Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- You missed talking to someone near the lakeshore.

Hwurmp posted:

e: I don't know if this is welcome news but I think you guys walked right past a hidden quest after you agreed to stop worrying about them

Good news: directly after we stopped recording I dropped the pretense and went "I KNOW THERE'S A HIDDEN QUEST HERE" and we found the person we both skimmed over on the map and walked past twice. It'll be in the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ "Ok, you might not realize how many of your comments, like, your offhand comments that aren't even actually about the plot and are just jokes are just prescient." ------ Millium's actual quote for this attack in CS3 is "Get Lasered."

Easy explanation for that one: I caught a few minutes of a pre-release CS3 PC stream and it did include her yelling "Get lasered!!" a lot. No prescience required. I mentioned it in the old schoolhouse but that place all blurs together anyway.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm actually shocked you didn't leave in the Alf adventure game digression, which makes me wonder if that has been un-scrapped in another video.

no

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 26, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Level 1 Thief posted:

Easy explanation for that one: I caught a few minutes of a pre-release CS3 PC stream and it did include her yelling "Get lasered!!" a lot. No prescience required. I mentioned it in the old schoolhouse but that place all blurs together anyway.

The damnedest thing is, I might have actually commented on that, too. Some characters new clips are better or worse in CS2 or 3. The worst offender overall is "Azure CLEAVER" which is bad enough to be in Star Ocean: the Second Story. (Which I love, but, realtalk, the VA sucked.)

Nocturne Bell goes from a mediocre read in CS1, to a fantastic read in two, to a bad one in three.

If you don't spam Nocturne Bell in 2, I will become unspeakably sad.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

The people need to know about this meta masterpiece.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
- I won't promise that the Chapter 6 NPC's are better than Chapter 5's, but there are more of them, and some more memorable ones, and the chapter is more obviously main-plot related.
- Goldia is Space-element sepith septium, much like Esmelas is Wind-element septium, Amberl is Earth-element septium, Sapphirl is Water-element, Carnelia is Fire-element.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Good news: directly after we stopped recording I dropped the pretense and went "I KNOW THERE'S A HIDDEN QUEST HERE" and we found the person we both skimmed over on the map and walked past twice. It'll be in the next one.

I didn't actually mention that in my tips because I thought it would be difficult to miss that person.

EDIT: Septium is the larger minerals, sepith is the tiny shards of such.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 27, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For the completionists wondering, the other two, Time and Mirage, are Nohval and Argem, respectively.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

68. Emma Millstein's Mystery Magical Tour

We complete our 7th quest as dark descends upon the silent and hilly city of Legram, but get a shock to the system at the 11th hour with revelations that two kids vainly went to the castle and are now alone in the dark. When the children cried, there were eight survivors.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Will watch video later, but that description is :discourse:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:pseudo: the shrinking & growing is what makes it an orbal boat

just don't take it out on cold water

e: Sky 3rd had a Death Slugger enemy but it was just a big wagon with skulls on, not a Giger penis monster out for a joyride on its Hellocipede

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 9, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My favorite dungeon of the game, The Legram Witch Project

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- CS 2 reveals which disciple of the school it is. If I recall properly, it's Fritz, the blond.
- Nice touch: If you use Emma's S-Craft in the prologue, the cat isn't there.
- The castle really exposes what a difference Hard and Nightmare are compared to Normal. Those flying sword things have the chance for Deathblow attacks, making them dangerous to let have turns.
- You're still expecting Emma to reveal things. :allears: How precious.
- I don't think you've done paired victory quotes for Rean with either Crow or Alisa yet.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Keep the castle's theme in mind if/when you play CS2 and onward; there's an operatic remix for it with story significance.

The castle really exposes what a difference Hard and Nightmare are compared to Normal. Those flying sword things have the chance for Deathblow attacks, making them dangerous to let have turns.
How much difference is there in play between the difficulties? I know it's mostly number fixes but I've yet to try Hard/Nightmare NG in CS1 or CS2. Hard NG for CS3 wasn't that bad, but then again I had experience that I didn't have with CS1 or CS2. (Also CS3 introduced new mechanics that are very easy to abuse.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

NGDBSS posted:

How much difference is there in play between the difficulties? I know it's mostly number fixes but I've yet to try Hard/Nightmare NG in CS1 or CS2. Hard NG for CS3 wasn't that bad, but then again I had experience that I didn't have with CS1 or CS2. (Also CS3 introduced new mechanics that are very easy to abuse.)

I'm not entirely sure, but it's largely that enemies hit harder and have more health/higher stats, I think. You definitely can't get away with not equipping status-nullifying items onto party members, and you definitely need to make use of cooking so you can heal and buff or cure status effects.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Trails unfortunately does have a bit of a predatory edge to the non-hetero characters.

