Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jack Trades posted:

Every enemy in your range won't be in a vortex for long because Vauban doesn't have an energy generator. Even Zenurik won't be able to give you enough energy regen for that many vortexes, not that a frame should be relying on focus schools or arcanes to be usable.

Energy pizzas exist you know.
Its not like they're expensive or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Heresy

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

As it stands right now he's just a mediocre but flashy glass cannon that doesn't particularly excel at anything.
I mean, you're talking to SI here. This frame type is his jam.

Jack Trades posted:

Every enemy in your range won't be in a vortex for long because Vauban doesn't have an energy generator. Even Zenurik won't be able to give you enough energy regen for that many vortexes, not that a frame should be relying on focus schools or arcanes to be usable.

God you're so wrong, how does it feel to be so stupid

VORTICES

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

*not that a frame should be relying on focus schools or arcanes or consumables to be usable.

Just because you can alleviate Vauban's bad design by using consumables as a crutch doesn't make him any less bad.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Raptor1033 posted:

God you're so wrong, how does it feel to be so stupid

VORTICES

Vorticii

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

*not that a frame should be relying on focus schools or arcanes or consumables to be usable.

Just because you can alleviate Vauban's bad design by using consumables as a crutch doesn't make him any less bad.

Name frames that are usable without relying on any of the above

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
some frames are energy hogs, is all. nothing wrong with that, since there are options for feeding them that energy. like, yeah it sucks for newbies but everything in this game sucks for newbies.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got the umbra forma from NW last night. Next I need those silly shoulder pads.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

max efficiency Ember with the energy augment?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Everything designed by Pablo.

EDIT: In case you're not aware what he designed, that would be nu-Nezha, Harrow, Protea, Saryn and Garuda. I love his frames because they're all designed with self-sufficiency in mind although Saryn could be argued that she needs an extra boost.

Additionally there's Trinity and Hildryn that generate their own energy. Inaros, Wukong, Valkyr and Nekros that generate own energy from Rage.
Also there's "1 button wonder" frames such as Rhino, Mirage and Wisp that have main abilities that are so good and low cost that they can still be good on passive energy orb collection.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of frames too.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 15, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
have you considered (a) not dumping efficiency to 45%, or (b) picking up energy orbs

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

have you considered (a) not dumping efficiency to 45%, or (b) picking up energy orbs

Have you considered using your abilities?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Screaming Idiot posted:

THE SQUAD Tesla Nervos (god drat you, Triburos)

I hear his voice every time I press 1, I can't tell if he ruined playing Vauban or made it way better

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I've had a decent Chroma Prime build set up with a Rubico Prime to fight some Eidolons a while ago. Though it relied on self damaging exploding throwing stars to beef up the Vex armor buff. How do people do it now? Just hope to take enough damage but not die from the Eidolon itself?

I tried that last night and it sort of worked for the most part, but I was struggling to have enough energy to re-apply vex armor before it ran out in order to keep the damage buff going. The big Magenetize AOE the Eidolons use just sap all my energy and makes it quite hard to re-apply vex armor. I'm just curious how other people do it now after they removed self damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
generally if you want to do dolons fast you have a harrow cancel out the mag waves. that, or a maxed arcane nullifier but that's pretty much only useful for dolons.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Self damage was changed so buffing Chroma's Vex Armor takes more effort nowadays (namely, Combat Discipline, but... why?). There's plenty of frames that can take Chroma's position as the DPSer on Eidolons anyway.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've had a decent Chroma Prime build set up with a Rubico Prime to fight some Eidolons a while ago. Though it relied on self damaging exploding throwing stars to beef up the Vex armor buff. How do people do it now? Just hope to take enough damage but not die from the Eidolon itself?

I tried that last night and it sort of worked for the most part, but I was struggling to have enough energy to re-apply vex armor before it ran out in order to keep the damage buff going. The big Magenetize AOE the Eidolons use just sap all my energy and makes it quite hard to re-apply vex armor. I'm just curious how other people do it now after they removed self damage.
If you have the buff up, you won't die. I eat the magnetic wave and just use vex before it wears off. I'm purely pubbing eidolons so no pro-strats unfortunately.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

Everything designed by Pablo.

