Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wish I could get into Diablo 3. Something about the pacing is just never right whenever I try.

Still haven’t been able to find a game like that since Titan Quest that really hooked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Anno posted:

I wish I could get into Diablo 3. Something about the pacing is just never right whenever I try.

Still haven’t been able to find a game like that since Titan Quest that really hooked me.

Hades

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Anno posted:

The console versions are better than the PC version. They adapted it for controllers really well.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

different genre

Anno
May 10, 2017

I like Hades a lot, but I don’t really think of them as similar genres.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The console versions are better than the PC version. They adapted it for controllers really well.

I played it a bit there and didn’t prefer the controller version. And I don’t think it solves my main complaints about the progression just being too fast.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
My favourite part about ARPGs isn't the loot grind, it's the character customization, so Diablo 3 falls flat for me. Grim Dawn's still my favourite, though its engine really shows its age. Wolcen has major problems but I like its combat and largely enjoyed the single runthrough I did, hope it gets fixed up. Will try POE again when it's POE2 solely because its new skill system sounds like less of a pain than the current one.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pylons posted:

I'd argue against Diablo 3 not being a solid ARPG. It has its issues for sure and mostly suffers from longevity but I like jumping in on it for a week or so every now and then. It's also more about there being literally *no* choices for ARPGs back when Torchlight came out besides Diablo 2, Titan Quest, and FATE (which is basically Torchlight 0.5)
There's a fair amount of b-grade stuff, too. the Van Helsing stuff is... decent, although the writing is doing a fair amount of the heavy lifting and I felt no interest in continuing once I finished the plot. Plus you can send the ghost you're haunted by to town to sell loot!

Shadows: Awakening has an interesting character-swapping gimmick but I haven't finished it.

Torchlight 2 is very... there. it exists. You can hit enemies until loot comes out.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you basically NEED to have the synergies mod installed for torchlight II to be halfway decent

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Anno posted:

I still haven't forgiven Blizzard, sorry, Activision, for killing off Deckard Cain for no loving reason at all.

Stay Awhile, and Listen.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ambaire posted:

I still haven't forgiven Blizzard, sorry, Activision, for killing off Deckard Cain for no loving reason at all.

Stay Awhile, and Listen.

It boggles the mind because the idea was that Leah was going to take over from him in the future. Only for them to kill her off in the same game too later on.

Orv
May 4, 2011
More like Deckard Lame.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not expecting much from Future Games, but we'll see. guess Sony will announce poo poo for PC when they announce it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You have quite a treasure there in that horadric cube.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hwurmp posted:

nah I played the poo poo out of Golden ages ago.

It looks like there is something small -- the "custom difficulty settings" previously unlocked by NG+ are available from the start now. You can individually tweak damage received, damage done, XP gains, and money gains before starting a new game (with "Less" "Normal" or "More" settings). You can also toggle the availability of restart checkpoints before battles.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Excelzior posted:

you basically NEED to have the synergies mod installed for torchlight II to be halfway decent
oh that reminds me I do have an Actual Complaint about Torchlight 2 beyond just :geno:ing about it

You can only install 10 mods at a time. And there's a LOT of them floating around and many of them have small but nice effects, but you can't stack many of them because of this. Gotta hope somebody's put together a pack with what you want in it and NOT what you don't want.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man this P4 Golden port is already better than 90% of Square-Enix's jrpg ports by the simple fact of vanishing the loving mouse cursor when it detects you're using a gamepad.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Diablo 3 looks pretty and it's smooth to smash monsters in but has all the depth of a puddle, and it's not even a mile wide, inch deep sort of puddle. It feels great to run around and do a few rifts and make big numbers, but then it's exactly the same hours and hours and hours further into that character. I guess it's fun for the first playthrough?

You pick one or two skills, farm up the legenaries/sets that give absurd bonuses to your chosen one, then farm up incrementally better versions of those exact items forever. The set thing is honestly loving terrible, ARPGs are about getting cool loot and you don't get that when there's basically only a few possible permutations of gear for any given build, and either something is that or it's not. They just buff and nerf them and release a couple more each season and it's all exactly the same poo poo with no attempts to make assembling a character any more interesting. I don't know if it still does the thing where the drop chance is based on how long it's been since you got one but that was even worse because it just turned it into a game of trading time for drops with no real way of doing better or worse.

