Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Epicurius posted:

Attempted suicide unsuccessfully. He committed suicide a few month later. It was David Rappaport, most famous for Time Bandits.

There's even an image of him in the makeup on set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Kind of can’t believe they got away with the DS9 episode which gives a tutorial on how to form a union and go on strike at your workplace

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Kind of can’t believe they got away with the DS9 episode which gives a tutorial on how to form a union and go on strike at your workplace

That episode also revealed that suffering is the only heritage that O'Briens pass along to their descendants. Miles knows he comes from a long line of people who got shat on by the powers that be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I'd still put this guy down as the two minute cameo one.

seriously what make up artist worth their salary is okay with wasting a hot wheels track face piercing on a two minute appearance

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you showed this picture to 100 people, told them one of these two was the villain of an episode, with an elaborate scheme and defined backstory and motivation, while the other had a two minute appearance, and then asked them which they believed was which, I don't think even one would get it right.

I'm pretty sure I haven't seen this episode since I was a child but I know the answer because varicose veins and a space yarmulke make a much cheaper costume to apply multiple times

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I mean, everybody in that episode is in a real world union, the screen actors guild.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

I mean, everybody in that episode is in a real world union, the screen actors guild.

Not to mention everyone behind the camera and in the writers' room

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, it introduces an interesting moral question - "when, if ever, is lethal force justified" - and it highlights a somewhat terrifying aspect of Data's character, namely that he's perfectly capable of becoming a killing machine based on cold logic alone. Those alone make for good sci-fi. But while it's a good exploration of an android character in sci-fi, it's a bit out of character for Data specifically, and arriving at the conclusion that "sometimes killing is the only way" is also somewhat off-message for (classic) Star Trek. And the episode doesn't really get close enough to that central moral question to justify that slight deviation, in my opinion. I'd have expected Data to escape with some ingenuity, but they made the villain out to be a little too capable at every turn.

The point is to force Data into making that choice by shutting out all other options and revealing he was indeed capable of actually pulling the trigger.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hrm, Data is more human, than I thought.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I mean if it were me I'd be blasting non stop until either I or the entire crew were just burns on the carpet, so Data's got a head start on me at least

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point is to force Data into making that choice by shutting out all other options and revealing he was indeed capable of actually pulling the trigger.

though not all other options were shut out but data wanted to pull the trigger

and thats actually the point, i think

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, it introduces an interesting moral question - "when, if ever, is lethal force justified" - and it highlights a somewhat terrifying aspect of Data's character, namely that he's perfectly capable of becoming a killing machine based on cold logic alone. Those alone make for good sci-fi. But while it's a good exploration of an android character in sci-fi, it's a bit out of character for Data specifically, and arriving at the conclusion that "sometimes killing is the only way" is also somewhat off-message for (classic) Star Trek. And the episode doesn't really get close enough to that central moral question to justify that slight deviation, in my opinion. I'd have expected Data to escape with some ingenuity, but they made the villain out to be a little too capable at every turn.

("Computer, create a holodeck scenario with an opponent that can defeat Data", and it's just the collector guy again.)
Think of it as the exception that proves the rule. Every time Data (and by extension the writers) don't kill someone, knowing the that option is on the table makes not having chosen that option hold even more weight.

Also "Killing is only justified for the idle rich" is a very Star Trek message.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah that's a good point. And I did like the episode, I should stress.

But nevermind that cause I arrived at Sarek now and uh :stare:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ugh, I’m nominating ‘Paradise’ as the least satisfying episode of DS9. No one behaves in a normal way, or says things a normal person would say. Thoroughly unsatisfying. Also, I’ll never understand the Star Trek obsession with periodically making episodes where simple peasant bullshit is held up as humanity’s finest hour. I’m watching this show for an enlightened future, not watching people in homespun robes drinking out of brown pots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only redeeming part of "Paradise" is when Sisko says "nah gently caress you, I'm gonna go in the Antebellum South hotbox for the rest of the episode than listen to anymore of this bullshit."

It's also great that Sisko holds to this belief that things are better now than in an agrarian society through the rest of the series. He understands the joys of making something with your own hands but he recognizes that you can't ignore the societal benefits of technology in the Federation. Eddington tries to mock him for using replicators when they're hunting the Maquis instead of using real food, but it's BS because Sisko makes his own non replicated food all the time. It doesn't make you better than someone else if you live a rustic life, and he tells Eddington he's full of poo poo anyways.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 13, 2020

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Ugh, I’m nominating ‘Paradise’ as the least satisfying episode of DS9. No one behaves in a normal way, or says things a normal person would say. Thoroughly unsatisfying. Also, I’ll never understand the Star Trek obsession with periodically making episodes where simple peasant bullshit is held up as humanity’s finest hour. I’m watching this show for an enlightened future, not watching people in homespun robes drinking out of brown pots.

For a second I was agreeing with you because I got “Paradise” confused with “Let He Who Is Without Sin...”

Now THAT is a completely unsatisfying episode, chock full of characters behaving like absolute psychos.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sisko built his own spaceship with hand tools and Eddington is taunting him about growing tomatoes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Endless Trash posted:

For a second I was agreeing with you because I got “Paradise” confused with “Let He Who Is Without Sin...”

Now THAT is a completely unsatisfying episode, chock full of characters behaving like absolute psychos.

I missed this one first time round, because I lived in a stoner house in the mid nineties, and people would frequently be too stoned to operate a vcr. Prior to this rewatch I would have nominated either Paradise or The Storyteller, but the latter was just a bit twee and dumb, rather than actively hateable.

