Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is Gundam 00 any good if I enjoyed G Gundam and Gundam Wing?

Sure. It's like Wing, but slower and more self-serious, and the second season is weaker than the first, but it makes up for it with significantly more baseline technical competence in character-work, plotting, use of themes, and action animation. This is not to say it's necessarily always good at any and every one of those, but it's generally noticeably better than Wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Is Gundam 00 any good if I enjoyed G Gundam and Gundam Wing?

First season is one of the best in the franchise, second season drops a bit in overall quality but is still fun, movie is gorgeous but kinda weird if mostly cause it's dealing with new territory for the franchise

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

drrockso20 posted:

First season is one of the best in the franchise, second season drops a bit in overall quality but is still fun, movie is gorgeous but kinda weird if mostly cause it's dealing with new territory for the franchise

Surely a Gundam pilot must've fought a truck at some point before the 00 movie?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I wanna see Setsuna take on Cybrtrk on Mars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gundam 00 is Gundam trying to take on Asimov/Clarke style sci-fi, and while they don't quite pull it off I'm there for it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the boys are prettier than wing, a net win even though they really hosed up with that green one

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The cool thing about 00 s01 is that a lot of it is just a mix of world politics and the different Earth factions racing to recreate the Gundams while Celestial Being do nothing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the S1 openings are rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwQ37pZWiU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4Xmwlcy9s

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It's a shame 00 the series is done so rarely in SRW.

Same with Wing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Same with Wing.

What?

Of the Super Robot Wars games released in the past decade (not counting OG of course) 00 has been in UX, Super Robot Wars Z2 1-2, Z3 1-2 and V.
Wing was in L, Z2 1 and 2, Z3 1 and 2, and X.

That's 5 games each out of 10 mainline games (not counting side stuff/mobile stuff which IIRC Wing and 00 both appear in)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

What?

Of the Super Robot Wars games released in the past decade (not counting OG of course) 00 has been in UX, Super Robot Wars Z2 1-2, Z3 1-2 and V.

That's 5 games each out of 10 mainline games (not counting side stuff/mobile stuff which IIRC Wing and 00 both appear in)

Only Z2 had the series, the rest had the movie.

Same with Wing, they usually go with the OVa instead of the series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsieurChoc posted:

Same with Wing.

Agreed, especially considering how well Wing and 00 worked off of each other in Z2. I'd love to see that again, especially if IBO's added to the equation.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd love to see victory gundam show up in a srw. Its been over twenty years at this point since it last showed up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was not terribly impressed with 00. Season 1 was decent enough but Season 2 was Destiny levels of bad. Was there any character they didn't ruin? And they denied me a satisfying climactic showdown with Nena.

A lot of folks back when I got into Gundam in 2014, considered 00 a more "serious" Wing. It's not hard to see why given the premises of both shows is a small terrorist group of traumatized boys in robots take on the Earth. But the atmosphere couldn't be more different, not to mention the resolution. This is not vvalue statement on which is better, just that liking one doesn't necessarily mean you like the other. They're very different.

Also there's no Relena.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I'd love to see victory gundam show up in a srw. Its been over twenty years at this point since it last showed up

I just don't want to see Crossbone Gundam again for a long, long, long time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't mind if they actually did it's plot properly for once, especially for Steel Seven

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

What?

They've done the 00 TV series plot a total of one time, with the rest of the appearances being post-series movie plot or post-movie unit/character inclusions.

It's actually in a similar position to Gundam Wing, where the Wing boys appear in SRW on a semi-constant basis but it's always just Endless Waltz.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I'm still confused how we got three games of half-hearted Crossbone and didn't even get the X3.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the format of crossbone being multiple short manga means that there are a shitload of main unit upgrades. it's hard to keep track of them all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I want my Wings of Light.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the format of crossbone being multiple short manga means that there are a shitload of main unit upgrades. it's hard to keep track of them all.

But it's not. You have the original Crossbone, which is a straightforward schlocky action thing that follows a simple linear thread of pirates fight bad guys to save the Earth. Kincade starts in the X1 and sticks with it the whole time, while Tobia starts off in a Pez Batalla and later pilots the X3 until it's destroyed. They had the Pez in VTX, though it was an enemy unit only.

They adapted the original Crossbone pretty well in Alpha 2, hit all the main plot bits and did all the upgrades, so it's not something they couldn't have fit in.

Skull Heart is a collection of stories that all have Tobia in the X1 Skull Heart, so they could pick and choose from it easily. That's what they did with the Amakusa chapter.

Steel Seven is once again pretty linear, and the main upgrade is just the X1 Skull Heart being refitted into the Full Cloth. There's not too much complexity there either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I was not terribly impressed with 00. Season 1 was decent enough but Season 2 was Destiny levels of bad. Was there any character they didn't ruin? And they denied me a satisfying climactic showdown with Nena.

