque posted:

it's this ^

Seriously. Like in maester whatshisface's chronicle, why did the prince of dorne die? Who did Whatsherface kidnap to motivate the Lannisters to start poo poo? You omit Tyrion and you omit like, two thirds of Cersei's motivation for being insane bugfuck. It doesn’t work at all

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The book would have already been half written by the Maester by the last season. They'd have written the rebellion to benefit the Lannisters, so the rebellion happened because the evil Starks wanted to supplant the rightful King. No need to even mention Tyrion. I know it's stupid but if you can't imagine how a fictional society might rewrite history then well, watch some Fox news hmm?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Didn't they ask Ros about this and she said the women said he was average. Everyone keeps making this joke so I feel like I'm misremembering the scene.

I think someone did a big long effort YouTube video about how the whole "prostitutes gave him his coin back" could have been a ploy by Littlefinger as an attempt to get Podrick coming back as a means of getting intel on Tyrion. It kind of makes sense too since in the scene Tyrion is super enthralled to hear the story and Bronn is just like "they're after something."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think someone did a big long effort YouTube video about how the whole "prostitutes gave him his coin back" could have been a ploy by Littlefinger as an attempt to get Podrick coming back as a means of getting intel on Tyrion. It kind of makes sense too since in the scene Tyrion is super enthralled to hear the story and Bronn is just like "they're after something."

No one in the show put this much thought into it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It was a sex and the city style joke, nothing more.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 8, 2020

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It couldn't matter less whether or not D&D thought really hard about including A Song of Ice and Fire in the show, because it's only the last in a series of completely unearned self-aware fourth wall breaks in that episode. First we get Tyrion imprisoned talking to Jon and about Dany and he says something like "we watched her burn slavers and cheered all the while," then during the kingsmoot he delivers the Stories Unite People speech in what might be the most watched example of tv writers jerking themselves off. Then finally the Monty Python The Book of the Film joke happens. It's painful irrespective of whether or not you can hold your breath long enough to convince yourself that it makes sense.

Might as well have had Tormund turn and say "Forget it Jon, it's a land of ice and fire" before walking through the wall to go north.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Might as well have cancelled after S1 and let us imagine what could have been.

Same probably goes for all the books that came out after 9/11

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Van Dis posted:

Might as well have had Tormund turn and say "Forget it Jon, it's a land of ice and fire" before walking through the wall to go north.

It’s all just a game. A game of THRONES

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It’s all just a game. A game of THRONES

I mean, y'know.

"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

No one in the show put this much thought into it.

If they were putting any thought into it they would realize that making jokes about victims of human trafficking might be in poor taste (and Littlefinger is very much running a human trafficking ring as he constantly talk about how he can sell his prostitutes to other people).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alhazred posted:

If they were putting any thought into it they would realize that making jokes about victims of human trafficking might be in poor taste (and Littlefinger is very much running a human trafficking ring as he constantly talk about how he can sell his prostitutes to other people).

A fantasy Epstein.

Mysterious rise to prominence.

Human trafficking.

Managed the wealth of the wealthy.

Spy.

Murdered before a proper trial.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 8, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Too bad ghislaine maxwell never got repeatedly shot with a crossbow like Ros.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what happened to the baby white walker

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

Thank you for making me l o l remembering yet another inscrutable plot device that was totally forgotten and abandoned by the show’s creators

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wasn't that just to show how they're made.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't that just to show how they're made.

yes

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I'd roll my eyes everytime someone said "I hope the zombies win" but that was before I knew the zombies weren't going to get any real backstory/higher purpose

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

What about all the Qarth stuff? None of those storylines went anywhere. Or why the Others didn't kill Sam. Or Dorne's armies. Or why The Faceless Men just let someone go with all of their secrets because she killed one of the two other faceless men in the world.

They left tons of stuff just sitting around because they couldn't be bothered. Daario is probably nailed to a cross outside of Slaver's Bay because Dany loving sucked at everything.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b794gvv7cWY

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

You can really see how the wig budget increased over time pretty dramatically.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Solice Kirsk posted:

What about all the Qarth stuff? None of those storylines went anywhere. Or why the Others didn't kill Sam. Or Dorne's armies. Or why The Faceless Men just let someone go with all of their secrets because she killed one of the two other faceless men in the world.

Arya kills a faceless man only for Jaqen to go "Now a girl is truly no one!"

It doesn't even make sense until you realise that the only reason he says it so that Arya can say "No, I am Arya Stark of Winterfell!"

At least a lot of the books' awesome moments are earned instead of awkwardly set up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

S4: The North Remembers

S7: The North kinda forgot

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vichan posted:

Arya kills a faceless man only for Jaqen to go "Now a girl is truly no one!"

It doesn't even make sense until you realise that the only reason he says it so that Arya can say "No, I am Arya Stark of Winterfell!"

At least a lot of the books' awesome moments are earned instead of awkwardly set up.

I always thought Jaqen's game from the beginning of Arya showing up in Bravos was to make her give up trying to join his cult and do what she actually wanted, and so the mind games began. But I'm definitely giving the show too much credit.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ayra and Sam suffer the most from the original timeskip idea that didn’t happen, since their plot and growth would have made way more sense if there was a few years where they could train

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Blaise330 posted:

I'd roll my eyes everytime someone said "I hope the zombies win" but that was before I knew the zombies weren't going to get any real backstory/higher purpose

GRRM kept saying that they have more backstory/higher purpose that will be revealed in the later books, but D&D kind of forgot about it so I guess we'll probably never find out.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Item Getter posted:

GRRM kept saying that they have more backstory/higher purpose that will be revealed in the later books, but D&D kind of forgot about it so I guess we'll probably never find out.

I think it's more that HBO decided to move that storytelling over to the prequel series that was supposed to be about them, but D&D torched the franchise on the way out and as a result of nobody caring about GoT anymore there's only the Targaryen prequel series left that nobody will watch.

Seriously, how many people during the quarantines did you hear "gee, you know what I should rewatch? Game of Thrones!"

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sky Shadowing posted:

Seriously, how many people during the quarantines did you hear "gee, you know what I should rewatch? Game of Thrones!"

Anything to forget. Were they really going to do an all-Arya show with no other characters from the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I wish From Software hadn't teamed up with GRRM because we're over a year since the first Elden Ring teaser.