It's also pretty low on content imo, especially in the realm of interesting bosses and environmental variety. The gameplay itself is just the exact same at every moment, just here's a rift full of monsters, kill them as quickly as you can and then open another. You can do bounties which are more fun but they don't offer anything like the same difficulty or rewards to a properly kitted out character. There's never any variety or consideration required in what you actually do and how you approach the game.

And, frankly it's in maintenance mode. They do balance changes each season but it's exactly the same game now as it was a year ago. The last content they considered to be a significant expansion was in 2017 and it was one additional class and not much else. Before that it was RoS (which is when the game actually become not bad) in 2014. It's the same game it was a couple of years ago. It's pretty difficult to justify telling someone to play Diablo 3 when the chief competitor is free and gets major content updates every three months.

The itemisation is dogshit and the gameplay execution is incredibly repetitive, and there's no real reason someone playing it now would ever want to go back to it. The only reason to play it at this point is if you want something faster and simpler than PoE or Grim Dawn (that is by no means a bad thing, for the record), and the only reason it's the best option there is because no-one else has managed to make a good game in that space in the past 6 years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nah.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I have no clue why they haven't backported the controller interface from the console versions as an option in the PC version because it has by far the best implementation of that, that I've found. POE is okay but the console versions lock you into a much less populated marketplace and that game relies on that way too heavily (which I also just plain don't like).

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Pylons posted:

I have no clue why they haven't backported the controller interface from the console versions as an option in the PC version because it has by far the best implementation of that, that I've found. POE is okay but the console versions lock you into a much less populated marketplace and that game relies on that way too heavily (which I also just plain don't like).

tl;dr they don't want to rebuild the gameplay for the pc version from the ground up and then have to support two control systems
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-11-why-blizzard-wont-add-controller-support-to-pc-diablo-3

Orv
May 4, 2011

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

working for me, handles ds4 out of the box and it encourages a controller. they're asking for bug reports in the community discussion

on the settings i recommend:
Game -> Equipped Persona Memory -> Off (You'll end up with a main persona and situational ones, you don't want to start a fight after using a situational weak with weaknesses and get one-shotted)
Game -> Anime Subtitles -> On (I have no idea why they're off by default)
Display -> Screen Mode -> Borderless (Resolution maxes at 1920x1080, unless you're borderless then it'll scale regardless. if you go windowed you can manually resize the window though)

Graphics has a Rendering Scale option, no idea how good/bad it looks but they default it to 200% - which is as high as it goes

there's networking in-game for help in dungeons so we'll see how that works

I'd also suggest enabling VSync (which is the default) as you get stuttering and tearing in cutscenes without it. Turning VSync on picked the monitor's max refresh rate, 144Hz, not 30 or 60Hz as I'd expected for a PS2 game.

Game performs very well on a recent system. Runs at a solid locked 144fps at 1440p with everything turned up. With Rendering Scale at 200%, it looks very good too other than some of the older textures still in place. Hopefully someone does some AI-upscaled textures for those soon.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

v1ld posted:

I'd also suggest enabling VSync (which is the default) as you get stuttering and tearing in cutscenes without it. Turning VSync on picked the monitor's max refresh rate, 144Hz, not 30 or 60Hz as I'd expected for a PS2 game.

Game performs very well on a recent system. Runs at a solid locked 144fps at 1440p with everything turned up. With Rendering Scale at 200%, it looks very good too other than some of the older textures still in place. Hopefully someone does some AI-upscaled textures for those soon.

Honestly texture quality really surprised me. There's some that look a little rough, but there's a surprising amount of detail going on in an upscaled ps2 game. If 3 ever makes it it's going to look very rough in comparison (although maybe it'd look okay because it's quite a bit simpler/cleaner).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Don't dox me. :sigh:

Zereth posted:

Being able to send your pet back to town to sell stuff and buy more potions/ID scrolls is nice, i guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've played 1 and 2, they were... ARPGs. Very "This is definitely a videogame" games.

