Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there are usually a mix of wins and losses for each side. if you ask the OEM the book rates are entirely too generous and there are examples 1-n of how guys crush rate. if you ask a dealer the book rates are absurdly stingy and there are examples 1-n of how they are unable to feed their families. in true south park fashion the truth is in the middle for the most part.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Bit of nuance, the book rate is ideal conditions, no complications etc.

Not so much ideal conditions, but a skilled tech who's never done the job before (so not experienced), following all the instructions, with all the tools and parts at hand (if non-automotive industry maintenance is relevant to anything here). What allows for people to crush those numbers is experience, but you can't rely on having someone experienced do the job. You want to hope the shop at least has skilled techs, but if you've got Jimmy "All Thumbs" Murphy on the case, book time is probably going to be woefully inadequate.
Of course there's still going to be the usual 'engineers designed it not to break and it broke, so good luck with them coming up with an accurate assessment of how long it'll take to unfuck things', too.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 9, 2020

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
There are also examples of hacks where a custom tool and a dude with six elbows and baby hands can get away with not removing six hundred pounds of crap to get to the last fastener, thereby crushing book time...

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Johnny Octopus, car manufacturers HATE HIM!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bolind posted:

There are also examples of hacks where a custom tool and a dude with six elbows and baby hands can get away with not removing six hundred pounds of crap to get to the last fastener, thereby crushing book time...

And on the opposite side, book rate not taking into account The Northeast, and its attendant feature of making components either become one with another component, or disappear altogether.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
$1000 Chang-Lee city car. Seats look more padded than the Bolt :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJk30Kj5jCA

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I still think there's a space for vehicles which are basically velomobiles with electric drivetrains. Pity it would only work if we started holding drivers criminally accountable when they kill or injure with a car, so it will never happen.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

That car is hilarious :).

I kind of want one, even though it would be a bit of a downgrade.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Loucks posted:

I still think there's a space for vehicles which are basically velomobiles with electric drivetrains. Pity it would only work if we started holding drivers criminally accountable when they kill or injure with a car, so it will never happen.

Considering the price difference between this ChainLi and your typical velomobile, I'd love to see the Chinese build something like the ELF solar tricycle and sell it for $1k.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivzUIOB-gw

The team at Electrified Garage is offering performance upgrades for Model 3 LR-AWD owners:

https://shop.electrifiedgarage.com/collections/all posted:

Stage 1
0-60 in 3.8 seconds
Access to Tesla Firmware Updates
Web app to configure settings
$1,100

Stage 2
0-60 in 3.2 seconds
NO access to Tesla firmware updates, must go back to EG to upgarde
Limited based on motor code, rear motor must have code 112980
$2,250

While I'm sure not many folks would spring on this, it does seem hopeful that non-Tesla garages will possibly service these cars with drive train replacements (at the expense of losing software updates and supercharging obviously).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Local tesla showroom has a Y for test drives. I stopped by while out running some errands. 10-15 minutes in it at most.

The really quick steering, and more specifically the really small range of rotation is weird.
The rear window is indeed very small.
Uhh, otherwise its like a model 3. Endless instant torque and hauls rear end way too easily. Was waffling on PYD or another Mustang GT, and now thats a dead question. Teeeesla.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Why not get the new Mach E?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Speleothing posted:

Why not get the new Mach E?
Bunch of small reasons, plus timelines don't match up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Not so much ideal conditions, but a skilled tech who's never done the job before (so not experienced), following all the instructions, with all the tools and parts at hand (if non-automotive industry maintenance is relevant to anything here).

long and short is it's basically this. And also yeah dealer rates go through vetting for warranty payout as well. there is enforcement to make sure the number is accurate.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Buy a Porsche instead, this Tesla crap sucks

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Electrek and inside evs have both posted negative things about Model Y quality issues, did they not receive their Tesla paychecks?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

InsideEVs posts plenty of Tesla negative things, but Fred got off the Tesla train when they price cut the Model 3 a few weeks after he got one and wouldn't refund him the difference. He had a big mad meltdown on Reddit and elsewhere.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Pretty impressive how much you get for a grand, but then again even the Tata Nano was more of a car than this. I've DIYed a faster and more powerful EV even/

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Westy543 posted:

InsideEVs posts plenty of Tesla negative things, but Fred got off the Tesla train when they price cut the Model 3 a few weeks after he got one and wouldn't refund him the difference. He had a big mad meltdown on Reddit and elsewhere.