~ Paperwork for intelligence division agents, knowing that the agents we're aware of are Millium and Lechter: probably sparse.

~ S ranked bracers are not officially recognized by the guild, but the guild is super-tightly knit and they acknowledge a few people as this rank. There are supposedly four.

~ I mean, they could have said "Orbal Speed Boat"..... or "Orbal Outboard Motorboat" (Outboard Orbal Motor Boat?) but would you have reacted differently?

~ Boy Chili, food for Chilly Boys.

~ I have never noticed Laura's family crest before. Is it holding an axe or a bugle?

~ Spell criticals do not do a follow-up, but they do hit like a train

~ I love how Jusis's response to being in danger is moderate annoyance.

~ Katze actually protects against a lot of things that you might not expect---maybe not in this game, but certainly in CS2.

~ Vanish is a status effect, and it's bad to be hit with---you'll be temporarily removed from battle (and it's game over if everyone is vanished or dead), but furthermore, you'll lose all your EP (the magic resource) (Vanish is a thing that can trigger off of things that do random status, including the quartz that does it or the Nightmare status)

~ At game start, Rean and Gauis (and presumably Emma) are the ones who can detect things. By CS3, the entire class can in their own way. Yes, Elliot detects it as music.

~ You didn't reset your links after Rean died.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 9, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ You didn't reset your links after Rean died.

I do point this out immediately when we pick up next time. (We're a little ahead for once!)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ At game start, Rean and Gauis (and presumably Emma) are the ones who can detect things. By CS3, the entire class can in their own way. Yes, Elliot detects it as music.

By the time of CS 3, all of the original Class VII will have had plenty of experience in places where the higher elements are in play, so they should be more easily able to detect the subtle changes. For now though, Emma being able to detect the change is obvious, Rean is clearly... different in some way, and the only ambiguous reasoning for sensory detection is Gaius.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
BUT THE WIND! WHOOSH!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Gaius was bitten by a radioactive sheep as a child, and gained that insect's proportional strength and senses

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Indigenous peoples having some innate, unexplainable connection to the natural and spiritual world is a pretty common story trope.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Gaius is a sensitive and cultured individual, and thus he can sense changes in nature. Pretty simple.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
He had a drat good teacher. This will be elaborated on over time.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Veryslightlymad posted:

He had a drat good teacher. This will be elaborated on over time.

I legitimately do not believe those can exist in this world.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

END ME SCOOB posted:

Trust us, it's possible and even viable.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

note: Best Teacher is still an awful teacher

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

END ME SCOOB posted:

Just gonna file this remark away.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

69. Wrath of the an Immortal King

Following a quick ghost bust, the team reunites with the plot on their way to the fortress.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you were speculating about C and Claire: we've seen them facing off once before

she's also both too short and too thicc for the C getup

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Hwurmp posted:

if you were speculating about C and Claire: we've seen them facing off once before

she's also both too short and too thicc for the C getup

I'm about 99% sure I've figured C out after rewatching the intro/video 1, but didn't want to say my first guess on video in case I was correct.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

C is also not Command, or Conquer

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's Celes Chere

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
It's Celine on stilts.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

does that mean the C costume is a highly advanced battle archaism, or several more cats

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hwurmp posted:

does that mean the C costume is a highly advanced battle archaism, or several more cats

Yes

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
After C is revealed, I will share my first, shameful guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- In Cold Steel 2, the game puts up a "Character notes updated" message on the screen once someone's notes have been updated.
- I think the graphical oddity with Cross Crusade was because of a strange interaction with the transparency effect on Nosferatu.
- Anyone which gets sucked into an entity gets drained of health on each of the boss's turns, healing the boss until the person is dead or enough damage is dealt to the boss. Once dead, they're released, but they remain dead. It's an annoying status to get hit with, I don't think there's any way to resist it except MAYBE a Grail Locket, and even then I'm not sure.

- Oh hey, you got the Grail Locket! Speaking personally, I usually stick that onto the healer, to make sure they can heal and not be crippled by a status effect - especially important for party wipe situations. For me, that tends to be Alisa because of the synergy between Angel, the Seraphic Ring art, and Alisa's really great support crafts. Grail Locket and the Gladiator Belt makes for a strong combination of accessories.
- Specifically, Angel keeps Alisa alive even if everyone else dies, the Grail Locket means she's not affected by debuffs, Seraphic Ring means she can revive everyone, her crafts let her give people CP so they can do their cool stuff, and the Gladiator Belt means her own CP doesn't run out either. Rean is great, but he can get by with an Evergreen and a Gladiator Headband or something else.
- Are you still expecting explanations from Emma?
- I thought Laura's character development kinda ended last chapter. Maybe I just had my expectations too high, but this chapter didn't seem to do all that much for Laura that we didn't already know.
- Still, after this chapter I was waiting for Emma's character development to start.