I love having a permanent partner character to kit out and manage alongside my main one, but I have to say that the concept of sending them back to town to sell/buy stuff is secretly the dumbest loving thing. Torchlight eventually makes you wait multiple minutes real time for your pet to return, but since they're also a combat presence what you're actually doing is choosing to sacrifice some of your combat effectiveness for the convenience of not having to manually sell trash loot.

Except Torchlight is also a game with loads of town portal scrolls and you can find a permanent town portal spell as well, and obviously going back to town manually means you can sell 2x as much loot because you're bringing your inventory along too.

Though the real problem is that ARPGs shouldn't have trash loot in the first loving place. :argh:

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Potentially dumb question, but should I play Journey with kb/m or will the experience be better with a controller?

Also I'm glad the game has ultrawide support, even though it started up with stretched 1920x1080 at all low/medium settings for some reason, but it's pretty funny that it lists all the other corresponding aspect ratios in the menu but when it gets to 3440x1440 it just says [???]

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Though the real problem is that ARPGs shouldn't have trash loot in the first loving place. :argh:

They should have trash loot, but should do what the 2004 Bards Tale game did and have it magically turn into money when you pick it up. :colbert:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Logan 5 posted:

Potentially dumb question, but should I play Journey with kb/m or will the experience be better with a controller?

I think controller will be a little better.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Honestly texture quality really surprised me. There's some that look a little rough, but there's a surprising amount of detail going on in an upscaled ps2 game. If 3 ever makes it it's going to look very rough in comparison (although maybe it'd look okay because it's quite a bit simpler/cleaner).

Yeah, it's very good on the whole. There's the occasional low res texture that'll stand out more only because it's in the foreground. Doesn't bother me at all, was only pointing it out as a target for the inevitable mods.

Game looks and runs really well. I suspect it scales well to lower spec systems too.

Hope they release 3 FES ... and DDS, Nocturne, other SMTs, both the P2 games, everything.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deformed Church posted:

Diablo 3 looks pretty and it's smooth to smash monsters in but has all the depth of a puddle, and it's not even a mile wide, inch deep sort of puddle. It feels great to run around and do a few rifts and make big numbers, but then it's exactly the same hours and hours and hours further into that character. I guess it's fun for the first playthrough?

You pick one or two skills, farm up the legenaries/sets that give absurd bonuses to your chosen one, then farm up incrementally better versions of those exact items forever. The set thing is honestly loving terrible, ARPGs are about getting cool loot and you don't get that when there's basically only a few possible permutations of gear for any given build, and either something is that or it's not. They just buff and nerf them and release a couple more each season and it's all exactly the same poo poo with no attempts to make assembling a character any more interesting. I don't know if it still does the thing where the drop chance is based on how long it's been since you got one but that was even worse because it just turned it into a game of trading time for drops with no real way of doing better or worse.

It's also pretty low on content imo, especially in the realm of interesting bosses and environmental variety. The gameplay itself is just the exact same at every moment, just here's a rift full of monsters, kill them as quickly as you can and then open another. You can do bounties which are more fun but they don't offer anything like the same difficulty or rewards to a properly kitted out character. There's never any variety or consideration required in what you actually do and how you approach the game.

And, frankly it's in maintenance mode. They do balance changes each season but it's exactly the same game now as it was a year ago. The last content they considered to be a significant expansion was in 2017 and it was one additional class and not much else. Before that it was RoS (which is when the game actually become not bad) in 2014. It's the same game it was a couple of years ago. It's pretty difficult to justify telling someone to play Diablo 3 when the chief competitor is free and gets major content updates every three months.

The itemisation is dogshit and the gameplay execution is incredibly repetitive, and there's no real reason someone playing it now would ever want to go back to it. The only reason to play it at this point is if you want something faster and simpler than PoE or Grim Dawn (that is by no means a bad thing, for the record), and the only reason it's the best option there is because no-one else has managed to make a good game in that space in the past 6 years.

