Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Is there a thread for minecraft dungeons and does it have any legs? Seems light

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Looking good for Dungeons between all this hype and the wipe your drive bug. Mojang is finally learning.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is there a thread for minecraft dungeons and does it have any legs? Seems light

It is a very simplified Diabloesque game that can run 2 player splitscreen or 4 player online.
You can change difficulty though.

I haven't found a separate thread.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

I was gonna say at least you can still start your computer but I guess if you did this on your OS drive it would get wiped, huh

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

OgNar posted:

It is a very simplified Diabloesque game that can run 2 player splitscreen or 4 player online.
You can change difficulty though.

I haven't found a separate thread.

It probably doesn’t need one yet as there doesn’t seem to be much there. I picked it up on game pass and played through the story in about 3 hours. There were a host of bizarre design decisions that just made me ask why so many times. It honestly feels like an early beta.

The Good:

There was more visual and sound polish than I expected. Even though I enjoy Minecraft I thought I might dislike the aesthetic on an arpg. The combat felt appropriately weighty and not like some floaty arpgs our there.

There was an early boss fight against a giant cauldron that was the right mix of goofy and setting appropriate while still being challenging.

The Bad:

Itemization and combat are super shallow. It feels weird to say visuals, sounds, and simplicity are the best part of a Minecraft game while depth is the lacking but it is very true. There are some terrible design decisions to the combat and itemization that we’re big turnoffs.

Ranged weapons use arrows that have to come from drops, supply chests, or some other limited sources. So if you want a fully ranged build you are out of luck. I ran a ranged build for most of the game because of the orange weapon I found and really enjoyed it. During the last level I had major issues running out of arrow and had to melee quite a bit which led to many very gimmicky deaths.

You have a limited number of lives per level and when you run out, game over and you start the level over. These aren’t like Mario Odyssey lives where you can easily get more or lose minimal progress. You run out and you reset. Really annoying on the final stage when I ran out of arrows and died a few times then had a 20 minute start over...

The customization system (enchantment points) gives you one point every time you level. You can invest those points in enchantment points in enchantments on weapons and armor. You only get the points from leveling and you cannot change or refund points. The only way you get the points back is by destroying the weapon. This is complete dogshit and screams bad code underneath (always remember this game started out a zelda-clone and not a arpg).

The enchantments a weapon can have are random too. It’s really a poo poo sandwich of bad itemization. Oh and there’s only one armor slot. A full set that has three stars. Why it isn’t three separate pieces you can mix and match is anyone’s guess. More leftover spaghetti code probably.

Healing Potion has a absurdly long cool down that isn’t reduced by kill. There’s no block I could find, only a dodge roll.

Merchants only sell completely random item rolls for too much money. You can’t even pick if you want weapon or armor. Totally random.

I could go on the bad for a while but you get the point. All the arpg elements are tacked off and half-asses and it’s super obvious. This will take years of fixes to not be another prettish arpg with terrible itemization and skills.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Everything I've seen of Dungeons looks incredibly shallow. I guess the reasoning is it's aimed at kids and thus doesn't need complexity or depth or interesting mechanics?
It's like someone made one of those elevator pitches of "It's Diablo, BUT..." and then never finished the sentence.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

It’s diablo with a familiar theme, weighty fun combat, decent graphics, and shallow mechanics. It’s satisfying and fun to play with children or people that don’t play video games. It’s not perfect, but both me and my 8 year old son are super happy with it after 3 hours of play.

It’s going to sell a ton of copies. Kids are going to love it.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I've been giving it a try through Gamepass for PC. Honestly, it's pretty fun. It may be shallow but it's possible to get a nice synergy going with items.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Played a bit with goons and it was fairly fun.
I felt a little underpowered at first as the others had played more than me and had better items.
But after a few maps I had picked up a few levels and better items and felt stronger.

Over all, I enjoyed it.
It was good team fun.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vib Rib posted:

Everything I've seen of Dungeons looks incredibly shallow. I guess the reasoning is it's aimed at kids and thus doesn't need complexity or depth or interesting mechanics?
It's like someone made one of those elevator pitches of "It's Diablo, BUT..." and then never finished the sentence.
the end of the sentence is "it's minecraft" which is all they need to sell it to kids

it being simpler is a feature, not a bug

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

IronicDongz posted:

it being simpler is a feature, not a bug
I never said it was a bug.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't mean a literal bug, I mean a problem.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Does Minecraft Dungeons have public games you can drop in or out of?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Does it have nether rifts?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Does Minecraft Dungeons have public games you can drop in or out of?

You can jump into games of people who you have friended on Xbox (which has a pc app, so you dont need an xbox).
I don't see any way to put in an IP or search or anything.

No Realms or anything like that.

There are no options for passworded sessions or anything.
If you start the session and you have a friend with it, then they can jump right in at any point.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 28, 2020

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

OgNar posted:

You can jump into games of people who you have friended on Xbox (which has a pc app, so you dont need an xbox).
I don't see any way to put in an IP or search or anything.

No Realms or anything like that.

There are no options for passworded sessions or anything.
If you start the session and you have a friend with it, then they can jump right in at any point.

I see....

thank you for your help. I guess I'm officially done with this poo poo heap.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
jesus, it's not that bad. it's pretty polished. i haven't run into any bugs -- haven't tried multi-player though. The maps are fun and challenging, and have ways to increase the challenge if you're masochistic. I usually am able to find an upgrade or two in a map. Dying is not that big a problem, just try again. You don't even lose anything, just the time you spent -- but that's not even lost, since you keep the experience, items and (most of the?) money.

