Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
id totally would play a game where you are a monster helbent with revenge like that nic cage movie in wich he drives a car, sadly tlou2 is not that

Zongerian
Apr 23, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Michael Madsen and Nicolas Cage in Kane & Lynch 3

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

id totally would play a game where you are a monster helbent with revenge like that nic cage movie in wich he drives a car, sadly tlou2 is not that

Tales of Berseria is sorta close to that except the main character in it transparently wavers a lot and has to hype themselves up more than once about what they're doing

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

House Of The Dying Sun is that, but as a body hijacking space fighter pilot vengeance machine / soul.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So like Driver San Francisco minus the buddy cop movie level dialogue and coma framing device? (driver san francisco is really good by the way)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZew9eFEMg0

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 13, 2020

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Personally I think my first post in this thread was that I watched the leaked footage and read the synopsis and said I'd rather see it in person to judge it in context. Well, I don't feel that way anymore, it turns out from these reviews that the leaks weren't really out of context and the whole game really is like that. To me it sounds like they're missing the moments of levity that made the first game's overbearing tone feel 'realistic' or at least easier to swallow in chunks- I haven't seen a single review so far mention such a thing. Instead of being a series of 'ups' and 'downs' no matter how small the 'ups' are, it's all 'downs' from the very start and there are no 'ups'.

edit: It's all in the execution imo, and it sounds like TLOU 2 is poorly executed. It is a gutsy choice to make a story that is deliberately uncomfortable and bleak, you only ever really see movies attempting stuff like that. I have respect for Naughty Dog for trying to expand on the pretty narrow scope of video game storytelling but it seems like they shot wide. Not necessarily because of big egos or unwarranted self importance from people at the helm, but because they seem to have misunderstood why people liked the first game, or perhaps had a different reading of its themes than what players ended up reading.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 13, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Reports are that even with embargo being up ND had a laundry list of things that reviewers could not mention

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Having a strict embargo demonstrates a lack of confidence in your product imo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reports are that even with embargo being up ND had a laundry list of things that reviewers could not mention

They couldn't mention that you play half the game as Abby.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
press L1 to transform into Abby when the Abby Meter is full

performing an execution fills 1 bar of the Abby Meter.
killing an enemy dog will automatically refill the Abby Meter.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CJacobs posted:

Personally I think my first post in this thread was that I watched the leaked footage and read the synopsis and said I'd rather see it in person to judge it in context. Well, I don't feel that way anymore, it turns out from these reviews that the leaks weren't really out of context and the whole game really is like that. To me it sounds like they're missing the moments of levity that made the first game's overbearing tone feel 'realistic' or at least easier to swallow in chunks- I haven't seen a single review so far mention such a thing. Instead of being a series of 'ups' and 'downs' no matter how small the 'ups' are, it's all 'downs' from the very start and there are no 'ups'.

edit: It's all in the execution imo, and it sounds like TLOU 2 is poorly executed. It is a gutsy choice to make a story that is deliberately uncomfortable and bleak, you only ever really see movies attempting stuff like that. I have respect for Naughty Dog for trying to expand on the pretty narrow scope of video game storytelling but it seems like they shot wide. Not necessarily because of big egos or unwarranted self importance from people at the helm, but because they seem to have misunderstood why people liked the first game, or perhaps had a different reading of its themes than what players ended up reading.

Really? That seemed to be the highlight of the reviews that were pretty glowing, to be honest, that the downtime between the action is what makes it really nail it. Gonna find out in about a week or so I guess but I didn’t get that vibe from any of the reviews so far, only that it’s maybe a bit of a retread of the original game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I haven't read enough positive reviews of it, I did say I haven't seen any make mention of levity. That doesn't mean there aren't any out there.

I liked the moments of the first game where you're just following around an NPC while they talk back and forth with you, picking up collectibles and reading and looking at stuff. My favorite section of The Last Of Us had no combat whatsoever (the suburb just after leaving the sewers with Henry and Sam, before the sniper nest). If the game ends up having at least some of that then I'll be satisfied. It's just that the way it's been described by Druckmann himself and some of the more critical reviews, I doubt such moments will be treated with the same importance as the soul crushing parts this time around.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

Why haven't Naughty Dog hired you yet?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

CJacobs posted:

The vice review echoed what I had been expecting once I heard Ellie goes fully take no prisoners. Hours after [friend] dies and Ellie has killed several hapless vita owners players are going to asking why she doesn't just get over it. I think the first game flubbed the landing with the selfish love morality tale but at least in the lead up both the player and Joel were in the same mindset, in 2 the players are going to be severed from Ellie long before the moment of enlightenment is presented.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 13, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This game seems like it will probably be okay for me. I enjoyed Ellie and Joel enough as characters seven years ago, but I’m not so invested in them that can’t bear the thought of them being confirmed pieces of poo poo or being murdered in this game. It’s not like it diminishes or changes what was enjoyable about the first game.

I remember enjoying the stealth and combat in the first game, so I look forward to murdering whatever people and animals they put in our protagonists’ respective ways this time around. Maybe I’ll actually feel something along the way, who knows.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Bonaventure posted:

Id pay full money to play a splatterhouse remake starring Abby but the fuckos at ND are too joyless to make that instead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
There really should be a compilation of every “Citizen Kane of gaming” proclamation.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
https://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com/

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So what's better to be? The Schindlers List or Bob Dylan of gaming?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

"The Citizen Kane of Gaming" is the Dark Souls of video game reviews

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

BexGu posted:

So what's better to be? The Schindlers List or Bob Dylan of gaming?

Bob Dylan of gaming is literally Anthem.

Nobody wants to be that

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

The Jack Nicklaus of video gaming, Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Part II earns the green jacket.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The List of Us :dadjoke:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Unnamed One posted:

Bob Dylan of gaming is literally Anthem.

Nobody wants to be that

I demand an explanation for this post.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want everyone to cherish where this thread is right now because it won't be nearly as fun when the game releases and it's just a boring mediocre game with good graphics.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Starks posted:

I demand an explanation for this post.

quote:

At the beginning, they called it Dylan. In late 2012 and 2013, while finishing up the Mass Effect trilogy, BioWare director Casey Hudson and a small team of longtime Mass Effect developers started work on a project that they hoped would be the Bob Dylan of video games, meaning something that would be referenced by video game fans for years to come. Even within BioWare, it was a mystery project—you needed a password to get into the wiki, according to one person who was on it. For a while, the team stayed small. Most of BioWare’s staff were on Dragon Age: Inquisition, which needed all hands on deck in order to ship by the end of 2014.

https://kotaku.com/how-biowares-anthem-went-wrong-1833731964

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

who is Soy Bomb in this analogy

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

quote:

something that would be referenced by video game fans for years to come.

a finger on a monkey's paw curls, from far away the harsh cackle of a witch is faintly hard

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Lol

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm convinced some reviewers haven't played the first game. What the gently caress are they talking about?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

snoremac posted:

I'm convinced some reviewers haven't played the first game. What the gently caress are they talking about?

it's almost like it's a review of an entirely different game

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Brother Entropy posted:

I'm saying what from the first game would give the impression the sequel would be a carefree killing spree with carjacking.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

snoremac posted:

I'm saying what from the first game would give the impression the sequel would be a carefree killing spree with carjacking.

Brother Entropy posted:

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Oh okay. Could've just said "It's a review of GTA5."

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

snoremac posted:

Oh okay. Could've just said "It's a review of GTA5."

Well, no, it's a review of GTAIV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

did Giant Bomb seriously give GTAIV a 100 score