Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I definitely prefer the texture of PBT. It's just a nice feeling under your fingers.

I really wanted https://drop.com/buy/matt3o-nerd-dsa-keycap-set-massdrop-exclusive/ in elvish, but I had to stop checking Drop as often as I was.. so that's my loss and hopefully they come back. Anyone know of another PBT set that uses that same kind of purple on either modifiers, or primary keys? I love that shade, and the elvish script was just gonna be added flair to have yet another keyboard that people hate touching. Silent legends are another great 'don't touch this' keycap as an aside.

I'm probably just gonna order Keychron's k2 PBT keycap set, didn't realize they sold that separate until now.. e: i did this, don't know if i recommend it. the keycaps are not 1:1 k2's just PBT instead of ABS.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

onesixtwo posted:

I definitely prefer the texture of PBT. It's just a nice feeling under your fingers.

I really wanted https://drop.com/buy/matt3o-nerd-dsa-keycap-set-massdrop-exclusive/ in elvish, but I had to stop checking Drop as often as I was.. so that's my loss and hopefully they come back. Anyone know of another PBT set that uses that same kind of purple on either modifiers, or primary keys? I love that shade, and the elvish script was just gonna be added flair to have yet another keyboard that people hate touching. Silent legends are another great 'don't touch this' keycap as an aside.

I'm probably just gonna order Keychron's k2 PBT keycap set, didn't realize they sold that separate until now..

drat that Russian Mono set is tempting af.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
The Hades 68 is really great. It took a month to ship to my house from HK-Gaming but it's here and I really like it a replacement to my 4 year old Razer Blackwidow that was dying. Wasn't sure what kind of switches to go with but these Gateron Browns feel splendid to type on and are a decent amount quieter than the clanky poo poo of the Razer

Individual RGB is pretty neat though I'll probably end up with a much more plan setup for the lighting than this ridiculous poo poo

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Looking for a keyboard for my brother (it’ll be his first mechanical). He doesn’t care if it’s full sized or TKL, he would like some sort of backlighting (doesn’t have to be crazy rainbow), and preferred switches are tactile (was gonna get him something with cherry clears or equivalent). My first thought was a code, but it’s just a touch pricey — are there any thread-recommended slightly budget keyboards that have good build quality?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neurostorm posted:

Looking for a keyboard for my brother (it’ll be his first mechanical). He doesn’t care if it’s full sized or TKL, he would like some sort of backlighting (doesn’t have to be crazy rainbow), and preferred switches are tactile (was gonna get him something with cherry clears or equivalent). My first thought was a code, but it’s just a touch pricey — are there any thread-recommended slightly budget keyboards that have good build quality?

b-stock code? I paid $120 for my code with clears.

I really like all my Durgod keyboards but I got them all for $100 or less.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Neurostorm posted:

Durgod or GMMK

Durgod has a more options for switch/layout combinations. But no full-size RGB layout and not hotswap sockets.
GMMK gives you a full-size RGB option and has hotswap sockets. But only choice of switch is gatreon brown.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

.Z. posted:

Durgod or GMMK

Durgod has a more options for switch/layout combinations. But no full-size RGB layout and not hotswap sockets.
GMMK gives you a full-size RGB option and has hotswap sockets. But only choice of switch is gatreon brown.

They don't sell the barebones anymore? I bought one for switch testing and it's been solidly mediocre.

e: I just checked and you can order one without switches. Just get that and pick up some switches and keycaps somewhere.
Konostore still has Hako Clears for $22 for a 120 pack.
https://kono.store/products/hako-mechanical-switches?variant=277572878341

But they probably won't ship for a while because they are in the middle of moving warehouses.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neurostorm posted:

what about a Ducky? I have two and they are great.

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.

well why not posted:

what about a Ducky? I have two and they are great.

Seconding this. Just got a full size Ducky One 2 and love it. Might be a little pricey for you, because I paid $120 and mine doesn't have backlighting. But there might be other Ducky options out there that could fit your budget.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone have aliaz and know the pre-travel distance? I switched to gateron silent browns recently and the pre-travel distance is noticeably farther than my old mx reds. I've been using them for a month or two now, and the key has to travel too far to be pressed while typing. Looking to replace them with something that has less pretravel distance. It sucks that the speed switches don't have silent variants because they'd be nice for typing.

also, my gsbs tend to get "stuck" at the bottom. Is there a reason this happens and anything I can check? They don't get fully stuck they just sometimes have a large delay (~50ms-100ms) before they spring up. Seems to happen frequently with keys that are held down, like w in wasd games, alt/win during some key combinations, and right shift which I use almost exclusively. It doesn't happen when I quickly tap any of the keys, even if I bottom out with force.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 12, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Neurostorm posted:

Saddamnit posted:

Seconding this. Just got a full size Ducky One 2 and love it. Might be a little pricey for you, because I paid $120 and mine doesn't have backlighting. But there might be other Ducky options out there that could fit your budget.
The MK Night Typist I got (for $99) is a full sized, few-frills, rebranded Ducky with dimmable white backlighting. Plastic frame, but it doesn't feel cheap to me and does feel plenty solid. Doesn't have the option for clears though, just browns (which I got and am happy with), silent reds, blues, or kailh box whites. I quite like it so far, but I am just starting out in this hobby. :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What good PBT keycaps (groupbuys included) are available right now? Also deskmats.