That was exactly my experience as well. Having not played the game literally since launch, I did a bunch of runtthroughs with all the classes just to mess around with their skills and listen to podcasts earlier this year and it was the most mindless thing I've done. Every time I'd get a single item that gave a single skill +500% damage and/or some effect that made it so I just had to hold down a single button.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Diablo 3 is a good example of a game that has a lot of sound design concepts, but was mismanaged by clowns who turned it into the worst sort of endless grind possible. Almost everything that's wrong with the game is a numbers thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm just playing goddamn Titan Quest *again*.

Anno
May 10, 2017

HopperUK posted:

I'm just playing goddamn Titan Quest *again*.

Because it’s still the best one of these games.

It also still looks really nice, imo

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Just wanted to chime in that Grim Dawn has really good controller support.

Also a mod that imports the Titan Quest classes, so you can mix them with the GD ones. (Not sure how the itemization works for that though)

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Trickyblackjack posted:

Just wanted to chime in that Grim Dawn has really good controller support.

Also a mod that imports the Titan Quest classes, so you can mix them with the GD ones. (Not sure how the itemization works for that though)

Ehhhhh... it's passable, but I'm not sure I'd call it "good". I still feel the need to use a mouse to sell poo poo, pick devotions, and some of the skills just do not work as intended on controller because of the targeting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

K8.0 posted:

Diablo 3 is a good example of a game that has a lot of sound design concepts, but was mismanaged by clowns who turned it into the worst sort of endless grind possible. Almost everything that's wrong with the game is a numbers thing.

Diablo 3 is like the least time-intensive ARPG ever made in terms of what it demands from the player. You get to level 70 within a few hours of each new season, put together an endgame set within another couple hours, then take whatever build you have planned as far as it can go until you get bored. Or you wait a day and just get powerleveled in minutes. All the gear that you need for any conceivable endgame build can reasonly be acquired solo. The season journey gives everyone an easy jumping off point to either refine their build or just call it quits for another few months until the next patch. Nobody I know plays the game nonstop, it's something you do on a cyclical basis until you achieve your goals and then find something else to do.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It boggles the mind because the idea was that Leah was going to take over from him in the future. Only for them to kill her off in the same game too later on.
I'm a little icked out by Blizzard continually letting Chris Metzen indulge in his women-physically-corrupted fetish as a main storyline in their games, it happens to Kerrigan twice!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I played Titan Quest as a kid when it launched, and I mainly remember trying to play a melee character, learning that melee characters were garbage in that game, and quitting.

Did expansions/patches make melee classes more viable or do you really need to be a caster (or was I just full of poo poo and not building my character correctly? v possible, i was a dumb kid)? I just want to get my Achilles on but I'm not gonna have fun if I'm underpowered.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I played Titan Quest as a kid when it launched, and I mainly remember trying to play a melee character, learning that melee characters were garbage in that game, and quitting.

Did expansions/patches make melee classes more viable or do you really need to be a caster (or was I just full of poo poo and not building my character correctly? v possible, i was a dumb kid)? I just want to get my Achilles on but I'm not gonna have fun if I'm underpowered.

The Gold edition a couple years ago rebalanced almost every class skill in the game. It was a pretty extensive rework but I don't know what it changed other than making Dream less OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mordja posted:

That was exactly my experience as well. Having not played the game literally since launch, I did a bunch of runtthroughs with all the classes just to mess around with their skills and listen to podcasts earlier this year and it was the most mindless thing I've done. Every time I'd get a single item that gave a single skill +500% damage and/or some effect that made it so I just had to hold down a single button.

I'm not sure how this is supposed to be different from literally any other ARPG.

They're all podcast games. You replace gear with stuff that has better numbers, you press buttons and make hordes of enemies explode while you wander around mazes. What makes Diablo 3 the best is that it has the best feel and best variety between classes and builds. I can make a million slight variations on "shoot projectiles at enemies" or "hit with melee weapon" in Grim Dawn based on which specific skill I'm focusing on or constellations I unlock, but fundamentally it's going to feel the same.

I've put over 200 hours into Grim Dawn, I think it's a great game, but it is not as good as Diablo 3, just on a moment-to-moment level.