- No, the railway guns are far, far larger than a tank on a train. It would not fit on the same standard railway as the trains we ride on use. They're far larger than the Achtzen tanks. There's no real way to move them more than a couple dozen meters back and forth.
- No one expects Craig the Red!
- I also thought Sara was a former member of Ouroboros the first time.
- The next field study location actually has a night life.
- There will be more on the Reinford company and/or Alisa potentially running it at some point before the time skip.
- As soon as you talk to everyone with a red exclaimation point and change to a different zone, the plot advances. But before you do that, buy the latest version of the Imperial Chronicle from the base store. Before you advance the plot.

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'm about 99% sure I've figured C out after rewatching the intro/video 1, but didn't want to say my first guess on video in case I was correct.

Whether or not you're on track with that, if you don't want to be spoiled, don't re-watch the intro video, there's a lot of stuff it gives away.

I have been specifically not commenting on any speculation about who the big bad is.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 13, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ Millium had multiple turns that passed during her nightmare.

~ Nightmare is sleep + a random status when you wake. This includes Petrify, Instant Death, and Vanish

~ Oh, man. CS3 is gonna be fun.

~ Counterpoint to the Alisa suggestion for the Grail Locket: Elliot, if not under status, can both super-heal everyone as well as remove all their status

~ Millium doesn't hate Jusis! Unlike his thing with Machias, that one is completely one-sided. She actually seems to prefer him to other classmates.

~ "That time Machias Got arrested" "Which one?"

~ Photography being prohibited on military installations does not necessarily mean that the government doesn't release their own photographs.

~ Orbhub. Founded by a mysterious "Rex" in 1210 AR

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

70. Seeing Red

Time, as you know, had a beginning, and time has an end, and then time begins again, as we shall each live our lives again, exactly as before, plus Millium.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That was a long list of speculative questions. Rather than risk spoiling you by going down the list and saying what you did and didn't get right, I'll just say that it seems like you made close to 50 assertions which could be answered with a yes or no answer, and you got about 57% correct. I'm not saying what 57% is right though!

- "The boxes have death robots in them" - I assume so. It makes sense... but I'm not entirely sure.
- This is the only place where Imperial Chronicle 7 can be found. I had to replay this entire last half of the chapter to collect it. :shepicide:
- I've never used a Proxy Puppet, although I'm sure there are certain fights on Nightmare difficulty in various games where they are essential. It just seems to me that wearing one means one fewer accessory which could have prevented your death in the first place.
- Nobody expects Craig the Red.

- "We can't rule out the possibility that these tanks are a diversion." *no one acts like the tanks might be a diversion and prepares to defend*
- Honestly, this whole attack doesn't make any sense. Where are the air defenses? We know that air defenses exist, we were told in Chapter 2 that some were installed in the Aurochs Canyon Fort. We know Calvard has airships, we saw them in Chapter 3. So how can two hostile airships land in the most heavily defended fortress when it is on high alert and under attack?
- Also, how can less than 10 people blast their way through a fortress of hundreds or thousands of trained and armed military personnel to go for a high security area, even with the support of some death robots.
- It seems like there are only two real possibilities: Either the Imperial army are total head-up-rear end incompetents, or there's someone on the inside working with the terrorists.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 20, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guess who didn't have time to model functional hatches on their battle tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- Also, how can less than 10 people blast their way through a fortress of hundreds or thousands of trained and armed military personnel to go for a high security area, even with the support of some death robots.
- It seems like there are only two real possibilities: Either the Imperial army are total head-up-rear end incompetents, or there's someone on the inside working with the terrorists.

~ A coordinated strike by a small group of terrorists on a major financial tower coupled with a successful air attack on the primary military structure of the world's superpower? I wouldn't call it impossible.

~~~~~~

~ You spent so long on the train, that I actually noticed Elliot's idiot curly toed shoes for the first time.

~ If it makes a difference in regards to Mrs vs Ms: The Reinford family name is Irina's and not her husband's. There are a few places in Trails where the men took their spouse's family name (Tita's parents did this as well). This is mostly a fun fact. Prefix is generally a matter of personal choice, so if Irena says "call me Ms", call her Ms. or you're being rude. More characters than just Sharon will refer to her as "Madam Chairman", so presumably her title holds weight.

~ In English, it is pronounced: "Mar-kwis". I was also surprised by this.

~ I love how on the same Field Study, Millium goes from "Field studies are the best! I had so much fun!" to "I wish I wasn't stuck on this stupid field study"

~ I.... could have sworn Olaf's intro lines were voiced. Was Olaf's VA added to the PC version?

~ Burst generates a shitload of CP if you use it against a large group of enemies. Once you learn Burst, it's extremely easy to forget Rush exists, and there are actually still circumstances to use it.