This is a pretty bad PR move. Giving a refund to the tiny number of people who would request one in this situation adds to customer loyalty.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Russian Bear posted:

This is a pretty bad PR move. Giving a refund to the tiny number of people who would request one in this situation adds to customer loyalty.

It’s a no-win scenario for Tesla. They’ve got to draw a line somewhere for giving someone a refund. They could issue millions in refunds to people who bought a car a month prior, and there would still be someone who got a car the day before the cutoff who’ll bitch about it online.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wonder how often people finance a Toyota for 2.99% and then go back a month later demanding they change the terms to the 2.49% when it goes on sale a month later. I wonder how often that's effective.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

borkencode posted:

It’s a no-win scenario for Tesla. They’ve got to draw a line somewhere for giving someone a refund. They could issue millions in refunds to people who bought a car a month prior, and there would still be someone who got a car the day before the cutoff who’ll bitch about it online.

Have an internal "soft" window that you don't publicize and if you trained your customer service people right, they can navigate that on a per customer basis.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

Pretty impressive how much you get for a grand, but then again even the Tata Nano was more of a car than this. I've DIYed a faster and more powerful EV even/

The nano should be at least 2.5x the car based on its price (and that was in 2007 dollars)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Russian Bear posted:

Have an internal "soft" window that you don't publicize and if you trained your customer service people right, they can navigate that on a per customer basis.

Even if you don’t publicise it, customers who receive it will? Sounds like a PR nightmare too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Then maybe price your poo poo appropriately so it doesn't look like you're throwing darts at a list of numbers in the first place.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Their issue is unlike most car companies they don’t use incentives and whatnot to respond to short term market shifts. Ford can set Msrp once a year and adjust the real price of their vehicles monthly if they need to.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sanchez posted:

Their issue is unlike most car companies they don’t use incentives and whatnot to respond to short term market shifts. Ford can set Msrp once a year and adjust the real price of their vehicles monthly if they need to.

Plus their sales model means that the price is what it is. A model 3 LR in black will cost you the same as it does anyone else ticking the same options. With a dealership model, the price is whatever it has to be to make the sale, within reason. So two identical cars could be sold at wildly different prices to different people.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tesla has the best model for selling the cars, they're just not that good at building them in addition to being absolutely horrible at servicing them. While the best brains in the software business are working on the self driving stuff, I bet the back office stuff is people emailing around endless versions of LibreOffice spreadsheets.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Plus their sales model means that the price is what it is. A model 3 LR in black will cost you the same as it does anyone else ticking the same options. With a dealership model, the price is whatever it has to be to make the sale, within reason. So two identical cars could be sold at wildly different prices to different people.

This is mostly true especially for a new purchase to custom specs. They have discounted cars in inventory pretty significantly when they've had to make end of quarter numbers though. It's not out of the question someone else could pay $5k less for the same Model 3 LR depending on when they purchased it and how.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Finger Prince posted:

Unless you made the mistake of ordering one that won't be delivered until after that price changes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

So, anyone going to comment on Nikola making GBS threads on the Cybertruck to drive interest for their so-far-vaporware pickup?
Renders look nice, but so far Rivian is the only one to have actual hardware besides Tesla. Oh, and Ford, I guess.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Anyone can talk a big game until they actually make a car. There's like a dozen EV startups and at least half of them are confident that they can take down Tesla or something.

The only one I put much faith in is Ford. Tesla will probably do it eventually as well but not on schedule.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Elon won't give me my Tesla

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
At this point I hope the Tesla auto-drives itself up your rear end upon delivery

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

At this point I hope the Tesla auto-drives itself up your rear end upon delivery

thats fukin rude

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

FilthyImp posted:

That's a $7,000 option

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
That new OLED screen is looking nice.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon won't give me my Tesla

Given some of the horror stories of the early Ys, the longer you wait, the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Have you tried cancelling your shitbox and buying a real car?