I've missed out on some good ones recently because I wasn't paying attention, but I really need to start looking at keycaps since I should have switches for my office keeb coming soon.

I kinda like the EPBT Ivory and matching deskmat.
https://kono.store/products/epbt-ivory?variant=31863057678419

I can't wait until August 8th for the 808-boom groupbuy but I will be picking that up as well.
I really want a nice set of SA profile, spherical doubleshot shine through pbt keycaps but that's probably a stretch.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 13, 2020

mewse
May 2, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I really want a nice set of SA profile, spherical doubleshot shine through pbt keycaps but that's probably a stretch.

... I literally just ordered these last night:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000420211120.html

They're not real SA profile because it's just row2/row3 profile. Row1 is very tall on real SA sets and probably a bitch to work in PBT.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

mewse posted:

... I literally just ordered these last night:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000420211120.html

They're not real SA profile because it's just row2/row3 profile. Row1 is very tall on real SA sets and probably a bitch to work in PBT.

Funny, I was trying to find any decent looking sa pbt caps and landed on these lastnight. Didn’t pull the trigger on it yet but it’s on my open tab to do list. I don’t believe I’ve typed on SA before, so it should be a good enough experiment price point.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am not nearly as much of a keyboard nerd as most of you here, but my ancient corsair with red switches was starting to double register a few of the letters even after cleaning things up, so I decided it was time for a replacement. Doing research made me realize how drat crazy some people get over their keyboards. I didn't really want to do keycap replacements or care about RGB. I just wanted a good quality TKL keyboard that I could plug in and stop thinking about. I ended up buying one of these Leopold FC750R boards with silent reds.
https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3545

I have to say, it feels really nice. The board feels solid, and the keys have a nicer textured feel than the smooth keys on the corsair. I definitely see it earning a place on my desk here until it too eventually goes to keyboard heaven.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Hey,

I'm looking for a keyboard (prefer 60% or TenKeyless), wired
I don't want to build my own.

My main requirement is: programmable key function - I'd like to use CAPS LOCK as a FN key when held down, but I can still TAP capslock to use it.
Dedicated arrows keys? I could go either way. I really , really like the TAP functionality of the Anne Pro 2, which I currently use, but my keys are starting to doubledouble, which I think is a problem with the debounce on the hardware or software level. (I'll get doubled keyss now and then <-- just like that!)

Are there any highly recommended d (there it goes again) keyboards that anyone has had success with ? I've been looking into the Ducky One 2 mini, but I'm not sure the key programming is what I need.
Or any place I should look for more info?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

What good PBT keycaps (groupbuys included) are available right now? Also deskmats.

I've missed out on some good ones recently because I wasn't paying attention, but I really need to start looking at keycaps since I should have switches for my office keeb coming soon.

I kinda like the EPBT Ivory and matching deskmat.
https://kono.store/products/epbt-ivory?variant=31863057678419

I can't wait until August 8th for the 808-boom groupbuy but I will be picking that up as well.

Not too many really. A variant of the enjoyPBT 9009 keycap set is still available on KPRepublic.

This guy does a pretty good job at aggregating the available group buys:

https://mechgroupbuys.com/

I wouldn't be surprised if they lose interest in updating these in the future though since they almost always die off. You're better off keeping an eye out in Geekhack's group buy forum and r/mechmarket per usual.

Can't say I really see SA shinethrough looking that good to be honest. SA profile's deep enough that you probably won't get much shine through from the LEDs. Especially since most LEDs on keyboards now are SMT.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!

Saddamnit posted:

Just got my Ducky One 2 yesterday and it is awesome. Silent reds rock.

It feels like I been waiting forever for my Mecha Mini with Silent Reds.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’m struggling to think through what the difference between a brass plate labeled hot swap and one labeled solder would be.

Eg the KBD67v2 mkii has a plate labeled hot swap and a plate labeled solder.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

The solder plate on the kbd67 has no screw holes or place for standoffs to go, it's only held together by the solder joints. Then the solder pcb also does not have any kind of holes for screws, so make sure you don't mix and match those.

Struggled with that this week because the package included a baggy with screws and standoffs with no place for them to go. Went into the kbdfans discord and they cleared it up for me.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Willeh posted:

The solder plate on the kbd67 has no screw holes or place for standoffs to go, it's only held together by the solder joints. Then the solder pcb also does not have any kind of holes for screws, so make sure you don't mix and match those.

Struggled with that this week because the package included a baggy with screws and standoffs with no place for them to go. Went into the kbdfans discord and they cleared it up for me.

Got it!