A lot of folks back when I got into Gundam in 2014, considered 00 a more "serious" Wing. It's not hard to see why given the premises of both shows is a small terrorist group of traumatized boys in robots take on the Earth. But the atmosphere couldn't be more different, not to mention the resolution. This is not vvalue statement on which is better, just that liking one doesn't necessarily mean you like the other. They're very different.

Also there's no Relena.

There's Marina, though. She's like Relena!

(Except in, you know, having any agency, relevance to the plot, or interesting characterization.)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

There's Marina, though. She's like Relena!

(Except in, you know, having any agency, relevance to the plot, or interesting characterization.)

If I recall correctly she does so little during season 1 that it probably wouldn't be too hard to edit her out entirely

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall correctly she does so little during season 1 that it probably wouldn't be too hard to edit her out entirely

Yeah, she’s kinda roughly equivalent in plot importance to Saji. But you can tell the show thinks more of her.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

Her role in the show is pretty much entirely predicated on the fact she's an analogue of Setsuna's mother and someone he looks to for advice and help when dealing with his problems. She is not a part of Celestial Being, and the only relationship she shares with it is Setsuna, she's not part of the major Earth blocs or any of their military etc. so she can't actually interact with anyone without it seeming convoluted, outside of Setsuna. She exists solely to discuss the morality or philosophy of various things with Setsuna, and once he moves on beyond the need for such in season two, she feels vestigial, because she no longer even has that minor relevance.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m not even sure if I’d enjoy Wing if I didn’t have the nostalgia from when it was originally on Toonami. I can definitely see why I liked it so much as a teenager, and the Gundam fights are still pretty cool.

G Gundam I only watched last year, and it was a lot of fun. Just completely nuts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

She does a lot to help Setsuna get over his trauma. It's S2 where she fades into irrelevance.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I’m not even sure if I’d enjoy Wing if I didn’t have the nostalgia from when it was originally on Toonami. I can definitely see why I liked it so much as a teenager, and the Gundam fights are still pretty cool.
I like the suit designs (some of my favorite non-UC grunts) and appreciate the insanity of the story in a B-movie manner, myself.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

00 was on the whole the best of the AU series for me until IBO. The second season is nowhere near as good as the first, but it doesn't get quite as dumb ridiculous as some of the other AU stories.

Pound for Pound IBO is the purest best what Gundam is about for me and I never expected something not from the UC line to do that for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wing and g gundam are my favorite non UC gundams but not really for the quality of their stories (though their stories hold up better than you'd expect if you actually sit down and look at them)

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

G Gundam I only watched last year, and it was a lot of fun. Just completely nuts.

Some friends and I finished a (rewatch for me, first time viewing for nearly everyone else) of Gundam Wing two weeks ago, and the general take by the people that hadn't watched it when they were kids and it was on Toonami is that the series is completely insane but the animation + especially fights are pretty. Wufei was also universally loathed, but I probably helped bias people since I hate that character. It definitely didn't live up to my memories of it, I'd thought things made a lot more sense when I watched it as a kid.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will probably end up being more generous to Wing because i want to not be a contrarian about it just because 20 years of people parroting memes making me hate it. also it has just been comforting to get some straight shot Gundam tropes from a show after rewatching G.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I watched G Gundam in my last year of high school and it was my first Gundam. That was 2006. I only watched more Gundam in 2014 when I watched all of UC that had been dubbed up to that point as well as Wing, SEED, Destiny and 00. If anything, I think this forum ha become more pro-Wing with time.

Having no nostalgia for Gundam whatsoever, I think Wing is my favorite Gundam series alongside Zeta. I like to consider it a perfect blend between UC Gundam's more (relatively) down-to-earth approach and the straight-up shounen battle insanity of G Gundam. The show is heavy on melodrama (in the non-pejorative sense) and larger-than-life characters but tries also to maintain a gritty realism that G left by the wayside. I think it's the best of both worlds, honestly.

Plus Relena and Dorothy are just my favorite Gundam ladies ever alongside Four and Natarrle. Their interactions are the best part of the second half of Wing.

And it is only potentially relevant but the original writer for Wing/the writer for Endless Waltz/the writer for the Glory of Losers manga, Katsuyuki Sumizawa, also wrote for the original Inuyasha anime and is coming back to write for the Inuyasha sequel. Now Inuyasha is a series I did grow up with and it is still one of my favorite anime. I have to wonder if there's any crossover here.

And finally Wing has one of the best Gundam soundtracks ever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttzppy0v1I8

P.S.

I think Zeta and Wing might be my favorites because they have the mot insane first episodes. Kamille attacks Space Gestapo and then when his mom comes to bail him out he attacks the Nazis again and has to run for it, stealing a car before eventaully jumping out of the speeding car.