Also harking back to the nineties, these shows are far more palatable when you’re binging them: having to wait a week to see something comprised of latinum-pressed suck really tried my patience back then. Instantly being able to watch anything you want is about the only thing we have in common with the Federation at the moment.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Torquemada posted:

I missed this one first time round, because I lived in a stoner house in the mid nineties, and people would frequently be too stoned to operate a vcr. Prior to this rewatch I would have nominated either Paradise or The Storyteller, but the latter was just a bit twee and dumb, rather than actively hateable.

Also harking back to the nineties, these shows are far more palatable when you’re binging them: having to wait a week to see something comprised of latinum-pressed suck really tried my patience back then. Instantly being able to watch anything you want is about the only thing we have in common with the Federation at the moment.

That, and we have that World War III coming up sometime in the next couple decades.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Torquemada posted:

It's not just a Trek obsession, it crops up pretty often in real life. See the "hard times make hard men" meme, or the idea that the rural parts of the country are the Real America, or any time somebody speaks wistfully about simpler times. It's an attitude that goes at least as far back as ancient Greece, and probably further. I bet there's a cave painting somewhere that laments the increasing popularity of the spear.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
'Paradise' was fine up until the end, where Leader McFuckface was completely forgiven when it was found out she purposefully trapped the rest of the colonists there. It was either an intentional Stockholm syndrome sort of thing or an rear end pull easily tied up ending. Since it is Star Trek, I can see the latter being what happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MRr1Lmtcxw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

The Blu-Rays have some of the footage that was shot with him. Honestly I think the other guy did a better job.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

data, i am your fajo

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Animal-Mother posted:

That makes Ronald Reagan a former union leader doesn’t it.

It’s going to fun to tell my dad about that.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fornax Disaster posted:

That makes Ronald Reagan a former union leader doesn’t it.

It’s going to fun to tell my dad about that.

Reagan was not only president of the screen actors guild for seven terms but also led their first industrywide strike that won the residual system that continues paying off to this day.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched Sarek today. I'm so used to the Major Grin edits using Picard's emotional meltdown for comedy, but drat if that isn't a good performance by Stewart going through emotions at a breakneck pace. Also the bar fight was hilarious.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Yesterday I picked a TNG episode at random, looking for one I hadn't seen in a zillion years, and landed on The Icarus Factor, also known as the one with Riker's dad. Holy cow, I had forgotten what a turd this episode is.

The famously wacky "martial arts" scene with the lobster suits and giant Q-tips doesn't even make up for the slow-moving slog that is the entire rest of the episode. The only part that's even vaguely interesting is the B-plot about Worf, and even that just ends up as "Here, look at this wacky Klingon poo poo! Pain sticks, amirite?" The rest of it is mostly Riker acting like a sullen teenager and being all to his father for vaguely-defined reasons. (The excuse for having his dad there at all is really thin: he's supposed to brief Riker on a mission, but that consists entirely of handing him a 24th-century USB drive with the briefing on it.) We do learn that Pulaski and Riker's dad used to gently caress, but nothing comes of this. And through the entire episode, there's something mysteriously wrong with the engines and they need the help of a starbase (which the ship is supposedly at but we never see) to diagnose it, and the problem turns out to be... nothing at all. (Really.) And I guess the main storyline is they've offered Riker command of some second-rate starship exploring the rear end end of nowhere and there's all this back-and-forth about whether he's going to accept it and then of course he finally doesn't, but he never actually says why, and that's the end, roll credits.

Fortunately it was possible to follow that one up with Future Imperfect, in which Riker confronts the concept of fatherhood in much more satisfying ways.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I will not stand idly by while you besmirch the ultimate martial art! *unsheathes Anbo-jyutsu swab*

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sure we learn later he would have died, but turning down your own command seems like an inexplicable military career move and it's shocking they gave him a chance to do it twice.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Remember Picard's reaction when Sisko was waffling on staying in command of DS9 and to him the alternative was to resign?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Sure we learn later he would have died, but turning down your own command seems like an inexplicable military career move and it's shocking they gave him a chance to do it twice.

IIRC someone gives him poo poo about it later in the series, saying he's too comfortable on the Enterprise and it's affecting his career growth

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

infernal machines posted:

IIRC someone gives him poo poo about it later in the series, saying he's too comfortable on the Enterprise and it's affecting his career growth

That was Best of Both Worlds where the admiral tells Picard he refused another command and to kick his rear end. Shelby mocks him for it and rightly treats him wity complete disrespect. Later the ship he was offered gets blown up at Worf 359

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Did the USS Titan get blown up offscreen at some point after Nemesis, or was it Rikers presence that kept it from exploding?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

Did the USS Titan get blown up offscreen at some point after Nemesis, or was it Rikers presence that kept it from exploding?

You're thinking of the USS Melbourne, ghd ship he was suggested to take captaincy of in Best of Both Worlds. It went down at Wolf 359.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 16, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You're thinking of the USS Melbourne, ghd ship he was suggested to take captaincy of in Best of Both Worlds. It went down at Wolf 359.

Right, but after Nemesis Riker took the Titan. I’m just wondering if the Riker Curse extends to all ships he’s offered or only ships he refuses.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1272705262806355968

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He hates and loves her as he hates and loves himself.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lazarus & Q's "Goodbye Targs" plays softly in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Anybody got the original pic to compare?