EDIT: In case you're not aware what he designed, that would be nu-Nezha, Harrow, Protea, Saryn and Garuda. I love his frames because they're all designed with self-sufficiency in mind although Saryn could be argued that she needs an extra boost.

Additionally there's Trinity and Hildryn that generate their own energy. Inaros, Wukong, Valkyr and Nekros that generate own energy from Rage.
Also there's "1 button wonder" frames such as Rhino, Mirage and Wisp that have main abilities that are so good and low cost that they can still be good on passive energy orb collection.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple of frames too.

Please enlighten me how using protea, nezha, mirage, wisp or saryn to the fullest will be self-sufficient?
By what you said any frame can be 'self sufficient' and rely on passive orb collection. I too can afk in octavia after pressing 1 3 4.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You can run a Decaying Dragon Key to dump your shield..A better alternative is to forget about chroma and just use volt or a smite infusion oberon.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, smite works on dolons?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Please enlighten me how using protea, nezha, mirage, wisp or saryn to the fullest will be self-sufficient?
By what you said any frame can be 'self sufficient' and rely on passive orb collection. I too can afk in octavia after pressing 1 3 4.

First of all, when it comes to Mirage and Wisp I said "can still be good on passive energy orb collection" not "using to the fullest". Wisp's 1 and Mirage 1+3 both are the main abilities you want those frames for and are low cost enough that you can have 100% uptime without any extra energy generation besides passive energy orb drops.

Saryn is so fat, has access to self-healing and needs so little energy that she can generate all she needs from a single Rage.

Nezha has 3 separate sources of energy generation.
His 2 generates Energy Orbs on it's own.
Equilibrium + the fact that his 3 only has 90% DR will let you generate energy from Health Orbs that are generated by his 2 (you can also use Synth Fiber to be able to pick up Health Orbs at full HP).
90% DR on his 3 and healing from his 2 lets you sustainably use Rage/Hunter's Adrenaline on him.

Protea just has unlimited energy.
Equip Equilibrium on her and Synth Fiber on your Sentinel (you can actually skip both but then you'd have to raise your Efficiency for this to be practical) then use her 4 before dropping any abilities.
During her 4 you can drop her 3, preferably at +100% Strength bonus, which will drop energy and health orbs for you, and when your 4 ends all of the energy your spent will be refunded with the exception of the energy that you spend on the 4 itself, which you will get back from that 3 I mentioned earlier.
I tried it in sortie defense and I could easily maintain 100% uptime on her 4 without any additional energy generation.

hth

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

genericnick posted:

Smite infusion is an augment that gives you and allies +100% radiation damage which is pretty good in the damage phase of dolons..

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

genericnick posted:

oberon already gets a lot out of strength and smite infusion buffs weapon damage based on strength. it scales pretty well and is a lot easier to maintain than vex armor.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oberon already gets a lot out of strength and smite infusion buffs weapon damage based on strength. it scales pretty well and is a lot easier to maintain than vex armor.

I haven't done the exact math or anything, but isn't 100% more Radiation damage from the smite infusion way less than the 600% (+) you can get from vex armor? Or are you saying the ease of using smite vs vex armor is a better trade-off?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I mean, I did tridolons exactly once and had no real idea what to do. I knew about the rad procs so I tried to lay Oberon's carpet, but that didn't help much. Maybe I'll try the smite augment next time. Is there any clear visual cue for the vulnerable parts? I find the whole procedure pretty hard to read.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I haven't done the exact math or anything, but isn't 100% more Radiation damage from the smite infusion way less than the 600% (+) you can get from vex armor? Or are you saying the ease of using smite vs vex armor is a better trade-off?