I had forgotten I ordered the solder PCB/plate until I started to put it all together today. I think by the time I loaded the page from the last restock they had sold out of hotswap combos. I am still pretty new to custom keyboards so I actually want to hold off until I can get hotswap parts so I can try different switches. I’m no stranger to soldering but the convenience of hotswap is real.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notice for the high profile CTRL I ordered. Hope it's soon.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have a Ducky Shine circa 2013. I love this thing and really don't intend to replace it except that the backlighting is starting to go out. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace this backlighting. It seems so wasteful to get a new keyboard because something so tertiary to the function of the keyboard is failing.

Is it possible to replace LED backlighting on a keyboard?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Anything is possible. Depends what is wrong, but you could probably fix most things if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Or possibly just a cleaning of the PCB

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Shiiiiiiiit Durgod is finally putting out a Bluetooth keyboard and it's being done in the style of the classic NES.

Of course it shows up like right after I order the keychron k8.

https://fusion.durgod.com/

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Shiiiiiiiit Durgod is finally putting out a Bluetooth keyboard and it's being done in the style of the classic NES.

Oh man those look good. I really enjoy the Hades 68 and would be super tempted to buy one of those as an alternative keyboard in a way to try red switches, as much as I love the Gat Browns

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like how they don't know how inches work lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zarin posted:

Lol everyone should do that

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Zarin posted:

haha I know. I assumed there was supposed to be a decimal in there somewhere, but it still gave me a chuckle.
If it's anything like any of the other 4 Durgod products I've bought, then the drawings/renderings/documentation are the worst part of the product.
I fully expect them to be built like a brick shithouse and actually work properly.

The dual bluetooth and 2.4ghz "wifi" modes are an interesting swing though. I would have been fine with just bluetooth but I guess it's cool covering ALL your bases.
Now that I think about it, what even IS 2.4G wifi?
Do they literally mean this thing networks? wtf?

I assumed it meant 2.4Ghz with a dongle...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 15, 2020

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

haha I know. I assumed there was supposed to be a decimal in there somewhere, but it still gave me a chuckle.
If it's anything like any of the other 4 Durgod products I've bought, then the drawings/renderings/documentation are the worst part of the product.
I fully expect them to be built like a brick shithouse and actually work properly.

Haha, I just checked, and they divided MM by 2.54 instead of 25.4, then rounded off at the nearest integer because "whatever, close enough, who uses these dumb moon units anyway"

They're not wrong :v:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

onesixtwo posted:

I'm probably just gonna order Keychron's k2 PBT keycap set, didn't realize they sold that separate until now..

yeah i'm not sure if I recommend doing this, after doing it. The keycaps are significantly shorter than the default ABS keys that came on the k2, and the feeling of them really isn't that different than ABS. It's half as gritty as my other PBT keys on my CTRL. The shallowness of the keycaps are baffling to me. Nothing on the site suggested i'd be getting a shorter keycap.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just received this baby

I've wanted one with a trackpoint for a while and this seems to be the only option nowadays other than those obscure knockoff Model Ms.

It feels feels great but I'll definitely need to remap Caps Lock as I do on laptops but never bothered on the desktop. One thing I didn't notice when ordering is that the function keys have no spacing every 4 keys, I think this must be an older layout like on the T430s before they updated it, this kind of sucks. Also the included USB cable is pretty short and won't reach my tower, though I have an extender for now.

Not yet sure I'll be able to adjust to the missing all the navigation and numpad on the desktop yet but I'm happy to just have it anyway.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
If you ever wanted to delve into mech keyboards, then TEX keyboards are a thing, but $$$$.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://drop.com/talk/39383/gmk-think-caps

make this happen.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

no ergodox set :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Yeah that kind of sucks.

Is there a decent numpad available that's similar to the Ducky Pocket? Bonus points if it's USB-C or bluetooth.

The IQKB kit is really nice lookin but, its like 3 years old and not available right now:
https://drop.com/buy/iqkb-bluetooth-mechanical-numpad-diy-kit

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 16, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Constellation I posted:

If you ever wanted to delve into mech keyboards, then TEX keyboards are a thing, but $$$$.
How bad could it be? Oh... still cheaper than the magic keyboard at least

That's a very good troll with that B key

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

mobby_6kl posted:

How bad could it be? Oh... still cheaper than the magic keyboard at least

That's a very good troll with that B key

I kind of want to replace all the alphas with dots instead.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Been a sneaker around this thread because I love mechanical keyboards - and luckily I swung by and saw the Keychron Kickstarter for the K8. Hopped on that for the base model to try out their line of keyboards. I almost was able to pick up at K2 at a second-hand shop that I saw on Friday for $50. Unfortunately by the time I got home to call and have it put aside, it was gone.

Currently I rock a Rosewill RK-9000 with red switches. Used to have it in blues, but my wife was about to murder me in my sleep since I've been working from home more in the past few years. I love it, but it's a huge monster and takes up a lot of real estate. With the K8 and my wireless mouse, I'll have a lot more space on my desk without worry of cables and tugging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What's a good ergonomic wired keyboard? I have a logitech k120 now and I want to replace it with something better. Everything I've seen so far is either wireless or has some obnoxious backlighting.