In Wing's first episode we have
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQkoecIzng
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw

And my personal favorite, Relena introducing herself to thin air and then waiting for a response from said thin air.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 16, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Finished Zeta a couple of nights ago. It really ramps up the speed for the last couple episodes, just offing characters left and right, constant battle, very little explanation of how the politics were fitting together.

On one end, that's kind of a neat match for how Kamille's breaking down. On the other, it really feels awkward to go from episode after episode on various subplots to "And now Sarah's dead! And Katz! And Heinken! And the Titans are basically defeated! And Kamille chased off Yazan with psychic powers! And now it's over!"

It definitely reinforced the "Kamille is why Char gave up" side of the arguments. His last scenes are explaining that he doesn't want power, he's just going to sit back and let more and more people become Newtypes so things can get better. Kamille is his proof that can work, that he shouldn't rush things. Kamille is a reason for him to play the role (he's even on a stage when making the speech) of a good person, despite his lack of natural aptitude for the part.

Then Kamille winds up brain whammied, Haman is able to take power uncontested, and nothing shows the slightest sign of getting better. Char's decision makes sense... but even with how much of a dick he can be, jumping right from that scene to the beginning of CCA where he's dropping a meteor on the Earth can be a bit tricky to deal with. Char moving from point to point isn't absurd, but we don't see any of the connecting links, making it feel more awkward than it has to.

Overall, I think Zeta is very good, and I can see what makes people think of it as one of the best, but the awkward pacing hurts it, with major characters disappearing for arcs at a time, people being played up as important before awkwardly shuffling off the stage. The Rosamy plot has a great payoff with Kamille embracing Char's nihilistic traits to survive, but mostly it just feels redundant, and the emotional connection with her feels much weaker than the one with Four.

Definitely a grim ending, as people have said before. Almost everyone's dead, Zeon's going to come back, Kamille's snapped, and we don't even see if the Argama made it. IBO's ending is cheerier, even before the timeskip.Jumping into ZZ after that without warning back in the day... that must have been a trip and a half.

I'm less sure how I feel about the movie version's ending. Nice to see Kai and Sayla again, and it's nice to have something happy for Kamille and Fa, but it's not quite solid why the worst didn't happen, narratively or thematically.

So, yeah. Zeta. It's not my favorite, but it's a pretty good show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

NikkolasKing posted:

And my personal favorite, Relena introducing herself to thin air and then waiting for a response from said thin air.

She was fearless, and even crazier than him. She was his queen, and god help anyone who disrespected his queen.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Then Kamille winds up brain whammied, Haman is able to take power uncontested, and nothing shows the slightest sign of getting better. Char's decision makes sense... but even with how much of a dick he can be, jumping right from that scene to the beginning of CCA where he's dropping a meteor on the Earth can be a bit tricky to deal with. Char moving from point to point isn't absurd, but we don't see any of the connecting links, making it feel more awkward than it has to.

I feel like ZZ does a good job of presenting a world in Char's absence that drives him to that point. He worked really hard to pull the Federation out of the Titans' grasp, to the point of taking on the political responsibility he hated so much, and as soon as he left they turned to appeasing Haman Karn to keep their safety and positions. Add in the whole squad of Newtype youths who showed up, won a war, and immediately went "nah, this sucks" and abandoned any further involvement to go live on Jupiter or Shangri-La, plus the dissolution of the AEUG, and it's clear that Char's methods up to that point aren't getting him the results he wants.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

You know if the psyco Gundam hadn't inexplicably exploded from being stabbed in the head they could have given it to char or amuro

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

You know if the psyco Gundam hadn't inexplicably exploded from being stabbed in the head they could have given it to char or amuro

Pretty much every Newtype who went near the Psycho Gundam went "This is some seriously evil poo poo". It tries to brainwash its pilots into being extensions of itself, mindless killing machines.

I don't think just turning around and sticking Amuro in it would work out very well. Char probably wouldn't be enthusiastic either. Heck, even Char circa CCA might object. He's a piece of poo poo, but even at his worst he seems to think that Newtypes should be able to guide humanity... once he's done manipulating them into killing for him the old fashioned way. Even his cybernewtype is pretty much the most stable one we've seen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I took these forever ago because I ran into some people who really hated Fourand insisted she was a villain. Both Four and Amuro make it very clear the machine has a destructive effect on the pilot's mind and forces them to do things they might otherwise not have done.

It's about as Evil as you can get in the UC timeline since there is no ZERO System or Devil Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I took these forever ago because I ran into some people who really hated Fourand insisted she was a villain. Both Four and Amuro make it very clear the machine has a destructive effect on the pilot's mind and forces them to do things they might otherwise not have done.

It's about as Evil as you can get in the UC timeline since there is no ZERO System or Devil Gundam.

I don't know, I'd say the Blue Destiny is more evil considering what it is.