It's no Diablo-killer, but if you enjoy the Minecraft theme, and like arpgs, then it's probably worth the 20 bucks.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Wow, they've one-upped CCP with the drive-loving antics

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Olpainless posted:

Wow, they've one-upped CCP with the drive-loving antics

Some be silly. CCP is still the worst.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
for the windows/switch versions of minecraft when you buy those DLC packs do they act like mods? As in could I buy both destructobots pack and the city of cars pack and have both destructobots and cars?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

breadnsucc posted:

for the windows/switch versions of minecraft when you buy those DLC packs do they act like mods? As in could I buy both destructobots pack and the city of cars pack and have both destructobots and cars?

You have Skins, Worlds and texture packs.
If you use the world mod, it loads a generated map.
You can use Skins and (I think) Texture packs on top of that.

I don't think you can mix behavior packs from 2 different worlds.

I may be wrong though, I only have 1 mod with a world (Jurassic Steel).
So can't really test it out, but dont see a way to load 2 different world mods.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Minecraft Dungeons is great for playing co-op with my 7 year old son but coming from Diablo it's quite simplistic. One issue I'm having is that we play with two controllers on PC and P1 keeps (regardless of which controller we use) often switching input from the controller back to keyboard and mouse. Has anyone else run into this issue?

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

You have Skins, Worlds and texture packs.
If you use the world mod, it loads a generated map.
You can use Skins and (I think) Texture packs on top of that.

I don't think you can mix behavior packs from 2 different worlds.

I may be wrong though, I only have 1 mod with a world (Jurassic Steel).
So can't really test it out, but dont see a way to load 2 different world mods.

ugh thats lame

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Aaaand while screwing around, I went to delete the test world and I assume through a weird refresh or something it deleted my main world.
And there seems to be no way to recover a deleted win10 edition world.
Any google search for win10 specific tells you to go to appdata\.minecraft which is the java edition

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

So what do I do if I haven't played since ~2015? I can't seem to login using my old launcher, and the new one I've downloaded gives me access to a free demo or asks me to pay for the full game, which I did back in 2010.

Is there a way to update my old install, or do I have to buy this game again?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

dublish posted:

So what do I do if I haven't played since ~2015? I can't seem to login using my old launcher, and the new one I've downloaded gives me access to a free demo or asks me to pay for the full game, which I did back in 2010.

Have you tried logging into https://minecraft.net/ to maybe reset your password or something?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

dublish posted:

You might need to update your account from a minecraft one to a mojang one. But I'm not sure if this is required...

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 14, 2020

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

OgNar posted:

Have you tried logging into https://minecraft.net/ to maybe reset your password or something?

Yep, reset my password and migrated my account, but my mojang account isn't showing that I own the game.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Am I right in thinking that because of the nature of the upcoming update if I start a new world but don’t go to the nether I won’t risk any funkiness with world gen?

I’ve been playing on a modded server recently but I’ve been hankering to just build a nice house and play on my switch but starting a new one just before the update is a bit frustrating so I want to be careful!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

That's correct. Also if you do go to the nether for some reason, it is trivial to delete the nether and it will be regenerated with the new stuff once you've got the update applied.

You can also use MCASelector to selectively delete chunks of the nether, and those will also be regenerated with the new stuff. That's what I did with my multiplayer server, just selected everything that had never been occupied by a player and deleted it, and installed the server pack for one of the snapshots. When you move into new chunks, you get the new stuff. Worked great.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

PittTheElder posted:

That's correct. Also if you do go to the nether for some reason, it is trivial to delete the nether and it will be regenerated with the new stuff once you've got the update applied.

You can also use MCASelector to selectively delete chunks of the nether, and those will also be regenerated with the new stuff. That's what I did with my multiplayer server, just selected everything that had never been occupied by a player and deleted it, and installed the server pack for one of the snapshots. When you move into new chunks, you get the new stuff. Worked great.

Do you have this much control over save fails on a Switch tho?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Does anyone still make interesting Complete The Monument style maps? I was randomly thinking of the old Super Hostile series of maps and had a brief desire to play something like that again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Do you have this much control over save fails on a Switch tho?

Oh, on that I have no idea, sorry.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Oh, on that I have no idea, sorry.

Nah you definitely don’t but that’s fine I’m happy just building giant log houses and trying to automate things in the overworld for now. Thanks for the confirmation.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

FPzero posted:

Does anyone still make interesting Complete The Monument style maps? I was randomly thinking of the old Super Hostile series of maps and had a brief desire to play something like that again.

A quick google says there are maps as new as late 2019 for both versions of the game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well, I figured people were still making them, it's more a matter of if anyone knows of any good maps to play. Because even back when it was really popular to make them many of the maps were unbalanced, unfair, ultra-hard, etc. Finding something fun was usually a challenge.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, a lot of the old ones just threw a metric ton of armored mobs at you in little dark winding tunnels. Played a newish one a few months back and it was exactly that. So the bad ones haven't changed much, at least.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, a lot of the old ones just threw a metric ton of armored mobs at you in little dark winding tunnels. Played a newish one a few months back and it was exactly that. So the bad ones haven't changed much, at least.

Is the Nether update live in win10 ed yet or Java?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

OgNar posted:

Is the Nether update live in win10 ed yet or Java?

Yes on Java... don't know with bedrock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DhWXAiNgfQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I googled :/

quote:

Get ready to fall into lava. Lots of lava! The Nether Update, Minecraft’s next big adventure, is launching June 23 on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, Android, Windows 10, and more. The update will also be available on the Java version, and will roll out on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux during the same day.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/art...e%20same%20day.

quote:

'The Nether Update' for Minecraft is officially out now for Bedrock and Java Edition platforms
https://www.windowscentral.com/nether-update-minecraft-officially-out-now-bedrock-and-java-edition-platforms