Chroma is better, but Smite Infusion winds up being closer to 200% radiation damage on a well built oberon and the rest of Oberon's kit is valuable. Oberon is my pubbie eidolon boy, he can make even the worst team smooth

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I've ran 4 or so sets of ediolons every day for the past weeks and use chroma prime+chakkhurr. Far from optimal but works well enough in pubbies to pull about 2x3 and maybe 3x3 if the group is hustling. I would use volt or rhino but have no prime version and not investing resources into regular frames. Trinity would be good but often lures don't die and you can get a few spares for the 2nd and 3rd eidolons if you are worried. In pub groups, I rarely get to kill synovia because for whatever reason people race to kill them. So, being able to drop the shield quickly helps a lot. I use a 727 with virtuos strike because the klamora prism keeps the crit buff active for the duration of its blast. I have a x77 and virtuos shadow but that's way harder than just using the goku beam. Maybe I'll master them one day.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I joined a railjack mission for Nightwave and I have zero idea as to what’s happening help

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yes you are right, vex armor is going to be better. If you dont want to deal with vex armor after the self damage nerf just saying Oberon is a good alternative to chroma.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

genericnick posted:

I mean, I did tridolons exactly once and had no real idea what to do. I knew about the rad procs so I tried to lay Oberon's carpet, but that didn't help much. Maybe I'll try the smite augment next time. Is there any clear visual cue for the vulnerable parts? I find the whole procedure pretty hard to read.

that's pretty much the eidolon experience. The vulnerable parts are radiator-looking things at the arm/leg joints. They're pretty distinctive once you know what to look for but it's more a case of "spotting them through the visual soup which is all the effects" than them having a clear cue of their own.

Part of the reason old eidolon meta was so strong was that it split the group into reasonably discrete tasks so you only had to do your part and you didn't have to get overwhelmed by trying to do everything. I have no idea what it's like now, I hear redeemer prime is a thing or something?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The only thing they changed re: Eidolons is they're easier. Less shield HP, more visibility at night.

Redeemer Prime was the go-to weapon for a while because with it you could one-shot limbs, no damage frame necessary -- all you needed was a heavy attack build. DE nerfed the Redeemer so that its falloff is now incredibly punishing, and while it still technically works it's harder to one-shot the upper limbs with it now unless you're standing on a ledge above the Eidolon or similar.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The only thing they changed re: Eidolons is they're easier. Less shield HP, more visibility at night.

They nerfed eidolon armor too. Found that out because my sarpa started overstripping

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
With Eidolon healthbars :
If you are in spoiler mode, Purple means it's in it's shield phase. (They are overshields so they don't regen.) Grey means it's in damage phase.
When in your frame : Grey means it's invulnerable at that point. Yellow means you can shoot it. Aim for the big radiators at the joints (once destroyed they should be visibly absent.) You can mark the joints individually. I don't thiiink damage on any joint that isn't destroyed is kept, but dunno for sure.

Hotkey your gear wheel, drop energy pizzas is the easier way of recovering from mag procs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the math on smite infusion is pretty simple- your power strength is the boost percentage. so 100% str =100% bonus. even a relatively tame oberon build can hit 250 str, and goatman is a pretty good choice for a full umbral build which lets you get past 300 with ease. a maximized vex armor is obviously stronger, but that's got its own problems now.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

goblin week posted:

I joined a railjack mission for Nightwave and I have zero idea as to what’s happening help

sit your rear end in one of the side turrets and leech, whoever is hosting almost certainly knows what's up.

I would suggest taking 10 minutes to watch this video if you want to understand the very very basics better -- it helped me a lot when I started railjacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OyAV_jGU8Q

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Soothing Vapors posted:

sit your rear end in one of the side turrets and leech,

Honestly, if the pilot is using tether, shooting the turrets will only slow them down (prematurely detonating the tether). It's kind of dumb

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

BMan posted:

Honestly, if the pilot is using tether, shooting the turrets will only slow them down (prematurely detonating the tether). It's kind of dumb

that's a really fair point. okay just stand in a corner and leech. fight boarders and put out fires. and do not touch the helm under any circumstances

also OP if you run RJ with goons instead of pubs, no one will ever yell at you

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Maybe fly around in archwing and pick up drops, that's something anybody can do and be useful

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Raptor1033 posted:

I mean, you're talking to SI here. This frame type is his jam.

The gently caress is that supposed to mean?

Also, between my my arcanes and my Dethcube Prime energy generator, energy was never a problem. I think I had to whip out a pizza once, but only because I was too lazy to waddle out of my Bastille within vacuum range of an energy pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I have a maxed out (rank 40) Paracesis. It's supposed to be a big anti sentient sword. Any chance this thing could be useful (assuming I can even accurately melee the joints since they're kind of high up)